• ベストアンサー

TIMEの質問-5

連続投稿で失礼します。 下記の文章の最後で、 There was at least one thing we didn't have to worry about, Haile assured me. Pat's kidney doctor, Peter Smolens, would keep treating him even if he couldn't pay. Smolens, a thin, soft-spoken man, later told me that about 10% of his patients have inadequate insurance or none at all. He has agonized with some as they struggled with hard choices, like whether to have a hospital biopsy or pay their mortgage. As a physician, he said, "you just see them. You know you're not going to get paid." themは何を指すのでしょうか?近辺で見当たるものはchoicesぐらいですが・・・また、訳としては 「それらをただ見ていなさい。支払われないことはわかっているでしょう」と、何のことだかわかりません。後半はもしかして、 「収入がないのだから」かもしれませんが。 勘では、「気にしなくていいよ。お金がなければ」のような気がしますが、正確に読むとどうなるのかわかる方、お願いします。 元記事: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1883149-3,00.html

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • googoo1956
  • ベストアンサー率47% (623/1316)
回答No.2

>themは何を指すのでしょうか?  「them」は「10% of his patients 」を指しています。不十分な健康保険にしか加入していないか、または全く健康保険の加入していない患者のことです。  アメリカでは公的な健康保険がなくて民間の高い健康保険に入るしかないために貧困層の人々が困っているという話を思い出します。大統領選で民主党の候補が訴えていたことですね。 >「それらをただ見ていなさい。支払われないことはわかっているでしょう」と、何のことだかわかりません。  「彼らの状況を見れば、お金を支払えとは言えないことが分かるでしょう」という感じでしょうか。「命令文+and」の構文の変形だと考えれば分かりやすいですね。  なお、ここで用いられている「you」が指しているのは、第1義的には「この医者にインタビューをしてこの記事を書いた記者」のことですが、医者でもない「記者」に対して「you're not going to get paid」というのは少し変な感じがしますね。  英語では、自分のことを含めて一般論を言う時に「you」という主語で表すことがあります。つい「I」とか「we」を用いたくなる日本人にはちょっと分かりにくい感覚です。おそらく「I」や「we」を使うよりも「you」の方が客観性が出るからではないでしょうか。まぁ、ここでは「命令文+and」という言い方を生かしたいということかもしれませんが・・・。  前半の「Peter Smolens, would keep treating him even if he couldn't pay. 」という部分が、この医者の良心的な医者であることを暗示しています。  ご参考になれば・・・。

masaqq
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 この記者の兄が診療費を支払えない患者なので、誤解していました。 おかげさまですっきりしました。

その他の回答 (2)

• edophilia
  • ベストアンサー率39% (64/161)
回答No.3

themは前の2人の回答どおり、10% of his patients。 >"you just see them. You know you're not going to get paid." you は一般の読者を指しています。 (あなた方も私(医師)立場に立ってみれば) あなた方はただその患者を診るだけで、診療費は、まずもらえないことは 分かるでしょうという意味です。 seeは見て調べるで診断すると解釈できるのではないでしょうか。

masaqq
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 youは直接話している記者かなとも思いましたが、その背後の読者も指しているのですね。

• HeyDude
  • ベストアンサー率36% (18/49)
回答No.1

them はSmolens 医師の患者で、保険が不適切だったり無保険の患者のことを指しています。これらの人たちはbiopsyを受けるべきか、住宅ローンを支払うかなどの決定で悩んでる。「彼らを見ているとお金払ってくださいなんて言えません」という意味だと思います。Youを使って表現していますがあなたが私の立場ならきっとそう思うはずということをあらわしています。

masaqq
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 完全に誤読でしたが、よくわかりました

関連するQ&A

• TIMEの質問-4

たびたびお世話になります。 下記の文章についてですが、この健康保険は2500ドルが控除可能というのは、具体的にどういう状況なのでしょうか? 2500ドル以上の医療費については支払います、ということなのでしょうか。よろしくお願いします。 Having bought health insurance that carried a $2,500 deductible, he knew he would have to pay for a checkup himself. 元記事: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1883149,00.html

• 訳してください。

Tell me about a time where you had to deal with bullying at school. 綺麗な訳お願いします。

• 翻訳希望

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたに。 お願いできますでしょうか? ご指摘大歓迎です。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He is good with children and animals, he can take charge of them and has a particular understanding of them. He can amuse and entertain children, and becomes more extrovert and dramatic when playing with them or talking to them. He will exaggerate and put on a show. He will be a happy and generous father or uncle to any children he has. Though they may not see him as he is, just the act he puts on for them. In the past your partner would have had romances in his life, that will have seemed to set his soul on fire. But you will be his most important, his greatest and deepest love of all time. He will feel proud to be with you.

