• ベストアンサー

英Independent紙のコラム2

前回の質問はまだ締め切っていませんが、質問事項がたまりつつあるので並行して質問させていただきます。 前々回の質問で、out there の意味を聞きました。今回もこれです。だいぶこの言葉のイメージ、ニュアンスはつかめたように感じますが、復習をかねて再度質問させて下さい。 コラムの筆者はハイテク機器オタクで、会社からハイテク機器なしで1週間生活し、その体験を書くという企画をもちかけられます。 自分は子供の頃からハイテク機器オタクだったと述べた段落の後に下記の文章が続きます。 Fast-forward to the present and my life, like most of our lives, is positively overflowing with gadgets - laptops, mobile phones, sat-navs, digital TV. I've just gone on to Facebook (or Crackbook as it should be called, it's so addictive) and my wife is complaining that I spend all day hunched over the laptop. I pretend that I'm working but I'm not really, I'm sort of cyber-grazing while my dogs go unwalked and my kids go unfed. This, therefore, is my life. So when I get a call from the people at the magazine you are holding asking me whether I'd be interested in writing an article about living for seven days without any gadgets invented in the past 25 years, I go all cold down the back of my spine (a bit like someone suddenly mentioning that you seem to drink an awful lot: it's suddenly out there and, although it's your worst nightmare, it also feels like a weird lifeline has been thrown to you). 上記文章中の it's suddenly out there and, although it's your worst nightmare, it also feels like a weird lifeline has been thrown to you の訳をお願い致します。 なお、基本的に質問箇所以外の部分の訳や背景事情の説明はご無用です。答えを説明するのに必要な範囲で結構です。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • yakamashi
  • ベストアンサー率40% (18/44)
回答No.1

throw a lifeline : 命綱を投げる この企画は(オタクの僕にとっちゃ)最悪の悪夢なんだけど(悪いことだからこんな風に例えるのはちょっと変だけど)、突然そこに現れた、目の前に投げられた運命の命綱みたいだ(受け入れるしか他に選択肢がないって点で)。

kaiyosei
質問者

お礼

レスありがとうございます。 ただ、確認したいことが・・・ 原文の構造は [it's suddenly out there] and, (although it's your worst nightmare, → ) [it also feels like a weird lifeline has been thrown to you] ですから、お示しの訳文を借りて文構造に忠実に訳し直すと 「それは突然そこに現れた。そして、それは最悪の悪夢なんだけど、目の前に投げられた運命の命綱みたいだ」 ですよね。 意訳した結果がお示しの訳文になったという理解でよろしいでしょうか。 すみません。お手数をおかけして。

kaiyosei
質問者

補足

ここに書くべき内容を間違って「この回答へのお礼」コーナーに書いてしまいました。 一応、意訳したものと善意に解釈しまして20ポイントを提供させていただきます。 ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• Agee
  • ベストアンサー率42% (414/964)
回答No.2

質問者の最後の解釈で正解だと思います。 「(雑誌の申し出は)突然降って湧いた。それは悪夢の最たるものだが、同時に、投げかけられた奇妙な命綱のようにも思えた」

kaiyosei
質問者

お礼

レスありがとうございます。 ただ、良回答の20ポイントは、先に回答を寄せられた方を優先させていただきました。すみません。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英Independent紙のコラムの一節

