"Katie"の友情の一環であるfacetsについて

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 「Katie」という名前の友達とは5年間親友関係にある。彼女との友情は楽しいが、彼女は親しい人に対して過剰に批判的な傾向がある。例えば、彼女は私の容姿のさまざまな側面、特定の男性とのデートの選択、さらには大学院の専攻プログラムの選択についても批判してきた。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

facets of my appearance

“Katie” has been my best friend for five years. I have enjoyed being friends with her, but she tends to be overly critical of people she’s close to. For example, she’s criticized facets of my appearance, my decision to date certain guys, and even my choice of program for a postgraduate degree. ここでのfacetsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4129/5365)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

ここでのfacetsはどのような意味でしょうか?  ここは、下記の名詞の4「相」に近い語源に近い意味です。face は、「全面」で、その縮小形 facet は「一面」です。  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=facet  (ケイティーは、私の全面を批判してはいないが、私の外見とか、私のデート相手とか、果ては私の大学院の専攻にまで)いろんな小さな面に(口を出してくる)  といったことでしょう。  

corta
質問者

お礼

ご返信が遅れました。ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9728/12102)
回答No.1

>ここでのfacetsはどのような意味でしょうか? ⇒ https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=facetの4で言うように、 「(物事の一つの)相、様相」といったニュアンスだと思います。 ☆「彼女(私の友人カティ)は、例えば、私の(いくつかの)外見の様子、…を批判しています」。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• She's out of my life

『She's out of my life』 という曲を探しています。 アーティスト名と収録アルバム名を ご存知の方おられませんでしょうか? 検索してみたのですが、見つけることができませんでした。 タイトル名はおそらくあってると思いますが、 もし違っていたらすみません。 歌いだしがこのタイトルと同じ She's out of my life~ だったと思います。 ご存知の方、どうか宜しくお願い致します。

• I am sure of my friends意味

I am sure of my friends. I am sure of my own potential. I am sure of my ability to do ... I am sure of my love towards you. と様々な使われ方がされているbe sure of は、 なんと訳したらいいのでしょうか? 特に、I am sure of my friends.がわかりません。 フランス語には、Je suis sûr(e) de mes amis.と訳されるのですが。

• 友達のところ my friend's place

今週の月曜日の『テレビ基礎英語』(エピソード45)で主人公のミカがマレーシアで友人のヤスミン宅に行く途中、強い匂いに惹かれて市場の果物屋さんに立ち寄ります。そこで売り子に、手土産にドリアンを買おうかと思っていると説明しようとして発したせりふの一部が標記の英語です。 I’m on my way to my friend’s place. She’s Malaysian. 私は、こういう場合に ”my” friend’s placeとしてしまうと、友人が一人しかいないことになるので “a” friend’s houseとすべき、とかつて習ったように思います。 当地で友人は一人であることを前提に発しているという解釈もないわけではないかと思いますが、それもなにか考えすぎのように思います。 どのように解釈すればいいのでしょうか。

• my の使い方

マーク・ピーターセンの「日本人の英語」三部作を読んで目からウロコがたくさん落ちました。その第二部「続・日本人の英語」に my の使い方について大変興味深い記述があります。 What did you do on Sunday? I went to a movie. Who(m) did you go with? I went with my friend. という例文で この with my friend には大変な問題があるそうだ。 my friend というと the friend of mine と言う意味になり、the が誰を指すかが話し手と聞き手の間に共通の認識がない場合は、the only friend of mine という意味になり、つまりこの人には友達は一人しかいないことになってしまうので、友達が一人でないならば、 with one of my friend または with a friend と言わなければいけないとのことである。 これは、大変良く理解できたのだが、では、友達(の一人)と歩いているときに、例えば学校の先生とか親戚の人に会って、自分の友達を紹介しなければいけない状況で This is my friend, Mr. Sato. は、やはり間違いなのでしょうか? 目の前にいる人のことだから、my friend で良いような気もしますが、自信がありません。 辞書でmyを引いてもこのような記述は全然ありません。 (まあ、この項だけの事ではないけれど) 出来れば英語環境で育ったような方のご回答を期待しています。

• grow absent

I had my daughter about six months ago. In my circle of friends I’m the only to have a baby, so needless to say she gets a lot of attention. One friend in particular seems to be a little obsessed with her, and it kind of freaks me and my husband out. She’s constantly buying things for her, referring to herself as her godmother (she’s not, my sister is, and she knows it). She asks for pictures of her throughout the day to help get her through work, and mentions that while she’s looking for a new job she would never relocate because she wants to be near my daughter. And recently when she comes over, she asks if she can wear her in my baby carrier so people will think she’s her child! I appreciate that she is so supportive of us, and I know most people find their childless friends grow absent once they have a baby, but this is just a little over the top. grow absentはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• direct

My best friend lost her fiancé to brain cancer a month ago. He was 28, she’s 27. They had been together eight years and had planned to marry and have kids. We’re all grieving. However, I’m at a loss of how to help or where to direct my friend. direct my friendはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I only have a few really close friends, who are really more like brothers. One of them, Chris, is getting married. The guys are planning a bachelor party, which includes hitting the strip clubs. My girlfriend hates the entire idea and is adamant I not attend. I don’t see the issue. This is not my bachelor party. I’m celebrating one of my dearest and closest friends’ final days as a single man. I’ve tried to communicate my feelings, but she’s not having it, and I can only think of all the trouble I’m going to be in when I do go. she’s not having itは「彼女は受け入れない」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• the story of my life 和訳

授業でヘレンケラーのThe Story of my life をやっているのですが、上手く和訳ができないので和訳の方を教えてほしいです。 When the time of daisies and buttercups came Miss Sullivan took me by the hand across the fields, where men were preparing the earth for the seed, to the banks of the Tennessee River,and there,sitting on the warm grass,I had my first lessons in the beneficence of nature. I learned how the sun and the rain make to grow out of the ground every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food, how birds build their nests and live and thrive from land to land,how the squir-rel, the deer,the lion and every other creature finds food and shelter. As my knowledge of things grew I felt more and more the delight of the world I was in. Long before I learned to do a sum in arithmetic or describe the shape of the earth,Miss Sullivan had taught me to find beauty in the fragrant woods, in every blade of grass, and in the curves and dimples of my baby sister's hand. She linked my earliest thoughts with nature,and made me feel that "birds and flowers and I were happy peers." 長文で申し訳ないですが、よろしくお願いします。

• my wayって何ですか??

塾の宿題の訳で I met a friend of mine on my way to the library. って英文が出てきたんですヶド、my wayってどういう意味になるんですか? 訳は「私は図書館への途中で友達に会いました」って感じになると思ったんですヶド… 何でmyがつくのか分かりません(*_*;)教えてくださいm(__)m

• a friend of mine

文法書には、my friend とすると相手が知っている特定の1人を表してしまうので、初めて 友達 を話に出す時は a friend of mine と言う様に書いてあるのですが、 「友達の物」と言う場合どう書けばいいですか? a friend's of mine の様に書けばいいのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。