• 締切済み

お願い:英語の和訳

英語の和訳ができる方、ご教授お願い申し上げます。次の英文の私がした全訳をチェックしてください(とくに(★)がついているところ。) 本来は一つの段落の文章ですが、一文一文区切ってあります。見づらくて恐縮ですが、英文一文ごとに和訳一文を掲載し、疑問点を書いてあります。 以下、訳がおかしなところを指摘し、疑問点にお答えいただく存じます。 すべてではなく、一部でも構いません。 The other day in the train I saw a young soldier opposite me on the journey to Portsmouth. 【訳】先日、ポーツマス行きの電車の中で、私の向かいに座っていた、ある若い兵士に出くわした。 On the back of his right hand was tattooed a very red heart, and beneath were the words “True Love”; and on the back of his left hand was tattooed the head of a girl. 【訳】彼の右手の裏には真っ赤な赤いハートの刺青があり、その下には「真実の愛」とあった。そして、彼の左手の裏には、ある女の子の頭を描いた刺青があった。 He was perhaps twenty. 【訳】彼はおそらく20歳であった。 (★)Should there be no more wars to trouble the world, I thought, as from time to time I glanced at him, he will probably live to be seventy. 【訳】万が一、世界を惑わすような戦争が起こらなければ、私は時折彼を見てみて、おそらく70歳までは生きるだろうと思った。 【疑問点】no moreの訳・文法的役割は? / as の用法は? /live to be seventyは不定詞の副詞的用法の結果か? Since tattoo marks never come out and the backs of one’s hands are usually visible to oneself, he is likely to have some curious thoughts as he passes down the years. 【訳】刺青の跡は決して消えることはなく、手の裏はたいてい自分自身で見ることができるので、歳をとるにつれて、彼は何かしら不思議な感情を抱くだろう。 【疑問点】asは「~するにつれて」で良いか? What kind of emotions, I wondered, will be his as he views them at thirty-one, forty-one, fifty-one? 【訳】30、40、50になったときに、彼の刺青をみて彼はどんな感情を抱くだろうと私は疑問に思った 【疑問点】hisの後ろはemotionsが省略されているのか? And supposing that this first love fails, what will be the attitude of subsequent ladies to these tattoos. 【訳】仮にこの初恋が失敗したとして、次の女性はこれらの刺青に対してどんな態度で臨むのだろう。 (★)For it would probably be in vain, even if he were smart enough to think of it, for him to insist that the decoration was purely symbolic, the right-hand tattoo standing for love and the left for women in general. 【訳】というのも、彼がと主張してもおそらく刺青は無駄になるからだ。いくら彼がそれを考えられるほど賢かったとしても、 【疑問点】主節はit would be~for 人to doの構文か?even if~は仮定法過去? think ofの訳は?itは何を指すのか?standingは分詞構文か? That would hardly wash. 【訳】刺青は決して洗い出すことはできない。 【疑問点】thatは何を指すのか? Subsequent ladies―and judging from his appearance and his early start there are sure to be some―may give him rather a difficult time. 【訳】彼の外見と第一印象から判断したとすると、次の女性との時間は幾分難しいものとなるだろう。 【疑問点】his early startの訳は? It all goes to prove what a dangerous thing impulse can be. 【訳】そのことは、出来心はいかに危険なものであることを証明するであろう。 【疑問点】allの用法は? (★)And yet as I looked at his simple face, I found myself envying such a lack of self-protectiveness ; and I asked myself if, after all, those who will have nothing to do with self-protectiveness are not the salt of the earth. 【訳】そして、しかし、彼の単純な顔を見て、私は自分が彼のそのような自己保存の欠如をうらやましく思った。そして、私は自分自身に、結局のところ自己保存と無関係だと思われる人々は正直で貴重な人ではないのかどうか問うた。 【疑問点】suchは何を指しているのか?(いれずみをいれたこと?)self-protectivenessの訳は? The gamblers, the careless, the silppers of all the honey the moment contains: are not these the best? 【訳】ばくち打ち、不注意な人、酒飲み、その一瞬が含む甘美な時間:これらはベストではないのか? 【疑問点】コロンの前の構文がまったくとれません。 Most young careless acts are not as reckless as his-and, of course, it may all end happily : what the young man did may turn out also to be right. 【訳】たいていの若い人の行動は彼(兵士)ほど向こうみずではない。そして、もちろん、そのことは最終的に幸せにいきつくのである。すなわち、若者がしたことは、おそらく正しいのかもしれない。 With all my heart I hope so. 【訳】私は、心からそう思っています。 以上、お手数おかけしますが、何卒よろしくお願い致します m(_ _)m

