The Power of Choice: What Happens When Our Need for Choice is Unfulfilled?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The desire to choose is a natural drive that developed to aid our survival, but it often becomes something valuable and necessary in itself.
  • But what happens when we enjoy the benefits that choice is meant to confer, yet our need for choice itself is not met?
  • This raises the question of what happens when our need for choice is unfulfilled.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

訳し方がわかりません。

シーナ・アイエンガーの「The Art of Choosing」からの英文です。 The desire to choose is thus a natural drive, and though it most likely developed because it is a crucial aid to our survival, it often operates independently of any concrete benefits. In such cases, the power of choice is so great that it becomes not merely a means to an end but something intrinsically valuable and necessary. 【So what happens when we enjoy the benefits that choice is meant to confer but our need for choice itself is not met?】 【】の中の英文の訳がわかりません。 what happens ・・・何が起こるのか? when we enjoy the benefits that choice is meant to confer ・・・私たちが選択が与えるはずの利益を楽しむとき   but our need for choice itself is not met・・・・選択に対する私たちの必要性、それ自身が満たされない・・・・ is meant to~は"~するはずの"、ですか? is not metのmet(meet)は"満たす"という訳ですか? butは"しかし"、"除いて"、"・・・でなければ"など考えてみましたがよくわかりません。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

>選択が与えるはずの利益 こういう考えで正しいです。 confer の後に目的語がない,ということは that は関係代名詞と考えるべきです。 「~という」という同格の that ではない。 そして,when 節の中で SV but S'V' となって,「~だが,~であるときに」 but 以下の部分は benefits とは関係しません。 選択が与えてくれる(選択があることによって与えられる)ことが意図されている恩恵を享受するのに,選択への我々の要求自体がかなえられない場合,何が起こるだろうか。 but は普通の逆接の接続詞,meet はおっしゃるように「~を満たす,かなえる」

red_hood_girl
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 文法的な説明をいただいてよく理解できました。

その他の回答 (3)

• litsa1234
  • ベストアンサー率28% (230/795)
回答No.4

>【So what happens when we enjoy the benefits that choice is meant to confer but our need for choice itself is not met?】 「選択すれば権利として貰える筈の恩恵に我々はあずかることになるだろうが、そもそも選択しなければならないという必要性が本当にあるとは我々には思われない場合、さてどういう事態になるのでしょうか。」 以上、参考になれば幸いです。

red_hood_girl
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 とても参考になりました!

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.3

やっぱり、親の敷いたレールにのりたくない坊ちゃんの話かな? when we enjoy the benefits that choice is meant to confer ・・・私たちが、選択が与えるはずの利益を(選択を行うまでもなく、最初から)享受しているが、   but our need for choice itself is not met ・・・選択すること自体の必要性は満たされない場合 最良の結果が最初から与えられているが、最良の選択肢しか与えられず「選択」の余地がない場合のことを言っていると思います。

red_hood_girl
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 本の趣旨としては人には選択するという行為を 与えることが大切だということを言っている感じがします。

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.1

【So what happens when we enjoy the benefits that choice is meant to confer but our need for choice itself is not met?】 選択の享受は有り得るが、但しその選択自体の必要性が有り得ないという、 恩恵に我々が浴している場合には、一体何が起こるのだろうか。

red_hood_girl
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 いつもためになる訳、ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 文法解釈

以下の文章に関する質問です。 “How does your ruling reason manage itself? For in that is the key to everything. Whatever else remains, be it in the power of your choice or not, is but a corpse and smoke.” be it in the power of your choice or notの文法解釈に自信がないです。 これは、”if …or not “ の「〜であろうと、〜なかろうと」の形が使われている、if の省略による倒置、仮定的意味合いから仮定法現在のbe が使われている、という理解で正しいのか自信が持てないです。 解釈チェック宜しくお願いします。

