父が母について考えるとき

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 父は母を思い浮かべ、彼女の淑女らしさや自分が彼女を家族に紹介する際の誇りについて考える。
  • 彼らはまだ婚約しておらず、父はまだ母を愛しているかどうかわからないため、すでに築かれた絆に不安を感じることもある。
  • しかし、彼は自分が尊敬している偉大な人々が結婚していることを思い出すことで自分自身を安心させる。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳お願いします。

My father thinks of my mother, of how lady-like she is, and of the pride which will be his when he introduces her to his family. They are not yet engaged and he is not yet sure that he loves my mother, so that, once in a while, he becomes panicky about the bond already established. But then he reassures himself by thinking of the big men he admires who are married: William Randolph Hearst and William Howard Taft, who has just become the President of the United States.   My father arrives at my mother's house. He has come too early and so is suddenly embarrassed. My aunt, my mother's younger sister, answers the loud bell with her napkin in her hand, for the family is still at dinner. As my father enters, my grandfather rises from the table qnd shakes hands with him. My mother has run upstairs to tidy herself. My grandmother asks my father if he has had dinner and tells him that my mother will be down soon. My grandfather opens the conversation by remarking about the mild June weather. My father sits uncomfortably near the table, holding his hat in his hand. My grandmother tells my aunt to take my father's hat. My uncle, twelve years old, runs into the house, his hair tousled. He shouts a greeting to my father, who has often given him nickels, and then runs upstairs, as my grandmother shouts after him. It is evident that the respect in which my father is held in this house is tempered by a good deal of mirth. He is impressive, but also very awkward.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9728/12101)
回答No.1

父は、母のことについて、彼女がどれほど女性らしいか、彼女を家族に紹介する時の、彼の誇らしさについて考える。彼らはまだ婚約していないし、私の母を愛しているという確信が彼にはないので、それで時折彼はすでに結ばれている絆について不安に思ったりすることになる。しかしそういう時彼は、賞賛する既婚の偉人に自分自身をなぞらえてみる。すなわち、ウィリアム・ランドルフ・ハーストやウィリアム・ハワード・タフトで、彼らはつい最近米国の大統領になった人たちである。 父が母の家に到着する。彼はあまり早くに着いたので、突然当惑してしまう。家族はまだ夕食の最中なので、母の妹である叔母がナプキンを持ったままけたたましい呼び鈴に応える。父が入ってくると、祖父がテーブルから立ち上がって握手する。母は、身なりを整えるため二階へ駆け上がった。祖母が、父に夕食は済んだかどうかを尋ねたり、すぐ母が降りて来るからなどと伝えたりしている。祖父は、穏やかな6月の天候について触れたりしながら会話を始める。 父は帽子を手に持ったまま、不安そうな面持ちでテーブルの近くに座る。祖母が、父の帽子を受け取るよう叔母に言う。私の叔父、12歳が、髪をくしゃくしゃにしたまま家に駆け込む。後ろから祖母に呼びとめられると、彼は大声で父に挨拶し、二階へ駆け上がる。父はしばしば彼に5セント銅貨をあげていたのだ。この家の人が父に抱いていた尊敬の念が、そんなこんなの騒ぎで中和された、ということは明らかだ。彼は、印象的な人ではあるけれども、同時にまた、とてもぎこちないのである。

mangifera
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いします。

Finally my mother comes downstairs and my father, being at the moment engaged in conversation with my grandfather, is made uneasy by her entrance, for he does not know whether to greet my mother or to continue the conversation. He gets up from his chair clumsily and says "Hello" gruffly. My grandfather watches this, examining their congruence, such as it is, with a critical eye, and meanwhile rubbing his bearded cheek roughly, as he always does when he reasons. He is worried; he is afraid that my father will not make a good husband for his oldest daughter. At this point something happens to the film, just as my father says something funny to my mother: I am awakened to myself and my unhappiness just as my interest has become most intense. The audience begins to clap impatiently. Then the trouble is attended to, but the film has been returned to a portion just shown, and once more I see my grandfather rubbing his bearded cheek, pondering my father's character. It is difficult to get back into the picture once more and forget myself, but as my mother giggles at my father's words, the darkness drowns me. My father and mother depart from the house, my father shaking hands with my grandfather once more, out of some unknown uneasiness. I stir uneasily also, slouched in the hard chair'of the theatre. Where is the older uncle, my mother's older brother? He is studying in his bedroom upstairs, studying for his final examinations at the College of the City of New York, having been dead of double pneumonia for the last twenty-one years. mother and father walk down the same quiet streets once more. My mot is holding my father's arm and telling him of the novel she has been read and my father utters judgments of the characters as the plot is made clea~ him. This is a habit which he very much enjoys, for he feels the utm superiority and confidence when he is approving or condemning the beh ior of other people. At times he feels moved to utter a brief "Ugh," whene the story becomes what he would call sugary. This tribute is the assertion his manliness. My mother feels satisfied by the interest she has awaken and she is showing my father how intelligent she is and how interesting.