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

みんなの回答

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9728/12102)
回答No.2

以下のとおりお答えします。質問文引用の上、⇒のあとに添削文や説明を列記します。 (字数節約のため、原文の中間部・【訳】・【疑問点】などは削除させていただきました。) The other day ~ to Portsmouth. 先日、ポーツマス行きの電車の中で、私の向かいに座っていた、ある若い兵士に出くわした。 ⇒先日、ポーツマス行きの旅の列車の中で、私の向かいに座っている若い兵士が目に入った。 On the back ~ girl. 彼の右手の裏には真っ赤な赤いハートの刺青があり、その下には「真実の愛」とあった。そして、彼の左手の裏には、ある女の子の頭を描いた刺青があった。 ⇒彼の右手の甲には真っ赤なハートの刺青があり、その下には「真実の愛」とあった。そして、彼の左手の甲には、ある女の子の頭を描いた刺青があった。 Should ~ seventy. 万が一、世界を惑わすような戦争が起こらなければ、私は時折彼を見てみて、おそらく70歳までは生きるだろうと思った。 ⇒私は時折彼を見ながら考えた。もうこれ以上世界を惑わすような戦争が起こらなければ、彼はおそらく70歳まで生きるだろう、と。 *no moreの訳・文法的役割は? / as の用法は? /live to be seventyは不定詞の副詞的用法の結果か? ⇒no だけでも意味は通じるが、no moreとすると「もうこれ以上に(~しなければ)」と強調する。/このasは接続詞で、「時折彼を見ながら私は考えた」の「~しながら」の部分に相当する。/ はい、to be seventyは結果を表す、不定詞の副詞的用法です。 Since ~ years. 刺青の跡は決して消えることはなく、手の裏はたいてい自分自身で見ることができるので、歳をとるにつれて、彼は何かしら不思議な感情を抱くだろう。 ⇒刺青の跡は決して消えることがないし、手の甲は通常自分で見ることができるので、歳をとるにつれて、彼は何かしら変わった考えを抱くことになるだろう。 *asは「~するにつれて」で良いか? ⇒はい、それでいいと思います。 What ~ fifty-one? 30、40、50になったときに、彼の刺青をみて彼はどんな感情を抱くだろうと私は疑問に思った ⇒彼が30、40、50になったとき、自分の刺青を見て彼はどんな感情を抱くだろうと私は疑問に思った。 hisの後ろはemotionsが省略されているのか? ⇒そう考えてもいいでしょうが、実はこのhisは独立所有格で、「彼のもの」の意。(my-mineや、her-hersに対して、his-hisなので紛らわしい。) And ~ tattoos. 仮にこの初恋が失敗したとして、次の女性はこれらの刺青に対してどんな態度で臨むのだろう。 ⇒仮にこの初恋が失敗したとして、次の女性はこれらの刺青に対してどんな態度を取るのだろう。 For ~ general. というのも、彼がと主張してもおそらく刺青は無駄になるからだ。