• ベストアンサー

英文 訳 

DUO3.0というテキストの例文であったのですが、 The bullet penetrated his chest, leaving him critical condition. 銃弾が胸を貫通し、彼は危篤状態に陥った。 テキストには「be in ... condition」で「...な状態である」と書いてあるのですがbeがなくleavingとなっているのですがなぜなんでしょうか? leavingの部分はどういう風に訳されているのでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

これは下記の他動詞1の5番目の「 ある状態にしておく」という意味です。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/leave/UTF-8/  下記に「~のままにしておく」の例がたくさん出ています。be は不要です。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/leave+in/UTF-8/  The bullet penetrated his chest, leaving him in critical condition. 主語は「弾丸」ですから、直訳すれば「弾が胸を撃った。彼を瀕死の状態にしたままにしておきながら」> 意訳すれば「銃弾が胸を貫通し、彼は危篤状態に陥った。」となります。   The bullet penetrated his chest, and left him in critical condition.と同じです。

White-000
質問者

お礼

そのサイトで勉強させていただきます。詳しく説明していただきありがとうございましたm(_ _ )m

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

それは 「分詞構文」 というのもので、その文の場合には 「結果」 を表す機能が働いています。 まず The bullet penetrated his chest という事実があり、その結果として and that left him critical condition という事態が生じた、という内容を表現する文になっています。 「分詞構文」 を用いれば、複文 → 短文 に出来て、引き締まった感じの文を作ることができます。 その文における leave の意味は、辞書を参照していただければお分かりになるだろうと思いますが、ご参考までに英文で説明されたものを示せば、   to cause to be or remain in a specified state (ある状態であることの原因となる、あるいはある状態のままにしておく) ということになります。引用元は下記です。  → http://www.thefreedictionary.com/leave 上記の定義をお示しの文に適用して直訳すれば、「その弾丸は彼の胸を貫通し、その結果として、彼をして重態に陥らせた」 となります。

White-000
質問者

お礼

わかりました。詳しく説明していただきありがとうございましたm(_ _ )m

関連するQ&A

• 英文について質問

The bullet penetrated his chest,leaving him in critical condition 質問:この例文に対応した単語に「be in... condtion」というものがありました。でもこの例文ではbeがありません。それどころか、leavingがあります。何故ですか? 分詞構文であることはわかるのですが、、beが無いのがひっかかりました。、 質問2:The bullet penetrated his chest,leaving him in critical conditionの文を分詞構文でない形に書き換えたら、 The bullet penetrated his chest and was leaving him in critical conditionですか?つまり、be 動詞ingのように過去進行形を作れ、それを分詞構文の形書き換えたのが例文ということですか? 質問3:この英文のinは、「((状態))…の状態で」のように状態を表す用法ですか?

• 英熟語の質問です。

参考書に "be in ... condition "で" ... な状態[の程度]である"と紹介されていました。 例文には The bullet penetrated his chest,leaving him in crtical condition. とあり、"be" はどこにいっちゃたのかなぁと不思議におもいました。 "-,leaving him being in critical condition."ではまずいのでしょうか。 回答よろしくおねがいします。:D

• to beとisに違い

今日テキストを見ていたらこういう例文がありました! I belive his proposal to be very practical. (彼の提案はすごく現実的だと思う。) というセンテンスなのですが、このto beというところにちょっと違和感を感じたのですが、この場合もし I belive his proposal is very practical. と言ったら文法的に間違えなのでしょうか?もしくは I belive that his proposal is very practical.などは可能なのでしょうか?

• 「may well」の二つの訳し方

ご存知の通り,「may well」には,「おそらく~するだろう」と「~するのももっともだ」の二通りの訳し方がありますが,さて,    She may well be angry with him. He broke his promise. という例文は,解答は,「怒るのも尤もだ」だったのですが,文脈を整えさえすれば,「おそらく怒っているだろう」でも不思議ではありません。 さて,この「may well」を訳し分ける際の判別基準はいったい何なのでしょうか?

• 英文構造について

どのような英文構造になっているかお教えください。 【英文】 With a documentary about him (※) nominated for an Oscar in 2010 and increasing worldwide interest in his work, we will certainly be seeing a lot more of Banksy in the future, whether we know his face or not. ※このhimはBanksyのことです。主にイギリスで活動されている覆面芸術家です。 increasing worldwide interest in his workが前のWith a documentary about him nominated for an Oscar in 2010とどのようにつながっているのかわかりません。 increasingが形容詞としてworldwide interestを前から修飾していたり、あるいはincreasingが動名詞としてworldwide interestを目的語に取っている場合、with~の後ろにいきなり名詞句がポツンと置かれた状態になり前とどうつながりがあるのかな、と思ってしまいました。 それとも前の付帯状況のwithとつながってwith a documentary ~ nominated ~ and increasing worldwide interestとなっているのでしょうか(「ドキュメンタリーがノミネートされ世界的な関心を高めている」)。 大変お手数かけますが、ご教授いただければ幸いです。なにとぞ宜しくお願いいたします。

• 不定詞の使い方

不定詞の使い方 今DUO3.0を使って勉強しているのですが、載っている例文の不定詞の使い方がどうしてもわからないのがあるので、どなたか教えてください。 His new novel,which combines prose with his gift for poetry,is going to be published. この例文のgoing to be published なんですが、なぜgoing to publish ではいけないのでしょうか? 自分なりに参考書など見てみたのですが、わかりません。 一応アメリカ人に聞いてみたのですが、「誰がpublishするかわからないからto be publishedになるんだ」と言ってました。が、私にはよく理解できず・・・。 to be ~と to 動詞 の文の違いは何なのでしょうか?どういう時に使い分けるのでしょうか? なるべくわかりやすく説明していただけると嬉しいです。よろしくおねがいします。

• His letter will arrive ??