今回は英国 Independent紙のユーモアコラムからです。筆者は Dom Joly氏。 最初から2番目の段落までを引用します。 Dom Joly: I'm crazy about Palin, and she's everything I hate Sunday, 21 September 2008 It's getting quite embarrassing. I'll be flicking through the "dirty" channels, hoping for a glimpse of what I desire when... Stacey bursts in and I have to fast-flick back to 'Takeshi's Castle' on Challenge. It's too late though ? she knows what I'm up to. "Have you been watching Fox News?" she'll scream accusingly. I pretend to not know what she's talking about, but this lady is not for turning. "I don't know what you find so interesting about Sarah Palin but it's got to stop ? she's a monster." I try to bury myself deep into the comforting folds of my leather sofa. I know she's right but I am in the grip of a terrible obsession with the US VPILF. I can remember when I first saw her ? all white teeth and sexy glasses and hair scrunched up in a bun like some cliched teenager's mom fantasy. She was so... in charge... and so... sure of herself... she's not a blinker. She's everything I hate ? a right-wing born-again who feels that she might be "good" with foreign policy because she can "see Russia from my house". McCain is about as healthy as Jimmy Savile and, should he win, she'll probably be President by Valentine's Day and at war with Belgium by the spring. I know all of this and yet, I think I love her... there, I've said it, it's out there. 2番目の段落の最後の文章 I know all of this and yet, I think I love her... there, I've said it, it's out there. の意味を教えて下さい。 なお、全文はこちらで読めます。 http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/dom-joly/dom-joly-im-crazy-about-palin-and-shes-everything-i-hate-936861.html * なお、良回答の20ポイントはなんとか1人に絞りますが、10ポイントの候補は1人に絞るのが難しいのが常です。その場合、回答時間の早い方に決めさせていただきます。ご了承下さい。 (shiremonoさん、前回のIHTの質問の際、ポイントがつかなかったのはそういう理由です。すみません)

• 英語の訳をお願いします。

はじめまして。英訳をしてみたのですがどうしてもうまくいかないので、どなたか教えてください。 お願いします。 peel me to the core Don't go I will be there Wait for me to see my lotus I've never felt like this way Everytime You take a breath I'm rooted in you basement Since I can be your medicine my sense and tenseness go high Everytime you treat me weird I'm melted in you and I swell Monumentally Obsessively Love me Take me Take me for tomorrow Peel me peel me the core I have tol you that I would show you Peel me to that corner Everytime You take a breath I'm rooted in you basement Since I can be your medicine my sense and tenseness go high Everytime you treat me weird I'm melted in you and I swell Monumentally Obsessively Love me

• location independent

(度に出ながら仕事をすることについて)“One thing I learned pretty early on is that it’s really hard to travel and be productive,” notes Erica Blair, a 30-year-old marketing consultant who currently calls Chiang Mai, Thailand, home and has been location independent for the last eight years. “I need to stay somewhere at least three months and set up a routine. Otherwise, with traveling, it’s just too hard to both enjoy a trip and grow my business.” I became location independent last year, when I traveled through Europe for seven months. I brought my laptop, and I was constantly on calls or doing work. location independent とは簡単に言うとどういう意味でしょうか?調べてもよくわかりませんでした。よろしくお願いします

• 英Independent紙のコラムの一節・I'm on the plane~

経済関連の記事の質問が連続したので、気分転換に普通の英文からの質問です。 英Independent紙のユーモアコラムで、筆者は Dom Joly氏。 タイトルは「The kindness of a stranger shows all's not lost in LA」。10月12日のコラムです。 第一段落と第二段落の一部を引用します。 I landed in Los Angeles very unrested. The whole point of business/upper class is that you can be comfortable, pampered and arrive at your destination fresh and ready for action. Not for me - the whole cabin had been taken over by a lairy group of "guys" on their way to Las Vegas for some stag-type celebration. There was no sign of the credit crunch here. Maybe this lot didn't dabble in stocks and shares? Maybe they were strictly cash only? Whatever, they spent the whole flight getting more and more pissed and shouting, "I'm on the plane, I'm on the plane, no it's rubbish...." I was like a zombie when I got to my friend's house in Santa Monica. I'm out here to start the long but exciting process of trying to get my movie made. (以下略) 上記文中の "I'm on the plane, I'm on the plane, no it's rubbish...." の訳をお願い致します。ややニュアンスの取り方に自信がないので。 なお、それ以外の箇所の大体の訳を掲げておきます。 私はロサンゼルスに到着したが、疲れきっていた。一体ビジネスクラスを選ぶ理由というのは、快適で、サービスが手厚く、目的地に新鮮で前向きな気持ちで降りることができるという点だ。今回、自分はそうではなかった。ビジネスクラスの客室全体は、男だけの祝いごとかなにかでラスベガスに向かう途中の気障な連中で占められていた。こいつらには目下の「信用収縮」の気配は一向に感じられない。この連中は株に手を染めていなかったということだろうか。キャッシュだけを頼りにしていたということか。いずれにせよ、彼らは空を飛ぶ間、いよいよへべれけになってわめいていた。「I'm on the plane, I'm on the plane, no it's rubbish....」 サンタモニカの友人の家に着いた時には自分はほとんどゾンビの状態だった。ロサンゼルス訪問の理由は、自分の映画製作という長期間にわたるがワクワクするプロセスの第一歩を踏み出すためだった。~