いくら彼がそれを考えられるほど賢かったとしても、 ⇒というのも、その装飾は全くの象徴で、右手の刺青は愛を、左手のは一般の女性を表している、などと主張することを考えつくほど彼が賢かったとしても、そんなことは無駄だからだ。 *主節はit would be~for 人to doの構文か?even if~は仮定法過去? think ofの訳は?itは何を指すのか?standingは分詞構文か? ⇒主節は、it would be~even if...in generalの構文でしょう(it=even if以下。「~するとしてもそれは…」)。even if~は、はい、仮定法過去です。think ofの訳は「思いつく」。このitはto insist that~を指します。standingは、はい、分詞構文です。 That would hardly wash.刺青は決して洗い出すことはできない。 ⇒そんなことは、ほとんど通用すまい。 *thatは何を指すのか? ⇒前文の内容を受けています。 Subsequent ~ time. 彼の外見と第一印象から判断したとすると、次の女性との時間は幾分難しいものとなるだろう。 ⇒次の女性は ― 彼の外見と出発点の早さ(若さ)から判断すれば、間違いなく数人は現れるだろう ― 彼にとっては幾分つらい時をもたらすことになるだろう。 his early startの訳は? ⇒彼が早い時期に出発した(若い時に刺青した)こと It ~ be. そのことは、出来心はいかに危険なものであることを証明するであろう。 ⇒そのことは、出来心がいかに危険なものである得るかを如実に証明することになるだろう。 *allの用法は? ⇒「まったく、すっかり」(=強意副詞)として用いられている。 And ~ earth. そして、しかし、彼の単純な顔を見て、私は自分が彼のそのような自己保存の欠如をうらやましく思った。そして、私は自分自身に、結局のところ自己保存と無関係だと思われる人々は正直で貴重な人ではないのかどうか問うた。 ⇒それなのに私は、彼の単純な顔を見て、そのような自己保存の欠如を羨んでいる自分に気づいた。そして、自己保存などとは無縁だと思われるような人々は、結局のところ、地球にとって必須の存在ではないのか、と自問した。 *suchは何を指しているのか?(いれずみをいれたこと?)self-protectivenessの訳は? ⇒suchの指しているのは、「刺青を入れたこととその影響を負っていること」。self-protectivenessの訳は、「自己保存(の本能)」。 The ~ best? ばくち打ち、不注意な人、酒飲み、その一瞬が含む甘美な時間:これらはベストではないのか? ⇒博徒、不注意な人、酒飲み、一瞬の間含まれる蜜を吸う者、こういう人々がベストではないのか? Most ~ right. たいていの若い人の行動は彼(兵士)ほど向こうみずではない。そして、もちろん、そのことは最終的に幸せにいきつくのである。すなわち、若者がしたことは、おそらく正しいのかもしれない。 ⇒最も不注意の若者でさえ、その行動は彼(兵士)ほど向こうみずではない ― それにもかかわらず、もちろんのこと、最終的にはすべてが幸せに行き着くだろう。すなわち、くだんの若者がしたことも正しい、ということになるのかも知れないということだ。 With all my heart I hope so. 私は、心からそう思っています。 ⇒私は、衷心からそう願っている。 以上、ご回答まで。

