聖書における「the」の用法、その2

このQ&Aのポイント
  • New International Versionマタイ伝1-10章に出てくるthe earth/earthを拾ってみると、それぞれ以下の4例が有りました。the earth(1)Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. (2)You are the salt of the earth. (3)Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; (4)Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. earth(1)until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (2)your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. (3)Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, (4)But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...."
  • 「the earth」という表現は、具体的な「地球」を指していることを示しています。
  • 一方、「earth」という表現は、より一般的な「大地」や「地上」という意味合いを持っています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

聖書における「the」の用法、その2

New International Versionマタイ伝1-10章に出てくるthe earth/earthを拾ってみると、それぞれ以下の4例が有りました。 the earth (1)Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. (2)You are the salt of the earth. (3)Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; (4)Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. earth (1)until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (2)your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. (3)Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, (4)But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...." theを付ける場合と付けない場合の違いはどこにあるのでしょうか。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

the earthは、「この世界」 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 「柔和な人は、幸いである、彼らは地を受継ぐだろう」 earthは、「天国(heaven)」に対して「地上」 Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 「御国が来ますように、御心が天に行われる通り地にも行われますよう」 heavenには、冠詞がついていません。冠詞がなくとも「地上earth」に対する「天国」である以外にないからです。また、「この世界」はわたしたちが知ることのできる唯一のものだからです。 「天国」+「地上」=「この世界」なのか、「天国」:「この世界」=「地上」なのか、キリスト教徒でないのでわかりませんが…

fanzhao
質問者

お礼

早速、お答え有り難うございました。 話し手が天国を意識してearthと言う時はtheを付けず、意識せずに話している場合は、theを付けると言うことでしょうか。 柔和な人は地を受け継ぐと言った時、イエスは天国を意識していなかったのでしょうか。またもし意識していたらtheをつけても良いのでしょうか。

fanzhao
質問者

補足

お礼の最後の部分は「もし意識していたらtheをつけなくても良いのでしょうか」の誤りです。混乱してしまいました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

訳がわかりにくかったようですね。 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 「柔和な人は、幸いである、彼らは地(この世界)を受継ぐ(暮らして行く)だろう」 the earthは、キリスト教徒以外にとっても「この世界」つまり、われわれの暮らす世界です。 >theをつけなくても良いのでしょうか つけない場合も考えられると思います。キリスト教徒にとって大きく意味が変わらないからです。第三者には意味の違いがあります。 the earthは万人に共通する世界観から見た「この世界」earthはキリスト教的世界観「天国」+「地上」=「この世界」だと思います。

fanzhao
質問者

お礼

有り難うございました。 取り分け「天国」と「地上」を包含した「この世界」と言う説明、大変興味深く思いました。 しかし実際の会話の中でearthとthe earthを使い分けるのは難しいですね。特に日本人の第3者が用いるこの世や現世を英国人や米国人に通訳する際はなおさら難しそうです。その場合は「this world」とでもして「earth」は用いない方が無難でしょうか。

関連するQ&A

• 大学入試英作文添削

大学入試英作文添削 今年受験生で浪人生の者です  お金の都合上塾に行くことができず、まわりに添削していただける方がいらっしゃらないので、よろしければ添削お願いいたします    問題文 These days the sale of printed daily newspapers are declining in many countries. Do you think newspapers will disappear within the next 10 years? Write a paraglaph explaining your opinion. You must give at least one appropriate reason to support it. 自分の解答 I think newspapers will not disappear within the next 10 years. Because of prevailing mobile phones and computers,people may get information,however people originally like to read words that is printed. For example,electrical books do not replace books. That is why newspapers will not disappear within the next 10 years and they will be read by a lot of people.

• whatの用法がわかりません

The work of NGOs like MSF is helping to solve many of the world's problems, but there is much more to do. It is my hope that many more Japanese will volunteer for such work go and see more of world, and begin to have a sense of compassion for people who need help. Such volunteers will find that they get as much as they give. In my own case, the experience not only gave direction to my life but also gave me an opportunity to think about what it is to live as a human being. 最後の文のwhat it is to live as a human being.のwhatはどういう意味ですか? わかる方教えてください

• 英文の長文、和訳お願いします

Does the Earth have the natural resources to support this many people? Unfortunately, the answer to this question depends on information we don't have. For example, we don't know how people will choose to live in the future. We don't know what their standard of living will be. We also don't know what new technologies will be available in the future. We do know that the Earth's natural resources are limited. Fresh water, for example, is crucial for health and food production. However, more than 97% of the water on Earth is salt water, which is poisonous to both people and crops. Only 3% of the water on Earth is fresh water, and three quarters of that fresh water is frozen at the North and South Poles. Today, the demands for fresh water is greater than the supply in roughly eighty countries around the world. By 2025, scientists predict that forty-eight countries will have chronic shortages of water. At present, disalinization, or the removal of salt from salt water, is not a solution to the shortage of fresh water. It takes a lot of energy to remove the salt from ocean water, and that makes the disalinization process very expensive.

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

The new GOP health bill only has 20% approval - but they are going to move heaven and earth to get that thing passed. I don't understand the pride of men. This is going to get people killed. There is no place for politics or pride in health care. This is a criminal undertaking and someday these guys will all have to answer for it. We need to tattoo this onto the foreheads of all who voted for it - this kind of cruelty should not be forgotten.

