Science without controlled, empirical research: Is it really scientific?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Uncontrolled science consists of untested ideas and biases, making it difficult to consider the results as scientific.
  • Controlled, empirical research is essential in distinguishing science from unscientific practices like witchcraft or astrology.
  • Understanding the structure of scientific research helps identify the flaws in uncontrolled science.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

文章の構造を教えて下さい。

Science without controlled, empirical research would consist of only untested ideas and biases, and it would be hard even to think of the result as scientific any more than, for example, witchcraft or astrology are scientific. 統制されていない科学では、実験的研究は単に未検査の概念や偏りから成り立つだろう、 そして実験的研究は、例えば魔術や星占いが科学的であると考える以上に、科学的だという結論を考えることさえも困難であろう。 なんか、違和感があるというか、おかしいというか。 でもその違和感に気づく事ができません。itを間違えてるのかな… 前から直感的に訳した訳でかまわないので、教えて下さい。

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#145074
noname#145074
回答No.3

●Science without controlled, empirical research would consist of only untested ideas and biases. ** without=[接続詞]unless; if ~ not【古風な用法】 ** 隠れた条件節を発見する。 書き換えると(仮定法過去の公式に則って) =Science if it were not controlled, empirical research would consist of only untested ideas and biases. =If science were not controlled, empirical research would consist of only untested ideas and biases. 「もし科学というものがきちんと管理されていないとしたら、実験を基にした研究はたんなる正否の検証をされていない考え方と偏見から成り立っていることになるだろう。」(しかし科学がうまくコントロールされているからそういう風にはならないけど・・・。) ●it would be hard even to think of the result as scientific any more than, for example, witchcraft or astrology are scientific. ** than は接続詞で基本的には文と文を結びつける。だから"than"以下を省略されたものを補って完全な文にする。 ** 隠れた条件節を発見する。 書き換えると(仮定法過去の公式に則って) =it would be hard if you even thought of the result as any more scientific, for example, you thought witchcraft or astrology are scientific. 「もし実験を基にした研究で得られた結果を、たとえば魔法や占星術を科学的だと考える(程度)よりも、少しでも科学的なものがあると考えるとしたら、そのような考え方さえ成りたたなってくるであろう。」 ** 「そのような考え方」とは「実験を基にした研究で得られた結果」を「魔法や占星術」よりまだまだ科学的だと考えることそのもの。この前提となっている条件はすべて"If science were not controlled"を前提としていっていることばである。 ** この"it"は"if節"を表しており、"I would appreciate it very much if ~."の「it~if」と同じ扱いになる。一般的に表現すると「it=間接疑問文」の用法である。 ★「仮定法の条件節の省略を含んだ文」の書き換え問題をもっとこなすことと、「比較」というもの、特に"than"とか"as"は接続詞であり、接続詞は文と文を結びつけるということをしっかり学ぶべきでしょう。"than"とか"as"の共通の一般的な訳は「~と比較すると」になる。 ★"any more than"の形は"any more ~ than"と書き換えることができる。 いつも難解な英文を読まれていますね。今回も結構難しいですが、書き換えをいうものをもっと意識されて、日本文だけでは解決しないようにされた方が上達が早いと思います。

melemoe
質問者

お礼

先日は大変お世話になりました。 >書き換えをいうものをもっと意識されて、 >日本文だけでは解決しないようにされた方が上達が早いと思います。 そうですね。仰るとおりだと思います。 これまで書き換えが苦手で、遠ざかっていた部分もありました。 難しいですね…。 >Science without controlled, empirical research would consist of only >untested ideas and biases. >** without=[接続詞]unless; if ~ not【古風な用法】 >** 隠れた条件節を発見する。 この返信でお示し頂いたように、withoutの用法に戸惑った事も、 理解を狭めた要因だと思います。 まずは今回の、without = unless; if~notという書き換えを役立てたいと思います。

その他の回答 (4)

noname#145074
noname#145074
回答No.5

たびたびすみません。 「it=間接疑問文」はここでは「it=if節(条件節)」のことです。もちろん前者の用法もあります。

noname#145074
noname#145074
回答No.4

二番目の●の次の文のタイプミスです。"any more scientific (than)"と"than"を追記します。 書き換えると(仮定法過去の公式に則って) =it would be hard if you even thought of the result as any more scientific than, for example, you thought witchcraft or astrology are scientific.

