Wellington: A City Worth Listening To

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Discover the vibrant city of Wellington, where the sounds of nature and the talented buskers create a unique atmosphere.
  • Experience the joy and humor injected by train staff into the everyday commute of passengers, bringing smiles to everyone's faces.
  • Explore the essence of Wellington's charm through the words and experiences shared in the essay 'Listen up' from the past issues of Weekly ST.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Seeing の文がわかりません。

Wellington is a great example of a city that deserves to be listened to. From the calls of the native birds to the talented one-man-band buskers, it's not all uncomfortable noise. Then there's the train company whose staff like to inject a bit of personality and humor into the dreary everyday commute of passengers. "It's Friday everyone! Yaaaaay!" announced one station attendant joyously over the loudspeakers one morning. Seeing everyone's faces erupt into uncontrollable smiles as they boarded their train was priceless. 週刊STの過去エッセイ"Listen up"から抜粋し、パラグラフ一つだけ貼り付けました。 Seeingの文だけ構造がわかりません。 どなたか解説をお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

Seeing everyone's faces erupt into uncontrollable smiles as they boarded their train までが主語、「~見ることは」 was priceless「大変貴重だった」 seeing ~でこのように長い動名詞句となっています。 Speaking English fluently is difficult. 流暢に英語を話すことは難しい。 こういう英語を見ればわかるように、~ing というのは一語で名詞というのではなく、 see O M という動詞 see の結びつきを保ったまま、ing がついて、 全体として名詞の役割を果たします。 ここでは see という動詞については see O 原形(erupt)という構造で、 「O が~するのを見る」となり、さらに as 節「~する時」が erupt という動詞 (see ~全体と言えなくもありません)を修飾しています。 電車に乗り込む時、皆の顔が抑えきれない笑顔へと変わっていくのを見る」ことは~

joy1995
質問者

お礼

Winddさん、いつも回答ありがとうございます。 こういう頭でっかちの動名詞句は、なぜ仮主語で書かないのかなあと思いました。でも伝えたい意味が変わってしまうのでしょうね。 頂いた説明とてもよくわかりました!

その他の回答 (1)

• Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.1

seeingは動名詞でしょう。 乗車する時に皆さんが止めようもなくほほ笑むのをみることは、価値を決められないほどに貴重でした。

joy1995
質問者

お礼

回答いつもありがとうございます。 動名詞で始まる長い主語なのですね。 とても参考になりました。

関連するQ&A

• 自然な文を教えてください。

(1)The last thing she wanted was to get into a heaving swaying train. 「彼女は上下前後に大きく揺れる列車に乗りたくなかった。」 (1)の文の a heaving swaying trainの部分ですが、 (2) a train swaying heavily とか a train shaking heavilyとかにしたらよくないですか?heavingになじまなくて、困っています。 教えてください。

• is seeing

NHKからの抜粋です Eastern Ukraine is seeing a fresh resurgence in fighting, despite the ceasefire agreement. 的確に対応する日本語記事は無かったです。 「停戦合意があるにもかかわらず、ウクライナ東部地方では戦闘が続いている」と言いたいようです。 知覚動詞は現在進行形にならない、と習いました。 しかし、私の年代物の文法書をみると、幾つかの例外があります。 seeが「見物する」「会う」などの意味のときは進行形になる。 They were seeing the sights of London. (彼らはロンドンの名所を見物していた) The doctor is seeing someone else at the moment. (先生はただいまほかの方を診察中です) I will see her soon. という未来時制だと,「近いうちに彼女に会います」という話し手の意志を表すが, I will be seeing her soon. という未来進行形にすると,「近いうちに彼女に会うことになるだろう」という成り行きを表す。 知覚や心の働きを表す動詞でも,意志のある動作を表すときは進行形になる。また,一時的な現象・活動[-≫p.428]や非難〔-p. 425〕などを表すとき進行形になるものもある。 The tourists are seeing the sights of Hongkong・ (観光客は香港を見物している)〔意志のある動作〕 I'm thinking of a trip to Taiwan.〔一時的〕 (台湾へ旅行に行こうと思っています) You are always doubting my word.〔非難〕 (君は私の言うことを疑ってばかりいる) あまり載せると不穏当になるので、これで打ち止めにします。しかし、この中に適合する例外が無いようです。 全文です Russia, Ukraine agree to withdraw heavy weaponry - News - NHK WORLD - English Russia and Ukraine have agreed to withdraw heavy weapons from security zones between pro-Russian separatists and Ukraine's government forces. Foreign ministers from both sides reached the agreement during a three-hour-meeting with their French and German counterparts in Berlin on Wednesday. They discussed the escalating situation in eastern Ukraine. Four people died in gunfire in the Luhansk region on Wednesday following fierce fighting near a strategically important airport in neighboring Donetsk. The ministers later released a joint statement calling on government forces and separatists to pull back heavy weapons from the ceasefire line drawn last September. Eastern Ukraine *is seeing* a fresh resurgence in fighting, despite the ceasefire agreement. German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier praised the agreement, saying tangible progress was made. But he says it remains to be seen if it will be implemented.

• To see is to believe は Seeing to believingと違う?

