The Power of Effort: How Praise Can Impact a Child's Success

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Praising effort rather than innate intelligence can lead to greater success for children.
  • Research by Stanford psychologist Carol Dweck shows that children praised for effort outperform those praised for intelligence.
  • Praise for effort builds self-confidence and encourages children to strive for their best.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

訳をお願いいたします。

少し長いですが確認したいので訳を お願いいたします!! Times staffer Chuin-Wei Yap, who grew up in Singapore, said his parents praised him only for results - not for innate intelligence. Monika Jarosi-Kwong, who spent her childhood in Hungary and South Africa, said, "My parents were nurturing and that gave you self-confidence. They weren't always saying, 'good job.' It was more about doing your best." This is bad news for the self-esteem crowd. Over a 30-year career, Stanford psychology professor Carol Dweck has shown that the wrong kind of praise can stop a hard-working child in her tracks. Dweck and her fellow researchers have conducted numerous studies in which students were praised for their intelligence or praised for effort. In a short time, those praised for effort outperformed those praised for their smarts - despite prior academic success or shortfalls. Students praised for intelligence became fearful of looking dumb, while some students in the "effort group" went so far as to request additional work to take home.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

タイムズのスタッフ(社員)チュウイン-ウェイ・ヤップは、シンガポールで育ちましたが、彼の両親が、生来の知性ではなく ― 結果だけで彼を誉めると ― 言いました。 モニカ・ジャロシ-クォンは、ハンガリーと南アフリカで彼女の幼児期を過ごしましたが、「私の親は、子育て上手でした、それは自信を与えました。彼らは、いつも『よくやった』と言ってくれるわけではありませんでした。最善を尽くすことについての方が多かったです。」と言いました。 これは、自尊心支持派にとって悪い知らせです。 30年以上のキャリアを持つ、スタンフォード大学の心理学教授、キャロル・ドウェックは、間違った種類の称賛は、勤勉な子供を急に止まらせる可能性があることを示しました。 ドウェックと彼女の仲間の研究者は、多数の研究を行いました、その研究で、学生達は彼らの頭の良さを褒められたり、努力を褒められたりしました。 しばらくすると、努力をほめられた学生たちは、頭の良さをほめられた学生の成績を上回りました ― その前の学業での成功や足りない部分があったにも関わらずです。 頭の良さを褒められる学生は、頭が悪く見えることを恐れるようになりました、他方、「努力(を褒められる)グループ」の学生の中には、家に持ち帰る追加の課題を求める者さえいました。

ma-ma-mai
質問者

お礼

いつも助かっています!!

関連するQ&A

• 訳をお願いします!

確認したいのでお願いします。 As a parent, I seek to encourage my child in whatever way might help her to reach her potential. I find it difficult to stop myself praising him for being smart , as if telling her she is smart will help her to become more so. Dweck divides the population into two camps: those who view intelligence as fixed and unchangeable and those who see it as malleable - something that can be changed through effort. Kids reared in a fixed mindset household may seek to avoid challenges in order to continue appearing "smart." A child who has been reared with a growth mindset is more likely to seek challenges. The bigger the challenge," Dweck says, "the more they stretch."

• kの英文の訳をお願いいたします

In fact , I could see people stopping and helping others , and being just as concerned for the safety of those around them as they were for their own .

• 英文の訳をお願いします

Fragrance aimed at getting Singaporeans in the mood for love will soon be sold abroad, after being used in a government-backed campaign aimed at boosting the city-state's declining birthrate His and hers "Romance Singapore Eau de Parfum" will soon be exported to Asia, North America and Europe, said Jen Chan, marketing manager for the company that handles the scents, Cosmetical Asia Pte. Ltd. The perfumes---a floral essence for her and a musky scent for him--were created by chemistry students from Singapore Polytechnic prep school to coincide with the island country's "Romancing Singapore" campaign in February this year. The campaign was a government-backed effort to help citizens find love and boost the country's record-low birthrate. The perfumes are being marketed globally because of their "over-whelming popularity" Singapore Polytechnic said in a statement. "14,000 bottles of the perfumes handed out at various Romancing singapore events were snapped up and an additional 3,000 limited-edition bottles were sold out in record time," it said, without elaborating. The perfumes will be sold in 50-milliliter bottles at 49 Singapore dol-lars (US$29.70; euro23.7) locally from Friday

• 日本語訳を教えてください(かなり長文です)(1)

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superiorという記事の日本語訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids. They wonder what these parents do to produce so many math whizzes and music prodigies, what it's like inside the family, and whether they could do it too. Well, I can tell them, because I've done it. Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do: I'm using the term "Chinese mother" loosely. I know some Korean, Indian, Jamaican, Irish and Ghanaian parents who qualify too. Conversely, I know some mothers of Chinese heritage, almost always born in the West, who are not Chinese mothers, by choice or otherwise. I'm also using the term "Western parents" loosely. Western parents come in all varieties. All the same, even when Western parents think they're being strict, they usually don't come close to being Chinese mothers. For example, my Western friends who consider themselves strict make their children practice their instruments 30 minutes every day. An hour at most. For a Chinese mother, the first hour is the easy part. It's hours two and three that get tough. Despite our squeamishness about cultural stereotypes, there are tons of studies out there showing marked and quantifiable differences between Chinese and Westerners when it comes to parenting. In one study of 50 Western American mothers and 48 Chinese immigrant mothers, almost 70% of the Western mothers said either that "stressing academic success is not good for children" or that "parents need to foster the idea that learning is fun." By contrast, roughly 0% of the Chinese mothers felt the same way. Instead, the vast majority of the Chinese mothers said that they believe their children can be "the best" students, that "academic achievement reflects successful parenting," and that if children did not excel at school then there was "a problem" and parents "were not doing their job."

• 英文の訳がわからなくて困っています。

日本語訳を教えて下さい。 Long-term health survey The helth minirtry plans to launch a 10-year followup sur-vey on the physical and mentalhealth of 30, 000 people in the Tohoku region to gauge the impact of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami,ministry officials said Saturday. It will select 10,000 people each in Iwate,Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures to check the various physical and mental the fects caused by their direct experience of the disaster,their prolonged stays in the shelters,and how their conditions change over the comingyears. Professional care will be arranged for those found in need,the officials said. In June,the Health,Labor and Welfare Ministry is expected to set up a team of doctors,nurses and other experts from medical facilities in the prefectures as well as national hospitals. The ministry believes the redrawing up medium-and-long-term relief and welfare measures as well as health care services for future disasters,they said, “The population of the affected areas was already aging (before the disaster) and there were many people living without relatives,”said Ichiro Tsuji,a professor at Tohoku University. です。 よろしくお願いします。

• 至急日本語訳お願いします。

Since parents control who sleeps where, it is their everyday beliefs that dectde sleeping arrangements. In those cultures in which the prime parental goal s to integrate children into the family, the household, and society, babies are close at hand, even during the night. It is primarily in those societies (mostly in the industrialized West, especially in the United States) where a premium is placed on independence and self-reliance that babies and children sleep alone. Underlying this unconscious societal even more damental assumption made by Americans and some other groups- how we that children from day one has a major effect on how they turn out as adults. This philosophy is not shared by all cultures. The Mayans; for example, see mother and infant as one until that cannot be separated, and believe offspring are not ready for guidance until they can speak and reason, when they are older children. Newborns in their culture are not capable of being trained, and, they feel, should just be cared for. Sleep, in other words, can take nuance. And the basis for that morality is, of course, culturally constructed. American parents believe it is morally "correct" for infants to sleep alone and thus learn alertness ). They view child-parent co-sleeping as strange, psychologically unhealthy, and even sinful. Those in co-sleeping cultures see the Western practice of placing an infant alone as wrong and a form of child neglect or parental irresponsibility. Parents in both kinds of cultures are convinced that their moral structure is "correct" .