• Wendy
  • ベストアンサー率21% (25/114)
回答No.1

細かいことですが、On the back of his right hand: 右手の「甲」です。 Should there be no more wars to trouble the world, I thought, as from time to time I glanced at him, he will probably live to be seventy. 世界を悩ませるような戦争がこれ以上起きなければ、おそらく70歳になるまで生きるだろうと、時折彼を見ながら私は思った。 文法用語はよくわからないのですが、as は「~しながら、すると同時に」みたいな感じ? What kind of emotions, I wondered, will be his as he views them at thirty-one, forty-one, fifty-one? 31、41、51になったときに、彼の刺青をみて彼はどんな感情を抱くだろうと私は疑問に思った。 hisの後ろはemotionsが省略でいいと思います。 subsequent ladies と複数なので、「その後(彼が出会う)女性たち」というニュアンスでしょう。 For it would probably be in vain, even if he were smart enough to think of it, for him to insist that the decoration was purely symbolic, the right-hand tattoo standing for love and the left for women in general. この飾りは純粋に象徴的なもので、右手は愛、左手は女性全般を表していると主張することを考え付くほど彼が賢かったとしても、それはおそらく無駄だろうから。 That would hardly wash. そんな言い訳は通じないだろう。 That は前文全体。wash は否定形で使用して「信用できない」というような意味があります。 Subsequent ladies―and judging from his appearance and his early start there are sure to be some―may give him rather a difficult time. 彼の外見と、スタートが早かったことから考えて、今後女性が現れるのは確かだろうが、彼女たちは彼につらくあたるかもしれない。 give someone a difficult time: つらくあたる early start は、二十歳にして刺青に入れるほどの女性がいるという意味でしょうか? It all goes to prove what a dangerous thing impulse can be. all は強調だと思います。 And yet as I looked at his simple face, I found myself envying such a lack of self-protectiveness ; それなのに、彼の素朴な顔を見て、彼にそのような自己防衛の気持ちがないことを、自分がうらやましく思っていることに気付いた。 この話者はこれまでに、「あんな刺青いれちゃって、これから大変だぞぉ、若いなあお前」みたいに考えてたわけですが、ふとそれが自己防衛に他ならないことに気付いたんだと思います。 The gamblers, the careless, the silppers of all the honey the moment contains (silppers は sippers のミススペルとして) ばくち打ち、不注意な人、一瞬の中に現れる蜜をすべて吸い取る人、みたいな意味でしょうか。 後先を考えずその一瞬を大事にする人、という感じ? it may all end happily 最終的にはハッピーエンドになるのかもしれない。 文法の説明はできなくてごめんなさい。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願い致します。

The early speculator was harassed by no such scruples, and asserted as facts what he knew in reality only as probabilities. But we are not on that account to doubt his perfect good faith, nor need we attribute to him wilful misrepresentation, or consciousness of asserting that which he knew not to be true. He had seized one great truth, in which, indeed, he anticipated the highest revelation of modern enquiry -- namely, the unity of the design of the world, and its subordination to one sole Maker and Lawgiver. With regard to details, observation failed him. He knew little of the earth's surface, or of its shape and place in the universe; the infinite varieties of organized existences which people it, the distinct floras and faunas of its different continents, were unknown to him. But he saw that all which lay within his observation bad been formed for the benefit and service of man, and the goodness of the Creator to his creatures was the thought predominant in his mind. Man's closer relations to his Maker is indicated by the representation that he was formed last of all creatures, and in the visible likeness of God. For ages, this simple view of creation satisfied the wants of man, and formed a sufficient basis of theological teaching, and if modern research now shows it to be physically untenable, our respect for the narrative which has played so important a part in the culture of our race need be in nowise diminished. No one contends that it can be used as a basis of astronomical or geological teaching, and those who profess to see in it an accordance with facts, only do this sub modo, and by processes which despoil it of its consistency and grandeur, both which may be preserved if we recognise in it, not an authentic utterance of Divine knowledge, but a human utterance, which it has pleased Providence to use Providence a special way for the education of mankind.

• 英語の和訳お願い致します

The scheme, to be sure, will annoy many of may friends, but I am sure that they will bear with me: they must suffer that I may survive at all. I am as busy as they are, and yet I never make telephone calls by way of secretary. Whenever I wish to call any one I make the call myself, and am at the telephoneready for discourse, the instant the party called responds. This seems to me to be onlycomoon politeness. Neverthless, it appreas to be somewhat rare in the world, and espescially in New York. Very often, so callinga man, I find him surprised into temporary speechlessness by the fact that i am talking to him myself. He expects a preliminary parely with a secretary. He isprepared to give his full name and address, and to answer various other questions.When I burst in upon him at once he is somehow shocked. But life in thisgrand and incomporable republic would be far more comfortable if such shocks were so common that they ceased to shock at all. The telephone is undoubtedlly the most valuable of Amerecan inventions. It is worth a dozen airplanes, radios and talking machines; it ranks perhaps with synthetic gin, the movie, and the bichloride tablet. But here again, once more and doubly damned, we become slaves to a machine. What I propose is simply a way of liberation.