不定詞は未来のことを述べ動名詞は過去のことをのべるのでこの二つの意味は違うと友人が言うのですが。。。 To see is to believe. Seeing is believing 学校文法では同じと習いましたが。。違うのでしょうか?Seeing の方が、過去の意味でTo se... はこれからの未来のことを述べるからと言われました。 また The Upper House of Parliament has enackted a controversial bill to revise the 1947 Fundamental Law of Education. の質問 What was a top priority for Mr. Abe?に答えはRevising the Fundamental Law of Education was. となっていました。 私はTo revisethe 1947 Fundamental Law of Education. と思ったのですが、友人が過去の質問だからRevising.... ガ、正しくて、to revise...は未来のことを述べるときに使うと言いました。本当でしょうか?

• これらの文の文構造について

(1) To be a member of society one has to learn certain skills. 社会の一員であるためには何かある技術を身につけなければならない この文の構造は To be a member of society:不定詞の副詞的用法 one:一般の人を表す で、本来なら One has to learn certain skills to be a member of society. のところを副詞を強調するため(?)に文頭にだしたということでいいんでしょうか? (2)The + 比較級~, the + 比較級 The more skills one masters,the greater contribution one can make to society. 多くの技術を習得すればするほど、社会に対して大きな貢献をすることが出来る これはよくわかりませんが元が One masters skills. One can make contribution to society. こんな感じで、それにThe 比較級を付けた感じでしょうか? それならばなぜskillsやcontributionがoneの前に来るのでしょうか? The more one masters skills,the greater one can make contribution to society. はおかしな英文なんでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• intoについて

I've been seeing a guy for about three months and it's been going really well. This morning when we woke up, I tried to initiate sex and he wasn't into it. ここでのintoは「夢中になって」ではないですよね?intoはup toと入れ替えられるでしょうか?同意でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 会話文をどうしても訳すことが出来ず困っています。

ピーターさん「So, Chad, look, is this more than just simply about people uploading videos of themselves making idiots of themselves at parties or is something really quite profound going on here, about people engaging the world in a new way?」 チャドさん「Yeah, I know, it's- it's changing the world because it's giving everyone a voice. Um, and we've been able to be successful because we've built a platform to make that possible. And we weren't filtering, uh, you know, what was entertaining, uh, for our audience. We let our audience define what was entertaining to them. So, by having a platform where videos can come in, by them viewing/interacting with these videos, they'll rise to the top.」 ピーターさん「Now one of the people we couldn't put on the panel today just for numbers was Jimmy Wales who's here, Jimmy are you in the hall? No, well Jimmy, uh, started something called Wikipedia. Um, and now here's something that, you know, I'm an old Britannica junkie. I still have my 1974 edition Macropedia, Micropedia in the basement and I still love it. But my son, he doesn't know from Macropedia, Britannica, it's Wikipedia. Now I use Wikipedia all the time. Wikipedia's changing the world. It's the universal distribution of knowledge accessible to everybody from the bottom up. But it's an instantaneously, constantly created source of knowledge. So I'm speaking here for Jimmy, but I seem to think that this is another dimension of this when you say voice. And it's the voice of knowledge and the distribution of knowledge enabling people to do new things.」 この三つの会話文がどうしても理解できず,困っています。 誰かこれ読める方いらっしゃいましたらお教えくださいませ(m。_。)m

• この文の和訳お願いします!

この文の和訳お願いします! <(_ _)> In today's class, I learned everyone had his or her opinions. I thought each one was right and it was very important to exchange our own opinions through discussion. ( ) opinions helped me to find a new way of thinking. ( )の中にはsameかmyかnextかdifferentのどれかがはいるみたいですが、よくわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 文の構造と和訳

VOAの一節なんですが二行目の,and so characterizing以下が わかりません。どの部分が主語で訳はどうなりますか? それより前は「火星に行けるかは問題ではなくなった、いつ行くか 宇宙飛行士をどのようにして守るかが問題だ」というような意味だと思いますが... 火星探査のお話のインタヴューの部分なのですがどなたか教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。 I think it’s never really been a question of if we can go to Mars. It’s a matter of when we go, how do we best-protect our astronauts, and so characterizing the radiation environment in terms of the types of radiation that we observe and when it’s the worst and when we’d need to take precautionary measures, I think, is one of the things that we’re, we’re learning from RAD.

• 文構造を教えて下さい

To be a kokusaijin definitely does not mean that one belittles one's own country or constantly expresses admiration for some other country. It means that one is able to understand people in other countries, ※and with this understanding see the virtues and defects of one's own with an eventual aim of devoting one's efforts to making both one's own country and the rest of the world more decent places for human beings to live. ※あたりからの文の構造を教えていただけないでしょうか?      後半のmake O C やboth A and Bは理解しています。 よろしくお願いします。

• 会話文ですが和訳をお願いします!

会話文ですが和訳をお願いします! I don't necessarily have a type yet. I've dated all sorts of ethnic backgrounds, everyone from West Indian to Polish. It's not really like, to me, it's more a personality thing that gets me. I'm good talking, but I want someone else to shut me up and give me some proper feedback. I had one friend set me up before and it was a complete disaster, so the worse thing that could possibly happen with this date today would probably be if I ended up being related to her something, otherwise I'm pretty much open to anything at this point. ある男性の自己紹介です。 この後、ブラインドデートが行われるんですが、内容が把握できません… 長文ですが宜しくお願いしますm(_ _)m