Baby Boomer Tradition: Taking Care of Each Other in Times of Need

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Taking in meals, a traditional practice, refers to providing food to someone in need, such as a family member who is ill or has experienced a loss.
  • Staggered by a few days means that the assigned times to take meals to the family were spread out over a period of several days.
  • The last sentence states that the club members are fulfilling the president's request to provide food to the house following the recent death of a member's husband.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

I am a baby boomer and appreciate the 20th-century tradition of "rising to the occasion" and taking in meals if a family member is ill or if there has been a death in the family. It is a kind and thoughtful gesture. I am in a club, and one member's husband was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. At that time, our president assigned each member a time to take a meal to them, staggered by a few days. Our president requested that we share the menu with other club members so there wouldn't be duplicated meals. The member's husband recently died, and our president has again requested that we take food to the house. And we are stepping up to the plate and doing so. 1 taking in mealsはどのような意味でしょうか? 2 staggered by a few daysはどのような意味でしょうか? 3 最後の文の和訳をお願いします。 以上、よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1 taking in mealsはどのような意味でしょうか?  食事を運び込む、他所へ食事を作って持っていく 2 staggered by a few daysはどのような意味でしょうか?  下記のstaggered の形容詞の2「交互に」とか「ずらした」と言う意味です。  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=staggered  ですから会員がみんな同じ日に食事を作って押しかけるのではなく、今日は甲さん、三日経って乙さん、また三日経って丙さん、とずらすことです。 3 最後の文の和訳をお願いします。   step up to the plate は、野球に端を発する、下記の2にあたる言い回しで「進んで物事に取り組むこと」です。  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=step+up+to+the+plate  ですから「私たちは進んでこれ(=不幸のあった家に食事を運ぶこと)に取り組み、(実際に)やっています」と言う意味でしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• 意味をよろしくお願いします

I just think, when we’re having a Christmas party or something, she shouldn’t be all over another guy when her husband is across the room, because that’s taking their relationship and making it our deal. that’s taking their relationship and making it our dealの意味をよろしくお願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

My brother-in-law asked that we all come around when possible on lunch hours, nights, and weekends to help keep her company. Our aunt made a schedule for people to stop by complete with bringing meals. stop by complete with bringing mealsの解説をよろしくお願いします

• duration of the course

I am currently separated from my husband of less than a year, due to some pretty serious rage and respect issues that snowballed immediately after we wed. My husband has voluntarily enrolled in a 52-week domestic violence course and is committed to recovery and discovering how to be compassionate and empathetic. On the recommendation of our marriage counselor, we have decided to remain separated for the duration of the course. for the duration of the courseとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

Although my husband and I have been married for 13 years, we only recently bought our first home. We previously lived in a small apartment. We are planning to have our first housewarming party once we have fully unpacked and the house is ready for company. Would it be OK to register for things we'd like to have and include the information in our invitations? Or is it best to keep a "private" registration and inform only those who ask what we need? register for things we'd like to haveとkeep a "private" registrationは何のことを話しているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 比較的簡単な英文のおかしいところがあればなおしてください。よろしくおね

比較的簡単な英文のおかしいところがあればなおしてください。よろしくおねがいします。 The first day my husband and I were in Tokyo. We went to a department store and did a lot of shopping. After shopping we got on a taxi in front of the department store to return to the hotel where we stayed. After a while we arrived at the hotel. My husband paid the taxi fare to a driver and we got out of the taxi. We reached our room in the hotel. A few minutes later I found that my purse was nowhere in our room. But I immediately rememberd that I had left my purse behind the taxi. What a terrible thing it was! I wondered if I should try to call a taxi company but did'nt know which one we had used. I was very confused and at a loss what I should do. Just then the phone in our room rang. It was a call from the clerk at the front desk. He said the taxi driver had just come at the front desk to deliver my purse to me. I was very happy to hear that. I went to the front desk right away and received my purse from the driver. I thanked him from the bottom of my heart, shaking hands with him.

• fill in

Every year my husband and I host a holiday get-together for several of our friends and neighbors. We provide the main dish, a couple of sides and drinks. We ask friends to fill in with other salads, sides and desserts. fill in with other saladsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

My husband and I live in a small, tightknit development full of families with young kids. We were excited to become new parents a month ago and feel more included in the neighborhood already. Our backyard is a large hill sloping down from the street toward our house, and as my husband and I can testify, it’s great for sledding. Our backyard is a large hill sloping down from the street toward our houseの和訳をよろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My husband and I have been married for 28 years, but our relationship has been at a brick wall for more than half of the marriage. For the past four years, we have lived under the same roof but completely separately, essentially as housemates. Up until now, I have made the decision to stay in the marriage because A) we have two daughters, both in their early 20s, and B) my husband is a pastor and I was once concerned about his image in the church community if we were to separate. Aggression and worrisome behavior have now entered the equation, and we have both accepted that our union is no longer salvageable. I am ready to start dating and move on with my life, as my husband has been doing for more than half of our marriage, but he still isn’t ready to upset the church community with the news of our formal separation. Personally, I am done putting up a façade. I am ready to move on from not only the marriage, but also the church community, but ultimately I do want to be the bigger person and respect my husband’s image. if we were to separateのところはif we separatedとも言えるのでしょうか?違いは何でしょうか?あと、the bigger personはなぜaではなくtheが使われているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My husband and I have been together for 16 years and thankfully we get along beautifully and are best friends. There has been one issue, though, on which we have never agreed: Should we have a gun in our house? We do not have kids and rarely do any kids visit our home, so that is not a factor. He believes it’s the right thing to do to protect ourselves. I fear having a gun in our home could lead to a tragic accident, such as a friend entering our home and being mistaken as an intruder. I also fear that if, God forbid, I actually need to use the gun to protect myself, I would freeze up and not be able to use it, and have the tables turned on me. 1 rarely doは強調でしょうか? 2 ここでのGod forbidはどう訳したら良いでしょうか? 3 have the tables turned on meはどのような意味でしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• 英文の意味を教えてください。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。とても安くて小さいものなのでまとめ売りらしいです。 発送ができるか質問を相手にしていたのですが返事がきました。すみませんが意味を教えてください。お願いします。 We are in receipt of your below mail and thank you very much for your interest in our articles. Of course we would be pleased to welcome you as our new customer and we could deliver our articles directly from LA to your address in Japan. Please kindly note that we have quite a few customers in Japan and it is absolutely no problems to import our goods. Since you have not clarified which articles you would like to purchase we suggest to have a look at our homepage 11111 and choose the requested items. Once you will let us know which items you would like to purchase we can send you our best offer. Since most of our articles are packed in boxes containing 2 or 3 pieces we normally request a minimum order quantity of a complete box. In case of orders for less than a complete box our prices get increased by 30 %. If the order is for more than 5 pieces of one article our prices will get decreased. Hoping to have been of assistance to you and awaiting your detailed inquiry.