• 和訳お願い致します。

The foregoing explanation many have now adopted. It is sufficient for my purpose, if it be a possible explanation, and if it meet the difficulties of the case. That it is possible in itself, is plain from the fact above established, that the Scriptures wisely speak on natural things according to their appearances rather than their physical realities. It meets the difficulties of the case, because all the difficulties hitherto started against this chapter on scientific grounds proceeded on the principle that it is a cosmogony; which this explanation repudiates, and thus disposes of the difficulties. It is therefore an explanation satisfactory to my own mind. I may be tempted to regret that I eau gain no certain scientific information from Genesis regarding the process of the original creation; but I resist the temptation, remembering the great object for which the Scripture was given -- to tell man of his origin and fall, and to draw his mind to his Creator and Redeemer. Scripture was not designed to teach us natural philosophy, and it is vain to attempt to make a cosmogony out of its statements. The Almighty declares himself the originator of all things, but he condescends not to describe the process or the laws by which he worked. All this he leaves for reason to decipher from the phenomena which his world displays. This exploration, however, I do not wish to impose on Scripture; and am fully prepared to surrender it, should further scientific discovery suggest another better fitted to meet all the requirements of the case.'

• 和訳お願いします。

As their dinner goes on, my father tells of his plans for the future, and mother shows with expressive face how interested she is, and how impressed. My father becomes exultant, lifted up by the waltz that is being played, and his own future begins to intoxicate him. My father tells my mother that he is going to expand his business, for there is a great deal of money to be made. He wants to settle down. After all, he is twenty-nine, he has lived by himself since his thirteenth year, he is making more and more money, and he is envious of his friends when he visits them in the security of their homes, surrounded, it seems, by the calm domestic pleasures, and by delightful children, and then as the waltz reaches the moment when the dancers all swing madly,then, then with awful daring, then he asks my mother to marry him, although awlnvardly enough and puzzled as to how he had arrived at the question, and she, to make the whole business worse, begins to cry, and my father looks nervously about, not knowing at all what to do now, and my mother says, "It's all I've wanted from the first moment I saw you," sobbing, and he fin& all of this very difficult, scarcely to his taste, scarcely as he thought it would be, on his long walks over Brooklyn Bridge in the revery of a fine cigar, and it was then, at that point, that I stood up in the theatre and shouted: "Don't do it! It's not too late to change your minds, both of you. Nothing good will come of it, only remorse, hatred, scandal, and two children whose characters are monstrous." The whole audience turned to look at me, annoyed, the usher came hurrying down the aisle flashing his searchlight, and the old lad next to me tugged me down into my seat, saying: "Be quiet. You'll be put ou4 and you paid thirty-five cents'to come in." And so I shut my eyes becausex could not bear to see what was happening. I sat there quietly.

• 和訳お願い致します。

It should be borne in mind,' says Dr. Buckland, that the object of the account was, not to state in what manner, but by whom the world was made.' Every one must see that this is an unfounded assertion, inasmuch as the greater part of the narrative consists in a minute and orderly description of the manner in which things were made. We can know nothing as to the object of the account, except from the account itself. What the writer meant to state is just that which he has stated, for all that we can know to the contrary. Or can we seriously beleive that if appealed to by one of his Hebrew hearers or readers as to his intention, he would have replied, My only object in what I have written is to inform you that God made the world; as to the manner of His doing it, of which I have given so exact an account, I have no intention that my words should be taken in their literal meaning? We come then to this, that if we sift the Mosaic narrative of all definite meaning, and only allow it to be the expression of the most vague generalities, if we avow that it admits of no certain interpretation, of none that may not be shifted and altered as often as we see fit, and as the exigencies of geology may require, then may we reconcile it with what science teaches. This mode of dealing with the subject has been broadly advocated by a recent writer of mathematical eminence, who adopts the Bucklandian hypothesis, a passage from whose work we shall quote.

