sayの用法について解説します

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 生徒がDNAの構造や地球温暖化のメカニズムを理解することができれば、教師の仕事はほとんど終わったものと言えます。
  • 英文中のsayは、例えばDNAの構造や地球温暖化のメカニズムなどをイメージすることを指しています。
  • 英文の詳細な解説は、http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v458/n7238/full/458549b.htmlを参照してください。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

sayの用法を教えてください。

Once a student can picture in his or her mind the structure of DNA, say, or the mechanism of the greenhouse effect, much of the teacher's job is done. 生徒はDVAの構造や地球温暖化のメカニズムを頭に描くことができれば、先生の仕事のほとんどは終わっている。 上の英文を和訳してみたのですが、sayの用法がいまいちわかりませんでした。英語に詳しい方、解説よろしくおねがいします。 原文は、http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v458/n7238/full/458549b.html にあります。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

say は ~といったところ その程度のこと の意味です。 DNAの構造や,地球温暖化のメカニズム と言ったところを を生徒が思い浮かべることができれば, という意味です。 参考 http://eow.alc.co.jp/SAY/UTF-8/?ref=sa の副詞の項目

Alfiner
質問者

お礼

副詞?ですか。それは、気づかなかったです。なにか特別な用法だと思っていましたが、Iguchi_Yさんの訳からとても納得がいきました。あまり、sayにこだわらなくてよかったのですね!

その他の回答 (3)

• Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.4

このsayの意味は「言ってみれば」、「例えば」です。the structure of DNAの前に来た方が整っているのですが、なんらかの加減で後ろに来たのだと思います。続けてgreenhouse effectを言いたくなったからかもしれません。前置詞ではないですから、意味上は後ろでも前でもいいのでしょう。

Alfiner
質問者

お礼

配置のことまで教えていただきとても参考になります。 Oubliさんの言うとおり、the structure of DNAの後に来たほうがわかりやすいですね。Native?の英文は慣れていないのでとても難しいです。

回答No.3

時間を少し稼いで考えるような場合(pause)に使います.「Let's say」(そうですね,たとえば,言わば)とか「that is to say」(すなわち)の省略形と考えても良いでしょう.また,人に呼び掛けるときにも使います(もしもし,ちょっと).

Alfiner
質問者

お礼

let's などが付いていればわかりやすかったのですが、sayの前に何もついていなかったので難しく考えてしまいました。軽い感じの用法なんですね。置き換えのフレーズまで教えていただきありがとうございました。

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.1
Alfiner
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。一応、すでにアルクの辞書で調べていたのですが、どの用法にあてはまるかわかりませんでした。それにしてもこのサイトの辞書はとてもいいですね!

関連するQ&A

• put forwardの意味がわかりません。

一枚のしわしわのおばあちゃんの肖像画があります。これを論じた文なのですが、effect of time,以下がどこにかかるか、またどういう意味なのかわかりません。put forwardで熟語があるようですが、前のほうへ出すってあります。さっぱり意味がわかりません。お分かりになる方、どうか教えてください! Perhaps an allegory of Vanity or a warning about the fleeting nature of beauty, a eulogy of old age or a representation of the corrupting effect of time, to cite some of the proposals put forward

• 1行分の和訳お願いします。

Yet at the same time, new technology is not limited to delivering the same type of content in new formats. 訳:しかし、同時に新しい技術は新しい形式で同じ内容を伝えるのを制限しない。 訳してみたのですが、しっくりときませんでした。 (1)yetは「しかし」でいいのですか? (2)上手な訳があったら教えてください。 原文は下記のURLです。 http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v458/n7238/full/458549b.html

• 翻訳お願いします!!

以下の文の翻訳をお願いします!! Throughout the ages similar sentiments to those of Neil Armstrong have been expressed by poets, writers and artists who have been captivated by the beauty of nature. Scientists have called these gases "greenhouse gases," because in forming a blanket around the earth, they make the earth like a gigantic greenhouse-a place where the heat is trapped, but not allowed to escape. A rise in sea levels will result in flooding in many parts of the world; for example, in coastal Bangladesh, where millions of people, who are already desperately poor, would lose their only way of producing food. In other words, if we want to reduce these gases and so lessen global warming or the greenhouse effect, we have to seriously think about changing our lifestyles.

• 英文の構造について教えてください。

The Lucifer Effect is my attempt to understand the processes of transformation at work when good or ordinary people do bad or evil things. We will deal with the fundamental question "What makes people go wrong?" But instead of resorting to a traditional religious dualism of good versus evil, of wholesome nature versus corrupting nurture, we will look at real people engaged in life's daily tasks, enmeshed in doing their jobs, surviving within an often turbulent crucible of human nature. We will seek to understand the nature of their character transformations when they are faced with powerful situational forces. (The Lucifer Effect by P.Zimbardo) 英文の構造がわからない個所について教えてください。 But instead of resorting to a traditional religious dualism of good versus evil, of wholesome nature versus corrupting nurture, we will look at real people engaged in life's daily tasks, enmeshed in doing their jobs, surviving within an often turbulent crucible of human nature. of wholesome nature versus corrupting nurtureのofはどこにつながっているのでしょうか? a traditional religious dualism of wholesome nature versus corrupting nurtureですか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文…訳していただけませんか?

長文を訳しているのですが、二文だけ、どうしても訳せない文があって困っています。 どなたか英語が得意な方、訳していただけませんか? Similarly , one teacher may prefer to give explicit explanation and practice of a new grammar point before getting students to use it in a communicative activity. Another teacher may prefer to introduce the grammar point in the form of a contextualized dialogue and only draw the attention of the student to the grammatical form after they have used it communicatively or pseudocommunicatively. お願いします;;

• マイケル・ジャクソンの「SAY SAY SAY」「ウィーアーザワールド デモVer」の録音時期は?

