• ベストアンサー
  • すぐに回答を!

訳のヘルプお願いします!!

The dream of the race is that it may make itself better and wiser than it is,and every great philosopher or artist who has ever appeared among us has turned his face away from what man is toward whatever seems to him most godlike that man may become. 「競争の夢は、本当の競争よりもよかったり、賢かったりすることがあるかもしれない。そしてかつて存在した偉大な哲学者や芸術家達はみな、人間がなれるかもしれない最も神に近いと(自分にとって)思われるどんなものからも顔を背けてきた。」 としてみたのですが、最初の部分の意味が訳してみても、よくわかりません。 またfrom what man is toward whatever seems to him most godlike that man may become.の部分の構造がはっきりとはわからないのですが、教えていただけないでしょうか。 whatever seems godlikeでひとくくりなのはわかりました。大学入試の問題だったらしいです。 どうかよろしくお願いします。

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 回答数4
  • 閲覧数81
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 回答No.3
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)

The dream of the race is that it may make itself better and wiser than it is (now), 種(=人類?)の夢は、自分たち自身を(今)より良く、より賢くすることだ。 every great philosopher or artist who has ever appeared among us has turned his face away from what man is これまで我々の中から出現した哲学者や芸術家はみんな、人間が(実際には)どのようなものであるかには頓着せず、 (ever great philosoher or artist has turned his face) toward whatever seems to him most godlike that man may become. 彼(哲学者や芸術家)から見て人間はどこまで神に近いものになりうるのかを、問題にしてきた。 turn his face away from XXX toward YYY. =xxxから顔を背けて、yyyに向ける what man is =人間が何であるか。実際の人間 whatever seems to him most godlike 何であれ、彼にとって、最も神のように見えるもの aaa that man may become 人間がなることができるaaa

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

>turn his face away from XXX toward YYY. やっとすっきりしました。 ご回答ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (3)

• 回答No.4
noname#202629
noname#202629

The dream of the race is that it may make itself better and wiser than it is,and every great philosopher or artist who has ever appeared among us has turned his face away from what man is toward whatever seems to him most godlike that man may become. 「そして、かつて存在した偉大な哲学者や芸術家はみな、彼らに取って、人が成リ得る神に最も近づくことが、どのように見えようが、神になることには顔を背けてきた。」 the dream of race = 人類の夢 URL参照  race = 3. humankind: humanity considered as a whole the fate of the race

参考URL:
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861697640

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からの補足

>the dream of race = 人類の夢 ありがとうございます。 では No.3 さんのように turn A away と turn toward~と取るのは間違いですか。 そうするとtowardのあたりの構造が又よくわからなくなってしまうのですが、教えていただけないですか。 よろしくお願いします。

• 回答No.2

raceを「競争」の代わりに「人種」としてみてはいかがでしょう?

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

raceを人種にしてみても、やっぱりよくわかりません(;;) ご回答ありがとうございました。

• 回答No.1

これのソース原稿には前段があるのではないでしょうか?真ん中から抜粋されてしまって脈絡が不明な感じです。 最初の分の"The dream of the race is that it may make itself better and wiser than it is,"だけでは、itが何を指すかはっきりわかりませんよね。Dreamなのか、Raceなのか、Raceに参加する人なのか?(もっと前の文章内にあるのでは、とかんぐっています)  DreamがWiseやBetterになるわけでないだろうからDreamじゃないはずだし。Raceのことを言っているのかな? 私なりの読解は以下のとおりです。 「、それ自体をよりよいものにしたりより賢くしたりするものこそが、Raceの夢なのである。」 and以下の文は、二つにわけて考えましょう。 Every great philosopher or artist-- has turned his face away from XXXXX 「偉大な哲学者や芸術家達はみなXXXXから顔を背けてきた。」 Man is XXXXX toward whatever seems to him most godlike that man may become. 「人間がなれるかもしれない最も神に近いと思われるモノに対して人間はXXXXである。」 XXXXは、ナニ、とこの文だけじゃわからないですけど、臆病、畏怖、恐れ、みたいな人間の潜在的な感情的なものみたいに読めますね。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご説明ありがとうございます。 後半の文のthat man may becomeの先行詞はwhatever なんですね。 ご回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 訳をお願いします。

