• ベストアンサー

訳にかんして

He was released after three weeks pending a legal challenge over the way the sheriff had directed the jury. この文章中にでているpending がよくわかりません。調べてみると、前置詞でtillと似ているとかいたありますが。after と till が同じセンテンスに出た場合どう訳すんでしょうか?~までに~した後?? ようは彼は解放されたんですよね?でも詳細がわかりません。 よくわかりません!誰か教えてください!

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • akijake
  • ベストアンサー率43% (431/992)
回答No.2

2つの意味に取れそうです。 #1さんがおっしゃるように、pendingが前の文章全体にかかると考える場合、 もうひとつは ~の訴訟の結果が出るまで3週間待った後、彼は釈放された。 です。 pending は結果が出るまで待っているというニュアンスがあります。 2つめの解釈では、3週間後に結果が出たのか出ないのかがいまいちはっきり判りませんが、訴訟が3週間ペンディングされた後に釈放されたのはわかります。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• Hideto123
  • ベストアンサー率30% (126/420)
回答No.1

自信はないんですが・・・・、 pending は法廷などで係争中の という意味で、 保安官が陪審員を(ある判決を出すように)誘導したやり方に関する 法的な異議申し立ては係争中のまま、彼は3週間後に釈放された。 という意味ではありませんか??

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

My boyfriend of the past three months recently received an email from a long-ago ex-girlfriend, who apologized for the way things had ended and wanted to catch up with him. She was the love of his life in college and shortly after. http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/advice/article/Carolyn-Hax-Boyfriend-got-email-from-the-one-who-11949944.php My boyfriend of the past three monthsとはどのような意味でしょうか?また、had endedと過去完了が使われている理由を教えてください。あと、最後のセンテンスの和訳をよろしくお願いします。よろしくお願いします

• この英文の訳はこれでいいでしょうか?

下記の英文にある"this way"とは "a woman of twenty-eight"という表現を指しています。一応、ことばを加えながら訳してみましたが、英文の内容とあっているのでしょうか? 2. The preposition “of” can only be used this way when the relationship between two nouns is being shown after the noun that is the subject. “Of” is not used this way to show the relationship between a pronoun and a noun or a noun that is the subject of a sentence. These are wrong: I am of wealth.   Everest is of much snow. 前置詞“of”が”a woman of twenty-eight”のような形でつかわれるのは、主語(名詞)の後ろに2つの名詞(意味を補助する関係にある)が続いた場合だけです。 1つの代名詞または1つの名詞が文の主語となる名詞の意味を補助をするために“of”が使われることはありません。つまり下記の英文は間違いです。

• 自然な日本語訳でおねがいします。

.......and when by chance the conversation turned upon the Greek tragedians, a subject upon which Hayward felt he spoke with authority, he had assumed the air that it was his part to give information rather than to exchange ideas. Weeks had listened politely, with smiling modesty, till Hayward finished; then he asked one or two insidious questions, so innocent in appearance that Hayward, not seeing into what a quandary they led him, answered blandly; Weeks made a courteous objection, then a correction of fact, after that a quotation from some little known Latin commentator, then a reference to a German authority; and the fact was disclosed that he was a scholar. With smiling ease, apologetically, Weeks tore to pieces all that Hayward had said; with elaborate civility he displayed the superficiality of his attainments. He mocked him with gentle irony. Philip could not help seeing that Hayward looked a perfect fool, . . . .

• 英文和訳の質問です

次の文は、 “Fatheralong” というエッセイで、 John Edger Wideman によるものです。ここで、1955年のエメット・ティルという黒人少年の有名な虐殺事件が扱われております。 http://billtotten.blogspot.jp/2009/12/fatheralong.html 私が知りたいのは、文中の次の箇所です。 Morning Star complimented ("Fair Trial Was Credit to Mississippi"), ここで、モーニング・スター紙は、差別主義者側に立って、純粋に裁判を賛美しているのでしょうか、それとも、痛烈な批判として、裁判と、背後のミシシッピー州を逆説的に批判しているのでしょうか。 判断理由と共に、どなたかお教えいただけませんか。 In November 1955, approximately six weeks after a trial that found World War Two veterans - J W Milam and his brother-in-law Roy Bryant - not guilty of murdering Emmett Till, a trial that the Cleveland Post and Call derided ("Mississippi Jungle Law Frees Slayers of Child") and the Greenwood, Mississippi, Morning Star complimented ("Fair Trial Was Credit to Mississippi"), the state of Mississippi, compelled by the testimony of a sheriff during the trial that Milam and Bryant admitted to him they had taken Emmett Till from his great-uncle Moses Wright's home, sought indictments against the two men for kidnapping. Parties unknown leaked to the press that Emmett Till's father, Mamie Till's husband, Louis, far from being the martyred war hero portrayed in Northern papers during the trial, had been hanged by the US Army for committing rape and murder.

• 英語でどういう言い方すればいいですか?