マイケル・ジャクソン(michael jackson)の曲で2枚組の自作アルバムを作っています。(今まで一枚も買った事がない29歳男です) とりあえず「エッセンシャル・マイケル・ジャクソン」とUSAアフリカの「ウィーアーザワールド」と去年発売の「KING OF POP」を買いました。 そこでエッセンシャルに入ってない「SAY SAY SAY」「ウィーアーザワールド デモVer」が気に入りました。(他のスクリーム・スリラーメガミックスは個人的に合いません) (1)そこで質問ですが、「SAY SAY SAY」「ウィーアーザワールド デモVer」の発表(録音)時期を教えてください。 アメリカ版wiki見ても分かりません・・・ 次のどこら辺に挿入したらいいですか?(削る曲は後から決めます。 たぶん2曲位) ちなみに DISC:1 帰ってほしいの(ジャクソン5) ABC(ジャクソン5) 小さな経験(ジャクソン5) ガット・トゥ・ビー・ゼア ロッキン・ロビン ベンのテーマ 今夜はブギー・ナイト(ジャクソンズ) シェイク・ユア・ボディ(ジャクソンズ) 今夜はドント・ストップ オフ・ザ・ウォール ロック・ウィズ・ユー あの娘が消えた キャン・ユー・フィール・イット(ジャクソンズ) ガール・イズ・マイン ビリー・ジーン 今夜はビート・イット スタート・サムシング ヒューマン・ネイチャー P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) キャント・ストップ・ラヴィング・ユー スリラー DISC:2 バッド ザ・ウェイ・ユー・メイク・ミー・フィール マン・イン・ザ・ミラー ダーティー・ダイアナ アナザー・パート・オブ・ミー スムーズ・クリミナル リーヴ・ミー・アローン ブラック・オア・ホワイト リメンバー・ザ・タイム イン・ザ・クローゼット フー・イズ・イット ヒール・ザ・ワールド ウィル・ユー・ビー・ゼア ユー・アー・ナット・アローン ブラッド・オン・ザ・ダンス・フロア ワン・モア・チャンス ユー・ロック・マイ・ワールド (2)あとUSAアフリカの「ウィーアーザワールド」だけは個人的に別格扱いにしたいのですがDISC:2のラストを飾っておかしくありませんかね? (3)「SAY SAY SAY」「ウィーアーザワールド デモVer」を入れるために2曲削るとしたら、みなさんだったらDISC:1と2で何の曲を削りますか? ライトファンなので一生を自作の2枚で過ごす事を考えています。 まだ全曲聞き込んでいませんが、基本的にKING OF POPの全曲は好きです。あとジャクソン5は全部好き。

• 和訳お願い致します。

In actual research these three objects are prosecuted, not successively, but simultaneously. Thus it is not necessary in either case that the final object — that of classification- should wait for its commencement upon the completion of the dissection or analysis of every organism or every mental structure that is to be found upon the earth. On the con trary, the comparison in each case begins with the facts that are first found to be comparable, and is afterwards pro gressively extended as knowledge of additional facts becomes more extensive. * The word " structure " is used in a metaphorical sense when applied to mind, but the usage it convenient.

• 和訳お願い致します。

It is obvious, then, to start with, that by Mind we may mean two very different things, according as we contemplate it in our own individual selves, or as manifested by other beings. For if I contemplate my own mind, I have an imme diate cognizance of a certain flow of thoughts and feelings, which are the most ultimate things — and, indeed, the only things— of which I am cognizant. But if I contemplate Mind in other persons or organisms, I can have no such immediate cognizance of their thoughts and feelings ; I can only infer the existence of such thoughts and feelings from the activities of the persons or organisms which appear to manifest them. Thus it is that by Mind we may mean either that which is subjective or that which is objective. Now throughout the present work we shall have to consider Mind as an object ; and therefore it is well to remember that our only instrument of analysis is the observation of activities which we infer to be prompted by, or associated with, mental antecedents or accompaniments analogous to those of which we are directly conscious in our own subjective experience. That is to say, starting from what I know subjectively of the operations of my own individual mind, and of the activi ties which in my own organism these operations seem to prompt, I proceed by analogy to infer from the observable activities displayed by other organisms, the fact that certain mental operations underlie or accompany these activities.

• うまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします A sect of Judaism completely rejects the wearing of neckties out of the religions belief that “ties separate the heart and mind”. The Japanese businessman looks for his dress code not to the West Coast, but to the East Coast; or, it might be even truer to say, he looks to the dress of European businessmen as his standard. Croatian mercenaries fighting for France brought to French society the custom of wearing a piece of cloth called cravate royale around the neck.

• 英作文を添削してもらえませんか?

今、アカデミックライティングというものを学んでいる大学生です。以下の和文を英訳してみたので、よかったら、添削と講評をしていただけないでしょうか。具体的な講評をお願いします。 心理カウンセラーを40年やってきて、「人間の心ほど移ろいやすいものはない」との思いと、「人間ほど一度思い込むとこれほど頑固なものはない」との想いの両方がある。心を柔らかく持ち、いい加減な自分を肯定したいものである。 In my experience of being a psychotherapist for 40 years, I have held opposite feelings: Nothing is more inconstant than the mind of men, and more persistent in what one once believes than the nature of them. Then, condition of our flexible mind and recognition of our susceptible one, we really need. My forty year career of a psychotherapist have given me the realization that our mind is the most influenced by the inner or the outer, whereas our spirit is the most likely to assume one thing endlessly. Therefore it is really necessary for us to smelt our iron mind, which sometimes is like clay, and to accept it.