英語のジョーク?赤十字社とコーヒーの関係は?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 英語のジョークで、相手が自分の髪の毛がひどい状態だと言っています。また、それがひどい状態なので、赤十字社が彼女にコーヒーを与えないと言っています。この表現は皮肉であり、実際には赤十字社がコーヒーを与えないということはありません。
  • ジョークの中で相手が自分の髪の毛を批判しているシチュエーションで、ひどい髪の毛のために赤十字社が彼女にコーヒーを与えないと言っています。これは冗談であり、実際には赤十字社が髪の毛の状態に関与することはありません。
  • このジョークでは、相手が自分の髪の毛をひどいと批判していて、そのひどさが赤十字社がコーヒーを与えないほどひどいと言っています。これは単なる冗談であり、赤十字社が髪の毛の状態に関与することはありません。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語のジョーク?

A:Look, I put up with a lot of crap from you-- Telling me my chest is on backwards......that my hair is such a disaster the Red Cross won't give it coffee. B:What? I never said that. But I might use it. Red Cross! I like it! Ha ha! Red cross! 『my hair is such a disaster the Red Cross won't give it coffee.』の部分が分かりません。 Red Cross…赤十字? 赤十字社のことでいいんですか? 赤十字って何かコーヒーと関係あるんですか?? 意味が分からないので、教えて下さい。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

No2の者です。 常日頃から尊敬するNo3様と意見が異なったので、動揺しつつも、自分の解釈以外考えられずネイテブに聞いてみました。 僕の解釈で正しいようです。 http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2517016 要するに、普段は、災害の被害にあった場所におもむき(コーヒー等の)必要物資を配る赤十字も、この髪の災害はひど過ぎて救援に来てコーヒーを配る事ができないというジョークです。

ukafgprk
質問者

お礼

なるほど! 凄く納得できました。 ネイティブの方にも聞いてくださったなんて、本当にありがとうございます。 ずっと知りたかったんです。

その他の回答 (4)

noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.5

Narumaru17様が手間暇かけてお調べの上、再回答されておられるので、私も調べ直してみました。 「Will & Grace (season 3)」というTVドラマのGraceのセリフのようですね。 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_%26_Grace_(season_3)  お示しのセリフは以下のところで読めます。 http://www.durfee.net/will/scripts/s0316.htm  赤毛ではあるけど、三つ編みは想像が行き過ぎだったようです。また、コーヒーも直接には赤十字のような組織ですら援助物資がないといったことのようです。  coffeeはアメリカでは、日本での日本茶のように、あって当たり前のもので、coffee andで「簡素な」とか「安物の」といった意味を表すことがあります(常とう句のcoffee and cake等)。色ではなく、こちらのほうの意味かと思えてきました。そういうものすらない、つまり手も足も出ない、ということですね。  からかい文句で、しかもそれを言われて傷ついた側の記憶に基づく復唱ですから、あまり厳密に意味を考えようとしたのは、私の間違いだったかもしれません。

ukafgprk
質問者

お礼

こんなに調べて下さって、どうもありがとうございます。 “coffee and cake"は辞書で見たんですけど、“coffee and”だけでそういう意味があるんですね。 勉強になりました。

noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.3

>A:Look, I put up with a lot of crap from you-- Telling me my chest is on backwards......that my hair is such a disaster the Red Cross won't give it coffee. 「いい、あなたの悪口に我慢してきたのよ。胸が背中についてるとか。私の髪の毛が災難で、赤十字でもコーヒー(色に染めて)すら、あげられないとか。」 >B:What? I never said that. But I might use it. Red Cross! I like it! Ha ha! Red cross! 「何がさ? そんなこと言った覚えはないよ。けど、使ったかもね。赤十字みたいなね! 気に入っているさ。アハハ! 赤毛の三つ編みをね!」 -----------------------------------  部分的に訳すだけでも、これで精いっぱいな感じです。すみません。言葉の多義性がいろいろ使われています。

ukafgprk
質問者

お礼

いろいろ考えて下さってありがとうございます!

回答No.2

こんにちは、勘ですが、 意訳気味で 「コーヒーを与える→援助に来る」と考えて、 my hair is such a disaster the Red Cross won't give it coffee. 私の髪が赤十字が援助に来れないほどの大災害だって。 という冗談じゃないでしょうか?

