• ベストアンサー

手紙の一番初めで

英検2級の対策みたいな参考書で 手紙の文の一番初めに 「私の名前は~で、…と呼んで下さい」 という文だと思うのですが My name is Thomas Lewis, but you can call me Tom. とありました。 なぜここでbutが使われているんですか? 「私はトーマスですが、(トーマスと呼ばずに)トムと呼んでいいですよ」 ということでしょうか。 また他にどんな表現があるか教えてください。 お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.1

はじめまして。 このbutは逆接「しかし」という意味はなく、軽いandのようなニュアンスで用いられている接続詞です。 次のような例も同様です。 例: Excuse me, but please pass me~. 「すみませんが、~をとって下さい」 このbutも逆接の意味はなく、会話上の軽いつなぎの働きをしています。 日本語でも「が」という助詞を、軽いつなぎに使うことはよくあります。 例: 「私がAですが、ご用件は何でしょう」 この「が」は逆接用法ではなく、軽い順接用法です。 ご質問の意味を訳すと、 「僕はThomas Lewisって名だけど、Tomって呼んでね」 ぐらいの意味で、軽く文のつなぎに使われているbutです。 以上ご参考までに。

関連するQ&A

• 添削お願いします。

英語の自己紹介文です。 ビデオレターで送らなくてはいけないのですが… 添削よろしくお願いいたします。 Let me introduce myself. My name is ***. But please call me (あだ名) because the chinese character for my name is (漢字で自分の名前が書いてある紙を見せながら) this. In japanese, this pronunces (本名). But also pronunces (あだ名). My hobby is ristening to music. Above all, (好きなグループ名) are most interesting for me. If you know these groups, let's talk about it with me!! And I'm pretty good at Japanese calligraphy. I'm trying hard to become a "Shihan" or an instracter. I am not very good at English. But I am going to try to communicate with you as hard as I can. So feel free to talk to me. I am looking forward to the day which can meet you. That's all. Thank you!! よろしくお願いします。

• I my me ・・・について

I my me ・・・について 小学5年に、英検5級レベルを教えています。 I my me につまずいていて、どう教えたらいいものか悩んでおります。 表に I    my   me    you your you 等全部書いて、教えましたが、私の教え方が悪いため、理解しません。 たとえば、あなたは~を持っているというのを、your have と思ったり( you haveなのですが) 彼の名前という単語を、his nameか him nameか悩んだり、 混同しているみたいです。 どう教えたら理解するかアドバイスお願いします。 左端の列は、主語で、~はと訳す、真ん中の列は、~のと訳す、右端は~をと訳すと教えましたが、こんがらがるみたいです。

• 助けて下さい!(別れた彼への手紙)

別れた彼への謝罪のメールなのですが、どうしても正しく相手にこの文の意味を伝えたいんです。 長文で申し訳ありませんが、適切でない表現、またはより良い表現、等お気づきの点ございましたら訂正して頂けませんでしょうか? また、私のこのメッセージは心のこもった(心から反省している)文に見えますか? 私なりにかなり考えた文なのですが、彼はネイティブで私は英語のニュアンスがあまり分からないので不安です。 英語の得意な方にどうしても読んでいただきたくて、投稿しました。 よろしくお願い致します。 (ちなみに振られた原因は、彼が私の気持ちを感じられなくてこの関係に疲れた、というものでした。) 「あなたは本当に思いやりがあって、いつも私を喜ばせようと頑張ってくれたのに、そして実際私に幸せな気持ちをいっぱいくれたのに、私は自分を守ることしか考えずにあなたに私の気持ちを見せることを怖がって、それでも耐えてくれるあなたの優しさに甘えるばかりだった。それはすべて私の我儘でエゴだったと思う。そのことであなたを傷つけてしまった。あなたに居心地の良い環境を作れなかった。 とても悪かったと思っています。本当にごめんなさい。 あなたは素晴らしい人でした。とても感謝しています。 あなたの幸せを祈っています。」 「I appreciate that you were always thoughful to me and trying to make me happy. And actually, you did always make me happy. But I was just protecting myself by not showing my feeling, though you have been patient with me and kept presenting me happy feeling. I have just enjoyed your tenderness. Now, I think it was all my ego and I have been just selfish. I hurt your feeling. I did not make you feel comfortable with me. I’m so sorry that my behavior made you hurt. I feel awful. You are a wonderful guy great in inside and out. I thank you for everything you have done for me. I wish you all the best.」

• canの用法?

NHKラジオ英会話講座より A:Take out those earphones when you talk to me! B:But this connects me to my cellphone. A:Well,make your choise. You can talk to me or you can talk to your phone.「どちらかにして、私と話すか、携帯電話と話すか。」 B:Hold on a sec. I have a call coming in. (質問)[You can talk to me or you can talk to your phone.]の[can]についてお尋ねします。 (質問1)canのフィーリングがつかめません。蓋然性・可能性「~ありうる」だと思いますが、能力「~できる」とも取れます。何かこの感じがつかむ方法はないでしょうか? (質問2)命令文にして[Please talk to me or talk to your phone.]では同じ表現にはならないでしょうか? 何度も同じ様な質問ですみません。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• 中2からの質問。come toって?

