• ベストアンサー

難しくてわかりません・・・

Once upon a time there were two turkeys, an old turkey and a young turkey. The old turkey had been cock of the walk for many years and the young turkey wanted to take his place. “I’ll knock that old buzzard cold one of these days,” the young turkey told his friends. “Sure you will, Joe, sure you will,” his friends said, for Joe was treating them to some corn he had found. Then the friends went and told the old turkey what the young turkey had said. “Why, I’ll have his gizzard!” said the old turkey, setting out some corn for his visitors. “Sure you will, Doc, sure you will,” said the visitors. One day the young turkey walked over to old turkey was telling tales of his prowess in battle. “I’ll bat your teeth into your crop,” said the young turkey. “You and who else?” said the old turkey. So they began to circle around each other, sparring for an opening. Just then the farmer who owned the turkeys swept up the young one and carried him off and wrung his neck. Moral: Youth will be served, frequently stuffed with chestnuts. といった文章なんです。ここで、モラルに二重の意味が含まれているらしいのですがまったく見当がつきません。長い文章なのですが、どうか教えていただけないでしょうか?よろしくお願いします。

• sousei
  • お礼率80% (113/140)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • hana999
  • ベストアンサー率60% (3/5)
回答No.3

Serveの意味を二重にしたジョークなので、日本語に訳しての説明はしずらく、面白みも半減してしまうと思いますが、頑張って説明してみますので、お付き合いください。 前の長いお話部分は他の方の回答で伝わっていると思います。イソップ物語とかの教訓のあるお話の形態をとっていて、話の部分は、ジョークの前ふりみたいなみたいなところです。で、オチなんですが。 "Youth will be served"はことわざと言っていいのか、一般的に知られている決まった表現で、「若いときは(ほっといても)周りから寄ってきて世話を焼いてくれる」というような意味です。まあ、日本で「若い奴は得だよな」と言うときと根底は同じ雰囲気ですね。それで、いかにも教訓とかに出てきそうなこの決まり言葉と、「食事の用意ができたよ(dinner is served)」というような時の"serve"の意味を引っ掛けてあって、 「教訓:若いと自然と面倒を見てもらえる"Youth will be served"」 かと思いきや・・・ 「教訓:若いやつは食卓に乗せられる"Youth will be served"。たいがい栗の詰め物をされてね(ヒッヒッヒッ)」てなわけです。 ちなみに"栗の詰め物"というのは、(説明しなくてもご存知かもしれませんが、)七面鳥など鳥類の丸焼きをするときに、内臓を取ったお腹にスパイスやパン粉などを混ぜて作った詰め物(stuffing)を入れます。一緒に食べるのもので、栗とかのナッツ類は定番の材料です。 う~ん、伝わりましたでしょうか? 

sousei
質問者

お礼

そうだったのですか!!serveを掛けていたのですね。 かなりわかりやすく説明していただいてありがとうございます!!

その他の回答 (2)

• Singollo
  • ベストアンサー率28% (834/2935)
回答No.2

昔、2羽の七面鳥がおり、1羽は年嵩で、もう1羽は若かった。年嵩の七面鳥は長年ボスの地位にあった。若い七面鳥は彼に取って代わりたがっていた。「近いうちに、あのよぼよぼののろまをノックアウトしてやる」と若い七面鳥は友たちに言った。「確かに、ジョー、そうだろうとも」友たちはジョーに賛同して言った。というのも、見つけてきたいくばくかのトウモロコシでジョーが彼らをもてなしていたからだ。後で、友たちは、若い七面鳥が何と言ったか年嵩の七面鳥に伝えに行った。「なんだと、奴の砂嚢をちぎりとってくれるぞ!」と年嵩の七面鳥は言い、客たちの前にいくばくかのトウモロコシを並べた。「確かに、先生、そうでしょうとも」と客たちは言った。ある日、年嵩の七面鳥が、戦いでの自分の優れた能力の話をしているところに、若い七面鳥が通りかかった。「あんたの歯を?嚢に叩き込んでやる」と若い七面鳥は言った。「お前一人でか?」と年嵩の七面鳥は言った。こうして彼らは互いの周囲を回り始め、蹴り合いながら好機を窺った。ちょうどその時、彼らの持主である農夫が若い方をひっさらい、首をひねった。 教訓:若さは有用である、しばしば栗を詰められて食卓上に乗ったときに

sousei
質問者

お礼

和訳助かりました。 自分では読むだけだったので内容も理解できました。 ありがとうございます!!

