A Moment of Uneasiness and Uncertainty

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Finally, my mother's entrance creates uneasiness for my father, who is unsure whether to greet her or continue his conversation with my grandfather. Her arrival prompts him to awkwardly say hello, while my grandfather observes their interaction with concern about my father's suitability as a husband. Just as the tension builds, something interrupts the film and I become aware of my own unhappiness. The audience grows impatient, but eventually the film resumes, and I see my grandfather contemplating my father's character. Despite the difficulty of immersing myself again, the darkness surrounds me as my mother giggles at my father's words.
  • After my parents leave the house, my father shakes hands with my grandfather once more, displaying a sense of uneasiness. Meanwhile, I continue to feel restless in the uncomfortable theater chair. The absence of my mother's older brother, who passed away many years ago, is also noted. As my parents walk through the quiet streets, my mother holds my father's arm and shares details about a novel she has been reading. My father provides his judgment on the characters and expresses his disapproval when the story becomes too sentimental, demonstrating his sense of superiority. My mother, on the other hand, takes satisfaction in showcasing her intelligence and captivating nature.
  • In this moment, the clash between my mother's entrance and my father's conversation creates tension and uncertainty. My grandfather's concern about my father's suitability as a husband adds to the uneasiness. Interruptions in the film temporarily distract me from the intense emotions, but the darkness brings me back. As my parents leave the house, my father's discomfort persists, and I feel restless in the theater chair. The absence of my mother's deceased older brother is a reminder of loss. Their walk through the quiet streets becomes an opportunity for my mother to share her interest in a novel and for my father to assert his judgment on the characters. While my father seeks to appear manly and superior, my mother finds satisfaction in displaying her intelligence and captivating nature.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳お願いします。

Finally my mother comes downstairs and my father, being at the moment engaged in conversation with my grandfather, is made uneasy by her entrance, for he does not know whether to greet my mother or to continue the conversation. He gets up from his chair clumsily and says "Hello" gruffly. My grandfather watches this, examining their congruence, such as it is, with a critical eye, and meanwhile rubbing his bearded cheek roughly, as he always does when he reasons. He is worried; he is afraid that my father will not make a good husband for his oldest daughter. At this point something happens to the film, just as my father says something funny to my mother: I am awakened to myself and my unhappiness just as my interest has become most intense. The audience begins to clap impatiently. Then the trouble is attended to, but the film has been returned to a portion just shown, and once more I see my grandfather rubbing his bearded cheek, pondering my father's character. It is difficult to get back into the picture once more and forget myself, but as my mother giggles at my father's words, the darkness drowns me. My father and mother depart from the house, my father shaking hands with my grandfather once more, out of some unknown uneasiness. I stir uneasily also, slouched in the hard chair'of the theatre. Where is the older uncle, my mother's older brother? He is studying in his bedroom upstairs, studying for his final examinations at the College of the City of New York, having been dead of double pneumonia for the last twenty-one years. mother and father walk down the same quiet streets once more. My mot is holding my father's arm and telling him of the novel she has been read and my father utters judgments of the characters as the plot is made clea~ him. This is a habit which he very much enjoys, for he feels the utm superiority and confidence when he is approving or condemning the beh ior of other people. At times he feels moved to utter a brief "Ugh," whene the story becomes what he would call sugary. This tribute is the assertion his manliness. My mother feels satisfied by the interest she has awaken and she is showing my father how intelligent she is and how interesting.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9668/12016)
回答No.2

何度も恐縮です。読み直しをしてみました。訳文が分かりづらいですね! もともとの原文からして分かりづらいのでやむを得ないところもあると思いますが、語句だけは少し改善できましたので、再添付いたします。 ついに母が階下に降りて来たが、祖父との会話にはまり込んでいた父は、母に挨拶すべきか、会話を続けるべきかを計りかね、彼女の登場によって不安げになる。モゾモゾと椅子から立ち上がり、素っ気なく「こんにちは」を言う。祖父はこれを観察する。大したことではないが、批判的な目をもって彼らの相性を調べているのだ。その際、彼は、考え事をする時いつもそうするように、ひげ面の頬をゴシゴシしごく。 彼は心配なのだ。自分の一番年上の娘にとって、私の父がよい夫にならないのではないかと心配しているのだ。この時、父がおかしなことを母に言ったものだから、映画の情景に変化が起こる。私の興味が最高潮に達すると、ちょうどそこで自分自身や自分の不幸に気づくのです。観客は、もどかしくなって手拍子を始める。それで問題が注目されるけれども、映画の情景はまさに観賞済みの部分を繰り返す。私は再び、父の性格について思い巡らす祖父がひげ面の頬をゴシゴシしごくのを見る。再度映像を元に戻すのが難しいので、私はもがくのだが、母が父の言葉を聞いてくすくす笑う場面で私は暗闇の中に引き込まれてしまう。 父は、漠然とした不安からまた祖父と握手を交し、母とともに家を出る。私はまた不安になって体を動かし、劇場の固い椅子にうずくまる。年上の伯父、つまり、母の兄はどこだ? 彼は、二階にある自分の寝室で、ニューヨーク市立大学の最終試験の勉強をしている。彼は、この21年間ずっと両側の肺炎で、死んだも同然なのだ。母と父は、またあの静かな通りを歩いて遠ざかっていく。 母が、父と腕を組み、かつて読んだ小説のことを話すと、その筋書きがはっきりしてくるのに応じて彼も登場人物の判断を口にする。これは彼にとって大変楽しい習慣なのである。というのも、彼は他人の行動を是認したり非難したりする時、この上ない優越感と自信を感じるのである。時々彼は、物語が甘っちょろいなと言いたくなるような場面になると、感極まって「ウヘッ!」などと口走る。この言辞は彼の男らしさの主張なのである。母は母で、父に興味を引き起こさせたことや、自分がいかに聡明で面白い存在であるかを示せたことに、満足を感じているのだ。 以上、再伸まで。(これから、次の質問文の「解読」に移ります。)

