How to Navigate Family Disapproval in a Relationship?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find advice on handling family disapproval in a relationship when they judge based on disability.
  • Living with family disapproval despite being in a committed relationship, seeking guidance on moving forward.
  • Balancing the desire to protect future kids from judgmental family members and maintaining family ties.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

My family is convinced that my smart, hardworking, caring boyfriend of nearly two years is a deadbeat because he has a disability. Nothing I say will convince them otherwise. They declared him persona non grata after just one meeting, so there’s nothing he can really do to change their minds either. I hoped that time would soften them up a little, but we are living together and nothing has changed. At this point, we are talking marriage and kids. I guess what I’m asking is for advice on how to be the black sheep of the family. On the one hand, I wouldn’t want our future kids to spend time with people who can think such hateful things about their dad. On the other hand, I don’t want to burn any unnecessary bridges. persona non grataの意味は「受け入れ難い人」で良いでしょうか?あと、I don’t want to burn any unnecessary bridges.はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。persona non grataの意味は「受け入れ難い人」で良いでしょうか?  はい。 2。あと、I don’t want to burn any unnecessary bridges.はどのような意味でしょうか?  「(渡った後で)橋を焼く」は下記のように「背水の陣を敷く」などと言った意味です。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=burn+bridge  ですから「必要以上に、再び引き返せないように私の家族との絆を断ち切りたくはない」と言うことでしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• it とthem の使い分けについて 辞書例文

ジーニアス辞典のthat の項目 it is nót that ... (but it is júst that ...)にある 以下の例文について質問です。 それは…というわけではなく(ただ…というだけのことである)(!直前の発言の理由を説明) ▶I don’t have a cell phone. It’s not that I dislike them, but it’s just that I think it unnecessary. 私は携帯を持っていないが, それは嫌いだからというのではなく, ただ不要だと思っているからだけなのである(!(1)しばしばit isが省略されnot that ...の形になる. (2)後半部はbutやit is, justなどが省略されたりsimplyやratherといった副が添えられたりする) I don’t have a cell phone. It’s not that I dislike them, but it’s just that I think it unnecessary. I dislike them とthem になっているのは 携帯全般を意味するためにthem になっていて、I think it のit がthem ではなく、itであるのは個別の携帯を指すために使われているという理解で合っているのか自信がないです。 このthem とitを両方とも itやthem に統一したり、 {I don’t have a cell phone. It’s not that I dislike it*, but it’s just that I think it unnecessary. I don’t have a cell phone. It’s not that I dislike them, but it’s just that I think them* unnecessary.} お互いを交換することもできるように思えるのですが、確信が持てないです。 I don’t have a cell phone. It’s not that I dislike it, but it’s just that I think them unnecessary. 解説宜しくお願いします。

• bridges はどんな橋/ブリッジでしょう?

You don't want to burn any bridges with her. の bridges は人と人をつなぐ橋というイメージから来た言い方でしょうか? 船のブリッジ?めがねのブリッジ? 例えば彼女と別れたけれどこのままいい友達でいたい、という時に、 元カレと元カノの間の bridges とは何でしょうか? どうして複数になるのでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語の並び替えの質問です。

I don't want them to get damaged. が正しくて、 I don't want to get them damaged. がダメな理由を教えてください。

• 日本語訳を教えてください(かなり長文です)(5)

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superiorという記事の日本語訳教えてください。お願いします。 (And it's true that Chinese mothers get in the trenches, putting in long grueling hours personally tutoring, training, interrogating and spying on their kids.) Anyway, the understanding is that Chinese children must spend their lives repaying their parents by obeying them and making them proud. By contrast, I don't think most Westerners have the same view of children being permanently indebted to their parents. My husband, Jed, actually has the opposite view. "Children don't choose their parents," he once said to me. "They don't even choose to be born. It's parents who foist life on their kids, so it's the parents' responsibility to provide for them. Kids don't owe their parents anything. Their duty will be to their own kids." This strikes me as a terrible deal for the Western parent. Third, Chinese parents believe that they know what is best for their children and therefore override all of their children's own desires and preferences. That's why Chinese daughters can't have boyfriends in high school and why Chinese kids can't go to sleepaway camp. It's also why no Chinese kid would ever dare say to their mother, "I got a part in the school play! I'm Villager Number Six. I'll have to stay after school for rehearsal every day from 3:00 to 7:00, and I'll also need a ride on weekends." God help any Chinese kid who tried that one. Don't get me wrong: It's not that Chinese parents don't care about their children. Just the opposite. They would give up anything for their children. It's just an entirely different parenting model. Here's a story in favor of coercion, Chinese-style. Lulu was about 7, still playing two instruments, and working on a piano piece called "The Little White Donkey" by the French composer Jacques Ibert.

• 大大大至急!!日本語訳お願いします!

parents today ,say some social critics ,have a special dilemma to deal with. on the one hand,there is the pressure of competition the need for mons and dads to give their kids a head stars in life , to make sure their sons and daughter keep ahead of their peers in the race to success. As a result,parents push kids to grow up too fast , boasting that their boy or girl is already reading at age two, for example, or taking college level math courses in middle school .on the other hand, modern society is fraught with dangers of all kinds (particularly what the BBS calls the sexualization and commercialization of childhood by TV , movies,games,and ads that target kids ) to which parents respond by helicopter their children,hovering over them, solving all their problems,overprotecting them.

• よろしくお願いします

I am upset with my sister for the way she is parenting her kids. She makes her daughters, ages 8 and 6, get on a scale every day. She says weighing them is good because it makes them more aware of their weight and what they eat and are putting into their bodies. are putting into their bodiesの主語は何でしょうか?意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• put them up to it

My mother complains constantly that her teenage grandchildren do not call or text her; however, she does not call or text them either, claiming, "I just don't want to bug anybody." On the rare occasion that she does reach out, usually via text, she is never satisfied with their response. I encourage my children to text her, but she accuses me of putting them up to it. putting them up to itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 以下の英文を和訳して頂けないでしょうか?

(1)Kids see bullying everyday. (2)They want to help, but don't know how. teach them how to be more than a bystander.

• call them out

I strongly dislike—or don’t fully trust—some of my husband’s friends and family. Although the family has accepted me with open arms, his father, the father’s side of the family, some of my husband’s friends, and their wives occasionally use cultural stereotypes. I’m the only person of color and the newest addition to the group; while I don’t want to be pegged as “the sensitive minority,” I also feel that my silence means acceptance of their words. My husband is totally accepting of others, never stereotypes anyone, and recognizes that these “joking” comments are offensive. But the one time I pushed him to respond to an offensive forwarded email, he dragged his feet, which was disappointing. I feel that since they’re his friends and family HE should be the one to say something, but I understand that he doesn’t want to get into an argument with people who raised him/whom he grew up with, and whom he loves. Is there a polite way to call them out on their words, or should I just leave this alone since 1) we don’t often see them and 2) they don’t say this stuff all of the time? call them out on their wordsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 副詞句at allは名詞nothingにかかる?

There is nothing at all inherent in non-standard varieties which makes them inferior. という文があるのですが、このat allはnothing(の中の否定の形容詞の要素)にかかっているのでしょうか? それともisにかかっているのでしょうか? ご教授願います。