• ベストアンサー

【簡単な英会話の一文です】 英語参考書のフレーズの訳 

ある英語参考書に But wouldn't it be better if you didn't put down that you have a driver's license? 訳:でも、資格に運転免許なんて書かない方がいいんじゃないの? とありました。 私が訳をつけると・・・・ 運転免許をもっていると書いたほうがいいんじゃないの? となりました。なぜ、そのような訳になるのかわかりません。 ------------------------------------------------------------ 具体的に、私の思考は以下の通りです。 But wouldn't it be better でも、より良いとは言えないのではないか? + if you didn't put down that you have a driver's license もし、あなたが運転免許を持っていると書かなかったならば = 運転免許をもっていると書いたほうが良いのではないか? どこが間違っているのか教えて頂きたいです。宜しくお願い致します。

• e-l
  • お礼率45% (158/349)
  • 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数7

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • TonyB
  • ベストアンサー率55% (179/323)
回答No.5

But wouldn't it be better if you didn't put down that you have a driver's license? itは何を指しているのでしょう? 答えは、if以下の名詞節を指している形式主語と呼ばれるものです。 だからこの文は主語がif you didn't put down that you have a driver's license 「資格に運転免許証と書かないこと」がbetterじゃないの?といっている文です。 Would it be better? Wouldn't it be better? どちらも譲歩の気持ちが入った疑問文で微妙にニュアンスの違いは感じますが、ほとんど一緒と考えていいでしょう。 したがって、 「でも、資格に運転免許証と書かないことの方がベターじゃない?」ということで、訳文の通りの解釈でよいと思います。 具体的にitの指すものがあれば、if以下を条件節と考えることができます。 もし、あなたが運転免許を持っていると書かなかったならば、itの方がよいと思いませんか? it=to drop the application(仕事の応募を取りやめる)とかそんな具体的なことがあれば、e-lさんのように考えても問題はありません。

e-l
質問者

お礼

Would it be better? Wouldn't it be better? が同じ意味ということがわかりすっきりしました。後者が否定を意味していると勘違いしていました。 有難う御座いました。

その他の回答 (4)

• toko0503
  • ベストアンサー率36% (886/2437)
回答No.4

> if you didn't put down that you have a driver's license > もし、あなたが運転免許を持っていると書かなかったならば But wouldn't it be better → もっとよくない? =運転免許なんて書かない方がよくない? これでダメ押しの解決にはならないかな?

e-l
質問者

お礼

Would it be better? Wouldn't it be better? が同じ意味ということがわかりすっきりしました。後者が否定を意味していると勘違いしていました。 有難う御座いました。

• mryokko
  • ベストアンサー率20% (69/337)
回答No.3

wouldn't it be better?:もっとよろしいんじゃなくって? これだけで解決しませんか?

e-l
質問者

お礼

• lolicat
  • ベストアンサー率21% (8/38)
回答No.2

今日は。失礼します~ その参考書が分からないので検討違いでしたら申し訳ないのですが、「But」は接続詞の役割をしていて、「But wouldn't it be better」で考えるのではなく、「But」+「wouldn't it be better 」+「if you didn't put down that you have a driver's license?」で考えるといいと思います。 すると、 「But」=でも 「wouldn't it be better 」=~の方がいいんじゃない?(同意を求める呼びかけ疑問文) 「if you didn't put down 」=あなたはそう書かない方がいい 「that you have a driver's license?」=あなたが運転免許証を持っているということを となり、答えにあるような訳になると思います。 「if」が使われていることと、後半の文章が「don't」ではなく「didn't」になっていることからもそれが分かると思います。 拙い説明失礼しました!

e-l
質問者

お礼

noname#11080
noname#11080
回答No.1

英語のニュアンスがずばりの訳だと思います。wouldn't it be better?は would it be better? をやや強めた言い方です。

e-l
質問者

お礼

関連するQ&A

• 英語の日本語訳を教えてください。

What would that give you that you wouldn't otherwise have? コーチングで使う質問なのですが、どのように訳したらいいのでしょうか? 直訳、意訳、両方教えて頂けますとありがたいです。

• 会話文について

会話文について A: Janet,have you seen my wallet? B: No,I haven't. A: This is really strange. I'm sure I put it on this table, but now I can't find it. B: Is there a lot of money in it? A: No,just a few dollars, but my driver's license is in it, so I really have to find it. B: Have you checked your jacket pocket? Maybe that's where it is. A: No, it isn't there. B:( ) A: Because I just remembered where I put it. Year, here it is. just where I put it when I got dressedーin the back pocket of my jeans. 1. Well, how do you know if you don't check 2. Are you positive that's where you placed it 3. Why are you always so tidy 4. Why are you so sure you put it on the table この答えは1になるのですが、どうしても1をうまく訳すことができません。 赤本の訳によると、「まあ、チェックもしていないのになんでわかるの?」となるのですが、自分が訳すと「どうしてチェックしていないのかどうかわかるの?」となってしまいます。 自分は、knowの後には目的語が必要だと思い、ifを「~かどうか」という名詞節で取ったのですが。。 まさか、knowの後には何かが省略されているのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英会話の中でわからない英文があります

英会話の中でわからない英文があります A: Listen, I was thinking. How would you like some free legal advice? B:You want to be my lawyer? How long do you want to send me away for? A: I got way too big an ego for that. B: Oh. That's true. A: No. I wouldn't be representing you. I've got a friend who is a securities attorney. But I could help you put together the case. *how long do you want to send me away for *I got way too big an ego for that *put together the case ↑この3つの文の意味を教えてください

• 英訳をお願いします。

下記の文章の英訳を教えてください。 I feel better that you have understood what I have told you. and, I hope that you wouldn't have any other misunderstanding 私があなたに言ったことを、あなたが理解していると感じている。 そして、あなたが誤解していないことを望む。 という訳で間違いないでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の訳お願いします!