• 和訳お願い致します。

Hugh Miller will be admitted by many as a competent witness to the untenability of the theory of Chalmers and Buckland on mere geological grounds. He had, indeed, a theory of his own to propose, which we shall presently consider; but we may take his word that it was not without the compulsion of what he considered irresistible evidence that he relinquished a view which would have saved him infinite time and labour, could he have adhered to it.

• 英語の和訳

この英文の和訳教えてください(>_<) ↓ ↓ Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He realized his father was very old,and thought perhaps he should go to see him. He had not seen him since that graduation day. Before he could make arrangements,hereceived a telegram telling him his father had passed away,and willed all of his possessions to his son. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things. When he arrived at his father's house,sudden sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search through his father's important papers and saw the still new Bible,just as he had left it years ago. With tears,he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages. And as he did, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible. It had a tag with the dealer's name,the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag were the date of his graduation and the words PAID IN FULL.

• 詩の和訳をお願いします。

少々長いのですが、以下の和訳をお願いします。 翻訳サイトも試みましたが、いまいちピンと来なかったので…。 "It Couldn't Be Done" Somebody said that it couldn't be done, but he with a chuckle replied, that "maybe it couldn't"but he would be one who wouldn't say so till he tried. so he buckled right in with the trace of a grin on his face. If he worried he hid in,he started to sing as he tackled the thing that couldn't be done and he did it. Somebody scoffed:"Oh,you'll never do that;at least no one has ever done it" But he took off his coat and he took off his hat. And the first thing we know he'd begun it. With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin without any doubting or stopping he started to sing as he tackled the thing that couldn't be done and he did it. There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done, There are thousands to prophesy failure; There are thousands to point out to you one by one, The dangers that wait to assail you. But just buckle in with a bit of a grin, Just take off your coat and go to it. Just start in to sing as you tackle the thing That"cannot be done"and you'll do it. 以上よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の和訳

1Christians believed in one God, a God whose laws were to be obeyed by the sun and stars as well as by men. 2There are a lot of Japanese who do not feel comfortable about taking time off while their fellow workers have to continue working. 3“To make the difference” is an expression that always has a positive meaning in English. If a man tells his wife, for example, that marrying her has made all the difference, he's saying that he's very happy he married her. 例えば…の例が分かりませんでした。 4In our dreams we all aspire to be, do and have great things. Yet most of us simply aren't creating the results we want. What we need to understand is that greatness exists in all of us, but it is up to us to put it out of ourselves. It is true that we all have genius. We just need to learn how to apply our genius. 1行目とWhat~が良く分かりません。

• 英文和訳

And should we defeat every enemy, and should we double our wealth and conquer the stars, and still be unequal to this issue, then we will have failed as a people and as a nation. For, with a country as with a person, "what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" There is no Negro problem. There is no Southern problem. There is no Northern problem. There is only an American problem.This was the first nation in the history of the world to be founded with a purpose. The great phrases of that purpose still sound in every American heart, North and South: "All men are created equal." "Government by consent of the governed." "Give me liberty or give me death." And those are not just clever words, and those are not just empty theories. In their name Americans have fought and died for two centuries and tonight around the world they stand there as guardians of our liberty risking their lives. Those words are promised to every citizen that he shall share in the dignity of man. This dignity cannot be found in a man's possessions. It cannot be found in his power or in his position. It really rests on his right to be treated as a man equal in opportunity to all others. It says that he shall share in freedom. He shall choose his leaders, educate his children, provide for his family according to his ability and his merits as a human being. To apply any other test, to deny a man his hopes because of his color or race or his religion or the place of his birth is not only to do injustice, it is to deny Americans and to dishonor the dead who gave their lives for American freedom. どなたかお願いします。