• ベストアンサー

わからない英文があります

"The view from 900 feet above the city stretched all the way to the Pacific..so beautiful but I guess it should be for the estimated billion dollars it took to build." -I guess it should be for the estimated billion dollars it took to buildの"for"はなんのためにあるんでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数6
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.4

#3です。簡単な例を忘れていました。     X for Y と言う場合、 for の前の X と後の Y とが「等価」だという意味です。    例えば 「仕返し」という意味は、下記のように英語で tit for tat です。    http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=tit+for+tat    That book was a bargain for $3. その本が3ドルとは買い得だった。(本の価値=3ドル)    I got a room with a view of Mt. Fuji for 2,000 yen extra. 私の部屋は二千円高いが富士が見える。(富士山の眺め=2千円の差)    The beautiful view is for one billion dollars. 美しい景色の値段は10億ドル。(美しい景色=10億ドル)

その他の回答 (5)

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.6

This book is for you. Her second marriage is for money. She asks how much it is for, and he tells her it is for ten dollars. It should be for the estimated billion dollars it took to build. ↓ The view should be for billions of dollars that the city took to build.

yuriayuria
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.5

be 動詞を自動詞として使っているからです。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

下記の前置詞の1「~のために、~に対して」、あるいは2「~にふさわしい」でしょう。    http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=for    建造にかかった予想10億ドルの費用「に対して」は当然だろうが、    建造にかかった予想10億ドルの費用「にはふさわしい」だろうが、    とにかく10億ドルもかかったって噂だから(その代償として眺めがが奇麗で)あたり前ではあろうが

回答No.2

感覚としては通じますが、さまざまな構文が混乱した状態で使われています。 質問文にはありませんが、文末の build の後に the tower が続いているとして、文を作り変えてみます。 (1) it should take one billion dollars to build the tower (2) I should pay one billion dollars for the tower (3) to build the tower should be estimated at one billion dollars ※ (2)の for は交換の対価「…を引き換えに」 (3)の at は金額「…で」。意味がよく似ています。 ※ one をつけて「10億ドル」としましたが、「何10億ドルも」なら billions にします。その他の部分にもミスが多々ありますので、大した差はないかも知れませんが…。

yuriayuria
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

-I guess it should be IN CONSIDERATION OF the estimated billion dollars it took to build. -I guess it should be IN LIGHT OF the estimated billion dollars it took to build. -I guess it should be IN VIEW OF the estimated billion dollars it took to build. と置き換えるとわかりやすいかと思います。形容詞(adjective)として "for" を用いています。 [ご参考] http://thesaurus.com/browse/for (五段目)

yuriayuria
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• 英文

I belive it not responsible and fair to childrenand people should be carful. どう訳したらよいでしょうか? また I could not deal wwith it such a pressure. ~出来ない可能性があるとの訳でいいのでしょうか?

• 以下の英文を和訳してください。

(1)It will be fun for us to play tennis together. (2)It was very kind of you to say so. (3)I insisted that I should pay the money. (4)He walked about the room with his arms folded.

• 英文の翻訳お願いします

下のどれか一つでも良いので、日本語に訳して欲しいです。 お願いします。 (1) I'm glad to he here. (2) I'm happy to be with you. (3) I'm sorry to be late for class. (4) It has been raining since last night (5) It is fun to swim (6) It is important for us to learn English. (7) It is the best novel that I have ever read. (8) It is very difficult for you to answer this question? なるべく簡単に訳してもらえたら嬉しいです。 お願いします、、

• 和訳をお願いします

How are we going to take care of the shipping. It's more exspensive now then it was when I purchased the item. I don't know why I should be responsible for all the shopping cost. The first time it was around 14.00 dollars now it's 25.00.

• この英文の訳はこれでいいでしょうか?

こんにちは。 よろしくお願いいたします。 Ross took the common sense view that it would be better to stay at home. It would have been better to hold the debate during the day. I would have thought it would be better to wait a while. ロスは良識を持ち合わせているからうちに泊まっていくといいでしょう。 今日のうちに議論をするといいでしょう。 もう少し待ったほうがいいと思います。

• 和訳をお願いします。

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori,who pledged over 15 billion dollars' worth of aid for IT development over the next five years and three billion dollars' worth of aid for the control of infectious diseases, declared the event to have been concluded successfully. 上の文なんですが、who節の訳し方がさっぱりです。dollarsに'が付いてたり、overがあの位置にきてたりと全然わかりません。どうしてそういう訳し方になるのかも添えていただくとありがたいです。

• 仮定法の英文の添削をお願いします!

1)鳥のように飛べるといいんだがなあ。 →I (wish) I (could) fly like a bird. 2)模試外国に行くようなことがあれば、ありえないことだがスコットランドへ行きたい。 →If I (were) to go abroad, I (would) go to Scotland. 3)もしその問題を解くことができていたら、試験に通っていたのだが。 →If I (had) been able to answer the question, I should (be) passed the examination. 4)君の助けが無かったならば、それをすることはできなかったのだ。 →(But) for your help, I (would) not have done it. 5)今日の午後二時前にここへ来れば、彼の家へ連れて行くことができます。 →(Should) you come here before two this afternoon, we (would) take you to his house. 6)彼が承諾しなければ我々は何もできない。 →(Without) he consents, we can do (not). 7)我々のこれほどの警告にもかかわらず、彼はその山を登り始めました。 →( ) all our warnings, he (began) to climb up the mountain. 8)部屋に入るや否や、彼は上着を脱いだ。 →As ( ) as he (into) the room, he took off his jacket. 9)たとえ彼が私の息子でも同じことをするであろう。 →(As) if he were my son, I (should) do the same. 10)ひとたび君が言ったのだから、それは秘密にしなければならないよ。 →( ) you have said so, you should keep it secret. 英文が多くて申し訳ありません。()内の穴埋めです。 回答や解説よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 積分の問題(英文の問題です)

アメリカの大学でcalculusを取っています。 ちょっと分からないので質問させていただきます。 以下の問題がうまく解けません。 1,To calculate the area integrate each piece and add together. Answer should be around 23000 sq feet. 2, To calculate the volume compute the following (150/360)2π∫((x+220),x,a,b)f(x)dx for each piece. Answer should be around 10000000 cubic feet. 1番は∫((f(x)-g(x)),x,a,b)の公式に数値を入れて23000に近い値に なればいいのかなと思ったのですが、考え方として間違っているのでしょうか?"integrate each piece and add together"と書いてあるので、違う解き方を使うのかなとも思ってます。 2番も1番と同じように公式に数値を当てはめて10000000に近い数値になればいいと思うのですが、どうでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• この英文を訳して下さい。

It has been estimated that a 50% cut in sulfur dioxide emissions could be paid for by a mere 0.5% increase in electricity charges.

• 和訳をお願いします

次の文章は、ボクシング選手のコメントです。 『 I was 240 [pounds], for the last fight. Two weeks later I was already 255 [pounds] because of what it took me to be 240 [pounds], if you look at my body fat percentage, I dieted down. 』 上記の文章の、 『what it took me to be 240 [pounds]』 の訳がわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。