回答No.1

ヒントです。 七面鳥は来月になるといっせいに感謝祭の為に食卓の丸ごと載ります。 若鶏の方が食卓には喜ばれる。 若い時の方が勝気である。 文章として、ザァっと書いているので、読みにくいという感じがあるのでしょうね。 文章を切り裂いてしまいますね。 Once upon、 a time there were two turkeys, an old turkey and a young turkey. The old turkey had been cock of the walk for many years and the young turkey wanted to take his place. “I’ll knock that old buzzard cold one of these days,” the young turkey told his friends. “Sure you will, Joe, sure you will,” his friends said, for Joe was treating them to some corn he had found. Then the friends went and told the old turkey what the young turkey had said. “Why, I’ll have his gizzard!” said the old turkey, setting out some corn for his visitors. “Sure you will, Doc, sure you will,” said the visitors. One day the young turkey walked over to old turkey was telling tales of his prowess in battle. “I’ll bat your teeth into your crop,” said the young turkey. “You and who else?” said the old turkey. So they began to circle around each other, sparring for an opening. Just then, the farmer who owned the turkeys swept up the young one and carried him off and wrung his neck これで、少しは分かり易くなりましたか? 分からないところがあれば、書いてください。

sousei
質問者

お礼

なんとなくですが分かりました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 困ってます!

The Two Turkeys Once upon a time there were two turkeys, an old turkey and a young turkey. The old turkey had been cock of the walk for many years and the young turkey wanted to take his place. “I’ll knock that old buzzard cold one of these days,” the young turkey told his friends. “Sure you will, Joe, sure you will,” his friends said, for Joe was treating them to some corn he had found. Then the friends went and told the old turkey what the young turkey had said. “Why, I’ll have his gizzard!” said the old turkey, setting out some corn for his visitors. “Sure you will, Doc, sure you will,” said the visitors. One day the young turkey walked over to old turkey was telling tales of his prowess in battle. “I’ll bat your teeth into your crop,” said the young turkey. “You and who else?” said the old turkey. So they began to circle around each other, sparring for an opening. Just then the farmer who owned the turkeys swept up the young one and carried him off and wrung his neck. Moral: Youth will be served, frequently stuffed with chestnuts. この"The Two Turkeys" のmoralには二重の意味があるみたいなのですが、その2つの意味内容をそれぞれ日本語で教えてほしいのですがお願いします。。。

• 英文を読んで訳すのを教えてください。

He started for the market with the cow. On his way to the market he met a man who had a pig with him. “Good morning,” said the man. “Good morning,” answered Jack. “Will you give me your old cow for this fat young pig?” said the man. Jack thought that it was a good idea. So he exchanged his old cow for the young pig. He walked on happily until he met another man who had some fine beans. “These are magic beans,” said the man. “’I’ll give you one of them, if you give me that pig.” Jack thought that it was wonderful to have a magic bean. So he agreed to it and carried the bean proudly back home. He showed the bean to his mother. “Is this all that you have got for that cow?” she said. “Now we have no cow to give us milk. All we have is this bean.” 次の文の指示された文を英訳してください。 (1)He walked on happily until he met another man who had some fine beans. これを解いてみると、 (1)彼はいい豆を持っている人に会うまで楽しそうに歩き続けた。 になりました。しかし、先生に間違っていると指摘されたのでどこが間違っているのか教えていたでけませんか。 出来れば意訳があれば教えてもらいたいです。

• 英文を和訳してください。

和訳お願いします。 An old man died and left son a lot of money. But the son was a foolish young man, and he quickly spent all the money, so that soon he had nothing left. Of course, when that happened, all his friends left him. When he was quite poor and alone, he went to see Nasreddin, who was a kind, clever old man and often helped people when they had troubles. `My money has finished and my friends have gone, `said the young man. `What will happen to me now?` `don't worry, young man, `answered Nasreddin. `Everything will soon be all right again. Wait, and you will soon feel much happier.`

• この英文は何を言いたいのですか?

以下の文ですが、老人は孤独だから、女よりも話し相手が欲しいのだ、と言いたいのですか? それが老人の知恵だと言いたいのでしょうか? どうも、何を言いたいのか、よく分かりません。外国のメル友が送ってくれました。メル友にとってはimpressiveな内容なんだろうと思います。 解説的に説明して頂けませんか。宜しくお願いします。 Here's a guy in his 70's who loves to fish. He was sitting in his boat the other day when he heard a voice say, 'Pick me up.' He looked around and couldn't see anyone. He thought he was dreaming when he heard the voice say again,'Pick me up.' He looked in the water and there, floating on the top, was a frog. The man said, 'Are you talking to me?' The frog said, 'Yes, I'm talking to you. Pick me up, then kiss me; and I'll turn into the most beautiful woman you have ever seen. I'll make sure that all your friends are envious and jealous, because I will be your bride!' The man looked at the frog for a short time, reached over, picked it up carefully and placed it in his shirt pocket. The frog said, 'What, are you nuts? Didn't you hear what I said? I said, "Kiss me, and I will be your beautiful bride."' He opened his pocket, looked at the frog and said, 'Nah. At my age, I'd rather have a talking frog.' With age comes wisdom.

