What is service-intensive technology?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Service-intensive technology refers to a type of technology that requires a significant investment of both capital and service.
  • In the context of broadband service providers, Ethernet is considered a service-intensive technology.
  • Ethernet installation and configuration involve a truck roll and the complexity of Ethernet cards limits their adoption in the retail home PC market segment.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

意味がよくわからない英単語があります。

意味がよくわからない英単語があります。 下記の英文の中でservice-intensive technologyとあります。 capital-intensive technologyのほうは調べたところによると、 「労働力より設備のほうにお金をかけるような技術」のことだとわかりました。 service-intensive technologyとはどういう意味なのでしょうか? 以下が英文です。 Ethernet is the legacy broadband PC connection for residential broadband. While it may be suitable for LAN-equipped offices, the installation of an Ethernet network interface card is anything but trivial for the average home PC user. For broadband service providers, Ethernet represents capital- and service-intensive technology, primarily because of the truck roll that is involved in installing and configuring the customer's PC with the Ethernet-based modem. Moreover, the relative complexity of Ethernet cards makes it highly unlikely that these products will ever be widely adopted in the retail home PC market segment.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#114795
noname#114795
回答No.2

capital-intensive は,一般に「資本集約的」と訳していますが,大きな資本や投資が必要だという意味です.それ(capital)に対して,対照的に service という単語を使っているのですね.「サービス集約的」.つまり,service に労働力や経費がかかると意味になりますね.比較するための表現です.「お金をかける」というより,「お金がかかる」という意味合いです. Ethernet: イーサネット modem: モデム

matsu0822
質問者

補足

skytrain2005様 素早いご回答誠にありがとう御座います。 申し訳御座いません、追加でご質問が御座います (内容は先にご回答を下さった方と同じ内容です。) ご回答を頂いた内容は理解することができたのですが、 この英文を全部訳すと、 「イーサネットは家のパソコンで使う古いタイプの通信方法です。 イーサネットがLANを備えたオフィスに適している一方、イーサネットカードはたいていのホームPCユーザーにとっては決して簡単なものではありませんでした。 プロバイダにとっては、イーサネットは設備にお金がかかったり、サービスにお金がかかったりするということを意味しています。その主な原因として、ユーザーのPCをイーサネットモデムを使って設定・インストールするという出張サービスの事業も行っていることが挙げられます。 さらに、他(の通信インタフェース)と比べたイーサネットカードの使い方の複雑さから、ホームPCユーザの市場に広く受け入れられるということは全くありえそうにありません。」 という感じに私はなったのですが、 こちらで合っておりますでしょうか? 「プロバイダにとって…」という段落と、「さらに…」という段落が内容的にあまり繋がっていないのですが、これはまぁ英文がこのような意味になっているので、これはこれで大丈夫なのでしょうか? 宜しくお願い致します。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

capital-intensive technology はおっしゃる通り、労働力より設備投資に金がかかる技術です。  serivice-intensive technology はその逆で service に手間がかかるような技術です。  説明の文にも、PC を使う顧客に対してエサーネットのモーデムを取り付け、調整する、など、「労働力」が必要なことが挙げられ「設備投資だけでは済まない」点があることが協調されています。

matsu0822
質問者

補足

SPS700様 素早いご回答誠にありがとう御座います。 申し訳御座いません、追加でご質問なのですが、 ご回答を頂いた内容は理解することができたのですが、 この英文を全部訳すと、 「イーサネットは家のパソコンで使う古いタイプの通信方法です。 イーサネットがLANを備えたオフィスに適している一方、イーサネットカードはたいていのホームPCユーザーにとっては決して簡単なものではありませんでした。 プロバイダにとっては、イーサネットは設備にお金がかかったり、サービスにお金がかかったりするということを意味しています。その主な原因として、ユーザーのPCをイーサネットモデムを使って設定・インストールするという出張サービスの事業も行っていることが挙げられます。 さらに、他(の通信インタフェース)と比べたイーサネットカードの使い方の複雑さから、ホームPCユーザの市場に広く受け入れられるということは全くありえそうにありません。」 という感じに私はなったのですが、 こちらで合っておりますでしょうか? 「プロバイダにとって…」という段落と、「さらに…」という段落が内容的にあまり繋がっていないのですが、これはまぁ英文がこのような意味になっているので、これはこれで大丈夫なのでしょうか? 宜しくお願い致します。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の訳を教えて下さい。

英文の訳を教えて下さい。 下記の英文の"For broadband service providers,"からの文章が訳せません。 Ethernet is the legacy broadband PC connection for residential broadband. While it may be suitable for LAN-equipped offices, the installation of an Ethernet network interface card is anything but trivial for the average home PC user. For broadband service providers, Ethernet represents capital- and service-intensive technology, primarily because of the truck roll that is involved in installing and configuring the customer's PC with the Ethernet-based modem. Moreover, the relative complexity of Ethernet cards makes it highly unlikely that these products will ever be widely adopted in the retail home PC market segment. それ以前の文章については訳せていますが、その2文だけが訳せません。 何方かご教授下さいますようお願いします。

• 英単語の意味について質問です。

英文法の参考書に It goes without saying that love is one of the most important themes in literature. という英文の訳が「愛が文学でかなり重要なテーマであることは言うまでもない。」 となっていました。しかし、most は、「最も」という意味なので、上記のような訳にはならないと思います。なぜ、上記のような訳になるのでしょうか?

