earmarkについて

このQ&Aのポイント
  • pay for themselves dollar for dollar構造の解説
  • end of earmarksの意味とは
  • earmarks are pet projectsとpoliticiansの関係について
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

earmarkについて

In the interview, Mr. McCain said, referring to tax cuts, “Whether they actually pay for themselves dollar for dollar, obviously there are differences in opinion.” pay for themselves dollar for dollar,の構造を教えてください。 During his campaign, Mr. McCain has focused much more on spending than on taxes. He has called for the end of earmarks, which are pet projects inserted into spending bills by legislators. 専門的でなくて結構なのですが、end of earmarksとは何を指しているでしょうか。 earmarks are pet projectsというつながりになるようですが。 They are “a very small part of the budget,” he said, “but so symbolic” -- because they prevent politicians from having any credibility when they try to persuade the public about other budget cuts. when they try to persuadeのtheyはpoliticiansのようですがThey are “a very small part of the budget, because theyのtheyはpet projectsでしょうか。 Pet projects prevent politicians from having any credibility when politicians try to persuade the public about other budget cuts. の内容がいまひとつ分かりません。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

pay for themselves dollar for dollar 構造と言われると困りますが、「減税そのものに額面どおりの効果がある」のような意味だと思います。 pay: 元が取れる。効果がある。 for themselves: (減税)それ自身で(=他の政策との相乗効果抜きで) dollar for dollar: (減税額の額面)1ドルに対して(減税の効果が)1ドル earmarkは、こちらの2番目に出ている意味ではないかと思います。 http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?enc=UTF-8&p=earmark&dtype=0&dname=0ss&stype=0&pagenum=1&index=101276200000 特定の支持者層のために、こういう準備金を支出法案に紛れ込ませるのが、政治家のお気に入りの手法(pet project)だと言っているのだと思います。 earmarkは金額的には大したことはないが、有権者はみんなそれが明らかに無駄な支出だと思っている。だから、それを放置していては、他のところで歳出削減を訴えても説得力がないということでしょう。 ついでに、前のtrap doorの回答をしようとおもったら、締め切られていたので、こちらに書きます。 trap doorは、おそらく、「不用意にその上に乗ると、扉が開いて、下に落ちてしまう、落とし穴のような扉」=「とっても危ない状況」のような意味だと思います。 one ○○ away from ××は、「××から、○○ひとつ分離れている」=「○○ひとつで××になる」の意味でしょう。 解雇通知を1枚くらうと、不景気で再雇用のチャンスもないし、失業保険も不充分だから、全てを失うことになる 住宅ローンの支払いを1回でも滞らせると、銀行も返済を待つ余裕がないから、いきなり破産手続きを取られて、破滅させられてしまう。 一枚診断書をもらうと(ちょっと病気のになると)、公的医療保険が不充分だから、貧乏人の世帯は経済的に破綻してしまう。 そういう、危うい状況だということを言っていると思います。

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

前回の質問のご回答までしていただきありがとうございました。 >for themselves、dollar for dollar: これも考えましたが意味が取れませんでした。ありがとうございます。 >準備金を支出法案に紛れ込ませるのが、政治家のお気に入りの手法(pet project) そのとおりだと思います。英辞郎ではうまく見つかりませんでした。 >放置していては、他のところで歳出削減を訴えても説得力がないということでしょう これでうまくつながります。 >trap door なるほど。最初検索していると、日本の跳ね戸とかthe trap doorという変なものがでてきて混乱しました。 >one ○○ away from ×× 深いですね。。 しかも英語的な表現で参考になります。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 事業仕分けを英語に翻訳すると?

budget screening? screening national projects? to sort out government projects? identification of wasteful government projects?

• less far?? 文の意味がわかりません。

この文の意味がよくわかりません。解説していただけないでしょうか。 Out of consideration for worshippers less far along the path to enlgihtenment, the monks are looking for ways to persuade the ants to go. よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英作文の添削お願いいたします。

周りに英作文の添削をお願いできる環境がないため、投稿させていただきました。 1.日本人はゴミを分別して捨てていますか? 2.日本人はゴミの削減に取り組んでいますか? 3.日本人はリサイクルの重要性に気づいていますか? という内容の手紙に対する返信を80字程度で述べよというものです。 Thank you for your letter. Answering to your first question, most of people separate for disposal their garbage in Japan. I think most of people don’t try to decrease their garbage, because they don’t get benefit for it. The Japanese government had better award them reducing garbage something. I suppose they are aware of the importance of recycling. For example, they recycle PET bottles and cans, plastic trays. I do it too. 内容というよりは、文章の繋ぎ方や文法の正しさについて不安があります。 どうぞ、よろしくお願いいたします(><

• 1 One of the projects tha

1 One of the projects that the section has been working on ( ) budget cuts of up to 35 percent next year. A-face B-faces C-faced D-facing Participants who were delayed were asked ( ) outside the hall until one presentation ended. A-stay B-stayed C-to stat D-staying この問題がわかりません。 最初のはD 後のはC のような気がしますがよくわかりません。解答と解説をお願いします。

• 和訳していただきたい

・I don't think I can meet you at six tomorrow night because we have a lot of extra work this month. extra work は余分な仕事でいいのでしょうか? ・Both the winner and the loser of the latest election deserve praise for showing that they are both exellent and reliable politicians. for showingあたりが・・・ ・He wasn't much use, and none of the other staff is either. 全体的に・・・ ・I'd say that twenty dollar is too much for the necktie. I'd sayがわからないんです。 4文ですがお願いします。

• 中学英語で質問

Good evening, Mr.Sasaski. No one was home but Mom left a message for me. It says that I have to give you this box of tissues. Actually, they are for you. You are going yo cry! この英文は,お別れのsurprise partyでの一場面です。 文中の they are for youのtheyは、this box of tissuesを受けてるんだと思うんですけど、 そこで、this box of tissuesは、単数であるから they are for youは、 this is for youになるんじゃないの?・・・・・何か勘違いしてるのかな? すみませんが教えて下さい。

• 「on a dollar for a dollar basis」を英語で

「on a dollar for a dollar basis」はどう訳せばいいでしょうか?以下の文中にありました(契約書)。 For the purposes of clarity, it is agreed that the payment of such advance shall reduce, on a dollar for dollar basis, any additional monies that may become payable to the company B under the Agreement. 「For the purposes of clarity」の適切な訳の仕方も分かりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳

In the end, we do best by allowing activist shareholders to bet their assets on their ability to persuade sophisticated institutional investors that they are right in their assessment of portfolio company strategy. 上記英文の邦訳をお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします

1)cuts in NASA's budget forced cancellation of Apollo missions 18, 19, and 20, the assignments for which Henize had been recruited. 2)He was again selected for an astronomy mission aboard the space shuttle Challenger in 1985.

• 次の英文の翻訳をお願いします。

次の英文の翻訳をお願いします。 "Truth" is probably the greatest barrier to good communication. During an argument with a friend or your spouse you may have such a powerful conviction that you are right that you don't try to see the other person's point of view. Instead, you argue and try to force them to agree with you. This never works. You've probably noticed that the more you try to persuade the other person to agree with you, the more argumentative he or she becomes. This is because you're not really listening to their viewpoint. They believe their feelings are being ignored, and they'll argue louder and longer to try to get you to listen. You both end up feeling angry and frustrated.