• ベストアンサー

教えてください

Not long after that my wife, finally convinced that I was not going to pull out of this ugly downward spiral on my own, stepped in. という文章の中のthis ugly downward spiral とはどのような状態を喩えていると思いますか?この文の作者は、アルコール・ドラッグ中毒者なんですが。

noname#5427
noname#5427
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.3

このように、醜悪に、下へ下へと回転しながら落ちていく螺旋 悪循環どころか、悪く悪くなっていくという感じだと思います。 アルコール中毒者の場合、正気になったとき、酒に酔ったときの自分のことを考えてあるいは断片的にせよ思い出して、いたたまれない自己嫌悪におちいり、その嫌悪感から抜け出すために、また酩酊せざるを得なくなる、そしてまた酩酊状態に陥る。そして状況はどんどんわるくなるそうです。しかも自分の実感としてはただ同じことをくりかえしているだけのようだが、実際はどんどんわるくなっていくということを「螺旋」という表現でいっているのですね。 finally という感じでは、とうとうしてくれたという感じがあるので、奥さんが介入して(stepped in)、「私」を中毒から救ってくれたような感じがしますが、どうでしょうか

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.2

>Not long after that my wife, finally convinced that I was not going to pull out of this ugly downward spiral on my own, stepped in. not long after thatでそれから間もなく、 my wife ,.....,stepped in. となっています。 カンマで区切られた部分は、my wifeを説明していて my wife who finally convinced that... ...と云う事を確信した私の妻は・・ となっています。 確信した内容として、 I was not going to pull out of this ugly downward spiral このspiralは、螺旋でもありますが、悪循環と訳したら分かり良いのではないでしょうか。 私がこの醜い下向きの悪循環(悪い事にはまっていく様子)から抜き出す事が出来ないであろう >this ugly downward spiral とはどのような状態を喩えていると思いますか? と云う事から、アルコール中毒の状態に陥って、悪い状態にどんどん入って 深みから抜け出せない、どんどん落ちて行く様子をdownward spiralと表現しているのではないでしょうか。 奥さんはそれを確信していたのですね。

回答No.1

この醜い下方向へ向かう螺旋… ということで、みっともなく落ちぶれていく様ではないですか?しかも螺旋なので、きゅるきゅるきゅるーと瞬く間に落ちぶれていってしまったのではないでしょうか。

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

My 12-year-old daughter is not a pretty child. I know that makes me sound like a terrible parent, but it’s relevant to the question. I love her, and that makes her beautiful to me, but she doesn’t hit a lot of aesthetic markers for beauty. She has lots of other good qualities—academically, she is well ahead of the curve,she’s very compassionate, and she’s really a very sweet girl. Her schoolmates, however, prefer to focus on her physical appearance, and there’s been some bullying this year. My wife always reassures her that the girls are just jealous, that she’s going to be more beautiful than any of them—the whole ugly duckling skit. However, I was an ugly little kid—there was a lot going on—and I knew it; I had a mirror. The lies my parents told me to comfort me just made me feel worse, because how terrible must it be to ugly that they’d lie to me about it? the whole ugly duckling skitはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、how terrible must it be to ugly that they’d lie to me about it? の和訳もお願いします。to uglyは見たことがない形なのですが、ミスプリでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• notについて

お世話になっております。 以下についてお教え頂けないでしょうか。 However, my business partners have convinced me that not everyone feels the way I do. (1) not がどうしてこの位置にあるのでしょうか?倒置でしょうか?このような文法を始めてみました。 (2)that everyone does not feel~に置き換えれますでしょうか? ご指導のほど何卒宜しくお願い申し上げます。

• property deal close/Get my wife off

property deal close/Get my wife off my back ↑これはどういった意味でしょうか 全文:(How are you? →)I'll be a lot better once I get that cheque. Get this property deal close. Get my wife off my back.

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

He added: "I think at this point Scott just got fired from STONE TEMPLE PILOTS and I think he's trying to pull off that trick of trying to get something else going on, and we're not buying it. The door's shut on this side and it's probably shut on that side too, so he's on his own. And he deserves it, too." ※ 『Scott』は人物名、『STONE TEMPLE PILOTS』はバンド名です。

• herself

herself "So this is where you're going to be staying. And this is the Queen of the manor herself, my wife Kirsten." あるドラマのセリフから。 ここの、"And this is the Queen of the manor herself."で使われてる「herself」ってどういう意味ですか?? いや、意味は「彼女自身」ってわかるのですが、文脈でつなげるとよくわかりません。 どなたか説明願います><

• よろしくお願いします

When my neighbors take their annual two-week vacation, I water their extensive flowers every day and take in their mail. I've been doing this for 10 years, and all I ever received was a thank-you and a few daylily transplants. Recently, I had a severe bout with diverticulitis and was in a lot of pain. I could hardly pick up my own mail, much less theirs. This didn't make the wife happy. extensive flowersは「たくさんの花」でしょうか?あと、This didn't make the wife happy.のThisはThatやItでも良いのでしょうか?違いは生じるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• workとwork out

Last night, I received my umpteenth call from my sobbing, devastated sister (mid-20s) over yet another semi-hookup-flirty-thing guy that didn't work out. He is moving away and she found out via an announcement at work, not from him. This is a years-long pattern. She falls for jerks -- i.e., they consistently bail on plans, girlfriends still in the picture, conveniently call only on weekends -- then is utterly devastated when it doesn't work. She's convinced she is "unlovable," "boring" and "ugly" even though she is a beautiful, smart, funny, successful, athletic, kind and thoughtful person. She says things like, "I can't do this anymore," and, "I don't want to do life if this is how it's going to be." workとwork outが同じような意味で出てきていますが、違いはあるのでしょうか?どちらを使っても良いのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My partner and I recently got engaged and have begun the wedding planning. While we both agree that we would prefer a low-key, inexpensive event, some amount of money is still going to be spent, and we are having trouble raising the funds on our own. I know that it is typical for the father of the bride to pay for the majority of the expenses, but being that there is no bride, this makes things more difficult. My fiancé’s parents are well off and very supportive, but my own parents, especially my father, are not as well off. My question is: How do I go about asking either parent for financial support for this wedding? If I want this wedding to go the way I’d like, I need some type of financial aid. Gay marriage is fairly new, so there doesn’t seem to be any precedent set for this. being that there is no brideの意味と用法について教えてください。あと、any precedent set for thisの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• held herself out

I’ve just discovered that my dad has children by another woman (Note to cheaters: Facebook isn’t as secret as you think it is). This other woman has held herself out as my father’s wife. held herself out as my father’s wifeはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I recently lost my wife after many years together. It was an amazing marriage, and I miss her immensely. I am looking to find a companion. The problem is, my daughter is not in my corner on this issue. not in my cornerは「賛成していない」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします