• ベストアンサー

give her them

The shoes did not fit me so I gave her them/gave them to her. (高校一年生の模試から) という文ですが、 通常は gave them to her になるということは経験的に分かりますし、 gave her them には違和感を感じるのですが、 理由はとしてはどうなるのでしょうか? 通常高校ではどのように理由付けして教えるのでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

give 人 もの は「もの」,「何を与えるか」に重点が置かれます。 文末に厚みが置かれ,強めに発音される。 多くの場合,「人」が人称代名詞 me/you/him などで, 「もの」の方は初出の名詞。 だから,その「もの」が人称代名詞 it/them になった場合には避けられます。 発音上も弱く発音される it/them は置きにくい。 だから,give it/them と先にもってきて give it/them to 人 という形をとります。 本来,人が人称代名詞の場合は give me/you が自然なのですが, 両方人称代名詞であれば,give them to her とします。

nobitah
質問者

お礼

いつもありがとうございます。 よくわかりました。

その他の回答 (1)

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.1

〔give+人+物〕=〔give+物+to人〕 の方程式に適っています。 them = a pair of shoes

nobitah
質問者

補足

ありがとうございます。 実際の模試の問題から抜粋しています。 gave her themは間違いとして出題されているようです。 また、同僚のネイティブの講師ももgave her themには違和感を覚えるようです。 google検索もしてみたところ、やはりgave them herは頻度が極端に少ないのです。 私は帰国子女なので経験上、gave them to herの方が一般的だと言う事は分かるのですが、理由はこちらの方が圧倒的に頻度が高い、もしくは、自然という説明しかできません。他にもっと分かりやすい説明が欲しいのです。

関連するQ&A

• put them up to it

My mother complains constantly that her teenage grandchildren do not call or text her; however, she does not call or text them either, claiming, "I just don't want to bug anybody." On the rare occasion that she does reach out, usually via text, she is never satisfied with their response. I encourage my children to text her, but she accuses me of putting them up to it. putting them up to itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• とても急いでいます。この文章の訳、お分かりの方教えていただけませんか?

この日本語訳を教えていただきたいのです。 また加えて、「them」が何をさしているのか教えていただけますでしょうか? 恐縮ですが宜しくお願いいたします。 She was not eager for fresh acquairements among her thoughts, any more thn for fresh acquaintances among her friends;just as she liked faces to be familiar, so she liked ideas to be well-tested before she admitted 「them」 to the priviledge of her intimacy.

• ◆彼女を傷つけないように、あたしは(彼女に)そう言ったんだよ◆

◆彼女を傷つけないように、あたしは(彼女に)そう言ったんだよ◆ これを【口語文風に】英訳してもらえますか? I told her so in order not to hurt herでは固すぎますし、 so as not toに至っては日本でしか習わない表現です。 私は帰国子女なのですが、 I told her so, not to hurt her. が一番ネイティブの口語文としては自然だと思ったんです。 しかしこれって変ですか? ネイティブの英語に精通している方にお答えいただきたいです。 (日本語の文法解説云々は要りません、あしからず)

• 「just to be behind her and hold her and cry on her shoulder 」を和訳すると

これは こんな感じですか? http://e0x0e.img.jugem.jp/20081219_514564.gif それともこっちですか? http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_10a/yukiusablog/11283605.jpg [hold her]がちょっとわからないと、あと これについて 「Because I'm not good at being touched, こういうシチュエーションはだめだなぁ」っていったら 「it have nothing to do with touching you.」 って 言われたのですけど、 なぜなんでしょう??

• give that....

以下の英文でいくつか質問があります。 1.この文の構成は基本的に私たちはall the folksにthat以下のことをgiveするという理解でいいのでしょうか。 2.a heads-up to a day or two earlierのtoの役割は何でしょうか、省略は可能でしょうか。 3.we thoughtは挿入されているという解釈でいいのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。 So we can give all the folks that we gave a heads-up to a day or two earlier, we can say okay, it’s worse than we expected, it’s as expected, or maybe it’s a bit of a dud and is not going to be the impact we thought it might have here on Earth.

• ask for her company

"Must you wear those glasses?"  "Well, yes. The glare."  "The wearing of dark glasses," she said, "is a modern psychological phenomenon. It signifies the trend towards impersonalization, the weapon of the modern Inquisitor, it--"  "There's a lot in what you say." But I did not remove my glasses, for I had not asked for her company in the first place, and there is a limit to what one can listen to with the naked eye. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 (二人の女性が湖に歩いて来たところです) I had not asked for her company in the first placeの部分なのですが、 ここは、 私は第一に彼女に同伴することを求めなかった、でしょうか?(companyは動詞) それとも 私は第一に彼女の仲間(になること)を(自分自身に)求めなかった、でしょうか?(companyは名詞) どちらにもとれるのでしょうか? その場合は文脈から判断するのでしょうか? 前文は Coming to the edge of the lake we paused to look at our reflections in the water. It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. She had not stopped talking.  I put on my dark glasses to shield my eyes from the sun and conceal my recognition from her eyes.  "Am I boring you?" she said.  "No, not a bit, Dr Gray."  "Sure?"  It is discouraging to put on sun-glasses in the middle of someone's intimate story. But they were necessary, now that I had recognized her, and was excited, and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. となっています。(前文の冒頭が物語の出だしになっています) 教えてください。お願い致します。

• 英文の一部だけ解説お願いします。

There was a time in my life when I would not have been so sensitive to my friend's feelings. I would have probably given her a sermon about the benefits of discipline and the dangers of overeating and poor nutrition. However, I would not have succeeded in doing anything but making my friend feel guilty and condemned. When she asked me to share ideas that might help her I did so, 『 but with an attitude that did not make her feel that I had it all together and she was a mess.』 I have discovered that one way to love people is to help them not to feel worse about the things they already feel bad about. (Joyce Meyerの本より抜粋) かぎカッコをつけた部分だけ文法も含めた解説をお願いします。

• 英語の文法の問題

(1)I highly recommended she take walks regularly to stay fit. (2)I highly recommended her taking walks regularly to stay fit. (3)I highly recommended her to taking walks regularly to stay fit. この三つの文章の中で間違った文はありますか? なぜ間違っているのか理由も教えてくれると助かります よろしくお願いします

• この英文はどんな意味でしょう?

She said it's not a grudge you did wrong to her. よろしくお願いいたします。

• 大至急、翻訳をお願い致します。

Oh and did I mention shoes? I’ve come to understand that shoes can make, break or even be the outfit. They have a direct correlation to how she feels about her legs and body. Compliment your wife by telling her you think her shoes make her look sexy. Even surprise her with a new pair, but make sure you get the right size.