What Does 'as' Mean in This Context?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • There is confusion about the meaning of 'as' in this context. It could either mean 'so' in the sense of 'very' and modifying 'bad', or it could be a shortened version of 'as bad as', with the omitted part inside the parentheses.
  • While the medical community says Vitamin C does not prevent colds, there is evidence that it helps reduce their severity.
  • Although 'as' is used in a way that is not commonly found in dictionaries, it is likely to be either an intensifier meaning 'very', or a shortened form of 'as bad as' with the omitted part being 'bad'.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

この”as” はどいう意味?

ここでの ”as” はどいう意味で使われていますか? 私は、下記のどちらかかなと考えています。 よろしくお願いします。 (1) "so (とても)"の意味でbad を修飾しているのかな考えていますが、辞書で調べてもそういう使い方は見つかりませんでした。 (2)as bad (as ~ )の()の中が省略されている? Though the medical community says Vitamin C does not help prevent colds, there is definitely some proof that it helps keep them from being as bad. --補足-- 【前後の文】 While there is no actual cure for the common cold, Dr. Mishori says there are still a few things you can do to help reduce its duration and intensity. Though the medical community says Vitamin C does not help prevent colds, there is definitely some proof that it helps keep them from being as bad. “So if you catch a cold and on day one you start taking about two grams of 【出展】 VOA:http://www.voanews.com/english/news/health/Think-You-Know-All-About-the-Common-Cold--Think-Again-120059924.html

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

as ~ as という「同じくらい」の as です。 You should study harder. 比較級であれば,この harder は「今よりもっと」 とわかりやすいと思います。 -er than と as as は同じような関係です。 -er だけで than ~が自明なら省略。 as ~が自明なら後の as ~は省略し,最初の as だけ残る。 すなわち,「同じくらい悪く」で 何と同じくらいかというと,「今の状態と同じくらい」で自明。 ビタミン C で風邪の予防にはならないが,(今ある程度の風邪をひいていて) それと同じくらいを妨げる, この prevent は「そうならないようにする」という否定的にとらえられ, 「今ほど悪い状況にはならないようにする」 すなわち,「今より症状を緩和する」 という意味合いになります。

dartymac
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。よくわかりました!!

関連するQ&A

• asの訳し方

You should leave your heavy clothing here as it is warmer there. この文なんですが、asの訳し方がわかりません。 教えてほしいです。どなたかお願いします。

• as long asの使い方について

以前もこの質問を投稿したのですが、誰も答えてくれないようなので、これを最後にもう一度投稿したいと思います。 (質問) You must answer (as long as/ the moment) you are called.(桜美林大) 1.答えはthe momentということですが、as long as の使い方がよく分かりません。「呼ばれたら、返事しなさい。」という風に考えて、as long as=if(?)なので、使えないでしょうか? 2.(できれば、)as long as/as far asの使われる状況、使われない状況を説明していただければ幸いです。 You can borrow my car as long as you fill up the gas tank when you're finished. Any sport will do as long as it is interesting. このようなパターンだとすぐに答えは分かるのですが、You must answer as long as you are called.はなぜ間違いなのか説明できません。

• more than と as ~ as について

There is nothing I hate more than being asked, "What are you hobbies ." 上記の英文でmore thanをas much asにしてはいけない理由ってなんでしょうか? 必ずあるはずなんです!お願いします。

• "as many of you as"の文法的解説

次の英文例の中の"as many of you as"がわかりません。どなたかご解説いただけないでしょうか。 For as many of you as were baptized into Chirist have put on Christ. 「as A as B」 は 「Bと同じくらいA」 ですよね。 この文例の場合、二つめのasの後にBに相当するものが無いように思え、理解できずにいます。 ちなみに、前後の文章は次のようになっています。 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. どうぞよろしくお願いします。

• 意味の違いがわかるように和訳教えてください

意味の違いがわかるように和訳教えてください 1―A I like dogs which are faithful. 1-B I like dogs , which are faithful. 2-A He is one of my friends who help me with my homework. 2-B He is the only one of my friends who helps me with my homework. 3-A There is no student that I know who works as hard as Tom. 3-B There is no student that I teach English which is not useful. よろしくお願いします

• 「いわば(so to speak, as it were, in a

「いわば(so to speak, as it were, in a sense)」と「いわゆる(so called, what we[you] call, what is called)」の違いを明快にしていただけますか?

• wireの意味

Never accept checks from strangers, as there are a multitude of bad-check scams out there, and don't wire money to anyone you don't know. 何故か辞書にそれらしい意味が載ってなかったのですが、wireはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 翻訳お願いします 英→日

Hello, sorry about that; unfortunately our old captcha bypass has been patched so the recaptcha you see here will come up randomly. It may not always be the case as you noticed so there is a bit of luck involved. Currently there is no bypass (for any bot) on the market, but we will definitely add it in as soon as it becomes available!

• この英文あってる???

Come and help me!I've got a cold and I've lost my sense of taste.BTW Is it true that you recover from colds when you give them to someone else?:D

• 英文の翻訳お願いします。

大変でも以下の英文の翻訳お願いします。 How is your business these days? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you. We appreciate you as a customer.