• go_urn
  • ベストアンサー率57% (938/1643)
回答No.2

1)Science without controlled, empirical research  主語ですね。controlledは「行き当たりばったりではない」、empirical は、経験的なというより「実験に基づいた」ということです。(http://eow.alc.co.jp/empirical/UTF-8/)  訳は、「計画的で実験に基づいた研究を欠いた科学は」です。 2)would consist of only untested ideas and biases  consist of は「~で構成される」ですが、「中身が~になってしまう」と訳せばわかりやすいでしょう。  「中身が、裏打ちのない考えや偏見だけになってしまうだろう」 3)and it would be hard even to think of the result as scientific any more than, for example, witchcraft or astrology are scientific  not ~ any more than ... はご存知ですか? ~と...が両方否定される構文です。  例)A whale is not a fish any more than a horse is.(クジラが魚でないのは、馬が魚でないのと同じことだ)  hard がありますので、否定の not があるのと同じことになります。  ということで、「そうしたやり方の結果を科学的と思うのが困難であるのは、たとえば、魔術や占星術を科学と思うのが困難であるのと同じことである」 4)つなげてならしますと  しっかりした計画と実験に基づく研究のない科学は、その中身が、裏打ちのない考えや偏見だけになってしまうことだろう。そして、そうした「科学」の結果を、科学的とみなすのが困難であるのは、たとえば、魔術や占星術を科学と思うのが困難であるのと同じことである。  となります。

melemoe
質問者

お礼

いつもお世話になります。 >not ~ any more than ... はご存知ですか? >hard がありますので、否定の not があるのと同じことになります。 存じてました。が、お示しのように、notがなかったので訳し方に戸惑いました。 なるほど、理解しました。

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

制御された経験的研究に裏打ちされていない科学は検証されたことのない思想や偏見からのみ成り立つであろう。そして例えば魔術や星占いが科学的であると考える以上にはその結果を科学的と見なすことは難しいであろう。

melemoe
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。なんか根本的に把握できてないですね…

関連するQ&A

• itが何を指すか教えて下さい。

(http://okwave.jp/qa/q6964598.html)で下記の英文の構造について質問しました。 ベストアンサーを出した後で疑問が浮かんだので、質問させてください。 Science without controlled, empirical research would consist of only untested ideas and biases, and it would be hard even to think of the result as scientific any more than, for example, witchcraft or astrology are scientific. この、it would be hard~の、itが何を指すかがわかりません。 形としては 形式主語構文かと思ったのですが、それにしては訳があわず…。 そもそも形式主語構文は it is 形容詞or副詞 to~ 強調構文は it is ~that で、thatの先行詞はit としか覚えていないので、 その記憶が悪いのかもしれません。

• 文章の構造を教えて下さい。

many students and even seasoned scholars equated research and science and, implicitly if not explicitly, viewed theory as unnecessary, even impeding, in our search for laws of behavior. 大半の学生や、熟練の学者たちでさえも、研究と科学を同等にみなし…の後の文章になります。 equatedとviewedがandでつながっていて、 in our~behaviorがunnecessaryにつながっていると思うのですが、 implicitly~explicitlyは、どこに繋がっているのでしょうか? おそらく直前に繋がっているとは思うのですが、andがありますよね?

• 英語の誤文訂正問題です

以下の英文の1~10の中で謝りを含む箇所はありますか? (1) The traffic here/(2) was very dense,/(3) and there would often/(4) have been accidents/(5) had it not for/(6) the policeman/(7) who stood/(8) in the centre/(9)of the crossways /(10) and controlled it.

• 構造はこんな感じでしょうか?またここの構造は?

Some good people,when they saw me reading these thrillers in the train on my way to school,would shake their heads,and say they wondered my parents allowed it. まずここまではsome good peopleの動詞はwould shake、そしてsayのすぐ後ろとmy parentsの前には接続詞thatが省略と考えていいのでしょうか?itはreadingかと・・ He argued that,if I had any sense,I would grow out of this type of reading:if I had not,it did not matter what I read,as I should be a fool anyway. ここからがよくわかりません・・thatはarguedの目的語を導いているのですよね?ただ仮定法なのですがI would grow out of this type of reading の訳がうまくできません。また:以下の構造がさっぱりです。I had notの後ろにはany sense省略でしょうか。なのでitが何さしてるのかのもわかり ません。よろしくお願いします。

• この文章はどのように訳すのでしょうか?

この文章はどのように訳すのでしょうか? Resource management as a whole In studying agrodiversity, it is also necessary to take account of diversity in resource management as a whole. The small farm regions of the tropical world contain a high degree of biodiversity, sometimes greater in species numbers than the wild land itself. Only a portion of this biodiversity is directly manipulated for production, although a much higher proportion provides services of various kinds to the farmers. It provides food and economically valuable fruits, nuts, and leaves, restores soil fertility, yield wood and raw materials for artisanal production, offers a range of medicines, shelters wildlife that can be hunted, and so on. Whether or not agroforests are part of the system, the farm does not end where the field meets the wood. We need to look at the continuum between the two and examine the manner in which the managed and unmanaged wild elements relate to the cultivated land and plants. Inclusion of managed and unmanaged wild elements in the content of agridiversity or agrobiodiversity is contrary to the view of some modern students of agricultural biodiversity. Wood and Lenne(1992a:2) excluded “wild plants and animals of food value outside the agroecosystem“ from the domain of agrobiodiversity because they are of small importance on the global level. On the local level, they can be of major importance. Chapter 4 introduces the integral significance of the wild populations historically. The topic is taken further in chapter 6, and chapter 8 develops the close relationship between farm and forest in depth. Food and useful plant sources beyond the field are indeed part of the farm. 分からず、困っております 本の中の途中の文章ですが、よろしくおねがいします!

