• 締切済み

この英文の意味を教えてください

In an interview with CBS television, aired on Monday, Obama said he doesn't want to speculate on hypotheticals, but said the "T's are crossed and the I's are dotted in terms of what might happen." という文章で、 T's are crossed and the I's are dotted ってどういう意味ですか? http://www.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/22_14.html

• 英語
  • 回答数6
  • ありがとう数1

みんなの回答

• ddeana
  • ベストアンサー率74% (2976/4019)
回答No.6

似たようなidiomを見つけました。 ”Dot all the i's and cross all the t's” http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/dot+all+the+i%27s+and+cross+all+the+t%27s.html これは「何かを注意深く慎重に行う」という意味ですから、googoo1956様の回答でよろしいのではないかと思います。

• zatousan
  • ベストアンサー率55% (156/282)
回答No.5

No3です。 深読みし過ぎました。 自分の回答を撤回し、 No4さまのご回答に1票入れます。

• googoo1956
  • ベストアンサー率47% (623/1316)
回答No.4

>T's are crossed and the I's are dotted ってどういう意味ですか?  「細かい点まで細心の注意を払って準備している」という意味だと思います。ご参考になれば・・・。

• zatousan
  • ベストアンサー率55% (156/282)
回答No.3

T's are crossed and the I's are dotted in terms of what might happen. 「これから起こるかもしれないことに関していえば、Tの横線はひかれ、Iの点は打たれた。」 起こるかも知れないこと=北朝鮮のハワイへのミサイル攻撃。 Obama said he doesn't want to speculate on hypotheticalsだけど、、。 するとしたら、オバマがしようとしているのは、anti-missile systems。 そのtとiを、もう書き終えている、つまりhe had directed the deployment of anti-missile systems in the Pacific region, including advanced radar。 という事です。

noname#111034
noname#111034
回答No.2

リンク先をみると,北朝鮮問題で発言した一節ですね。 これから何が起きるかという観点からいえば, "t" という文字は,縦棒を書いてから横棒を書き, "i" という文字は,縦棒を書いてから点をうつ。 が直訳です。北朝鮮の出方によってはアメリカも強硬策をとる,という比喩なんでしょうか? わかりません。

回答No.1

CBSテレビでオバマ大統領が何か否定的な問題に却下されているような文章ですが?それ以上のことは、不明です。ごめんなさい。

関連するQ&A

• i'sとt'sの意味がわかりません

マイナースポーツ選手の契約についてのエージェントの働きを皮肉まじりに解説しているのですが、この部分(the i's are dotted and t's are crossed in the contracts)の意味がわかりません。 Their agents are working diligently to make sure they're getting paid the maximum amount of money from sponsors. They also make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed in the contracts to protect them and their interests. ぜひアドバイスお願い致します。

• TとI

You think him crossed every “T”and dotted every “I”. TとIの意味を教えて下さい。

• この英文は何を言いたいのですか?

以下の文ですが、老人は孤独だから、女よりも話し相手が欲しいのだ、と言いたいのですか? それが老人の知恵だと言いたいのでしょうか? どうも、何を言いたいのか、よく分かりません。外国のメル友が送ってくれました。メル友にとってはimpressiveな内容なんだろうと思います。 解説的に説明して頂けませんか。宜しくお願いします。 Here's a guy in his 70's who loves to fish. He was sitting in his boat the other day when he heard a voice say, 'Pick me up.' He looked around and couldn't see anyone. He thought he was dreaming when he heard the voice say again,'Pick me up.' He looked in the water and there, floating on the top, was a frog. The man said, 'Are you talking to me?' The frog said, 'Yes, I'm talking to you. Pick me up, then kiss me; and I'll turn into the most beautiful woman you have ever seen. I'll make sure that all your friends are envious and jealous, because I will be your bride!' The man looked at the frog for a short time, reached over, picked it up carefully and placed it in his shirt pocket. The frog said, 'What, are you nuts? Didn't you hear what I said? I said, "Kiss me, and I will be your beautiful bride."' He opened his pocket, looked at the frog and said, 'Nah. At my age, I'd rather have a talking frog.' With age comes wisdom.

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで注文をしようとしたら下記のような注意書きがありました。すみませんが意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 I wanted to follow up on our conversation. I know with our factory, their NY orders are shipped and arrive in LA by March so I wanted to see whether you are interested in AAA

• 英文の意味を教えてください。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入しました。送料の事で相手から返事がきました。すみませんが意味を教えてください。お願いします。 I have the prices for you with Fedex: Priority Service: 111 Economy Service: 000 I have fount nothing cheaper. All couriers are around the same price and if I am honest I trust Fedex most. Here are the weight's and dimensions for you to check on your part (dimensions are in centimetres): <商品サイズ> Let me know please once you have found out the price.

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい

KING: Marcia, what was your reaction to the settlement? MARCIA LEWIS, PLAINTIFF IN SETTLEMENT SAYS PRIEST SEXUALLY ABUSED HER FROM AGE 7-14: Actually, when we were downstairs coming up, I ran into Mr. Boucher and I said I'm waiting for you to tell me that the ink is drying before I get excited about it. And he said, well, it's OK. 以上出典は以下の通りです。 CNN LARRY KING LIVE The L.A. Catholic Archdiocese Settlement of Sexual Abuse Cases Aired July 16, 2007 - 21:00 ET 質問ですが that the ink is drying before I get excited about it は如何いう意味ですか? 又何かの例えでしょうか?