Have you ever seen the fossils of dinosaurs in a museum?Some are gigantic and horrible and some are small and pretty.If dinosaurs ( (1)) today, the world would get into a total panic.Of course we know that they disappeard from the Earth about 65 million years ago.But wouldn`t you be surprised to hear that their descendants still exist today?Dinosaurs are reptiles that existed in ancient times.Today,reptiles can be found all over the world.For example,lizards,snakes,alligators and turtles are all reptiles.So, are these animals the direct descendants of dinosaurs?Some scientists say it`s actually birds that are the descendants of dinosaurs.This may seem unbelievable, because birds have feathers,wings and most of them can fly.These characteristics seem completely different from those of dinosaurs. But if you have seen the fossil of an ancient bird called the archaeopteryx , you may have noticed some similarities in form between the archaeopteryx and some dinosaurs.Recently,dinosaur fossils which share many properties with birds have been found(another/after/one). Some of them are said to have had feathers on thier body, In view of this evidence, more and more scientists have come to think that birds have evolved from dinosaurs of some kind. If dinosaurs hadn`t existed, there wouldn`t be any birds today. It`s a real surprise that two animals that look so different are so closely related to each other.

• get that mad over

Maybe she is a very possessive person. She might be mad because you didn't ask her. well, I think she is pretty possessive. But she wouldn't get that mad over something so pointless. ここでのthatはyou didn't ask herですよね? だとするとover以下と同じ事を言っている気がするのですが、 なぜshe wouldn't get mad over something so pointless.と発言しないのでしょうか?ここでthatを入れるのはどの様な感覚からでしょうか?

• 英語の歌詞の訳をお願いします。

英語の歌詞の訳をお願いします。 できれば大切な人に語りかけるような口調の訳だと 嬉しいです。 I know you think that I shouldnt still love you or tell you that But if I didnt say it, well, Id still have felt it Wheres the sense in that? I promise Im not trying to make your life harder or return to where we were But I will go down with this ship I wont put my hands up and surrender There will be no white flag above my door Im in love and always will be I know I left too much mess and destruction to come back again And I caused nothing but trouble I understand if you cant talk to me again And if you live by the rules of "Its Over" then Im sure that that makes sense And when we meet, which Im sure we will, all that was there will be there still Ill let it pass and hold my tongue And you will think that Ive moved on よろしくお願いします。

• この短い会話文を訳して頂けないでしょうか?ご協力宜しくお願い致します。

完璧に理解するために、2、3件の回答を比べたいと思っております。 数件既に書き込まれていても、答えが同じでも構わず書き込んで頂ければ幸いです。確認のためです。 全文、和訳でよろしくお願い致します。 和夫・Why are you taking the bus to work? 聖子・My car is in the repair shop again. 和夫・You sure have had a lot of work done on that thing lately. 聖子・Yeah, I'm getting to know the people down at the garage better than my own family. この文中で、特にYou sure have had a lot of work done on that thing lately.の on that thing と、 I'm getting to know the people down at the garage better than my own family の know the people down がいまいち理解できません。 こちらも別個で訳を解説して頂ければ幸いです。 何卒よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文法と訳について

What am I listening to? You don't recognize that famous gravelly voice? I guess you young people wouldn't. It's Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World." No, doesn't ring any bells? Brings back so many lovely memories for me. 上記の英文のpeople wouldn'tのところのwouldn'tは仮定法ですか? Brings back so many lovely memories for me. この文に主語が無いのはなぜですか?主語を付けるとすればItですか?thatですか? He was one of the greatest improvisers jazz had ever seen, not only when playing the trumpet but when singing, too. Ever heard of scat singing? It's where you sing using sounds, not actual words and lyrics: shoo-doo-shoo-bee-ooo-bee. That sort of thing. 上記の英文で He was one of the greatest improvisers jazz had ever seen、 とありますが He was one of the greatest improvisers +jazz had ever seen ということで、ジャズでかつて見たことの無いもっとも偉大な即興演奏家の一人だった。 と言う訳し方でいいのですか? not only when playing the trumpet but when singing,too 上の文のwhen playingと when singingはそれぞれ助動詞 isが省かれてるのですか? not only when playing the trumpet but when singing,tooは、どう訳していけばいいのですか? Ever heard of scat singing?は Have youが省略されているんですか? 教えて下さい。宜しくお願いします。

• この会話文の構造を教えていただけませんか?

男.How is your novel coming along? Have you finished writing it? 女.I wish I could say yes, but I haven't been very productive lately. 男.Maybe it's writer's block. You need to get away for a while. You've probably been working too hard. 女.You're right. I don't think it's anything a few days off wouldn't cure. で、最後の I don't think it's anything a few days off wouldn't cure. の文の構造を教えて頂ける方いらっしゃらないでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。 英検準1級リスニングの問題です。