mangifera
質問者

お礼

いつも本当にありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9668/12016)
回答No.1

ついに母が階下に来たが、祖父との会話にはまり込んでいる父は、母に挨拶すべきか、会話を続けるべきかを計りかねて、彼女の登場がもとでぎこちない感じになる。もそもそと椅子から立ち上がり、素っ気なく「こんにちは」を言う。祖父はこれを観察する。大したことではないが、批判的な目をもって彼らの相性を調べる。その間彼は、考え事をする時いつもするように、ひげ面の頬をゴシゴシしごくのだ。 彼は心配しているのだ。自分の一番年上の娘にとって、私の父がよい夫にはならないのではないかと心配している。この時、父がおかしなことを母に言ったものだから映画の情景に変化が起こる。私の興味が最高潮に達すると、ちょうどそこで自分自身や自分の不幸に気づくのです。観客は、もどかしくなって手拍子を始める。それで問題が注目されるけれども、映画の情景はまさに観賞済みの部分が繰り返されて、私は再び、父の性格について思い巡らす祖父が、ひげ面の頬をゴシゴシしごくのを見る。再度映像を元に戻すのが難しいので私はもがくのだが、母が父の言葉を聞いてくすくす笑う場面で、私は暗闇の中につかり込んでしまう。 父は、漠然とした不安から、また祖父と握手を交し、母とともに家を出る。私はまた不安になって動き、劇場のかたい椅子にうずくまる。年上の伯父、つまり、母の兄はどこだ? 彼は、二階にある自分の寝室で、ニューヨークの市立大学の最終試験の勉強をしている。彼は、この21年間ずっと、両側の肺炎で死んだも同然なのだ。母と父は、またまたあの静かな通りを歩いて遠ざかっていく。 母が、父と腕を組んでかつて読んだ小説のことを話すと、彼もその筋書きがはっきりしてくるのに応じて、登場人物の判断を口にする。このことは彼にとっては大変楽しい習慣なのである。というのも、彼は他人の行動を是認したり非難したりする時にこの上ない優越感と自信を感じるのである。時々彼は、物語が甘っちょろいなと言いたくなるような場面になると、感極まって「ウヘッ!」などと口走る。この言辞は彼の男らしさの主張なのである。母は、彼女が、興味を引き起こしたことや自分がいかに聡明で面白い存在であるかを父に示せたことに満足を感じる。 *特に最後の方に誤植と思しきところが数か所ありましたので、推測で訳しました。(誤訳があるかも知れませんが、その節はどうぞ悪しからず。)

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いします。

My father thinks of my mother, of how lady-like she is, and of the pride which will be his when he introduces her to his family. They are not yet engaged and he is not yet sure that he loves my mother, so that, once in a while, he becomes panicky about the bond already established. But then he reassures himself by thinking of the big men he admires who are married: William Randolph Hearst and William Howard Taft, who has just become the President of the United States.   My father arrives at my mother's house. He has come too early and so is suddenly embarrassed. My aunt, my mother's younger sister, answers the loud bell with her napkin in her hand, for the family is still at dinner. As my father enters, my grandfather rises from the table qnd shakes hands with him. My mother has run upstairs to tidy herself. My grandmother asks my father if he has had dinner and tells him that my mother will be down soon. My grandfather opens the conversation by remarking about the mild June weather. My father sits uncomfortably near the table, holding his hat in his hand. My grandmother tells my aunt to take my father's hat. My uncle, twelve years old, runs into the house, his hair tousled. He shouts a greeting to my father, who has often given him nickels, and then runs upstairs, as my grandmother shouts after him. It is evident that the respect in which my father is held in this house is tempered by a good deal of mirth. He is impressive, but also very awkward.

