Understanding the Meaning of 'They' in Quoted Passage

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 'They' in the quoted passage refers to the efforts and dedication mentioned in the preceding sentences.
  • The use of 'they' instead of 'it' suggests the collective and collaborative nature of these efforts.
  • It is important to interpret 'they' as an inclusive term that involves all participating nations.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

"they"の指す内容がわかりません

they be aimed logically and honestly toward secure peace for all; and that, in their result, they provide methods by which every participating nation will prove good faith in carrying out its pledge. ( http://www.re-quest.net/history/inaugurals/eisenhower/ ) 引用の冒頭"they"の指す内容は何でしょうか?なぜ "it"じゃないのでしょうか?"effort"を指すのか"dedication"かそれとも? よろしくお願いします。

noname#17725
noname#17725
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • atafona
  • ベストアンサー率46% (23/49)
回答No.1

こんにちは。 URLを見てみましたが、 この文章の前に、 The sole requisites for undertaking such effort are that, in their purpose, てありますよね。この requisites が they じゃないですか?

関連するQ&A

• 代名詞theyが何を意味するか添削して下さい。

【 】内の代名詞がどれを意味するか、添削して下さい。 もし違っていたら、なぜ違っていたのか、どうすればよかったのか教えて頂ければ嬉しいです。 また、以前theyは所有格を指す、themは目的格を指すなどと参考書でみたことがあったのですが、 この所有格目的格というのがいったいどういうもので、代名詞が出た際にどういう風に照らし合わせればいいのか、参考書を見ても良くわかりませんでした。 お手数おかけして申し訳ないのですが、このあたりについても教えて頂ければ嬉しいです。 (以下前文)children tend to process information about social interactions in ways that promote aggressive reactions to these interactions. (以下質問部)【1.They】 assume that other children will be aggressive toward 【2.them】, and 【3.they】 interpret other children's actions in line with these assumptions rather than using cues from the specific situations 【4.they】 actually face. in addition, 【5.they】 tend to believe that any negative action by a peer. 1.these interactions. 2.other children 3.前文のthem=other children 4.other children(比較級なので、3の対比) 5.the specific situations

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

“I don’t have any faith in the whites in power responding in the right way … they’ll treat us like they did our Japanese brothers and sisters in World War II. They’ll throw us into concentration camps. The Wallaces and the Birchites will take over... The sick people and the fascists will be strengthened. They’ll cordon off the ghetto and issue passes for us to get in and out.” -Martin Luther King Jr

• この文章について教えてください

In a five-year study, researchers conducted interviews with the top twenty perfprmers in six fields; concert pianists, Olympic swimmers, artinsts, tennis players, mathmaticians and brain surgeons. Ther researchers heard of enormous drive and dedication, with most top performers spending many hours practicing or studying every day when they were young. (1)perfprmersはどう訳せばよいのでしょうか? (2)2パラグラフにあるdrive and dedicationがわかりません (3)2パラグラフのカンマのうしろにあるwith以降の構造がどうなっていて、どう訳せばよいのか教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 代名詞(they・such等)が訳せません。

代名詞(they・such等)をうまく訳す事が出来なくて、苦労しています。 itの場合は、 ・強調構文  ・It is 形容詞/副詞 that/to →仮主語のit  ・状況のit を除いて、基本的にいちばん近い(前の)名詞(単数形)をとると教わりました。 また、thisは基本的に前文をとると教わりました。(場合によっては後文) theyやsuchは、感覚的にはitとは違うように思えます。 thisと同じく前文から取るのでしょうか? 以下、例文を示しておきます。 ・theyの場合 personality researchers have attempted to devise formal methods for describing and measuring personality,which go beyond our everyday use of trait terms in thee ways. first,【they】 seek to reduce the potential set of trait… ・suchの場合 one certainly has to represent the transition from sober reasoning to phantastic attempts to solve a problem as a transition to processes within irreal levels. but are we dealing in these cases with locomotions of the person as a whole? if the person were at each moment within only one level of reality, one would have to represent him as two-dimensional. However, 【such a thesis】 is open to doubt… どこまで前文を記せば代名詞が特定できるかわからないので、少し大目に書きました。 英語の文章が足りないようであれば加筆します。

• made gestures

My husband and I are in our 30s and live on the East Coast. My entire extended family (15 people) lives in the Midwest. We see my aunts and uncles when we visit my parents twice a year. I talk to my parents, brother and grandmother on the phone regularly, but I would like to develop a closer relationship with one aunt and uncle, in particular. They don't have kids of their own. They're great role models and they've always made gestures toward me. They taught me how to cook and bake from scratch. made gesturesはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の邦訳

The reduced attention to regulation and the conciliatory attitude that the agencies exhibited toward the companies they were designed to regulate occurred in virtually every major federal agency, including the Federal Trade Commission, the Interstate Commerce Commission, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.この邦訳で, they were designed to regulateの位置付けが文法的に判然としません。お分かりになる方,御教示,宜しくお願いします。

• 英文和訳

There are also diverse opinions on how great a role faith and religion play in happiness. Many researchers, however, agree that spirituality does play at least role. Fully rational people, they believe, are less likely to be happy. どなたかお願いしますm(__)m

• よろしくお願いします

I have a co-worker who has been on for over a year. She misses one day a week for physical therapy. The rest of the staff members in the office have to cover her position while she is gone. People in management said they can't do anything about it, and they have not been able to get temporary help for one day a week, as we live in a small town. The kicker is that we feel that she is milking this injury and the rest of us are carrying the load. 1 workers' compensationとはどのような物でしょうか? 2 何を一週間にいちど見過ごす(欠席する)のでしょうか? 3 milking this injury and the rest of us are carrying the loadの訳をよろしくお願いします 以上、よろしくお願いします

• 先ほど質問しましたが、前後の英文の画像を添付出来てなかったので、

先ほど質問しましたが、前後の英文の画像を添付出来てなかったので、 前後の文を入れて再質問します。 John Whitney HallのJapanの中の次の文の訳がよく解りません。 Not one of these elements need have proved critical in pushing Japan toward the course it took, 前後の文は以下の通りです。 And the armed forces,independent of civilian control,existed as a powerful vehicle for the eventual application of such concepts in domestic and foreign affairs. Not one of these elements need have proved critical in pushing Japan toward the course it took,but taken together,and in conbination with the failure of party government at home and of world cooperation abroad, they created the necessary environment. 外人に聞くと、 need haveは研究者がよく使う表現とか?! need haveはhave toに置き換えられる?! 解ったような解らないような・・・。 あまり単語を変えない解りやすい英文にするとどう表現するのでしょうか。

• 和訳してください(+_+)

So it may seem that there are no limits to the body,and that we will continue to see new records forever. Can this really be so? Isn't it likely that men and women will gradually approach some absolute limits? Most of the recent improvements in sports records have been the result of improvements in diet, coaching and training methods, and the increasing number of people participating in sports. In a few sports such as skiing and pole-vaulting, improvements in equipment have made a big difference. Again, some people fear that we may be reaching the limits. The pressure to break records has often had unfortunate results, such as the secret use of dangerous drugs (sometimes called "doping").