• 英文の意味がよく分かりません。

航海日誌のような文章です。 In June and July, the fogs are relatively low and peaks on the island may appear, but in August and September it may be possible to make out the coast while the upper slopes are enveloped in fog. 特にpeaks on the island may appear とmake out the coast の意味が不明です。

• この英文を、同じ意味でかきかえていただきたいです。

Annibale Carracci’s artwork, The Coronation of the Virgin – 1590-1609, this piece of the soul and the mind. This picture grabbed my attention because it is one of the few paintings in which God, Jesus, and Mary are represented as “equals”, because of their sizes. The arrangement of the figures, and the colors implemented by the artist were other elements that interested me. In the following essay I will discuss the subject matter of the painting, and the technique used, as well as a brief discussion of the features that identify this artwork with the time period when it was painted. In this painting Mary is being crowned by Jesus and God, after her ascension to heaven. This action is taking place in heaven, because angels that are sitting in the background and also clouds closer to the border of the painting surround the three main figures. Jesus, Mary, and God are the main figures. In the center, Mary extends her arms as if welcoming a son/daughter or family member and her face expresses tranquility and acceptance. To her right is Jesus, who lifts His right hand to hold the crown, and His face shows kindness and respect. On Mary’s left, is God, who raises His left hand to hold the other side of the crown that is being placed on Mary’s head. God’s face also shows kindness towards Mary, and as the Father and the Son put the crown on Mary’s head, the Holy Spirit, represented as a dove, descends over her. Crowds of angels sit in order, one on the side of the other, around the semicircular theater in the background of the painting, and others, closer to the viewer’s point of view, are represented playing instruments and holding books, as if they were singing. In the center small human figures are shown, one of them holding a scroll as if they were asking Mary to intercede for them before God. Organization, light, and clothing are important elements of this representation, because they make a reference to the style under which it was created. On “The Coronation of the Virgin,” figures form three triangles. The first and smallest one is formed by Mary’s head and extended arms. Jesus and God’s arms and bellies form the second triangle. The third and biggest triangle starts on the Holy Spirit and extends from both sides to the two low corners of the painting. Triangles may serve as reference to the Holy family and also to the Trinity, which are formed by three figures, the same as triangles have three angles and sides. The organization of the figures in this painting make reference to the High Renaissance where the arrangement of the figures played an important role in the meaning and message that the artist was seeking to convey. This painting is also full of light and color, which bring to this picture a sense of natural appearance, characteristic of the Byzantine and High Renaissance, and also of the Baroque. Clothing is another important element of this painting for it is a reminder of the Classical revival. The colors of the draperies are very basic; blue and pink on Mary’s drapery, white on God and Jesus, and red on two angels in the right corner of the painting, and some green in the center, and a lot of yellow in the background. Another important feature that relates this painting with the style the artist implemented is the body types, especially in Jesus and God. Jesus is shown as having Byzantine facial features, and a classical body type, where muscles and a well shaped body are visible. Also God’s body has been idealized, due to the fact that His body looks as young as His son’s body; giving to this picture a characteristic usually seen during the classical period.

• 英文で分からないところがあるので教えてください。

今、海外のペンパルと文通していのですが、自信がないので英文が合っているかどうか教えてください。間違いがあったら正しい英文を教えてください。それと翻訳機では、通じなかったので今回は、翻訳機を使用せず、辞書で調べて書きました。 1. 卒業、おめでとう。私は、貴女のブログで卒業式の写真について拝見したいです。だから私は、MSNのメッセンジャーに登録します。 I congratulate you on your graduation. I’d like to see your blog(your graduation ceremony’s pics). So I’ll register MSN’s messenger. 2.貴女は、「私に論文が国際会議に採用された」と言いましたね。凄いです。貴女は、天才です。 You said to me,” I have to tell you I was working on a article and it was accepted in a international conference! “ You are very wonderful! You are genius! 3.貴女は、「先生に博士課程に進むよう言われた」と言いましたね。凄いですね。すみませんが、私は、博士課程に進んだ経験がないです。だから貴女が博士課程に進むべきかわからないです。 You said to me, “Teacher proposed me to go on studying and take a PhD.” It’s very great! Sorry, I don’t get PhD. So I don ‘know it. 4.貴女は「お兄さん夫妻に赤ちゃんができた」と言いましたね。おめでとう。いつ出産予定ですか? You said to me, “my brother and his wife are waiting for a baby”. Congratulation! When is your brother’s wife going to have a baby? 5.私は、休みに本を読んだり、テレビなどを見たりして過ごしました。貴女は、「彼氏とプラハとベルリンに行く」と言いましたね。旅行、楽しんできてください。 My holiday was… I read books, watched TV,etc… You said to me, “ I and my boyfriend will travel Praha and Berlin.”  Please enjoy your travel!

• 英文和訳

When a cloud of toxic gas escaped from a U.S. factory in Bhopal,India,in 1984,killing thousands of people,Americans said it couldn't happen at home. という文で、 When a cloud of toxic gas escaped from a U.S. factory in Bhopal,India,in 1984, の部分は、 「1984年にインドのボパールにあるアメリカの工場で毒ガスの煙が流出した時、」 と訳せたのですが、残りの部分とどうもうまくつながりません。 自分では、 killing thousands of people, 「何千という人々を殺して、」 Americans said it couldn't happen at home. 「アメリカ人は本国で起こることができなかったと言った」 となりました。 どなたかアドバイスお願いします。