• flew her out

My father began dating four years after my mother passed away from a terrible bout with cancer. He and I have always been close; in fact, I have always considered him to be one of my best friends. But since he started dating he has changed. I just traveled across the country for a family funeral and discovered that he has a new love in his life, and that he flew her out to see all of our extended family. My dying grandmother got to meet her, but I didn't even know her name! flew her outはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、got toはcouldに置き換えられるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします。

But after a while I begin to take brief glimpses,and at length I watch again with thirsty interest, like a child who tries to maintain his sulk when he is offered the bribe of candy. My parents are now having their picture taken in a photographer's booth along the boardwalk. The place is shadowed in the mauve light which is apparently necessary. The camera is set to the side on its tripod and looks like a Martian man. The photographer is instructing my parents in how to pose. My father has his arm over my mother's shoulder and both of them smile emphatically. The photographer brings my mother a bouquet of flowers to hold in her hand, but she holds it at the wrong angle. Then the photographer covers himself with the black cloth which drapes the camera and all that one sees of him is one protruding arm and his hand with which he holds tightly to the rubber ball which he squeezes when the picture is taken. But he is not satisfied with their appearance. He feels that sonehow there is something wrong in their pose. Again and again he comes out from his hiding place with new directions. Each suggestion merely makes matters worse. My father is becoming impatient.They try a seated pose.The photographer explains that he has his pride, he wants to make beautiful pictures, he is not merely interested in all of this for the money. My father says: "Hurry up, will you? We haven't got all night." But the photographer only scurries about apologetically, issuing new directions. The photographer charms me, and I approve of him with all my heart, for I know exactly how he feels, and as he criticizes each revised pose according to some obscure idea of rightness, I become quite hopeful. But then my father says angrily: "Come on, you've had enough time, we're not going to wait any longer." And the photographer, sighing unhappily, goes back into the black covering, and holds out his hand, saying: "One, two, three, Now!," and the picture is taken, with my father's smile turned to a grimace and my mother's bright and false. It takes a few minutes for the picture to be developed and as my parents sit in the curious light they become depressed.

• 和訳お願いします。

They have passed a fortune-teller's booth and my mother wishes to go in, but my father does not. They begin to argue about it. My mother becomes stubborn, my father once more impatient. What my father would like to do now is walk off and leave my mother there, but he knows that that would never do. My mother refuses to budge. She is near tears, but she feels an uncontrollable desire to hear what the palm reader will say. My father consents angrily and they both go into the booth which is, in a way, like the photographer's, since it is draped in black cloth and its light is colored and shadowed. The place is too warm, and my father keeps saying that this is all nonsense, pointing to the crystal ball on the table. The fortune-teller, a short, fat woman garbed in robes supposedly exotic, comes into the room and greets them, speaking with an accent. But suddenly my father feels that the whole thing is intolerable; he tugs at my mother's arm but my mother refuses to budge. And then, in terrible anger, my father lets go of my mother's arm and strides out, leaving my mother stunned. She makes a movement as if to go after him, but the fortune-teller holds her and begs her not to do so, and I in my seat in the darkness am shocked and horrified.

