• ベストアンサー

one for the other

動詞のconvinceとpersuadeの違いについて質問された回答が以下のとおりあります。 I don’t really think you’ll find much of a difference between the use of these two words, and so I wouldn’t worry about it. The differences in meaning that are possible are very small – which is probably why people use them now interchangeably – that is, one for the other. とありますが、最後のone for the otherの意味がわかりません。辞書にもありませんでした。 use Interchangeably 「区別しないで使う」というのを説明しているようなイディオムでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.3

people use them now interchangeably それら(convince と persuade の2語)を今では交換可能 ときて、that is「すなわち」です。 one(どちらか一方を)for the other(残りの1つの代わりに、交換して) 使うことができる。 2者について、one「いずれか1つ」、the other が「残りの1つ」 最初の1つは convince でも、persuade でもいい、順不同 というのがこの表現で、the one, the other とか、 the former, the latter のような「前者」「後者」とは違います。 「前者」「後者」としても言いたいことは同じですが。

maminc
質問者

お礼

wind-sky-windさん いつもありがとうございます。 one(どちらか一方を)for the other(残りの1つの代わりに、交換して) と説明してくださったので、さらに理解できました。 さらにおまけで説明を加えてくださり、質問してよかったと思ってます。 英語の文章をもっと読もうと思いました。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

• Tacosan
  • ベストアンサー率23% (3656/15482)
回答No.2

特に「イディオム」というほどのことはないと思うよ. use one for the other ならわかる?

maminc
質問者

お礼

Tacosanさん 回答をありがとうございました。 確かにイディオムとかまで考えることはなかったです。 useが前に付くとわかりやすいです。 ありがとうございました。

• qualheart
  • ベストアンサー率41% (1451/3486)
回答No.1

use Interchangeablyはおっしゃるとおり「区別しないで使う」という意味で良いと思います。 また、ここで言う「one for the other」 は「一方をもう一方の代わりに」という解釈で良いと思います。 ようはconvinceはpersuadeと同意で使えるし、persuadeもconvinceと同意で使える、ということを意味する「one for the other」ですね。 ご参考まで。

maminc
質問者

お礼

qualheartさん 早速の回答をありがとうございました。 簡単な単語が並んでるだけですが、どうしても頭に引っかかり質問させていただきました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• one is A otherについてお尋ねします。

1I'd like to have 30days worth of two types/kinds of sleeping pills(prescribed) .~ 2 I'd like to have two types/kinds of sleeping pills for 30 days prescribed .~ ~以降なのですがone is A and the other is Bと表す場合、両者複数形(ones are A and the the others are B )と表すべきなのでしょうか? また、他の表現があれば宜しくお願いします。

• for one thing~について

It is, for one thing, to bathe in the sun that people gather in sach spacious outdoor places.「人々がそんな広々とした屋外の場所に集まるのは、一つには日光浴をするためである。」 イディオムのfor one thing~「ひとつには~」の品詞は何でしょうか?副詞だとすれば上の構文はどうなっているのでしょうか?be to 不定詞なのですか?

• one or the otherは熟語?

one or the otherと入っている文章の意味がどうしてもつかめません。 その文は以下の(出てくるまで長いのですが)、一番最後のセンテンスにあります。 The melting pot metaphor became very common in the late 18th century, in the late 1700’s in the United States, and is still used today. It became especially popular in the 1970’s when the United States, having changed its immigration policy in the mid 1960’s, started to receive, again, a very large number of immigrants. The United States always had immigrants up to the early 20th century, but the immigration laws changed and for a period of, oh, about 40 years, there weren’t as many immigrants coming to the United States as there were in the late 19th century, early 20th century. Now, that situation changed again in the 60’s and by the 1970’s, we were getting more and more immigrants, immigrants not just from Europe where traditionally immigrants had come from, but also from Asia, from Africa, from Latin America. There was a movement in the United States, especially among some of the newer immigrants, to value the differences that people brought with them. This idea became known as “multiculturalism.” “Multi” means many. And the “multiculturalism” idea said people don’t have to change when they come to this country. There doesn’t have to be a melting pot. They can keep some of their original ideas and traditions. So, there are basically these two ideas about what should happen to immigrants, not just in the United States, but, of course, in any country. Those who advocated or said we should adopt a multicultural approach used a different metaphor, the metaphor of a mosaic. A “mosaic” (mosaic) is a kind of artwork that’s created by putting very small pieces of tile, ceramic or stone, possibly glass of different colors and when you look at it from a distance, it has a certain image. Other people use the metaphor of a salad bowl, where you had different elements together, but they all stayed separate in some way, they didn’t melt together, which is the correct metaphor. Well, that’s a continuing debate in the United States. Most people, I think, recognize that different cultures bring different gifts in their own traditions to the United States. People also recognize that in order to live as one country, we all have to share some ideas, some common vision. And exactly what the correct mix of those two are, is a constant topic of not only conversation among Americans, but also of policy, of what our government should do to encourage one or the other vision of the U.S. という以上の文章の最後の〝our government should do to encourage one or the other vision of the U.S.〟の one or the other というのは、 「どっちがどっちか 」「どれか一方[ひとつ] 」という熟語なのか、それとも to encourageの目的語の one と同じく to encourage の目的語のthe other vision of the U.S と、単にorでつながっているのか、 いずれにしろ最後の文章の意味がわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• one of these と one of the

Humans differ from other animals in many ways. One of these is that they are willing to engage in activities that are unpleasant in themselves but are means to the ends that they desire. 上の文を読んだときに One of these と言う箇所で私は ”Humansは人だからtheseでは受けないだろうけど、theseはanimalsかwaysのどちらを受けるのかな?” と思ったのですが、 参考書の解説を見ると、 もしhumans か animals を受けるならthemが使われます と書いてありました。 なぜそうなるのでしょうか?

