• ベストアンサー

Sunday and on Sunday

Chinese media railed against the Dalai Lama and his supporters Saturday and pledged to crush any campaign seeking independence for Tibet ahead of a meeting between Beijing and envoys of the exiled spiritual leader. - 中略 - Prime Minister Samdhong Rinpoche of the India-based Tibetan government-in-exile said envoys are scheduled to arrive in Hong Kong on Saturday and travel to the neighboring city of Shenzhen for meetings to begin Sunday. ダライラマの代表団と中国当局の会談についての記事です。 この英文の中の曜日に on がつくときと on がつかないときがあります。教えてください(´_`。)

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • taked4700
  • ベストアンサー率37% (777/2050)
回答No.1

>この英文の中の曜日に on がつくときと on がつかないときがあります これは結構よく見られることです。 基本はon Sunday のように、onをつけて使うのです。しかし、先週の日曜日とか、今度の日曜日のように、決まった曜日(特定の日)の時には、特定の日付を表す一種の固有名詞のように、onをつけないで使うことが出来ます。つまり、onをつけずに使えると言うだけで、つけることもできます。ニュアンスは、onを付けない方が、多少、きびきびした感じになると思います。 よって、「彼は毎週日曜日にテニスをする」のような場合は、特定の日付けではないので、He plays tennis on Sundays. のようにonを使います。 ただ、自動詞と一緒に使う場合は、on が付くことが多いように思います。 また、Sunday morning のように、午前、午後と言う場合は、onがつかないと言うことがあります。これは、やはり、特定の時と言う感覚が出るからでしょう。

kochouran6
質問者

お礼

文全体を読んでみましたが、その間にもちょこちょこと onがついてたり ついてなかったりしてました。 taked4700さんの説明していただいたことに気をつけながら見てみたところ、次の土曜日にきまってるとか 次の日曜日にきまってる文章には onがついてませんでした。 ありがとうございました(´_`。)

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

副詞的に用いるときは on をつけない、と解釈できると思います。 tomorrow などは名詞でもあり副詞でもあります。 それと同じように on なしで用いることができるということと思います。 the day after tomorrow も day after tomorow と the 無しで用いるときもあります。その場合は副詞的に用いていると考えられます。

kochouran6
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました(´_`。)

関連するQ&A

• なぜ外国人はDalai Lamaとモンゴル語で彼を呼ぶのか

Seven Years In Tibet に以下のような文章が有りました。 We were told that the name Dalai Lama is not used in Tibet at all. It is a Mongolian expression "Broad Ocean". Naturally the Dalai Lama is reffered to as the "Gaylpo Rimpoche", which means "Treasured king". His parents and brotehrs use another title in speaking of him. They call him "Kundun," which simply means "Presence." チベット人は私たちが言うダライ・ラマのことを、ギャンポ・リンポシュ(?)と呼ぶらしいのですが、なぜ外国人は彼のことをダライ・ラマと呼ぶようになったのでしょうか? 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• AS THEY ARE

ダライラマ14世に関する記事です。 This determination to be completely empirical - as if he were a doctor of the mind pledged to examine things only as they are, to come up with a clear diagnosis and then to suggest a practical response - is one of the things that have made the current Dalai Lama such a startling and tonic figure on the world stage. 完全に経験から言えば、この決断は - まるで彼が心のドクターで pledged to examine things only as they are, はっきりした診断を下し、実用的な対処を勧めるため - 現在のダライラマを世界的に驚くべき強壮な人物にしたもののひとつである。 ここの pledged to examine things only as they areという部分を訳してみると、"ものごとをあるがままに試験することを保証するとなってしまい、しっくりきません。 どなたか教えてください(´_`。)

• off-and-on about

I am in the middle of a divorce from my husband of almost 10 years. I had an affair with an out-of-state co-worker toward the end of my marriage and developed feelings for him. In the meantime, my co-worker has been off-and-on about the status of our relationship, and I ended up sleeping with a colleague during a work trip. off-and-on about the status of our relationshipはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 、 、 、 and

「To skeptics 、to lovers of order and hierarchy in human affairs、to those who disttust ordinary human beings when they are not held on tight reins,democracy in America has been a paradox.」 で 名詞 カンマ名詞は 同格という印象があるのですが この場合は同格にはみえません ただ 同格でない場合に並べるときは To skeptics 、to lovers of order and hierarchy in human affairs 「and 」to those who disttust ordinary human beings when they are not held on tight reins とカンマ カンマ and が原則だと思うのですが ここで andでなく最後までカンマを用いているのは なにか意味があることなのでしょうか? あと文法的に(大学受験レベル)正しいのでしょうか? もしよくみかけるとしたらどのくらいの頻度ででてくるのでしょうか? たびたびですが ご教示よろしくお願いいたしますm(..;))m ペコペコ・・・

• heap on

"In the central granary of the government, new grain was heaped on top of the old until the building was full and the grain overflowed and piled up outside, where it spoiled and became unfit to eat." heap onってなんですか?

• and on thatについて

お世話になっております。 以下の文についてお教え頂けないでしょうか。 If this happens again and on that occasion you do not have sufficient cash to pay for the treatment, ~. (1) on that occasion を文法的にどう考えたらよろしいのでしょうか? (2) occasionとyouの間に何かが省略されているのでしょう? いくら考えてもわかりませんでした。 平易にご教授いただければありがたいです。

• on the market

I’m in a long-term relationship with a woman (both mid-20s) and on good terms with her family. I’m currently on the market for a car, and my girlfriend’s father offered to sell me his old car, in great running condition, for a deep discount. on the market for a carはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• andで困る

The first court to hear cases and deliver sentences solely for children , however, was established in 1899 in Chicago. andがどことどこをつなげているか分かりません。 The first court to hear casesが主語で、andのすぐ後のdeliverが動詞? どうにも分からずに困っております。 教えてください。

• 再度Bring it on.

http://okweb.jp/kotaeru.php3?qid=797472 の続きです。 'Bring it on' Senator Kerry told his cheering supporters at a Manchester hotel it had been a "successful and happy campaign". Interrupted by chants of "Bring it on", Senator Kerry retorted: "I intend to".  この場合、「かかってこい!」の訳で良いんでしょうか?だとすると、"I intend to".を完全な文にするとto以下はどうなりますでしょうか?

• and の意味

「We were able to bring in all the tradition and history of the sport, and work with a talented young sculptor on the creation of the trophy as the symbol of the championship series and really a symbol of the sport.」という文があります。カンマの後の「and」を 「だから」と訳すと筋が通ります。 「このスポーツの歴史と伝統を持ち込めたから、このスポーツの トロフィーを作れた」と。 実際のところどうなのでしょうか? くわしい方いらっしゃいましたらご教示下さい。