• ベストアンサー

英語のルーツ

Robahyanの回答

• Robahyan
  • ベストアンサー率0% (0/11)
回答No.3

聞いた話ですが、昔イギリスでは紀元前までケルト語を話していたと言われています。そのころから紀元後までローマ帝国の支配下にあったにもかかわらず、ケルト人はイングランドから離れた周辺部へ追いやられ、ラテン語の影響はそれほど大きくはなかったようです。 5世紀以降にアングル族、サクソン族、ジュート族がヨーロッパ大陸の今のドイツ北部あたりからやって来て、ケルト族の一派であるブリトン族を西方に追いやり、アングロサクソン語を定着させたらしいです。このときの言葉がいわゆる little words といわれる1音節の短い単語です。 8世紀以降北欧からバイキングが侵攻してきてイングランドをほぼ征服、彼らの話すゲルマン語が非常に親和性のあるアングロサクソン語と混ざり合っていったわけです。 その後11世紀にノルマン人がイングランドを征服、今度はラテン語が大きく英語に影響を及ぼすことになったそうです。それがもたらしたものは big words と呼ばれる比較的長い単語です。 今でも英語には同じような意味を持っていて違う単語が多く存在するのはそういう歴史があるからだそうです。 たとえば、hard がゲルマン語源、difficult がラテン語源ということらしいです。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳を頼みます。

お願いします 1 The world is becoming a "global village" right before our eyes. English is emerging as the international language. It is the first language of many nations and a second language in countries such as India and Nigeria. 2 Why is English so adaptable? Its history provides one clue. English has always been open to new words from different tongues. This is not the situation in France, Italy, or Spain, where language academies have kept their respective languages free of foreign words.

• 翻訳お願いします。

the world is bicoming a gloval village right before our eyes.english is emergining as the international languege. it is the first languege of many nations and a second languege in countries such as india and naigeria. why is english so adaptable? its history provides one clue . english has always been open to new words from different tongue . this is not the sistuation is france ,italy or spein , where languege academies try to keep their respective language free of foreine words.

• 「レベルアップ」を英語で

「レベルアップ」って和製英語ですよね。さて、次の文を英訳してみました。 “英語を介してフランス語を勉強すると、フランス語よりも英語のレベルアップになるのではないかと思います。英語とフランス語を比べると 動詞の活用はフランス語の方がはるかに多いですが、時制に関しては英語の方が細かいです。例えば フランス語の複合過去は英語の過去と現在完了に対応していますが、フランス語の複合過去に両方の意味があるのではなく、区別がないだけなんです。” I think that if you study French through English, you'll improve your English rather than French. Compared English with French, though French has the much more complicated conjugation than English, It's English that possesses more detailed tense than French. For exemple, French compound past correponds both to English past and present perfect, but it is not that French compound past expresses two notion of time, but it just makes no ditinction between these two. 手持ちの和英辞典に「レベルアップ」という単語がなかったので、ここでは improveを用いましたが、それでいいんでしょうか? その他にも、英文でおかしな箇所がありましたら ご指摘くださいませ。

• 英語の詳しい方、翻訳をお願いします。相手はフランス人からのメールなので英語がめちゃめちゃかもしれません。

英語の詳しい方、翻訳をお願いします。相手はフランス人からのメールなので英語がめちゃめちゃかもしれません。 鞄をフランスに送ったのですが税関の問題で日本に帰ってくるという内容のメールです。 よろしくお願いします。 they want the bill of the bag and to pay the taxes and TVA. I am so sorry because I want this bag. I bought you 2 bags and it was no problem I don't know why this time it like this ! I am so sorry but I don't speak well english !

• 英語の得意な皆さんならどう訳されますか?

いつもお世話になり、ありがとうございます。 英語の得意な皆さんならどう英訳されるか伺いたいです。 よろしくお願いします。 色々な国の言葉を覚えて、挨拶だけでもいいから話せる様になりたい。 I want to learn lots of foreign languages and to learn at least words for greeting. 英単語を覚えるのも一苦労だけど、英語以外の言葉は尚更頭に入らない。 I have a hard time learning English words, much less words in other languages.

• 翻訳お願いします。

many cultures have contributed to modern english. in the fifth century ,Anglo-saxons from continental europe who spoke a garmanic tongue invaded the british isles. therefore ,english contains various basic words that derive from garman.for instance ,the english words home and garden descend from the garman heim and garden ,respective. the french conquest of england changed english significantly.first ,because french was originally a latin dialect,many latin prefixes ,suffixes ,and root entered english .second,many french words related to food ,fation ,the art ,and govement enriched the english vocabulary.some new words replaced their germanic counter parts:others coexisted with them as synonyms .

• 日本語の駄洒落を英語で説明して

I heard the Japanese phrase "A futon has been blown off" is a joke. Tell me why this phrase is a joke. Answer in English and alphabets, don't use Japanese characters.

• 中学と高校の教師の資格を英語で

「彼女は中学と高校の英語の教師の免許をもっている」は She has teacher's licenses in English for junior high and high school. でいいのですか。 for が自信ないんですがよろしくお願いします。

• 英語で言うと、どれが適切ですか?

英語で「明日から英語で日記を書いてみようかな」というようなニュアンスを表す時、下記の英文のどれを使うか迷っています。 下記の英文の中で、適切で自然な言い方はどれですか? あと、おかしい箇所があれば教えていただけると嬉しいです! (1)I'll try to write a diary in English from tomorrow. (2)I think try to write a diary in English from tomorrow. (3)I'm going to try writing a diary entry in English from tomorrow.

• 英語

空所に入る適切な語句 You probably know that the modern  Japanese language has hundreds of English loan wordsーwords that Japanese have (1) from English and adopted to fit into their own language. For English speakers, tracing these words back to their (2) is not very difficult. For example, “sukejuuru” is the (3) of the English “ schedule”, and “intaanetto” is “internet”. Since loan words like these have become part of native Japanese speakers’ everyday vocabulary, there is (4) chance that they will stop using them. However, there are many loan words that have remained unfamiliar to Japanese. To help (5) with this problem, one national institute drew up a list of Japanese terms for difficult loan words. One of the loan words on the list is "yunibaasaru dezain”(universal design). Since this word has not (6) root, the institute came up with another expression in Japanese with the same meaning: “bannin-muke sekkei”. 1borrowed found imitated studied 2concept idea origin reason 3equal equality equation equivalent 4few little several some 5concern deal handle treat 6grown got made taken (1)は特にどれも当てはまる気がしてなかなか解答を決定し辛かったです。 文法的な誤り指摘問題です。 1 When our friends (arrived) and (went into) our garden, they (were fallen) over the flower pot that (lay) in front of them (on) the path. 2 By the time I (made it home) from work, my son (was waiting) outside the house for (more than) three hours because he (had forgotten) his key once again. 3 As I (was returning) to my car, I discovered that I (had left) my keys at the restaurant (which) I (had been talking) with (a number of) friends. 4 I can't see my grandmother (without feeling sad), as she is (any more) the wise woman (that) (she used to be). 5 The journalist (fell ill) after (working) for thirty hours (in success) (to cover the visit) of the famous soccer player. 6 (Fewer) hours of sunshine and lower temperatures (have affected) sales of summer items last year, but manufacturers (are hoping) that demand for these items (will rise) this year. 7 (If) we quickly provide customers (with) the right item, they often got the impression (which) we (have done) something “extra” for them. 多分これではないかという見当はありますが、何故かの根拠がはっきり分かりませんでした。