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

赤十字は第2次大戦の時にアメリカ兵に対するサービスを提供したということがあるそうですから、そのことではないでしょうか。検索すると下記の文が見つかりました。  During WWII the American Red Cross did indeed charge American servicemen for coffee, doughnuts, and lodging.  → http://www.snopes.com/medical/emergent/redcross.asp いろんなサービスがあったようで、赤十字なだけに誰にもサービスを提供してくれたのですが、もじゃもじゃの頭だとそれさえ提供してもらえないかもしれない、という冗談なのでは?

ukafgprk
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 いろいろ考えてたんですけど、さっぱり分からなくて。 そんなサービスがあったんですね。

関連するQ&A

• 英語のジョーク

英語のジョークなんですが、下記のジョークの 笑いどころが分からないんです。 もし、お分かりになる方がいらっしゃいましたら、 教えてください。 お願いします。 ********************************* Since a blonde girl couldn’t stand any longer hearing dumb jokes about her hair colour, she coloured her hair black. The following weekend, she had a trip to the countryside where she met a shepherd and many nice sheeps as well, and she asked the shepherd: When I guess how many sheeps you have, will you give me a lamb? The shepherd said: “OK, go ahead”. The blonde girl looked around and said: “You have 238 sheeps.” “Exactly, you are right!” the shepherd exclaimed. She picked up an animal and was right about to go, when the shepherd run after her and said: “One moment, please, when I guess what’s your natural hair colour, will you give me back my dog?” ********************************

• 英語のジョーク

I got a bottle of wine for my husband. It was nice trade. この英語のジョークの意味が、分かりません。 笑処が分かる方、教えて頂きたいです。 宜しくお願い致します。

• この英語のジョークがよく分かりません‥

彼に好意を持って頂いてるのですが、このジョークがよく分かりません。。 前のメール■「University in Japan sounds difficult! In ○○(その人の国名), There is no test. hmmmm... maybe that is not true. There is one University where there is "entrance exam war"... It is a school for girls only. ○○(その人の名前)University :D hahaha You have the best score ;) <3」 返信した後のメール■「Good luck in my University! The 'entrance exam' is very difficult. It is... very big and very hard. ;D hahaha 」

• malice

maliceの英語→和語の訳をお願いします。 "Ha ha! Why, Herr Settembrini, I find you are a mocker! " "A mocker? You mean I am malicious? Well, yes, perhaps I am, a little," said Settembrini. "My great complaint is that it is my fate to spend my malice upon such insignificant objects. I hope, Engineer, you have nothing against malice? In my eyes, it is reason's keenest dart against the powers of darkness and ugliness. Malice, my dear sir, is the animating spirit of criticism; and criticism is the beginning of progress and enlightenment. "   * Thomas Mann, The Magic Mountain 

• 同じ意味になるような英語、どれが正しい?

ほぼ同じ意味になるような英語の問題、どれが正しいか教えてください 英語の問題ですが、自分になりに答えを考えてみましたが、どれが正しいか分かりません。 出来れば覚えやすく、簡単な英語を使おうと考えました。 他の答えもあると思いますが、ずばり答えを解説付きで回答して頂けると、大変助かります。 分かる方教えてください。よろしくお願い致します。 A.ほぼ同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語(旬)を入れなさい。 Please remember me to your family. → Please give my ( ) to your family. (1)Please give my best to your family. (2)Please give my regard to your family. (3)Please give my good regard to your family. B.ほぼ同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語(旬)を入れなさい。 Is this her first visit to Nagoya? → Is this the first time ( ) to Nagoya? (1)Is this the first time she goes to Nagoya? (2)Is this the first time that she visit to Nagoya? C.ほぼ同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語(旬)を入れなさい。 You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. → I have ( ) such a beautiful woman like you. (1)I have not seen such a beautiful woman like you. (2)I have never seen such a beautiful woman like you. D.ほぼ同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語(旬)を入れなさい。 I stay up late, and she wakes up early. → I'm a night person, and she's an ( ). (1)I'm a night person, and she's an early bird. (2)I'm a night person, and she's an early riser. E.ほぼ同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語(旬)を入れなさい。 Does she live in this area? → Is she living ( )? (1)Is she living near here? (2)Is she living around here? (3)Is she living about here? F.ほぼ同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語(旬)を入れなさい。 Now I understand. → So that ( ). (1)So that explains. (2)So that explains it.