• 英作文を作ったので添削おねがいします

お礼は必ずします。 よろしくお願いします Recruitment of friend!(British or  American) Nice to meet you. My name is A I am a 35-year-old Japanese man and I live in Osaka. I am 172 cm tall and I weigh 65 kg. My blood type is A. I am a chemist at a chemists,selling medicines. I like playing football and walking my dog. I love Britain and American. I would like to be your friend. Could you correspond with me if you don't mind? If you correspond with me, I would provide you with something you can obtain only in Japan. Through corresponding with you, I would be able to improve my English and increase my knowledge about Britain and USA. Please become my friend by all means. My e-mail address is shown below. I am looking forward to your favorable reply. I would like to see you in near days. see you

• この英文を日本語訳にしてください。

Hello Yai, Are you traveling soon to the US? You go to Virginia. I went there for vacation few years ago, to Virginia City. Very crowded and long beaches. There are many interesting places there, I hope you like the American style of life, it's very different from Canada. Keep in touch Yai, Cheers, Beto

• フランス人から届いた英文の翻訳(英→日)おねがいします。短い英文だと思

フランス人から届いた英文の翻訳(英→日)おねがいします。短い英文だと思いますので宜しくおねがいします。 I wanted to know if you can post the bag to Sigrid Michardire and no Eugnie (me), this is my mother and we live together. It's just because i will go to Paris for one month, and I'm afraid missing the package ! My mother stays home !

• 英作文の添削をお願いします。

問い:Do you like living where you live now,or would you rather live somewhere else in Japan or in the world? Why? Answer these questions as completely as you can. Use detail. Make us see and hear and smell and touch the place you are in ,or the place you imagine. Write in English on your answer sheet. I like living where I live now. I live in Gifu.there are two good reason why I like living in Gifu. First of all, there is good environment for living. Urban like Tokyo ,it is convenient for us to live in. However, there are some environmental problems such as air pollution and water pollution and etc. In contrast, Gihu is clean air and water. Moreover, there is few environmental problems. It is confortable for us to live there. Second, Gihu is a easygoing place. Urban are busy place. I like easygoing place better than busy place because I would like to act my own pace. I feel that people who live in urban are always busy and hurry. I do not want to disturb my own pace. That is all reason I want to live in Gifu

• Everything But The Girl のCome On Ho

Everything But The Girl のCome On Home です。 和訳をお願いいたします! Baby come home, I miss the sound of the door Your step on the stair's not there to wake me no more And every day's like Christmas Day without you It's cold and there's nothing to do And it's mighty quiet here now that you're gone I've been behaving myself for too long 'Cause I don't like sleeping Or watching TV on my own So please come on home Baby, what's keeping you all this time You're wasting your days out there in the sunshine And who can I turn to if you believe still That England don't love you and she never will For it's mighty quiet here now that you're gone And I've been behaving myself for too long I don't like drinking or painting the town on my own So please come on home Baby come on home Please For it's mighty quiet here now that you're gone And I've been behaving myself for too long 'Cause I don't like sleeping Or watching TV on my own So please come on home

• 洋楽で、Everything But The Girl のCome O

洋楽で、Everything But The Girl のCome On Home です。 和訳をお願いいたします! Baby come home, I miss the sound of the door Your step on the stair's not there to wake me no more And every day's like Christmas Day without you It's cold and there's nothing to do And it's mighty quiet here now that you're gone I've been behaving myself for too long 'Cause I don't like sleeping Or watching TV on my own So please come on home Baby, what's keeping you all this time You're wasting your days out there in the sunshine And who can I turn to if you believe still That England don't love you and she never will For it's mighty quiet here now that you're gone And I've been behaving myself for too long I don't like drinking or painting the town on my own So please come on home Baby come on home Please For it's mighty quiet here now that you're gone And I've been behaving myself for too long 'Cause I don't like sleeping Or watching TV on my own So please come on home