• 日本語訳を教えてください(かなり長文です)(5)

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superiorという記事の日本語訳教えてください。お願いします。 (And it's true that Chinese mothers get in the trenches, putting in long grueling hours personally tutoring, training, interrogating and spying on their kids.) Anyway, the understanding is that Chinese children must spend their lives repaying their parents by obeying them and making them proud. By contrast, I don't think most Westerners have the same view of children being permanently indebted to their parents. My husband, Jed, actually has the opposite view. "Children don't choose their parents," he once said to me. "They don't even choose to be born. It's parents who foist life on their kids, so it's the parents' responsibility to provide for them. Kids don't owe their parents anything. Their duty will be to their own kids." This strikes me as a terrible deal for the Western parent. Third, Chinese parents believe that they know what is best for their children and therefore override all of their children's own desires and preferences. That's why Chinese daughters can't have boyfriends in high school and why Chinese kids can't go to sleepaway camp. It's also why no Chinese kid would ever dare say to their mother, "I got a part in the school play! I'm Villager Number Six. I'll have to stay after school for rehearsal every day from 3:00 to 7:00, and I'll also need a ride on weekends." God help any Chinese kid who tried that one. Don't get me wrong: It's not that Chinese parents don't care about their children. Just the opposite. They would give up anything for their children. It's just an entirely different parenting model. Here's a story in favor of coercion, Chinese-style. Lulu was about 7, still playing two instruments, and working on a piano piece called "The Little White Donkey" by the French composer Jacques Ibert.

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (10) It is not surprising that Rhodopis enjoyed music. Tombs and temple walls are covered with images of dancers and musicians. There were percussion instruments―drums, cymbals, and tambourines. There were wind instruments―flutes and trumpets. And there were stringed instruments―harps, lyres, and lutes. Everyone enjoyed music, from the pharaoh to the field worker. No one loved a festival more than the Egyptians. Crowds sang and clpped along with the musicians who paraded through the streets. Dancers performed for the revelers, moving with the grace of gymnasts―cartwheeling, twirling, flipping, and gyrating to the rhythm. Music and dance were integral to Egyptian daily life. Workers labored to the beat, priests praised the gods in music and motion. Musicians and dancers entertained at banquests and ushered the dead at funerals. So, for a young servant girl to sing to the animals at day's end is not surprising at all. (11) Rhodopis twirled so lightly her feet barely grazed the ground. Unknown to Rhodopis, she was dancing near the tree where the old man slept and her movement woke him. He was so taken by her grace that he decided right then and there that her feet should have the finest shoes in the kingdom. "He ordered her a special pair of slippers. The shoes were gilded with rose-red gold and the soles were leather. Now the servant girls really disliked her for they were jealous of her beautiful slippers." (12) News traveled to their village that the king was having a party. The entire kingdom was invited. On the day of the party the servant girls put on their finest clothes. They gave Rhodopis a long list of chores and handed her mounds of laundry to be washed in the river. They laughed at her washing the clothes as they poled down the river to the king's banquet.

• この英文の訳について。

The researchers found that the majority of parents who took their children out of school were white British, and that children tended to be removed between finishing primary and starting secondary school. この部分の訳ですが、後半部分で行き詰っています…。 どなたかわかる方いらっしゃいましたら教えてください><

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (7) Ever the fastidious record keepers, Egyptians registered the child's name. All births, marriages, and deaths were recorded by the diligent scribes. Just as marriage required only a simple announcement to the proper authorities, so it was with a new child. To register a child the parents merely had to say something like what one princess said: "I gave birth to this baby that you see, who was named Merab and whose name was entered into the registers of the House of Life." (8) For the first three years a mother carried her baby around in a sling. One scribe tells children they should be appreciative. "Repay your mother for all her care. Give her as much bread as the needs, and carry her as she carried you, for you were a heavy burden to her." Breastfeeding for those first three years protected children from parasites in the drinking water. Digestive diseases were the most common illnesses for children. Mothers of sick children might recite this spell to ward off the evil spirit they thought to be the root of the problem: "Come on out, visitor from the darkness.... Have you come to do it harm? I forbid this! I have made ready for its protection a potion from the poisonous afat herb, from garlic which is bad for you, from honey which is sweet for the living but bitter for the dead."