• 和訳お願いします。

As their dinner goes on, my father tells of his plans for the future, and mother shows with expressive face how interested she is, and how impressed. My father becomes exultant, lifted up by the waltz that is being played, and his own future begins to intoxicate him. My father tells my mother that he is going to expand his business, for there is a great deal of money to be made. He wants to settle down. After all, he is twenty-nine, he has lived by himself since his thirteenth year, he is making more and more money, and he is envious of his friends when he visits them in the security of their homes, surrounded, it seems, by the calm domestic pleasures, and by delightful children, and then as the waltz reaches the moment when the dancers all swing madly,then, then with awful daring, then he asks my mother to marry him, although awlnvardly enough and puzzled as to how he had arrived at the question, and she, to make the whole business worse, begins to cry, and my father looks nervously about, not knowing at all what to do now, and my mother says, "It's all I've wanted from the first moment I saw you," sobbing, and he fin& all of this very difficult, scarcely to his taste, scarcely as he thought it would be, on his long walks over Brooklyn Bridge in the revery of a fine cigar, and it was then, at that point, that I stood up in the theatre and shouted: "Don't do it! It's not too late to change your minds, both of you. Nothing good will come of it, only remorse, hatred, scandal, and two children whose characters are monstrous." The whole audience turned to look at me, annoyed, the usher came hurrying down the aisle flashing his searchlight, and the old lad next to me tugged me down into my seat, saying: "Be quiet. You'll be put ou4 and you paid thirty-five cents'to come in." And so I shut my eyes becausex could not bear to see what was happening. I sat there quietly.

• よろしくお願いします

My mother died 10 years ago. My father, "Lucifer," started dating "Rebecca" within a week of my mom's funeral. After two years, my father informed me that he was going to disinherit my brother and me in favor of "Rebecca" and her three spawn. I begged my father not to do this, and told him he'd never see me or my kids again if he married her and disinherited us. He said he didn't care, and went ahead. Fast-forward to the present. Rebecca has died, and Lucifer is trying to "mend fences." Meanwhile, he admitted to me that he has spent my mother's entire trust on Rebecca and her three spawn, so I am out the money I was supposed to get from my deceased mother after my father died. 1 ここでのspawnはどのような意味でしょうか? 2 entire trustのtrustはどのような意味でしょうか? 3 out the moneyはどのような意味でしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My father has just collapsed from a cancer none of us knew he had. He is ailing, and my mother is absolutely freaking out. She has always had undiagnosed, untreated mental illnesses. Since his retirement, she has clung to my father. My sister is there trying to manage things while my father is in the hospital. ここでのMy sister is thereはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたに。 お願いできますでしょうか? 変な箇所があればご指摘いただけるとありがたいです。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 In the period before you meet he may have suffered some ill health. and conditions in his life have been uncertain and subject to frequent change and indecision on his part. He will have put emotional barriers up between himself and others in this period. Or else will feel he was imprisoned without walls, that circumstance have imprison him, he has a life that he seeks escape from. He is sensitive to atmospheres, unspoken hostilities His outer confidence will hide a feeling of weakness and helplessness. and falling in love with you may be a form of escape from the things in his life he is unhappy with. Love will provide him with a kind of liberty, freedom, while he is tied to the limitations and responsibilities of his former existence.

• 和訳お願いします

Shocked to hear that his friend was waiting for a heart transplant,Robert Test decided to become an organ donor. This is what he wrote about his decision. At a certain moment,a doctor will decide that my brain has stopped functioning. When that happens, do not attempt to revive my body by the use of a machine. Give my eyes to a man who has never seen a sunrise,a baby's face, or love in the eyes of a woman. Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused him nothing but days of endless pain. Give my blood to a teenager who was seriously injured in a traffic accident,so that he or she might live and see his or her grandchildren playing.

• 和訳を希望

英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 意訳でもかまいません。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Mars is the planet of masculinity, strength. power and passion. You had Mars in Scorpio at birth. This shows things about your future partner and what he seeks. That at the bottom of him your future husband wants a woman who is dignified and reserved and who exudes a mysterious dark power. His desires and passions are very strong. He likes sexual conquest and dominance. He may not show his feelings openly, so you may be uncertain of his love, insecure and too willing, too afraid of losing him, so that you do anything for him and are too yielding, lost under the power of his total attraction. If you are too yielding he will not treat you well. He seeks a woman who is ambitious, intellectual, independent and strongly, irresistible and who has a sense of glamour and reserve and hidden sensuality and spirituality about her. Someone alluring, elusive, who he feels he has never quite conquered..