• いきなり失礼します。

いきなり失礼します。 今度、初めてプレゼンをするので英語でスクリプトを書いたのですが、 はずかしながら自信がありません。 申し訳ないのですが、どなたか 変なところを直していただけませんか? よろしくお願いします。 Do you know global warming? The global warming is the average temperature and water temperature of sea are rising phenomenon. It is a center of environmental problems in the world. It’s since 1980. Many countries are doing measure for global warming. Because the global warming has a big influence on the entire earth. It can be said that global warming is a cause of various environmental problems, and result. Big cause of global warming is carbon dioxide as know to us. Then , how will carbon dioxide makes the global warming. It is because carbon dioxide has the characteristic of greenhouse gases. Greenhouse gases is a gas with working that confines heat on an atmospheric inside in the atmosphere. As for the earth, the atmosphere and sea are warmed by light from the sun. Heat by this sunlight is naturally cooled. But, the greenhouse gases stops this heat. The abatement of emission of carbon dioxide is done all over the world, as measures for controlling global warming for this characteristic. So, it can be said that the earth today is in the state wrapped in greenhouse. The problem of the global warming is not only rising of the temperature. It is that, the balance of the climate collapses.

• 意訳をお願いします

8.4.3 Orthogonal Circles An interesting situation to consider is when circles (or lines, or lines and circles) intersect at 90. In any of these cases, the two figures are called orthogonal. In figure 8.9 the circle in the center is surrounded by a set of circles that are orthogonal to it. Since angles are preserved under inversion, what happens if a circle is inverted through another circle to which it is orthogonal? The answer is that the circle is inverted into itself. To see why, remember that the circle of inversion is unchanged by the inversion. The circle orthogonal to it is mapped to a circle that meets it at the same points, and remains orthogonal. Therefore it must be mapped to the same circle. (Note that this does not mean that the points are not moved by the inversion—the ones outside are mapped to points inside and vice-versa, but every point on that circle is inverted to another point on the same circle.)

• 英語がとくいなかた和訳よろしくおねがいします

The forests of the earth are home to most of the world’s species, but living things there are in crisis today. Many places on the earth need to be protected, but how can we protect all of them at the same time? In 1988, a British biologist named Norman Mayers conceived of the idea of “hot spots” to identify particular places on the earth that need to be protected urgently. A hot spot is determined by the level of danger faced by a species in a particular region. There are hot spots on land as well as in coral reefs, but in the case of land hot spots, the number of native plants in a region is one factor that determines whether of not it is a hot spot.

• 和訳をお願いします

いつもお世話にないます。この文の正しい訳をおしえてください。 ()部分は私が相手にふざけてビルに向かって指を指していた写真に「あれ買って~あの建物買える?」とセリフをつけて送ったことです。 2行目~は「まさしくあの写真のようで。私は言うつもりだったけどあなたがどれがほしいと言わなかった」と訳しましたが。1行目の文が少し意味がわかりません。それによって全部の意味の解釈が変わるようなきがしたので 全部の訳を教えてください。 People are mean and they play with your emotions and thats not good my friend did that to me and I got hurt emotionally it is wrong to do theses things but people will do it. As for me I care dearly for the one in my life and I will do anything to me you happy. Just like the picture that you sent ( I want that,Can you buy that building ) I will but you did not tell me which building you wanted there are a lots of building in the picture.

• 和訳して頂けませんか?汗

Happiness is not something that happens. It is the result of good fortune or random chance. It is not something that money can buy or power command. It does not depend on outside events, but, rather, on how we interpret them. People who learn to control inner experience will be able to determine the quality of their lives, which is as close as any of us can come to being happy. Yet we cannot reach happiness by consciously searching for it. It is by being fully involved with every detail of our lives, whether good or bad, thatv we find happiness, not by trying to look for it directly. ========================== Thanks to reason, our status could - philosophers proposed - be settled according to an intellectual conscience, rather than being abandoned to the whims and emotions of the market square. And if rational examination revealed that we had been unfairly treated by the community, philosophers recommended that we be no more bothered by the judgment than we would be if we had been approached by a confused person bent on proving taht two and two amounted to five. この2つの文章を和訳して下さい。 よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m汗

• 推理小説の中のItの用法

推理小説を読んでいて、Itが出てくるとついつい、どんな用法か考えてしまいます。教科書に出てくるItの用法は、 1.既に出た語、句、節を指す 2.時・天候   ばくぜんとした状況を表す 3.形式主語・目的語 4.強調構文 5.特殊表現、It costs~, It takes~ ですが、以下の文はどのように考えたらいいですか? A. It appeares that~ 漠然とした状況 B. It happened that~ 漠然とした状況 C. It is no good worrying about the past. 形式主語=動名詞 D. It will not be long before an ambulance arrives. 時 E. It is said that his mother is an actress.     漠然とした状況 F. It was careless of you to make such a mistake. 形式主語=of以下 G. It is necessary for you to see a doctor.    形式主語=for 以下   H. It makes no difference to me whether she comes or not.  特殊表現 I. It was no wonder that it had become a place favored by foreigners. 形式主語=   that以下 J. It does not matter what was found to be in the trunk of his car later. 形式主語=    What以下 A~J までこのような考えでよいかお教えください。 なお、強調構文と形式主語の文は見分けられるつもりです。