• ベストアンサー

英語で「妻や子供たち」と言うとき

問題 「妻や子供たちがいなければ、私は満足のいく人生を歩むことはできないだろう」 解答 I could not lead a satisfying life if I did not have a wife and children. 質問 「妻や子供たち」というのは当然「私の妻や子供たち」という意味なのに、なぜwifeは不定冠詞で、childrenは無冠詞なのですか?my wife and my childrenではダメなのですか?

• mkfdh
  • お礼率61% (1095/1776)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.3

if I did not haveというのは仮定法の仮定節なのですね。これは実在の妻子に限定せずに、一般論として「妻子がいなかったなら」という意味でしょう。今、実際に妻子がいるかどうかとも関係ないです。 仮定節に実在のmy wife and childrenを使うのはちょっと変なのかもしれませんが意味は通じるように思います。without my wife and childrenなら普通でしょう。ただし、どちらにせよ例文とは意味が異なります。

mkfdh
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。大変参考になりました。全く初歩的な質問ばかりで恐縮なんですけど、なぜwifeにだけmyがついてchildrenにはつかないのですか?

その他の回答 (3)

• Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.4

#3です myはwifeとchildrenの両方にかかっています

回答No.2

いる場合も I have two children. というのであって, ここに my はつきません。 have で表すのは存在だけで,現実にいる自分の妻や子供自体を持ってくるのではないのです。

mkfdh
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。解説に納得しました。

回答No.1

my wife というのは(亡くなった場合も含めて) 存在している人です。 my children もそうです。 現実に子供がいるにしても 「いないなら」というのなら そのいるはずの my wife などとはいえません。 家族などには所有格をつける, これが学校文法の基本ですが, my ~などというのは the 的な限定を含んだ特定の人・ものです。 wife は最大1人だから a で,children は複数あり得るから複数で 複数だから a がつけられないのです。

mkfdh
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。なるほど、解説は理解できました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の意味がわかりません

「rather than squander my funds on things I did not want and could not」 という英文の意味がわかりません。 どなたか、意味を教えては下さいませんか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語の質問です。

In those days, no one expected to see children so involved and happy , especially not children from poor families 最近では、子供達、特に貧困層の子供達がここまで幸せそうに夢中になるのを誰も予想していなかった。 especially not children from poor familiesの“not”とはつまり、did not expectですか? 特に貧困層の子供たちではなく、と訳してしまったので混乱してました。

• よろしくお願いします

I am a 68-year-old widow with two grown children, both married, both living nearby. I dearly love babies and baby-sit as much as possible. My son and wife had my first grandson over the summer. My son called me the morning after to invite me to see him, so I did for a few minutes. morning afterとはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、I did for a few minutesの文脈に合った訳をよろしくお願いします

• I buy my wife a muffin

I buy my wife a muffin every morning.という文章が英語の問題集にのっているのですが、これが分かりません。gave my wife なら分かります。私に妻に与えるなので。しかしbuyでは私の妻を買うになってしまいませんか?I buy a muffin for my wifeなら意味が通ると思うのですが。I buy my wife a muffin every morningは誤植なのでしょうか?

• 英語のメール、、、

スイマセン、ペンパルからメールを貰ったんですが、ちょっと意味のわからない事かいてあるんです・・・なぜ自分は日本の女性に興味があるのかという理由を書いてくれたのですが、意味がわかりません。わかる方お願いします。 She was so Beautiful that I did not want to shut my eyes until the scene was over. After the movie I went to sleep. Suddenly I saw the same girl in my dream. Except she was in a white dress and jade rose petals fell this time. (I wish I finished that dream) Suddenly I woke up. I was late for shcool. TO make it worse it was raining the next day. As I got to school I noticed that many people were wearing rain coats. But the strange part was this: Every one had a hoody and umbrella. As they took them down I noticed that almost all of them were"JAPANESE"! I had been in that school for almost a year and I had never noticed I had Japanese fellow students. It was so surprising that I could not close my mouth! I wanted to talk to them but I did not know what to say. I could not speak. I did not want to sound stupid. But now that I have met you I know exactly what to say. It was something I could never say because I was so much in love with the beauty they have, that I was stunned. SO Now I have met you I will say what I could not say then........."HELLO"!

• どうなっているのでしょうか

I'm having an affair with my doctor. He presented himself as a single guy who "did not want to commit." Later, I discovered he was married, but I continued to see him. A year passed, and I realized he'd started another relationship besides those with his wife and me. besides those with his wife and meのところは構造的にどうなっているのでしょうか?意味もよろしくお願いします

• 英語の訳がわかりません

Regarding the talented Mary, Tom wrote to Smith in March that ‘thus, joyless and friendless, I should pass my days, did not Mary visit me now and again and turn on me a ray of those sweet days of the past’. なぜ did not の後に名前がきているのでしょうか? 英語に詳しい方、回答よろしくお願い致します。

• 過去の仮定文

下記の過去の事実なんで、その事実に反する、ありそうもない過去の仮定文に書きかえてみたんですが、これで合っているでしょうか? 1.I did not take better notes, since I did not know that question was going to be on the examination. Ans.>I did take good notes for examination. 2.I did not bring my tennis racket and shoes, since I did not know that you were looking for a partner. Ans.>I did bring my tennis racket and shoes, because I did know that you were looking for a partner.

• 訳して頂きたい英文があります!

訳して頂きたい英文があります! どうしてもうまく訳せません。 She had an uneasy suspicion that I did not believe in her; and if that was why she did not like me, it was also why she sought my acquaintance: it galled her that I alone should look upon her as a comic figure and she could not rest till I acknowledged myself mistaken and defeated. お願いいたします。

• cordialの訳し方

I grew up with two siblings -- a brother and a sister. My brother, his wife and three children lived near our parents. My family and I (wife, two children) lived some distance away. We maintained contact through holiday cards and drop-by visits. Everything was cordial, if not particularly close. In hindsight, all direct interaction with my folks was always at our initiation. Sadly, my brother passed away quite suddenly a few years ago. He was still a relatively young man. My SIL still maintained infrequent, cordial contact surrounding major events (kids' graduating, my father's passing), but that's about it. しばしばcordialの適した訳が辞書にないのですが、ここで出てくる2つはどう訳したら良いでしょうか?よろしくお願いします