• 和訳お願いします。

They have passed a fortune-teller's booth and my mother wishes to go in, but my father does not. They begin to argue about it. My mother becomes stubborn, my father once more impatient. What my father would like to do now is walk off and leave my mother there, but he knows that that would never do. My mother refuses to budge. She is near tears, but she feels an uncontrollable desire to hear what the palm reader will say. My father consents angrily and they both go into the booth which is, in a way, like the photographer's, since it is draped in black cloth and its light is colored and shadowed. The place is too warm, and my father keeps saying that this is all nonsense, pointing to the crystal ball on the table. The fortune-teller, a short, fat woman garbed in robes supposedly exotic, comes into the room and greets them, speaking with an accent. But suddenly my father feels that the whole thing is intolerable; he tugs at my mother's arm but my mother refuses to budge. And then, in terrible anger, my father lets go of my mother's arm and strides out, leaving my mother stunned. She makes a movement as if to go after him, but the fortune-teller holds her and begs her not to do so, and I in my seat in the darkness am shocked and horrified.

• 和訳お願いします。

As their dinner goes on, my father tells of his plans for the future, and mother shows with expressive face how interested she is, and how impressed. My father becomes exultant, lifted up by the waltz that is being played, and his own future begins to intoxicate him. My father tells my mother that he is going to expand his business, for there is a great deal of money to be made. He wants to settle down. After all, he is twenty-nine, he has lived by himself since his thirteenth year, he is making more and more money, and he is envious of his friends when he visits them in the security of their homes, surrounded, it seems, by the calm domestic pleasures, and by delightful children, and then as the waltz reaches the moment when the dancers all swing madly,then, then with awful daring, then he asks my mother to marry him, although awlnvardly enough and puzzled as to how he had arrived at the question, and she, to make the whole business worse, begins to cry, and my father looks nervously about, not knowing at all what to do now, and my mother says, "It's all I've wanted from the first moment I saw you," sobbing, and he fin& all of this very difficult, scarcely to his taste, scarcely as he thought it would be, on his long walks over Brooklyn Bridge in the revery of a fine cigar, and it was then, at that point, that I stood up in the theatre and shouted: "Don't do it! It's not too late to change your minds, both of you. Nothing good will come of it, only remorse, hatred, scandal, and two children whose characters are monstrous." The whole audience turned to look at me, annoyed, the usher came hurrying down the aisle flashing his searchlight, and the old lad next to me tugged me down into my seat, saying: "Be quiet. You'll be put ou4 and you paid thirty-five cents'to come in." And so I shut my eyes becausex could not bear to see what was happening. I sat there quietly.

• 和訳お願いします。

But after a while I begin to take brief glimpses,and at length I watch again with thirsty interest, like a child who tries to maintain his sulk when he is offered the bribe of candy. My parents are now having their picture taken in a photographer's booth along the boardwalk. The place is shadowed in the mauve light which is apparently necessary. The camera is set to the side on its tripod and looks like a Martian man. The photographer is instructing my parents in how to pose. My father has his arm over my mother's shoulder and both of them smile emphatically. The photographer brings my mother a bouquet of flowers to hold in her hand, but she holds it at the wrong angle. Then the photographer covers himself with the black cloth which drapes the camera and all that one sees of him is one protruding arm and his hand with which he holds tightly to the rubber ball which he squeezes when the picture is taken. But he is not satisfied with their appearance. He feels that sonehow there is something wrong in their pose. Again and again he comes out from his hiding place with new directions. Each suggestion merely makes matters worse. My father is becoming impatient.They try a seated pose.The photographer explains that he has his pride, he wants to make beautiful pictures, he is not merely interested in all of this for the money. My father says: "Hurry up, will you? We haven't got all night." But the photographer only scurries about apologetically, issuing new directions. The photographer charms me, and I approve of him with all my heart, for I know exactly how he feels, and as he criticizes each revised pose according to some obscure idea of rightness, I become quite hopeful. But then my father says angrily: "Come on, you've had enough time, we're not going to wait any longer." And the photographer, sighing unhappily, goes back into the black covering, and holds out his hand, saying: "One, two, three, Now!," and the picture is taken, with my father's smile turned to a grimace and my mother's bright and false. It takes a few minutes for the picture to be developed and as my parents sit in the curious light they become depressed.

• 和訳して下さい

Hamlet was naturally very upset by what he had done to Ponius. After all,the young prince was at heart a kind and gentle person. But he had more important things on his mind. He dropped his bloody sword and began admonishing his mother once again.He held up two drawings in front of her. One was of the late king,his father.The other was of Claudius.“Mother,"placeed Hamlet,“can't you see the difference? You must be able to see what a good man my father was,and what a villain your new husband is!" But at that moment,the old ghost reappeared out of nowhere.“Hamlet,"it said in the same eerie voice,“have you forgotten that you gave me your word? Why are you causing your mother so much agony? And why are you still hesitating? Get on with it!" Hamlet started to explain himself,but the ghost vanished as quickly as it had appeared.