英語で、「ライブラリーで4時まで勉強していて、それから帰るつもりだったが、帰りに歩いている途中で友達に会ってしまい、無理やり誘われて、映画に行くはめになった。それでもすぐに帰りたかったから、映画の途中で帰ってきた」と口語で(フレンドリーな感じで)いいたいんです。 i was studying till four at the library, and i was going home after that, but i saw my friend on my way to home, and i had to go to the movie. but i still didn't want to watch the movie, i went home during the movie. これでいいのでしょうか? どこを正せばよいでしょうか?教えてください。

• strained

Many years ago, I was in the U.S. military. I was sent to Southeast Asia and served three six-month tours. On my last tour, I suspected my wife had an affair, but I had no proof. While I was in training for a job after I was released from active duty, I heard that my wife had spent the night with one of the men from the base. I confronted her, but she lied to me; her good friend eventually told me the truth. I believe she was faithful to me after that for maybe 15 years. But our relationship was strained. strainedは辞書にそれらしい意味がなかったのですが、どのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

The Second Battle of Gaza was fought between 17 and 19 April 1917, following the defeat of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force (EEF) at the First Battle of Gaza in March, during the Sinai and Palestine Campaign of the First World War. Gaza was defended by the strongly entrenched Ottoman Army garrison, which had been reinforced after the first battle by substantial forces. They manned the town's defences and a line of strong redoubts which extended eastwards along the road from Gaza to Beersheba. The defenders were attacked by Eastern Force's three infantry divisions, supported by two mounted divisions, but the strength of the defenders, their entrenchments, and supporting artillery decimated the attackers.As a result of the EEF victories at the Battle of Romani, the Battle of Magdhaba and the Battle of Rafa, fought from August 1916 to January 1917, the EEF had pushed the defeated Ottoman Army eastwards. The EEF reoccupied the Egyptian territory of the Sinai Peninsula, and crossed over into the Ottoman Empire territory of southern Palestine. However, the result of the First Battle of Gaza had been as close to a British Empire victory as a defeat could get. In the three weeks between the two battles, the Gaza defences were strongly reinforced against a frontal attack. The strong entrenchments and fortifications proved unassailable during the disastrous frontal attacks, when EEF casualties approached, and in some cases exceeded 50 per cent for slight gains.

• 英語の訳がわからなくて困ってます。

訳がわからなくて問題が解けません。英語の全部の訳を教えてください。 訳がぜんぜんわからなくてちょっとつまずいてます。 Professor Strauss, a psychologist, is being interviewed on WLTT radio. She is talking about the effect that watching violent TV shows has on children. Interviewer: Professor Strauss, you've recently done a study of how watching violent TV shows affects the way children behave. What did your study involve? Professor Strauss: We studied fifty children at a city pre-school. They were all four years old. We divided the children into two groups and gave the groups different cartoons to watch for one hour a day. They did this for five days a week, over a period of three weeks. One group watched violent cartoons―cartoons showing characters fighting and being hurt or killed―while the other group watched non-violent cartoons. We then observed the way the children behaved when they were playing. Interviewer: And what did you find? Professor Strauss: The results were very interesting. We found that the children who had watched the violent cartoons were more likely to fight and argue with their playmates; they were more likely to disobey adults and they also became more impatient than the children who had watched non-violent cartoons. Interviewer: So, the violence in the TV shows did have an effect on the children's behavior? Professor Strauss: It seemed to, yes. お願いします。

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

The observation posts on the heights were highly vulnerable to German bombardment and surprise attacks, against which the French had to keep large numbers of infantry close to the front, ready to intervene but vulnerable to German artillery-fire. Ludendorff called the loss of the heights a "severe blow" and sixteen counter-attacks were made against the French positions along the heights in the next ten days, with little success. The French Fourth Army had casualties of 21,697 men. Among the German casualties, 6,120 prisoners were taken. After a series of divisional reliefs to replace the assault divisions, which were exhausted and had suffered many casualties, a new French attack began on 4 May. The west slopes of Mont Cornillet were attacked at 5:30 p.m. and a small advance was made. A German counter-attack from the tunnel repulsed the attack except on the right, where the French captured an artillery battery and penetrated some way down the north slope of Mont Blond. French casualties were so high that Vandenbergh postponed operations against Mont Cornillet and Flensburg trench. On 10 May, a French attack took a small amount of ground north-east of Mont Haut and a big German attack on Mont Téton was repulsed. Three fresh French divisions made preparations to resume the offensive on 20 May. After a big bombardment on 19 May, the French attack began at 4:30 a.m. in good weather, from south of Mont Cornillet to the north of Le Téton, with the main objective at the summit of Mont Cornillet.

• 以下3文の解釈が正しいかアドバイス頂けませんか

以下の3文が分かりません。 日本語訳はないので、自分で対訳を考えてみました。 1. Talk to me in three months after you’ve had a few too many plates of rubber chicken! 3ヶ月沢山のゴムのようなチキンを食べてから話せ。 こんな感じでいいのでしょうか? in three months after の部分が良く分かりませんでした。 2. What I want to know is if there is something I can do about the headaches I get from the allergies? 知りたいことは、アレルギーからの頭痛について出来ることはあるかだ。 I can do I get from がどこにかかっているのかが分かりにくいでした。 3. On the way there, I’ll tell you about my other health problems. I need eye drops for my dry eyes, pills for my insomnia, something for my back pain... その他にも、健康問題がある。 ドライアイのための目薬、睡眠薬、その他、背中の痛み・・・ On the way thereというのがまず分からず、「途中で」という日本語訳はおかしいので、「ところで」とか「その他にも」というような解釈をしてみました。 back painが良く分からず、そのまま背中の痛みとしましたが、文脈から「痛みを取り除く」みたいなニュアンスが個人的に感じられたのですが、どうなのでしょうか? 以上3点、申し訳ございませんが、アドバイス頂けないでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。