• 意訳をお願いします

8.4.3 Orthogonal Circles An interesting situation to consider is when circles (or lines, or lines and circles) intersect at 90. In any of these cases, the two figures are called orthogonal. In figure 8.9 the circle in the center is surrounded by a set of circles that are orthogonal to it. Since angles are preserved under inversion, what happens if a circle is inverted through another circle to which it is orthogonal? The answer is that the circle is inverted into itself. To see why, remember that the circle of inversion is unchanged by the inversion. The circle orthogonal to it is mapped to a circle that meets it at the same points, and remains orthogonal. Therefore it must be mapped to the same circle. (Note that this does not mean that the points are not moved by the inversion—the ones outside are mapped to points inside and vice-versa, but every point on that circle is inverted to another point on the same circle.)

• 英文の和訳をおねがいします。

It is salutary to realize the fundamental isolation of the individual mind. We have no certain knowledge of any consciousness but our own. We can only know the world through our own personality. Because the behaviour of others is similar to our own, we suppose that they are like us; it is a shock to discover that they are not. As i grow older I am more and more amazed to discover how great are the differences between one man and another. I am not far from believing that everyone is unique.

• この英文について教えてください

We are ,to a remarkable degree,the right distance from the right sort of star,one that is big enough to radiate lots of energy,but not so big as to burn itself out swiftly. 訳:わたしたちは、驚くべき程度まで、適切な種類の星から適切な距離にあり、その星は多くのエネルギーを放射できるほど大きいが、。急速に燃え尽きてしまうほど大きくはない ここで質問ですが (1)one that is big ~のthatの役割は何でしょうか? that=the right sort of starで one thatは「ある適切な種類の星」ということですか (2) but not so big as to burn itself out swiftly.となっていますが何故(主語とbe動詞)が省略されているのでしょうか?副詞節中でないと(主語とbe動詞)は省略できなかったはずだと思うのですが

• この強調構文の解説をお願いします。

この強調構文の解説をお願いします。 Exactly what it is about our brains that leads to our extraordinary consciousness remains obscure; but ~ 訳:脳のどのような働きが人の驚くべき意識を作り出すのかについては、いまだ解明されないままだ。しかし、~ 質問したいことは、 ・Exactlyの意味(訳に反映されていないので) ・文の構造の解説 の2つです。 it is our brains that leads to our extraordinary consciousness remains obscure; ならわかりやすいですが・・・。

• 構文分析よろしくお願い致します

A good farmer is always one of the most intelligent and best educated men in our society. We have been inclined in our wild industrial development, to forget that agriculture is the base of our whole economy and that in the economic structure of the nation it is always the cornerstone. It has always been so throughout history and it will continue to be so until there are no more men on this earth. We are apt to forget that that the man who owns land and cherishes it and works it well is the source of our stability as a nation, not only in the economic but the social sense as well. できるだけ詳しく教えていただけると嬉しいです。 よろしくお願い致します🙏

• 英語の訳の問題です

Los Angeles is unique unto itself;but unique in a special way that makes it strangely familiar to an English academic of my generation and experience. but以下がよくわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語 最も正しい語句を選んでください

1 It was not ( ) I met you that I knew real happiness. (by the time/the time/until/that) 2 It is one thing to own a library;it is quite ( )to use it wisely. (the other/other/the same/another) 3 My opinion is different from ( ). (you/your's/your/yours) 4 Both of my parents ski, but( )is good skier. (either/neither/both/each) 5 Please help ( )to whatever food you like. (yourself/youes/for you/on yours)

• よろしくお願いします

I recently told my parents about my cutting. It was not too serious, though at the time they had been getting a bit deeper and longer. That itself is not the problem however, as I have been finding ways to not do it, namely snapping rubber bands and silently counting until the urge goes away. That itselfはThat by itselfとも言えるのでしょうか?違いはあるでしょうか?snapping rubber bandsは「輪ゴムをパチリと留める」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• すみません。教えて下さい

すいませんm(__)m英文が難しくて、和訳 お願いします Sorry:(! I said that our relationship is not easy , because of the distance . so just take it easy. And it was It was her w ho wrote that to me! It was not me!