• よろしくお願いします

My father has just collapsed from a cancer none of us knew he had. He is ailing, and my mother is absolutely freaking out. She has always had undiagnosed, untreated mental illnesses. Since his retirement, she has clung to my father. My sister is there trying to manage things while my father is in the hospital. ここでのMy sister is thereはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします

和訳お願いします I flew downstairs and turned around as if on a stage,posing and smiling,modeling my new coat for my father who was paying attention to me and telling me how pretty I looked. then he said he wanted me to model the hat,too. “No,Daddy,I just want to show you the coat. Just look at the coat on me!” I said,still swimming around the hallway and trying to avoid the subject of the missing hat. I knew the hat was history. He was giggling,and I thought I was cute and loved because he was laughing and playing with me. We went around a couple times about the hat,and in the middle of his laugh,he slapped me. He slapped me hard on the face, and I didn't understand why. At the sharp sound of his hand on my face,my mother shouted,“Mike! What are you doing! What are you doing ! ”She was breathless and surprised. His anger pierced both my mother and me. I just stood there holding my hand to my burning cheek,crying. And then he took my new hat out of his coat pocket.

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

I was doing some last-minute Christmas shopping in a toy store and decided to look at Barbie dolls for my nieces. A nicely dressed little girl was excitedly looking through the Barbie dolls as well, with a roll of money clamped tightly in her little hand. When she came upon a Barbie she liked, she would turn and ask her father if she had enough money to buy it. He usually said "yes," but she would keep looking and keep going through their ritual of "do I have enough?"  As she was looking, a little boy wandered in across the aisle and started sorting through the Pokemon toys. He was dressed neatly, but in clothes that were obviously rather worn, and wearing a jacket that was probably a couple of sizes too small. He too had money in his hand, but it looked to be no more than five dollars or so at the most. He was with his father as well, and kept picking up the Pokemon video toys. Each time he picked one up and looked at his father, his father shook his head,"no".

• 和訳お願いします。

My father and mother go to the rail of the boardwalk and look down I the beach where a good many bathers are casually walking about. A few s in the surf. A peanut whistle pierces the air with its pleasant and active whine, and my father goes to buy peanuts. My mother remains at the rail and stares at the ocean. The ocean seems merry to her; it pointedly sparkles and again and again the pony waves are released. She notices the children digging in the wet sand, and the bathing costumes of the girls who are her own age. My father returns with the peanuts. Overhead the sun's lightnil strikes and strikes, but neither of them are at all aware of it. The boardwalk is full of people dressed in their Sunday clothes and casually strolling. The tide does not reach as far as the boardwalk, and the strollers would feel no danger if it did. My father and mother lean on the rail of the boardwalk and absently stare at the ocean. The ocean is becoming rough; the waves come in slowly, tugging strength from far back. The moment before they somersault, the moment when they arch their backs so beautifully, showing white veins in the green and black, that moment is intolerable. They finally crack, dashing fiercely upon the sand, actually driving, full force downward, against it, bouncing upward and forward, and at last petering out into a small stream of bubbles which slides up the beach and then is recalled. The sun overhead does not disturb my father and my mother. They gaze idly at the ocean, scarcely interested in its harshness. But I stare at the terrible sun which breaks up sight, and the fatal merciless passionate ocean. I forget my parents. I stare fascinated, and finally, shocked by their indifference, I burst out weeping once more. The old lady next to me pats my shoulder and says "There, there, young man, all of this is only a movie, only a movie," but I look up once more at the terrifying sun and the terrifying ocean, and being unable to control my tears I get up and go to the men's room, stumbling over the feet of the other people seated in my row.

• 和訳お願いします。

I feel as if I were walking a tightrope one hundred feet over a circus audience and suddenly the rope is showing signs of breaking, and I get up from my seat and begin to shout once more the first words I can think of to communicate my terrible fear, and once more the usher comes hurrying down the aisle flashing his searchlight, and the old lady pleads with me, and the shocked audience has turned to stare at me, and I keep shouting: "What are they doing? Don't they know what they are doing? Why doesn't my mother go after my father and beg him not to be angry? If she does not do that, what will she do? Doesn't my father know what he is doing?" But the usher has seized my arm, and is dragging me away, and as he does so, he says: "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't do things like this, you can't do whatever you want to do,even if other people aren't about?You will be sorry if you don't do what you should do.You can't carry on like this,it isn't right,you will find that out soon enough,everything you do matters too much,''and as he said that,dragging me through the lobby of the theater into the cold light,I woke up into the bleak winter morning of my twenty-first birthday,the window-sill with its lip of snow,and the morning already begun.