訳をお願いします。 In the 1980s, children's favorite food was curry and rice. At that time, sushi was an expensive food; it was something that people ate on special days. Today, the food that children like most is sushi. Why has sushi become so popular? The reason is clear: we can get fish more easily, because of the increase in fish farming and the development of freezing technology. Most of the tuna sold at the supermarket comes from fish farms or from distant oceans such as the South Pacific or the Indian Ocean. With such fish, kaiten-zushi bars and delivery shops are able to sell sushi more cheaply. As the number of these bars and shops has grown, sushi has become much more popular.

• 英文の和訳をお願いします

What do our customers pay us for? Why do they buy from us? In a competitive, non-monopolistic market, and that is what the world has become, there is absolutely no reason why a customer should buy from you rather than from your competitor. None. He pays you because you give him something that is of value to him. What is it that we get paid for? You may think this is a simple question. It is not. I have now been working with some of the world’s biggest manufacturers, producers, even in Slovenia. I have been asking that question now for a year. We have two kinds of customers: one, of course, is the retailer and, if that soap or that detergent or that mayonnaise is not on the retailer’s shelves, the housewife won’t buy it.

• 訳お願いします!

夢についての話だと思います。 訳お願いしますm(._.)m お願いします! Flying If you dream about flying and looking down on the people below, you may have an inferiority complex. Your dream may express your desire to be looked up to by others. Or, if you find yourself flying so high that you can't see anything below and feel no fear of falling, it may mean that you want to escape from your burdens. Climbing You may think that a dream about climbing mountains means you are trying to overcome difficulties. Whether or not this is true may depend on what kind of mountain you are climbing. If you are climbing a mountain with heavy snow and cold winds in winter, it may mean that you are in a bad situation. However, if you are climbing a mountain in warm weather in spring, it may mean that your life is going well. Being Chased If you dream about a person following you, it may mean that you have thoughts you wish to escape from. For example, you may be thinking you did something wrong. Or, if you are being chased by wild animals, it may mean you have strong characteristics in yourself that you want to escape from.

• 訳をお願いします!

確認したいのでお願いします。 As a parent, I seek to encourage my child in whatever way might help her to reach her potential. I find it difficult to stop myself praising him for being smart , as if telling her she is smart will help her to become more so. Dweck divides the population into two camps: those who view intelligence as fixed and unchangeable and those who see it as malleable - something that can be changed through effort. Kids reared in a fixed mindset household may seek to avoid challenges in order to continue appearing "smart." A child who has been reared with a growth mindset is more likely to seek challenges. The bigger the challenge," Dweck says, "the more they stretch."

• 現在完了の文

こんばんは。英語についての質問です。 例文 He has become what he is by industry.「彼は勤勉によって今の彼になった」 という文章ですが、これをIndustryから書き始めると、 Industry made him what he is. なのか、 Industry has made him what he is. になるのか、またはそれ以外なのか教えていただきたいです。

• すごーく長いので、出来たら訳をお願いしたいです

He is an interesting man, but there has been obscurity and misery in his life. He has faced some long and hard past ordeal, or unfavorable circumstances or darkness of spirit has shadowed him and dogged his footsteps. He is stalwart and hardened by the struggle, and a little fatalistic and guided often on his course by his instincts as to what will bring him luck and what wont. He knows what direction he wants to follow in life and struggles against adversities in a dignified way. But he is an unsettled man with a changing unreliable life and a restless determination to rise about him. One who is never at rest or at peace but always on the move. He has a receptive mind, a wild energy and life of much turmoil and contradiction. An ambitious man, but with many impractical dreams, who fools himself into thinking he is capable of achieving more than he can, and so no matter how hard he tries, how successful he is. his goals remain always distant, out of reach or just beyond his capability. He is one of life's takers, not one of life's givers. He takes what's given for granted and exploits it in any way he can, to get further gains. To heap up favours or wealth, a grasping nature, that when given something, extracts more, but gives little or nothing back. He ceases opportunities where he can. Lives by his wits exploits his own reserves, but fails to learn from his bad luck and failures. すみません。やはり長すぎますね・・