えっと、今日中間テストがあったんですけど、 ちょっと意味がわからない問題があったので、お願いします。 トムは、美紀の家に電話をかけています。 Miki:Hello? Tom :Hello,Miki. This is Tom. I'm going to play tennis with Shin this afternoon. Why don't you come? Miki:Sorry,I want to play tennis, but I have a plan. Tom :What is it? Miki:I will go shopping because tomorrow is my father's birthday. Tom :I see. What time will you come home? Miki:I don't know. Tom :OK. Shin and I are going to meet at two. If you can come,please call me. Miki:OK. Bye. 訳 もしもし。 もしもし、ミキ。こちらはトムです。私は今日の午後、シンとテニスをします。あなたもきてはどうですか。 すみませんが、私はテニスをしたいのですが、計画があるのです。 それは何ですか。 明日、父の誕生日なので、買い物に行くのです。 なるほど。???????? わかりません。 わかった。シンと私は2時に会うつもりです。もしくることができるならば、私に電話してください。 OK。バイバイ って訳だと思うのですが・・ 問題 「I don't know.」のあとに省略されている内容を日本語で書きなさい。 という問題があるのですが・・。 自分が書いた訳に、???????って書いているところありますよね。そこの訳がわからないんです。 What time will you come home? ってところなんですけど、 中間テストではこの問題(I don't know.の続き)に、 私は「何時に家に帰るか」わかりません。 と書きました。 文の意味がわからにと思うので、簡単に書くと、 What time will you come home? の訳は、 あなたは何時に家に帰りますか。 または、 あなたは何時に家に来ますか。 のどちらですか? 自分が あなたは何時に家に帰りますか。 のほうを選んだわけは、テニスは家でするものではないからと思ったからです。

• 対話文です

次の対話文の[   ]に入れるのに最も適切なものを.ア~エの中から1つ選んでください (1)  Father: Can I take your picture. Tom? Tom : Sure. Father. But why? Father: I`ll show it to your grandmother when I see her tomorrow. [ ] Tom : Yes. of course. Say hello to her for me. ア Do you think it`s a good idea? イ Do you think she has a good idea? ウ Will you give me her picture? エ Will you take her picture? すみませんが.お願いいたします!

• 歌詞を日本語に訳してください!

翻訳サイトにかけてみても変な日本語に なってしまい困っています。 長いですが翻訳してほしいです(><) よろしくお願いします。 RED/pieces I'm here again A thousand miles away from you A broken mess, just scattered pieces of who I am I tried so hard Thought I could do this on my own I've lost so much along the way Then I'll see your face I know I'm finally yours I find everything I thought I lost before You call my name I come to you in pieces So you can make me whole I've come undone But you make sense of who I am Like puzzle pieces in your eye Then I'll see your face I know I'm finally yours I find everything I thought I lost before You call my name I come to you in pieces So you can make me whole! I tried so hard! So hard! I tried so hard! Then I'll see your face I know I'm finally yours I find everything I thought I lost before You call my name I come to you in pieces So you can make me whole So you can make me whole

• 英語の手紙

海外の好きなアニメーターにポストカードを出します。 彼とは去年一度手紙のやりとりがありました。 久しぶりに手紙を書きます。英語なので、心配です。 おかしいところがあったら教えていただけますでしょうか? ↓ Mr ××   How have you been? The earthqake was terrible, but I can spend daily life with my family and friends now. I have treasury the letter you sent me last year. Thank you for the important word `Don't forget that the content of it is even more important than the design.' I will make good animation next. I hope that i go to Belgium this year. Take care of your self. Best regards, Akari

• 英語の手紙和訳お願いします

happy birthday aki   I'm not sure this leteer cold arrive in your birthday or not,rather, I should have began writing earlier... Anyway congratulation!! I'm glad you become 21 years old because I can drink with you in the United States.Don't you think so? What?You never drink?Come on!! when will you be ready!? No orange juice! You have to try! or I can't wait forever ! Yeah,that kidding ^^ Of course I know you hate alcohol, so I  seut a birthday present that's not kind of alcohol. I beleive you'll like it. If it's difficult to use for you or you have any guestions about my present, you can ask me!! Because, I've already  researched it and  I know it a lot even though I don't have it!! Hahaha!! Are you with me? Maybe You don't know what is what ^^; It's been about 7 month since I came to Los Angeles. My English skill is still poor, and that's why I'm confusing now... Don't care about my work . Everything is good. I'm learning many things little by little from my father and brother. They teach me kindly, so I'm really grateful to them. Perhaps you also have some worries . But , nobody has no worry. we have to overcome with making effort, and our efforts will be reworded. But , please let me help you when you feel down and help me when I feel down...ok? I really miss you and I hope I'll go back to Japan soon. But as you know , I have full of schedule ... it's almost working and school ... Instead, you can eat anything you want and go anywhere you want when I go back to Japan! So, please wait for me with great patience. 数年前大切な人からもらった手紙です。 どなたか意味を教えていただけませんか? よろしくお願いします!

• お礼の手紙

今日外国の方との交流会があったので、そのお礼の手紙を英語で送りたいのですが、どう書けばいいのか分からないので添削していただけないでしょうか? Dear ~. I enjoyed the wonderful time today! I had a great experience with you. Thank you so much. My English is very poor, but I'm glad that you understood my broken English. I want to study English more, and I want to talk more in English. Thank you very much in various for me today. Bye. 今日はとても楽しかったです。 あなたのおかげで、いい体験ができました。 私の英語はとてもつたなかったですが、あなたが理解してくれたことがとてもうれしかったです。 これからはもっと英語を勉強して、もっと英語で話せるようになりたいです。 今日は本当にいろいろとありがとうございました。 あと、英語の手紙の場合は自分の名前はどこに書いたらいいのでしょうか?