• 英文で質問があります。

(1)At first, the deprivation of having no one to talk with upon subjects that most deeply interested me seemed all but unbearable, but as I became acquainted I made the surprising discovery – I made it again and again in later life – that if I talked with the men and woman I met casually about things that interested them, if I drew them out, I often discovered unexpected riches of character or experience, sometimes the most delightful or amusing oddities or absurdities. (2)Every human being has a story in him – how he has come to be what he is, how he manages, after all, to live, just to live. これらの英文の訳を教えてください。

• 和訳をお願いします。

どなたか、和訳をお願いします。 「Thank you for taking the time to speak with me about your resume and search for new employment opportunities earlier this morning, it was appreciated. As per our conversation, attached you will find the application for employment with △△for you to complete and return to me at your convenience. I will let you know as soon as any other opportunities arise that you may be a good fit for.」

• アメリカの若者からのメールなのですが

アメリカの若者からのメールなのですが このアメリカ人からスノーボードを売ってもらおうと思ってますがよく意味が理解できません。 i dont have pay pal or any of that stuff so if you wanted the boards at this point you would have to send me 350$ for the board and watever the shipping is goin to cost me. as soon as you can do that i can give you a address to send the money too then ill send you the board 特にこの部分なのですが watever the shipping is goin to cost me. 教えてください。お願致します。 送料がわかるまで待っていれば良いのでしょうか?

• 日々の出来事を、日記風に書いて英作文の勉強をしています。添削をお願いしたいのです。よろしくお願いいたします。

Hi, my Crystal! I am happy you are there. I have a story that I want to talk about. I saw two orchids in front of a new shop. At that time they were in a trash bag and weak. I understood they were gift to the new shop for celebration of opening. A young guy were cleaning up there. I asked him “Do you dump them? Can you give them to me?” He answered “Yes! Would you like to keep them?" He took out and planted them to a pot again. He said to me “Thank you so much!” And I said to him "Thank you" too. I felt I went to there at that time for meeting them. (あの時間に、あの場所に行ったのは、偶然ではあるけれども、会うためだったのかもしれない....こんな思いを文章に書きたいのですが、難しい!) Now they are in our office and I am very glad they got well. Everyday I can see their beautiful flowers! I am going to see them at soon, because I am now in a train heading to the office. I have to get off the next station. Have a nice day, my Crysta!

• よろしくお願いします

Dear Annie: I am a healthy, strong teenager who goes to a great school. I have a roof over my head and food on the table, but there is one problem: I'm transgender, and my parents refuse to accept me. I came out to them about three years ago as gay, before I fully understood what was going on in my head. They told me how strongly they felt it was wrong and that they would not accept me. A year later, when I realized that what I was feeling was a desire to just be one of the guys, I knew I couldn't tell them. I started going by a new name at school, presenting myself as a male there and trying my best to hide it from them, but as all things do at this time in your life, it found its way to my parents. They confronted me about it and told me how upset they were, and ever since, they have been making sure I know that at home, I will never be a boy. Sometimes I have dreams in which they finally accept me, and when I wake up and realize I've been dreaming, I start crying. This has worsened the depression I have struggled with for about half my life, and meeting with my therapist isn't helping very much. I don't know what to do. -- Disconcerted in Distress Dear Disconcerted in Distress: I am so sorry to hear you're struggling with depression. Though your parents might not be able to offer you the understanding and acceptance you seek, there are trusted adults who can. I strongly encourage you to reach out to The Trevor Project, a wonderful organization dedicated to helping LGBTQ youths. Call its hotline (866-488-7386) anytime to speak to a counselor about what you're experiencing. He or she can also connect you to resources in your area. For more information (or to chat with a counselor online, if you prefer instant messaging to a phone call), visit https://www.thetrevorproject.org. As lonely as things might feel right now, I promise that you are not alone. as all things do at this time in your life, it found its way to my parents. の和訳を教えてください。あと、As lonely as things might feel right now,の意味と訳し方の決まりを教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• thatについて・・・

Sounds like a request (or a request with pressure) like it may be a suprise party, something else mysterious or that you have something unpleasant to discuss with them. これらは英語で書かれた本に書かれていた文です。 that you have something unplesant to discuss with them について質問があります。冒頭のthatは関係詞だと思うのですが、何にかかるのでしょうか?

• thatについて

Sounds like a request (or a request with pressure) like it may be a suprise party, something else mysterious or that you have something unpleasant to discuss with them. これは英語で書かれた本に書かれていた文です。 that you have something unplesant to discuss with them について質問があります。冒頭のthatは関係詞だと思うのですが、何にかかるのでしょうか?