• 訳の検証お願いします。

It does not necessarily imply, what is obviously incorrect, that all the work done by scientists has resulted, however unconsciously on their part, from some pressing social need. の英文の訳が以下 のように 「しかし、そう言ったからとて、科学者のする仕事はすべて、科学者自身にとってはいかに無意識であっても、なにかさしせまった社会的要求から生まれたものだというような、明らかにまちがったことを言っているわけではない。」 となっているのですが、特にwhat is obviously incorrectのあたりがどうしてこうなるのかよく意味がわかりません。その部分は挿入節と解説には書いてあったのですが、もっと直訳っぽく 「科学者のする仕事はすべて、科学者自身にとってはいかに無意識であっても、なにかさしせまった社会的要求から生まれたものだということを、明らかに間違っていることなのだが、意味しているわけではない。」というようにしては変でしょうか。

• 英語の問題です!至急解答お願いします!

以下の英語の問題の解答を教えてください! (1)同じ意味の文にし、日本語にしなさい。 a:It seems that our teacher is angry. →Our teacher ( ) ( ) ( ) angry. 訳:____________________________________________ b:It said that the man has a lot of old coins. →The man is ( ) ( ) ( ) a lot of old coins. 訳:____________________________________________ c:I'm too busy to read a book. →I'm ( ) ( ) ( ) I ( ) read a book. 訳:____________________________________________ (2)次の文を日本語にしなさい。 a:It is said that there are a lot of beautiful birds in the mountain. 訳:____________________________________________ b:Last evening I was too tired to go to see a movie. 訳:____________________________________________ c:My father always tells me to be kind to old people. 訳:____________________________________________ d:Roy studies science very hard in order to become a scientist. 訳:____________________________________________ e:Julia seems to be angry with me. 訳:____________________________________________ f:The man seems to have learned Chinese when he was young. 訳:______________________________________________ よろしくお願いします。

• 英語 訳お願いします!

英語 訳をお願いします! There is an old saying:“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime.” However,today, this saying may no longer be true. The reason is overfishing. Open waters and government pay lead to too many fishermen. better technology makes it easier to catch more fish. 以上です! 話の一部一部を抜いたものなので訳しにくかったらすいません!

• 訳をお願いします。

I'm just surging with anger right now. I can't help it. I think what he did is wrong. why could't he just once give in and not be so controlling. It helps to write these feelings down. I can't talk to him. He overpowers me with his words in no time.then there's the fact that I cant' put what I'm trying to say in the right way. What I want to say never comes out the way I envision it in my head. why is that? I wonder If I could have prevented the fight by going out there myself, then again maybe he would have told me the same things. If I told him any of my feelings he would immediately tell me "the angels are controlling you."I need him to give me the freedom to talk to him, but right now that's not going to happen. So I will only let these feelings flow through me and out this pencil. It's weird, but I already feel the tension leaving me and soon I will only be left with the memory of this night to think about and analyze, rethink, and come to a conclusion about what to do. Maybe the tension is leaving me because I'm no longer around him; I'm out here in my own space. I love my tent! It's my own space to do with as I wish. As soon as I see him again, all I want to do is tell him how wrong he was to do that. But he will never take responsibility for what he does. It''always someone else's fault,the angels now mostly. If I confronted him, he would jut think I'm being controlled to say these things by the angels and that would get me nowhere. 上の英文の訳をお願いします。文の中で、下の文ところがよくわかりませんでした。ご助力をお願いします。 ◎I can't help it ◎I wonder If I could have prevented the fight by going out there myself ◎and out this pencil ◎I'm out here in my own space. ◎how wrong he was to do that ◎that would get me nowhere.