The Evolution of Influence: Understanding the Syntax of 'It was far from... as... as'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The phrase 'It was far from... as... as' in the second sentence refers to the limited influence exerted by the sovereignty of the people on the government of society at that time.
  • This syntax implies that the level of influence was significantly lower in the past compared to the present.
  • By using the phrase 'far from,' the author emphasizes the substantial difference between the influence then and now.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

It be far from ~ as ~ as

二文目にある、It be far from ~ as ~ asとなっている構文について、どうして二文目の訳の様になるのか解説してください。よろしくお願い致します。 I have already observed that, from their origin, the sovereignty of the people was the fundamental principle of most of the British colonies in America. It was far, however, from then exercising as much influence on the government of society as it now does. 二文目の訳 「しかしながら、当時それが社会の統治に与えた影響は、今日と比べれば微々たるものだった」 ちなみに自分の解釈はこうです。 「・・・はfarである/then exercisingが同様に社会に影響があった/it now doesと(同様に)」 →「『it now doesと同様に社会の統治に影響があったthen exercising』というものからは程遠い」 It was far from が then exercising (as much influence as it now does.) の全体に掛かっているのでしょうか。fromの後ろが馴染めません。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#183197
noname#183197
回答No.1

とりあえず分解して、 その当時は It was (then) exercising an influence on the government of society「社会の統治に影響を与えていた」 今は It does now = It exercises much influence on the government of society「社会の統治に大きな影響を与えている」 as .. as でつないで It was then exercising as much influence on the government of society as it does now 直訳すると「今と同じほど大きない影響を与えている」 far from 「少しも~でない」を加えると、否定の意味になり、 「今と比べると当時は少しも影響を与えていない」

cn242m
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。大変理解しやすく、勉強になりました。

関連するQ&A

• as far as と as much as

A: Does Jack live in the suburbs or in the center of the city? B: As (  ) as I know, he lives near the center. far/long/ much という問題があって正解は far ですが、どうして much が間違いなのかがわかりません。 As much as I don't want to, I have to agree with that. 嫌々ながら、それには同意せざるを得ない。 という例文がありました。

• as recently as

That earthquake in Mexico happened a long time ago, didn't it?" "No, it was 【as recently as】 last year. のas recently as がよくわかりません。 普通の as ~ as は、 Tom is as tall as John. だと、Tom is tall.という文が隠されています。 It was as white as snow. にしても It was white. が隠されています。 I walked as far as the station.も I walked far.が元にあります。 しかし、それなら、it was 【as recently as】 last year. は、It was recently.となってよさそうなものですが、そうはなりません。どうしてでしょうか?

• as reassuring as ...

以下の文で、as reassuring as ... の部分がいまいちはっきりしません。解説をお願いできますでしょうか。 As reassuring as Reilly's words may have seemed, anyone with even a passing knoeledge of the modern food system knew the story was far from over.

• far from はどこに係るのでしょうか?

レイモン・アロンという人の文章からの引用部分の構文を教えて下さい。 The French writer Raymond Aron once described American policy as a series of 'swings between the crusading spitit and a withdrawal into isolation far from a corrupt world that refused to heed the American Gospel'. 私は、far from が isolation を修飾していると考えて、 「フランス人文筆家であるレイモン・アローンは、かつてアメリカの政策を、一連の『十字軍魂と、アメリカの教義への追従を拒否する堕落した世界から遠く離れた孤立への撤退の間、を揺れ動き』と描いている」 と考えました。でも、なにかしっくりきません。「もしかしたら swings 係るのかな?」とも考えたのですが、、、よく分かりません。 文法の強い方、教えて下さい!

• ここのasはどうやって読めばいいですか?

こんばんは。asでわからないことがあるので教えて下さい。 "Monday. Hamberger night. As it was, is now, and shall be." この文のas以下のところをどうやって読めばいいのかわかりません。あと意味だけじゃなく文法的にどうなのかということも併せて教えてもらえますか。よろしくお願いします。

• as it did

インドネシアのPorongで起きた災害についての記事です。 その災害が起きた最初の中心地の近くで 天然ガスの採掘のための工事が行われており、その工事中におきたことについての文章です。 To prevent a potentially dangerous blowout, the drillers shut vents at the surface, effectively corking the pressure inside the well. But it was to late. Water from a pressurized aquifer thousands of feet below the surface surged upward, picking up debris from a layer of mudstone as it did. この最後の as it did がわかりません。 itはなにをさすのでしょうか。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• as as について

I wish it was as easy to cut down on stress as it is to get rid of polyps. の文についてですが、この場合のas as は比較でしょうか? その場合、後者のit is が不明です。構文も含め、解釈自体が誤っている場合でもご教授頂ければ幸いです。 宜しくお願いします。

• itの内容を指す語句

答えをだしましたが、本文全体の訳に自信がないため、苦戦しています。「it」はどの部分(語句?)を指しているのでしょうか?あっているかどうかご回答よろしくお願いします(><) 1) Perhaps diligence has been a part of the national character from its very origins, and on the other hand 『it』is possible to see Chinese influence-or perhaps it is only a chinese way of describing what was there all along. The notion of the do or the michi `the way`,goes by both a chinese and a japanese name,and『 it』 may be either or both. ・最初のit は 「 diligence has been a part of the national character from its very origins 」 を指していると思うのですが、長すぎるでしょうか? 二つ目のitは 「The notion of the do or the michi `the way`」 を指していると思います。 ------------ 2) A concern with diligence was also a part of tokugawa Confucianism,which was in many ways as japanese as 『it』 was Chinese. ・「A concern with diligence was also a part of tokugawa Confucianism」を指していると思います。 itは基本的に前の文を指すと思っていたのですが、違う場合もあるようで後の文のせないのは不安です(的外れで、ご迷惑がかからなければいいのですが;;)間違っていた場合はもう1度訳しなおします。 的外れな答えばかりだと思いますが、ご回答お願いいたします。

• 前置詞の from について

After the earthquake hit Japan in 2011, he wondered how to help as a craftsperson. Then he came up with an idea. It was to make violins from driftwood from the disaster. 3文目の from the disaster の from は「原因」を表しているのでしょうか。普通に「~から」と訳すと「災害からの流木からバイオリンを作る」と意味がわかりにくいです。 ご教示頂ければ幸いです。宜しくお願い致します。

• so far 「今まで、今までのところ」

I have so far bought two shirts and a pair of shoes. 参考書にこの文の so far は、イコール until now と解説してありましたが、本当にそうなんですか? 僕は so far = up to now だと思うのですが…。