• 一橋大学 自由英作文 part.1 <Capital punishment is effective.>

こんにちは。受験生です 私は来年一橋大学を受験しようと思っています。 そこで皆さんには一橋英語の自由英作文を添削してもらいたいと思います。 ただ、パソコン上でいちいち添削してもらうのも忍びないので、 1)論理・説得力 2)特筆するほどの文法・構文ミス 3)使える表現, 幅広く使える定型表現など 4)総合点(やはり一橋を基準としたときに、それは合格点をいただけるのかどうか、などです)) をつけていただきたいと思います。もちろんコメントだけでも結構です。 I am in favor of capital punishment greatly for three reasons. First, in Japan a poll shows that a overwhelming majority goes along with capital punishment. Some insist that capital punishment should be abolished because we human never rule out the possibility that people innocent of any crimes would be punished. But I could conclude that in a sense we are ready to accept such a misfortune, for once we are for capital punishment. Another reasons is that only capital punishment is severe enough for murderers. If a member of my family should be killed, I will never calm down until the devil is killed in public. And then when I say that I am happy to kill the murderer, who would find fault with me? Third, capital punishment would serve as the means of the decline of the crime rate. It goes without saying that the system helps to discourage people from committing a serious crime. In conclusion, I hope that the government would keep up capital punishment for good. 読みにくい、稚拙な英文で申し訳ないです。 ぜひ一読した上でご指導お願いします。

• ( )に入る英単語を教えてください。

[問題] a,bの文が同じ内容となるように、( )の中に適当な語を入れなさい。 1. a: This book is very hard to under stand. b: It ( ) very ( ) to ( ) this book. 2. a:The problem of AIDS is difficult to solve. b: It is ( ) ( ) ( ) the problem of AIDS. 3. a: It wasn't easy for me to remember her name. b: Her name wasn't ( ) for ( ) ( ) ( ). 英訳は出来たのですが、( )の中になにを入れたらいいのか分かりません。 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 簡単な単語ばかりなのに意味がわかりません。教えてください。

英文を添削してくれたネイティブがメモとしてこんな一文を添えていました。 なんと言ってるんでしょうか? This appears to be a part of the sentence before it, so I treated it as if it were.

• bikinis(英単語)の意味

However, the AS is generally sceptical of relying on empirical data. It echoes what Aaron Levenstein once said about bikinis and statistics: ‘what they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital’ (1951). 上記英文の文脈においてbikinisは如何訳すべきでしょうか? ご指導下さい。

• これはどういう意味なのでしょうか?

日本語に訳してもあまりはっきりと意味がわからないのですが どういうことを言ってるのでしょうか?分かる方いましたらお願いします。 'The thing that gives people courage is ideas'. The phrase might be expanded. For it is not only courage that comes from ideas; it is determination; it is the power to act, the power to go on acting coherently. For though it is true that most ideas are the rationalizations of feelings, that does not mean that feelings are more important in the world of action than ideas. Feeling provides the original supply of energy, but this supply of energy soon fails if the feelings are not rationalized. For the rationalization justifies the feelings and serves at the same time both as a substitute for feelings and as a stimulant for them when they are dormant. You cannnot go on feeling violently all the time---the human organism does not allow of it. But an idea persists; once you have persuaded yourself of its truth, an idea justifies the continuance in cold blood of actions which emotion could only have dictated in the heat of the moment.

• 英文の意味は?

There must be something that pulled it to the ground. The same thing can be said of a plane that goes up. 2つの英文は繋がっているように思いますが、 「何かがあるに違いない」の何かとは何でしょうか?

• 次の英文と英単語を訳してください。

簡単な英文と単語なのですが、うまく訳すことができないので、助けてください。お願いします。 1. recycling old jokes 2. The green room. Create an eco-smart living space and wake up to a better environment. 3. concerned with, or not causing harm to, the environment 4. Think Green 5. green technology 6. environmentally correct 7. Consumer activist Ralph Nader is urging the U.S.government to buy “green”. He says the Federal Government can set an example by spending money on environmentally friendly products. He says that could lead the way for the development of cleaner cars, more recycled paper and other improvements and Nader says it won't cost more. 8. I just found out that Prime Minister Obuchi had a stroke! Duh! Where have you been? Hiding in a cave for a month? 9. Is that your final answer? 以上なのですが、よろしくお願いします。

• 東大の英文。

次の東大の英文の大意は参考書に載って居るのですが、大意は飽くまで大意で有って、分かり難かったです。 沢山の日本語を使って、以下の英文を訳して貰えませんでしょうか? We all agree that the aim of education is to fit the child for life;however, there are as many opinions as to how that fitting is to be done as there are men to hold them.For example,fully half of our teachers cannot see that imagination is the root of all civilization. Like love, imagination may very fairly be said to ‘make the world go round,’ but, as it works out of sight, it is given very little credit for what it performs. (東大) 是非是非宜しくお願い申し上げ致します!