• 締切済み

英語教えてください

学校の参考書の問題で It was in Melbourne that the 1956 Olympic Games were held. という文がありました。 この時のthatはwhereやin whichにできますか?

noname#188200
noname#188200
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数1

みんなの回答

回答No.4

もちろん I live in the house where my grandfather lived. において,which でなく,where になるのは live in the house の関係があるからです。 でも,それは関係節内での my grandfather lived との関係であって, 前の I live in の部分とは無関係。 前は This is the house でいい。 後ろで my grandfather lived in the house ではあっても, 先行詞自体は in the house でなくてもいい。 そういう意味で in the house = where ではない, ということです。

noname#188200
質問者

お礼

何度も丁寧にありがとうございます。 この文は強調構文だったんですね。 学校ではいくつか強調する言い回しを習いましたが今回のは勉強した記憶がありません。 私は英語を入試目的で勉強していないので、もっと考えたいと思います。 強調構文と分かっただけでも参考になりました。 回答ありがとうございました。

回答No.3

#2 の内容は難しすぎるので,大学受験レベルであれば とにかく,これは強調構文なので that が基本。 強調構文の that が who になることはかなりあり, まれに which にもなることがあります。 そういう次元で where にはなり得ます。 普通には強調構文の that でそれ以上考えなくてもいいです。 強調構文はおわかりですか? who になっている例は勉強したことがありますか? (それでも who なんかよりはまれで難しいです)

回答No.2

http://okwave.jp/qa/q3330122.html http://okwave.jp/qa/q7810685.html 特に後の方を見ていただいて, I live in the house where my grandfather lived. こういう英語があって,関係副詞 where は 前の in the house = where となるのでなく, あくまでも先行詞 the house = where です。 ここが関係副詞の謎です。 where = in which 的な説明をする人が多いですが, 先行詞 the house に where というのは 一種の指示副詞というか,副詞格というか, the house → there とするようなあくまでも名詞があるのです。 その証拠に This is the house where my grandfather lived. のように the house で先行詞になるわけだから。 一方,今回のパターンは in Melbourne という in ~と where が=のようなものです。 とにかく,関係副詞の where とは性質を異にし, in which で置き換えることはできません。

回答No.1

これは The Olympic Games were held IN MELBOURNE. という文において,in Melbourne を強調する強調構文です。 that の性質は説明しようがなく, 接続詞であったり,関係代名詞であったり,関係副詞的であったり。 この that は where に変えることはできますが, in which に変えることはできません。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の質問です。

下の文の訳を教えてください。 1.You are the last person I would have expected to see in a library. 2.It is not what we eat but what we digest that makes us strong. 3.It was in Melbourne that the 1965 Olympic Games were held. 4.It was not until she arrived at the station that she realized she had forgotten her watch. 5.There's little, if any, hope of his being alive. 6.They seldom, if ever, go to their hometown in England. 7.When eating noodle in Japan, don't worry about making a noise. 8.You must listen attentively when spoken to. 9.It's quite a surprise to meet you here. 10.He didn't arrive until the discussion was over. よろしくお願いします。

• 自由英作文の添削をお願いします

問題文: 以下の文を読み、賛成か反対かを、少なくとも二つ以上の理由を挙げて述べよ。 "The Olympic Games should be abolished." 私の解答: In my opinion, the Olympic Games shouldn't be abolished. The first reason is that they represent world peace, so, if you abolish them, I think it means that you abolish world peace. The second reason is that they motivate many athlete. If it were not for the Olympic Games, sports couldn't be like what sports are now. For these reasons, I would like to say that the Olympic Games shouldn't be abolished. 今回はやや辞書を使ってしまいました 2つ目以降の理由がなかなか思いつかず苦労しました こんな理由も良いんじゃないかというのがあったらそれも教えてもらえるとうれしいです

• 英語問題

1:That was the year () l was born. (1)where (2)into which (3)in which (4)at which 2:This must be the novel Mr.Matsuyama () his lecture. (1)had referred in (2)had referred to (3)referred to in (4)was referred to 3:This is a photo of the house () before we moved to Osaka. (1)where we lived in (2)we lived (3)with which we lived (4)we lived in 4:This is the village () our teacher was born. (1)which (2)that (3)in that (4)where 5:This is the place () l have long wanted to visit. (1)where (2)which (3)what (4)in which 解答と和訳お願いします