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

You're the devil in me I brought in from the cold You said your body was young but your mind was very old You're coming on strong and I like the way The visions we had have faded away You're part of a life I've never had I'll tell you now it's just too bad

• どなたか英語が分かる方よろしくお願いします。

日本語に訳していただける方どうぞよろしくお願いします。 You had Mars in Aquarius. This does not make it easy to find deep love, and can make for loneliness and sometimes foolish infatuations. Though there is a longing for the glamour romance in the old sense. Mars was the roman god of war and passion, and his position has much to do with the love that you will find. He is a fiery dreamy planet in this sign. Your soul mate is an inventive and original man, once he has met you, will become devoted to you. His ideas can be eccentric and his approach to love is intellectual. He will try to impress you with his intelligence and court you that way. The union will be cool, or cold rather than passionate. For with this sign much remains in the mind. He is very much an individual. Not really one of the crowd, but idealistic and noble.

• 和訳を教えて下さい

During a quarrel with his parents, young Michael cried, " I want excitement, adventure, money, and beautiful women. I'll never find it at home, so I'm leaving. Don't try and stop me!" With that he headed toward the door. His father rose and followed close behind. " Didn't you hear what I said? I don't want you to try and stop me." "Who's trying to stop you?" replied his father. "If you wait a minute, I'll go with you." 息子が家を出ようとして、Don't try and stop me! と父親に言ったけど、それがうまく伝わらなくて、 父親が息子に「ちょっと待ってくれれば一緒に行くよ」と言った。 という内容なのかな・・・?と思うのですが、try and stop meの意味がよく分からなくて、この文章の意味合いがいまいち理解できません。 どなたか教えていただけませんか。

• 同意文作成問題の解答を教えて下さい(高校受験)

(1)Will you wait here for me?  Will you wait here (     )I come back? (2)He went up to Tokyo at the age of twenty.  He went up to Tokyo (     )he (     )twenty. (3)I am tired because I worked hard.  I am tired (     )(     )hard work. (4)While he was staying in Paris,he visited his old friend.  (     )his(     )in Paris,he visited his old friend. (5)When I was going to station,I saw a friend of mine.  I saw a friend of mine (     )my(     )to station. (6)Look at the girl who has a beautiful lily in her hand.  Look at the girl (     )a beautiful lily in her hand.

• 英訳至急お願いします!

英訳至急お願いします! “How much does model get for being painted?”asked Hughie,as he sat down. “A shilling an hour.” “And how much do you get your picture ,Alan?” “Oh,for this I get to thousand pounds.” “Well,I think the model should have a share,”cried Hughie,laughing;“he works quite as hard as you do.” “Nonsense! Look at the trouble I go to! It is easy,Hughie,for you tolk.But you mustnt talk;Im busy.Keep quite. ” After some time the servant came in,and told Trevor that a guest wanted to speak to him. “Dont run away,Hughie.I will be back in a moment.”he said. The beggar took a rest for a moment. He looked so miserable. Hughie felt in his pockets to see what money he had. He only found a pound and some pennies. “Poor old man,”he thought,“he needs it more than I do,but I waon have much money mayself for a week or two,”and he walked across the room and slipped the pound into the beggars hand. The old man jumped,and a smile passed across his old lips. “Thank you,sir,”he said,“Thank you.” Then Trevor arrived, and Hughie left, a little red in the face at what he had done. He had to walk home because he had no money for tansportration. That night he want to the club at about 11 oclock,and found Trevor sitting by himself. “Well,Alan,did you finish the picture all right?”he asked. “Finished,my boy!”answerd Trevor; “and,by the way,that old model has become very fond of you.I had to tell him all about you-who you are,where you live,what your income is, what hopes you have.” “My dear Alan,”cried Hughie,“byt, of course,you are only jogging. Poor old man!I wish I could do something for him.I think it is terrible that anyone should be so miserable.I have got piles of old clothes at home-do you think he would like any of them? His clothes were falling to bits.” “But he looks wonderful in them,”said Trevor. “I tell him of your offer.” “Alan,”said Hughie seriously,“you painters are heartless people.” せっかく答えてもらってもその回答が意味不明な場合やふざけた書き込みなどの場合(翻訳機を使ったり、テキトーな翻訳)は、お礼はできませんのでご了承願います。 心優しい方どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

• 英文を訳してください。

機械による訳ではなく、英語の堪能な方にお願いします。次の文章を訳していただけませんか?内容が知りたいので、よろしくお願いします。 As a young child I had Santa and Jesus all mixed up. I could identify Coke or Pepsi with just one sip, but I could not tell you for sure why they strapped Santa to a cross. Had he missed a house? If a fat guy grabs you and puts you in a bag, don't worry, I told Santa I wanted a good friend for Christmas ! Ho Ho Ho !