• 締切済み

for good measure や to boot

for good measure や to boot はフォーマルな、というか、ニュース記事よりもフォーマルな、たとえば論文であるとかの文章で使われることはありますか?

みんなの回答

回答No.1

下記は論文だと思いますが、for good measure がタイトルになってます。 For Good Measure By WS&T Staff Wall Street & Technology 5 15, 2006 New research commissioned by global management consulting firm Accenture indicates that many firms lack reliable metrics for verifying and qualifying the accuracy of their data. Conducted by TABB Group, the survey also found that buy- and sell-side firms alike fail to address reference data in a proactive manner. Of the 50 data management executives that responded to the survey, only 20 percent reported having active metrics for measuring data value. Forty percent of respondents said that their organizations follow a reactive approach, addressing problems in reference data on a case-by-case basis. Additionally, 10 percent of survey participants reported having no metrics whatsoever for measuring the effectiveness of reference data. According to TABB Group, the inconsistencies that result from not measuring data quality can impact a variety of functions throughout an organization, perhaps most directly, traders and risk managers. <<< 次に to boot について To boot usually means “in addition, besides, moreover”, as here in Falk, by Joseph Conrad: “At all events he was a Scandinavian of some sort, and a bloated monopolist to boot”. The phrase can sometimes contain the idea of some positive outcome or advantage, not just something additional. In this, it’s reflecting its ancient origin in Old English bot, advantage, remedy. It’s of Germanic origin and is related to Dutch boete and German Busse (a penance or fine) as well as to the English words better and best. と言うことでどちらも、論文での使用は充分にOKです。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• good to ~とgood for ~ing

「この浜は泳ぐのにいいね」 という時に This beach is good to swim. This beach is good for swimming, ではどんな違いがあるでしょう。 上の言い方は間違いでしょうか?

• for good 「永久に」

Mary has gone back to Los Angels for good.(メアリーはロサンジェルスに永久に帰ってしまった) なぜ、for good で「永久に」という意味になるのですか?

• good for you

俺も、あなたはアート専攻の方がいいと思うよ。 絵うまいしね! ってArt major is good for you because you are good at drawing!! でいいですか? もっと口語的な文章にしたいです。

• for good

for good で「永遠に」という約になるのかわかりません。 くだらない質問で申し訳ありませんがよろしくお願いします。

• good for の意味

Will that be left on A storeet? Yes ABC HOUSE is at 333 A street. Good for ABC HOUSE but A is a one-way street. という文章があります。 この場合のGood for ABCの意味を教えてください。 宜しくお願いいたします。

• toとかforって使わなくても通じますか?

こんにちわ。英語初心者です。 英会話で「to」や「for」などは省いても伝わりますか? 例えば、 ・I'd like to move to a bigger room. のtoは、文章問題とかでは書かないと不正解になりますが、英会話では使わなくても伝わりますか? また、 ・I'd like to speak to Mr.gordon. などのto ・I'd like to ask for her namber. などのfor I'd like to〜でなくてもいいです。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• to と for の違いがよく分かりません。

「それは僕にとっていい経験になった」 It has been a good experience の次は to me なんですか?それとも for me なんですか?

• For と To

forもtoも方向を表しますよね。 とある英語教材では、toを使う場合には目的地を含む文章となる、と解説されています。 He went to Tokyo Dome.と言えばこの人は東京ドームに行ったことになりますが、He left for London.と言うと、単にロンドンに向かっただけで、実際にロンドンに行ったかどうかは分からない、と。 ここからが本番です。 電車の行き先表示は、例えば「For Shinjuku」など、forが使われていますが、終点にはよほどのことが無い限り着くわけですから、「To Shinjuku」とするほうが正しいのではないかと思います。 これはどういう訳なのでしょうか。

• good appetite to you について

添付ファイル文章: And you shall go, Pyotr Alexandrovitch, pray go to the Father Superior and good appetite to you. に関する質問です。 good appetite to you.の理解が難しいです。 「あなた、行きなさいな。ピョートル・アレクサンドローヴィチ、どうかお願いだから、院長さんとこ行って、(?あなたに食欲旺盛?)」 とよく分からないです。 good appetite to you. の部分は名詞と前置詞と代名詞だけでできていて、どのような表現として理解すれば良いのか分からないです。 解説お願いします。

• 以下のforとtoの使い方は正しいでしょうか?

I took the TOEIC at the local university today, it was the first time to take the certificate examination. 地元の国立大学でTOEIC試験があった。 自分にとって最初のTOEIC試験だった。 Most candidates were university students, and surrounded by them, I felt that I became younger. 殆どは大学生で、少し若くなったような気がした。 Speaking of the test, it was difficult for me, especially listening parts. テストは難しかった。 特にリスニングは。 Although I was too tired after finished the test, I thought it was neccesary for me because it seemed to stimulate my boreing English study. テスト終了後、疲れたけれど、カンフル剤としてたまにはこういう試験も必要かなと感じた。 It was good experience to me. いい経験だった。 というような文章を書いてみたのですが、いかがでしょうか? It was 形容詞という書き方が多いような気がしますが。 あと、it was neccesary for me というようにforを使ったのは、it for to構文からforを選択しましたが、 It was good experience to me.のtoは正しいでしょうか? forか迷ったのですが。 アドバイス頂けないでしょうか? 宜しくお願い致します。