• 高校の英語の関係詞について

問題集をやっていて、答えをみてもよくわからなかったので質問します。  次の( )内に適切な関係詞を入れなさい。 (1)The town ( ) we were approaching was very small. ⇒答え which (2)The town ( ) we stayed that night was very small. ⇒答え where この二つが一体どう違うのか、なぜ(1)はwhichで(2)はwhereじゃないといけないのかわかりません。教えてください。

• 英語

一通り問題を解いて見ましたが、一番最初の問題だけ、どれだか迷ってしまいました。誰も家にいなかった、という意味には違いないと思うのですが… 1When she called his house this morning, ( ) at home. アanybody wasn't イno one would be ウnobody was エeverybody wouldn't be 2The firemen had trouble getting to the street ( ) the houses were on fire. アhow イthat ウwhere エwhich 3It is often said that rice is to Asians ( ) wheat is to Europeans. アhow イthat ウwhat エwhich 4The professor sternly told the student, “Read the passage ( ) I referred in my lecture.” アin which イof what ウthat エto which 5Zero degrees Celsius (0℃) is the temperature ( ) water changes to ice. アat which イwhose ウin which エto which 6( ) matters is whether you do your best or not. アthat イwhich ウwhat エwhy 7I was just about to sleep, ( ) the front-door bell rang. アon which イwhen ウwhenever エwhere 8I found the book on the kitchen shelf, ( ) was the last place I expected to find it. アwhere イwhich ウwhen エthat 9Unborn babies ( ) mother smoke are in danger of developing health problems. アwho イwhose ウwhom エthat 10The man ( ) I believed was an Australian was in fact an American. アwho イwhom ウin whom エfor who 以上になります。

• 友達に体育の日について英語で説明したいのですが・・・

友達に体育の日について説明するために、日本では、この日が一番晴れる確立が高かったので東京オリンピックがこの日におこなわれました。それを記念してこの休日がつくられ、この日には多くの運動会が開催されます。 というような文章をつくりたいんですが、うまくつくることができません。 Tokyo Olympic was held on that day because ~  in Japan. The holiday was a memorial of the Olympic and there are many sports festival on that day. 前後の文も自信ありませんが、特に~の部分がわかりません。アドバイスいただけませんか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英語

1I hate the ( ) she always criticizes me. アhow イway ウmethod エstyle 2I went to Hawaii last week. That is ( ) I got suntanned. アwhy イwhat ウwhich エthat 3“Are you going somewhere during thad vacation?” “Yes, I've found a nice beach ( ) I can enjoy swimming even in February.” アhow イwhen ウwhere エwhich 4The boy ( ) used to work for our company. アyou were talking to イyou were talking ウwho you were talking エwhom you were talking 5The lady ( ) this letter of yours is addressed died last week. アwhom イto whom ウwhich エto which 6This is the new car made in America this year ( ) I spoke. アof that イof which ウthat エwhich 7The town ( ) is in Shimane Prefecture. アwhich Mori Ogai was born イin where Mori Ogai was born ウin which Mori Ogai was born エMori Ogai was born 8Social science, ( ) in 1998, is no longer taught at this college. アstudying the subject イhaving studied ウthe subject I studied エI have studied 9What everyone hates most about driving in a big city is the time ( ) to find a parking space. アit makes イthat makes ウit takes エthat takes

• 強調構文でwhereは使えますか?

たとえば、 It was in this park that we played soccer. のような強調構文で、thatをwhereに換えて It was in this park where we played soccer. のように言えますか?どこかでこのような文を聞いたことがあるのですが・・・。

• 英語の問題

1:l saw a horse () cost was brown. (1)which (2)its (3)whose (4)that 2:There was no comment from the two ladies () l thought were sure to protest. (1)of whom (2)who (3)whom (4)whose 3:l never saw Brando again () was a pity. (1)which (2)what (3)whom (4)where 4:John insulted Mary, () l would never do. (1)that (2)which (3)who (4)where 5:() is often the case with her she broke her promise. (1)When (2)As (3)It (4)There 解答と和訳お願いします

• which のかわりに where を使えますか?

That building was a pavillion, which I used to visit in the Expo. この文で which のところを where にしてもいいですか?