• よろしくお願いします

My sister and I are raising our kids (all ages 8 to 11) just a couple of blocks apart from each other, so we see quite a lot of each other. This is exactly what we hoped for! How, practically, do we handle the very different sets of rules in our two homes? For example, my sister's husband, who is fairly religious, forbids swearing, and includes a lot of words many people wouldn't. Our rule at home is that we don't entertain any rules that are arbitrary, and "no swearing" is one of them. includes a lot of words many people wouldn'tのあとには何が略されていいるのでしょうか?あと、entertain any rules that are arbitraryはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• one of the things that is ~??

The guarantor system itself is one of the things that is making it difficult for foreigners to rent housing in Japan. 「保証人制度そのものが、外国人に住居を借りづらくさせている一因でもある。」 one of the things that ”is”ではなくて”are”でなけば駄目なのではないですか? 説明もなしにone of the thingsとだけ言われても”何の一つなの?”ってなるので、 関係代名詞thatは明らかにthingsにかかっていますよね?

• 教えてください

「私には後悔していることが二つあります。一つは・・・・でもう一つは・・・です。」 と言いたいのですが There are two things which I felt regret for . One is that 主語+動詞 .... The other is .... であっていますか?  教えてください。

• (231)For one fosters

QA231 For one fosters evil war and battle, being cruel: her no man loves; but perforce, through the will of the deathless gods, men pay harsh Strife her honour due. But the other is the elder daughter of dark Night, and the son of Cronos who sits above and dwells in the aether, set her in the roots of the earth: and she is far kinder to men. というのも、一方はone戦いや闘争を助長し、 残酷cruelであり、彼女を愛する人はいない。 しかし、不死の神々の意志により (due、herは倒置)      何んとなくperforce、人々はこの残酷な争いの神を讃える。 一方、もう一人の女神Nyxは暗い闇の神Nightの年上で    天上に坐し、お住まい給うクロノスの息子Zeusは 彼女を大地の始祖とし、set her in the root   彼女は(Erisより)人間にずっと優しい。 質問 (1) but perforceについて   試し訳は「しかし、何んとなく(讃える)」と理解しました。 これは正しいでしょうか。 辞書は「いやおうなしに」「当然のごとく」「必然的に」などがあります。    これは、どうも、ニュアンスが違うように感じます  (2)the other is the elder daughter of dark Nightについて     the other はNyxでよいと思います。     だから、NyxはNightのelder daughterとなる。       ところが、Nightが見当たりません。       次に、Caosの娘がNyx, Nyxの娘がEris(神統記)です。         Nyx とErisは親子となる。       そこで、Nightとはこの二人の女神のことで、         Nyxは「Erisより年上だ」という意味になるだろう。 すると、elder daughterは、単にelderの意味かも知れない。 *the other is the elder one of dark Night という文章かもしれない。この見方は、正しいでしょうか。

• 日本語訳をチェックしていただけますか

以下の英語の文章を、自分なりに訳してみたのですが、まったくわかりませんでした。 3時間以上かけて考えてもわからなかったので、どうか助けてください。 長くて申し訳ないのですが、よろしくお願いいたします。 In regarding these varying but related approaches to human relationships, people tend to sense that one or the other is the real dynamic. One man, on hearing my analysis of ways of talking tothe plumber, commented, "Wouldn't using solidarity be deceptive?" If, like many men, one believes that human relations are fundamentally hierarchical, then playing on connection rather than status amounts to "pretending" there is no status- in other words, being deceptive. But those who tend to regard connection as the basic dynamic operating between people see attempts to use status differences as manipulative and unfair. Both status and connection are ways of being involved with others and showing involvement with others, although those who are focused on one may not see the other as a means of involvement. Men are more often inclined to focus on the jockeying for status in a conversation: Is the other person trying to be one-up or put me down? Is he trying to establish a dominant position by getting me todo his bidding? Women are more often attuned to the negotiation of connections: Is the other person trying to get closer or pull away? Since both elements are always present, it is easy for women and men to focus on different elements in the same conversation.

• 「three to one」の意味

いつもお世話になっております。 早速ですが質問です。 文章: It is estimated that there are 900 million bicycles in use throughout the world, outnumbering the number of automobiles three to one 訳:. 世界中で9億台の自転車が使われていると推定されており、自動車台数の3倍を超える。 末尾の「three to one」をどのように訳すのかが、よく分かりませんでした。 ご教授願います。