• 英語6

誰か次の問題がわかるかた教えてください 問1:2つの文がほぼ同じ意味を表すように( )に適切な語を入れなさい (1)a:I finished doing my homework a moment ago. b:I ( ) just ( ) ( ) my homework. (2)a:This is my first time to see such a huge pumpkin. b:I ( ) never ( ) such a huge pumpkin before. (3)a:Mr.Smith started to coach our soccer team last year.He is still our coach. b:Mr.Smith ( ) ( ) the coach of our soccer team since last year. (4)a:It began to rain last night. It is still raining. b:It ( ) ( ) ( ) since last night. 問2:次の日本語を英語にしなさい. 1:アンディが私たちのクラスで勉強しはじめてから2ヶ月経ちました 2:彼はカナダにある私たちの姉妹校からの留学です 3:私たちはカナダと日本の文化についていろいろと話し合ってきました 4:そのため,互いの文化について多くのことを学びました 5:次の日曜日に私は彼を夕食に招待します。妹は彼に会うのを楽しみにしています すいません。できる方お願いいたします

• 英語に関しての質問です

英語を勉強している者です。 分からない所があるので教えて下さい。 That is how I do it に関係する使い方で That is how it is supposed to be done がよくわかりません。 これがやるべき方法です や こうやるのです という意味ですよね。 これの考え方として be supposed to で何々する予定です、や 何々することになっている ということになりますよね。 加えて be done は受動態で ~される という使い方ですよね。 これだとガチガチの日本語にすると ~されるすることになっている方法です  もしくは 何々する予定とされている という事になりますが、 考えれば考えるほど意味が分からなくなってしまいました。 正しい考え方と訳し方を教えて下さい。 それと give it a try の使い方と一緒?かどうかはわからないですが give sales a try という使い方がとある英語サイトでありました。 全文だと I've been wanting to give sales a try. なのですが これはit を sales に変えただけですか? it の部分を名詞に変えて  (名詞)に挑戦してみたい という使い方ができる ということで合っていますでしょうか。 長くなりましたが教えて頂けると幸いです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語が苦手なので、メールの英文の翻訳をお願いします

下記の受信メールを翻訳してください。どうか宜しくお願い致します! Oka I'm going to do this the easy way and reply to all three e-mails in one. Firstly, yes, your address compared to mine is long. I will send your gift today and hopefully it wont take forever to get there, ha ha. Also I wanted to say thank you for the card you sent me on the UB website it was so cute! ^_^ . Thank you for explaining palate-teasing for me. Though I kinda guessed what you were saying when you said it, I was just unfamiliar with it the way you used it. Again I am sorry that my e-mail was confusing to you, I need to find a way to make it less confusing... ha ha ha. As for the ^_^ males can use it to. It's just a cute smiley face. I like it. It's also probably over used here in the US, ha ha. It is? I found a couple things online that give instructions...I'll have to look and see if they do..although I have not come across natto there.... Ha ha ha, thanks for the compliment. Glad to hear it, I've actually just acquired a few books and am working on learning how to read and write Japanese, and of course speak it... Though I think the writing and reading is going to come first since it's more difficult. Oh! congrats on passing the exam :D. Thank you for the song. I enjoyed it very much. I've always thought that song was cute. I hope this e-mail isn't confusing for you if it is ごめんなさい。 ha ha ha I wrote Japanese! (I hope it reads right... ^^;)

• フランス語に翻訳をしてほしいです。

フランス語を勉強する上で参考にしたいのでコレらの英文をフランス語にしてほしいです。 The apple is red. The apple is not red. Is the apple red? The apple was red. The apple will be red. It is John’s apple. It is not John's apple. Is it John's apple? It was John's apple. It will be John's apple. I give John the apple. I gave John the apple. Do you give John the apple? I gave John the apple I will give John the apple? We want to give him the apple. We do not want to give him the apple. Do they give him the apple? We gave him the apple. We will give him the apple. She gives it to him. She does not give it to him. Does she give it to him? She gave it to him. She will give it to him

• 英語が苦手なので、メールの英文の翻訳をお願いします

下記の受信メールを翻訳してください。どうか宜しくお願い致します! Ha ha, so I wasn't the only one... Don't worry about it though, I can still recieve mail under a false last name.... I think.. ha ha all well it shouldn't be a problem. Don't worry about the last name thing. We both forgot to tell each other and not only that but it didn't come across our minds that, that would happen. Ah, well one of the e-mails I sent in reply to the one about my family name I gave it to you. Sorry that came so late. I had gone to bed a while before you messaged me. Yes my first name is ********, **** is a nick name. Thank you for letting me know your family name, It'll be easier to send it now. Ha ha, okay, but if there is anyway for me to make it less confusing let me know... I'll work on my Japanese that way I can just message you that way and it'll be less confusing. Ha ha, it is difficult for us to learn Japanese, especially since you use charachters and your words are very different from ours but givien time I'm sure I'll get the hang of it quickly. I'm looking foreward to going to Japan one day too...lol. Well I'm going to go work on some homework. talk again soon! :D