ディケンズの文章から「so far」の解釈について考察

このQ&Aのポイント
  • ディケンズの文章から「so far」というフレーズの意味を理解するために、文脈を考える必要があります。この文章では、現在の時代と比べて、かつての時代が非常に似ていることが述べられています。その中で、「so far」はそれまでのところ、現時点までの状況を指しています。
  • 「so far」の意味は、始まりから現在までの範囲や進行状況を示す表現です。この文章では、現在の時代とかつての時代を比較していますが、現時点までの状況が非常に似ていることを強調しています。
  • ディケンズの文章における「so far」は、これまでのところ、現時点までの範囲を指しています。文章の文脈から推測すると、現在の時代がかつての時代と共通点が多いことを表す言葉として使用されています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

ディケンズの文章から、"so far"の解釈についてお尋ねします。

"it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,... we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way — in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." "so far" は「それまでのところ」でしょうか?意味がしっくりきません。

noname#17726
noname#17726
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#11434
noname#11434
回答No.1

in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only. far は"like the present period"を強める副詞。「"実に" 現代とよく似ている」といった感じ。それにsoが付き、直後のカンマのあとに来るthatと呼応してso ~ that の構文になっているんじゃないでしょうか? カンマが入っているのでthat以下は「その結果」として訳します。

関連するQ&A

• so farです。

Still, it was a nerve-racking day on Wall Street, with the Dow ending down 128 points, or about 1 percent. Even after the rebound, the major market indexes are down about 10 percent so far in January and even further off their recent highs in October. 「一月現在」およそ10%下がっており、10月の高い状態「からは大変低い。」 so far in Januaryですが、「一月に入った時点を基準に今日までのところ」と考えましたが、よろしいでしょうか。

• 文章解釈 housekeeping …

以下の文章に関する質問です。 ‘So in one part of the experiment, she had a group of friends that were asked to just put their phones away during the meal; it was just an innocuous instruction. And then the other group were asked to leave their phones on the table because they were going to get some housekeeping instructions for this particular experiment.’? housekeeping instructionsをどのように理解すれば良いのかわからないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。

• In so far ...とは??

この文の正確な意味が辞書を見てもわかりません。 In so far part of the figure show units to perform the function. 図の説明の後に出てくる文なので、 「ここまでの図の部分に関してはその機能を実行するためのユニットを示している」 って感じかと思うのですが、「In so far」の部分の文法的な意味がわかりません。 よろしくご教示おねがいします。

• 文章解釈

添付ファイルで赤くマーカーされている 文章の解釈が分からないです。 どういった意図でこの文章が導入されているか解説宜しくお願いします。 As he put it in The War of Art, "We don't tell ourselves,'I'm never going to write my symphony. Instead we say, 'I'm going to write my symphony;I'm just going to start tomorrow.' As he put it in The War of Art,は理解できます。 解説宜しくお願いします。

• 解釈お願いします。

解釈3つよろしくお願いします。 (1)It is not so much what a man wears at the way he wears it that warks the gentleman. (2)Grateful as we all are for the riches made available through cheap printing.(一部) (3)It was about a mile to the base of the hill,and from the bottom it looked impossible to walk up ,much less run. 一つでもいいのでよろしくお願いします。 Ps すいませんもう一つ・・・・(誤りを指摘せよ) Science is far away from a collection of facts and method. たくさんあってすいません。

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

Basically it was the same thing all over again. In this situation it's like, I don't know what the terms of your own personal contract was, but I was unlawfully fired. We had specific rules in our contract on how it has to be done, and it wasn't followed.” On the problems in STP last year: “There were financial things we were dealing with, and I also felt on a creative level that we needed to take a break. I felt like we were playing the same set over and over and over. We were supposed to do a big big release of the box set for the 20th anniversary of Core and go on tour in the summer of 2012 and play Core in its entirety which is an idea we got from a couple other bands, namely Weezer. It was hugely successful, and for us to do that with Core, the offers we were getting were amazing, and they didn't want to do it. There was a lot of promotion that would have had to take place. So that didn't happen, so we ended up playing the greatest hits set, which was basically the same version of the set we had been playing since 2008 when we got back together.

• so far from being の解釈

添付リンク動画の 12:52辺りで話者が I did not understand how lonely I was, and of course, ironically, the last thing you want is to have people around you; you do not want to let anyone in. And I'm so far from being the only one who has felt like this. Depression is a massive issue. と言っている部分について質問です。 And I'm so far from being the only one who has felt like this. をどのように理解すれば良いのか分からないです。 「わたしは、このように感じた唯一の人であることから、ずいぶんかけ離れています。」 so far from beingを以下の成句のように取ると意味が分からなくなるので、文字通りに解釈して理解するのが合っているのか分からないです。解説宜しくお願いします。 [so fár from dóing …するよりむしろ, …する代わりに 《◆文頭では so の省略も可; →FAR from ... ⑶》] <ジーニアス辞典> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Gil9l8yIE&list=PL30zjok3FlgCz516IQ54DML47ra04Hkot&index=2

• 英語で

I longed for years to go to Rome;but,when at last I went to Rome, and dlove through its streets,I wondered whether it was worth while going so far to see a city so unworthy of its history. この訳を教えてください

• 簡単な文章ですが、訳を教えてください。

こんにちわ。私は英語が得意ではないため、基本的な文章もわからないことだらけなので、訳を教えてほしいのですが、ちょっと読みづらいかもしれませんが、 「彼女と私は同じ年だった。私たちは遊びに行ったり、会ったするコミニュケーションが足りなかった。私の能力不足(英語)のせいもあるかもしれないけど・・・。私と彼女は趣味や価値観が合わなかった。それは国籍の違いとかではなく彼女自身と合わなかった。」 me and she was same age. we didnt going out and face to face ... its not enogh. we were different Sense of values. 「私たちはお互いを好きだった。しかし、それはloveにはならなかった(発展しなかった)。私たちは話し合いをして別れた。私はそのほうがお互いにいいと思った。」 we like each other. but It.... we talk about each other,and we goes out..I thought its better..... すみませんがご指導よろしくおねがいします

• as (reason / time)の文章について

as(reason/time)の勉強をしていますが、素朴な疑問がでましたので、教えてくださると助かります。 下記の文章を→のように変えることも可能ですか? as に関係なしに文法のルールがあるのでしょうか? それとも、asを使うときは、「してること」が先に「出来事」を後に書くというルールなどがあるのでしょうか? <Reason> (1)As it was a public holiday, all the shops were shut.   → All the shops were shut as it was a public holiday. (2)As they live near us, we see them quite often. → We see them quite often as they live neat us. (3)We watched television all evening as we had nothing better to do. → As we had nothing better to do, we watched television all evening. <Time> (4)Tim slipped as he was getting off the bus. → As Tim was getting off the bus, he slipped. (5)The thief was seen as he was climbing over the wall. → As he was climbing over the wall, the thief was seen. (6)As I sat down, the phone rang. → The phone rang as I sat down. → As the phone rang, I sat down. (意味が変わりそうですが。。) (7)As we were going out, it stared to rain. → It stared to rain as we were going out. → As it stared to rain, we were going out. (これも意味が変わりそうですが) もし、as以前に基本的な文法がわかっていないと思う場合は文法の何を勉強すればいいのか こちらのアドバイスも頂けると大変嬉しいです。 よろしくお願いします。