今英語を勉強しているテキストにHis letter will arrive in a few days. という例文がありました。 しかし私の認識ではHis letter will be arrived in a few days.とarriveの前にbeが入ります。l 理由は手紙は物なので動詞の前にBe動詞が入って受身になると昔から覚えているからです。 私の認識は間違っていますか。何をどう間違えて私はこう覚えていたんでしょう。心当たりあるかた指摘・アドバイスをお願い出来ますか。

• 日本語訳を! 5-(4)

お願いします。 (11) Osiris and Isis were two of the original nine gods. They were the children of the goddess of the sky and the god of the earth. Osiris became king of Egypt. He married the great love of his life, his sister Isis. His brother, Seth, was jealous. Seth wanted everything that Osiris had. He wanted to be king. He wanted his power. He wanted Isis. Seth pushed sibling rivalry into the evil zone. He plotted to destroy Osiris. Plutarch writes, "Seth secretly measured the body of Osiris and had made to the corresponding size a beautiful chest which was exquisitely decorated. He brought the chest to a banquet, and when the guests showed pleasure and admiration at the sight of it, Seth promised playfully that whoever would lie down in it and show that he fitted it, should have the chest as a gift." Then, in true Cinderella-and-the-glass-slipper fashion, everyone tried the coffinlike chest on for size. Some were so fat they couldn't squeeze into the box. Others were so small they slid right out. But, finally, when Osiris tried the coffin, the fit was just right. Plutarch writes that Seth "ran and slammed the lid on, and after securing it with bolts from the outside and with molten lead poured on, they took it to the river and let it go to the sea... "Osiris drowned. Death came to Egypt for the first time. (12) Seth enjoyed everything that once belonged to Osiris. But whereas Osiris was kind, Seth was cruel. There was no ma'at in Egypt with Seth in charge. There was war and hunger and lawlessness. Only Isis was unafraid of Seth. She found Osiris's body and turned herself into a bird and sang to him. In a fury, Seth cut Osiris into pieces and scattered him all over Egypt. Isis and her sister searched "in a papyrus boat, sailing through the marshes" for all his parts. They collectedthe pieces of Osiris, and with the help of Anubis, god of the dead, they sewed him back together.

• 訳をお願いします。

I'm just surging with anger right now. I can't help it. I think what he did is wrong. why could't he just once give in and not be so controlling. It helps to write these feelings down. I can't talk to him. He overpowers me with his words in no time.then there's the fact that I cant' put what I'm trying to say in the right way. What I want to say never comes out the way I envision it in my head. why is that? I wonder If I could have prevented the fight by going out there myself, then again maybe he would have told me the same things. If I told him any of my feelings he would immediately tell me "the angels are controlling you."I need him to give me the freedom to talk to him, but right now that's not going to happen. So I will only let these feelings flow through me and out this pencil. It's weird, but I already feel the tension leaving me and soon I will only be left with the memory of this night to think about and analyze, rethink, and come to a conclusion about what to do. Maybe the tension is leaving me because I'm no longer around him; I'm out here in my own space. I love my tent! It's my own space to do with as I wish. As soon as I see him again, all I want to do is tell him how wrong he was to do that. But he will never take responsibility for what he does. It''always someone else's fault,the angels now mostly. If I confronted him, he would jut think I'm being controlled to say these things by the angels and that would get me nowhere. 上の英文の訳をお願いします。文の中で、下の文ところがよくわかりませんでした。ご助力をお願いします。 ◎I can't help it ◎I wonder If I could have prevented the fight by going out there myself ◎and out this pencil ◎I'm out here in my own space. ◎how wrong he was to do that ◎that would get me nowhere.

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします "Then his majesty commanded the entire army to march upon the road which threatened to be narrow. He went forth at the head of his army himself, showing the way by his own footsteps; horse behind horse, his majesty being at the head of his army." Thutmose III led his troops through the dangerous pass. (15) The rebel forces never expected the Egyptian army to choose the dangerous direct road. They had divided the bulk of their army between the other two roads, leaving the central pass virtually unprotected. When the Egyptians attacked, the enemy retreated to the city gates of Megiddo, "they fled headlohm to Megiddo with faces of fear. They abandoned their horses and chariots of gold and silver...." Slow runners found the gates already slammed shut and had to be pulled over the walls by their friends inside, using ropes made from clothes tied together. Thutmose III's daring dash worked. (16) Because the Egyptians stopped to collect the loot abandoned by the fleeing soldiers, victory was not theirs that day. They were forced to wait outsidd the city walls for what, according to the records, was a seven-month siege. But the day's events sent a message to the ancient world. The throme of Egypt was in capable hands with the warrior king Thutmose III in control. Egypt would flourish under him. Its territory would be greatly expanded. Ma'at would be maintained. For Egypt ht would be a golden age.