• 英文の構造がわかりません。

英文の構造がわかりません。 英文についての質問です。和訳は手元にあるので、わかるのですが、構造がよくわかりません。 Sometimes lunch would go on all afternoon and into the evening, and leave behind it a delightful trail of canceled appointments and hard work postponed. 和訳 「時として、ランチは午後いっぱい、さらには夕方までも続いて、キャンセルした面会予約や、後回しにした大変な仕事を喜んで後に残したものであった。」 前半(Sometimes ~ evening)まではわかるのですが、以下がわかりません。itが何を指しているのか、また、leaveが第何文型を作っているのかが、いまいちよくわかりません。 どなたかご教授下さい。よろしくお願いします。

• 次の英文の文型、文章構造を教えてください。

次の5文のSVやOC、関係詞の始まりや名詞節や副詞節などを教えてください!! (1)You must keep the creativity flowing; time should be set aside for coming up with new ideas  and approaches in an unstructured way, an activity known as brainstorming. (2)These factors illustrate the point that stars are not born as geniuses, but reach that level as a result of constant effort and common sense. (3)There is, however, one additional point that is essential for the creation of a star performer; that is, a company which encourages its workers to aspire to a higher level of performance. (4)If people are working independently there may be less pressure; but when it comes to working in a company, people may try to improve their own position by making things difficult for their co-workers, which often results in a lot of talent being wasted. (5)If all employees in companies could outgrow their desire to save face, move away from working in isolation and towards helping and simulating one another, and start making judgement from a broader perspective, the chance for stars to be born would expand.

• 英文の構造について質問があります。

すいません質問があります。 オーストラリアの現状について教えて下さい。Partially how its isolation, both geographically and through immigration laws, affects influx or export of ideas and people, and how you or others compensate. Is it helpful, or is the final effect homogenous and staid? この英文の部分ですが、構造的には、シンプルに考えると、 How its isolation affects influx or export of ideas and people.となりますよね?それと、意味がいまひとつわかりません…。 I think it can work both ways. It affects everyone differently, and it all depends on the individual. I've always been really investigative, and somehow I've managed to get ahold of stuff I've heard about if I really wanted to. For me it's always been important be open and to listen to as much music as possible, so I'm always trying to track down releases, soak them up. たくさんの面白い作品がオーストラリアでも生まれているが、もう本当に人目につかないという状況だ。例えば、君がそれらを見つけるために必死に努力したとしても、得られるのはライブを観る機会だけだろう。作品が視界に飛び込んでくるなんてことはない。It's definitely helped traveling overseas as there's so much more out there. 質問に対する答えがこれになりますが、英文部分がわかりません。どういう意味になりますか? 以上です。よろしくお願いいたします。

• この文章を訳してもらえませんか

難しくて・・・、自動翻訳とかだとわけ分からないので Some people think that sustainable society would have to stop using nonrenewable resources, since their use is by definition unsustainable. That idea is an overly rigid interpretation of what it means to be sustainable. Certainly a sustainable society would use gifts from the earth's crust more thoughtfully and efficiently than the present world does. It would price them properly and keep more of them available for future generations. But there is no reason not to use them, as long as their use meets the criterion of sustainability already defined, namely that renewable substitutes should be developed, so that no future society finds itself built around the use of resource that is suddenly no longer available or affordable.

• 文法的な構造を教えてください。

文法的な構造を教えてください。 赤ちゃんのことについて述べています。 Completely helpless, absolutely dependent on the greater part of nine or ten months, it would seem better off in the womb a little longer until ready to make a respectable debut and stretch for himself. it would seem...a little longerを、仮定法過去完了と判断したのですが、 completely....monthsまでは、itの修飾でしょうか。それともif it had beenの省略? それともunless 以下を「もし。。。でないのなら」と訳すのでしょうか。 unlessは終点を表す前置詞、ready を名詞と捕らえたのですが、 そうではなくて、unless接続詞、readyは形容詞で unless( it had been )readyなのでしょうか。 分かりやすく教えて頂けたら嬉しいです。 よろしくお願いします。