A New Method of Change: Exploring the Meaning of 'a Side Note'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Discover a new method of change that allows for interaction and resource sharing without feeling uncomfortable or guilty. Learn about stories of the poor that go beyond traditional narratives, where being poor is merely a 'side note'.
  • 'A side note', in this context, refers to something that is mentioned briefly or in passing. It is not the main focus of the discussion. In the speaker's stories about the poor, being poor is not the central theme; rather, it serves as background information or a minor detail.
  • Furthermore, the speaker shares a new way of interacting and sharing resources that doesn't evoke negative emotions. This method offers a potential solution for connecting with others and contributing without feeling weird or remorseful.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語 side note

Now, when I heard him speak, it was exciting for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I learned about this new method of change in the world that, for once, showed me, maybe, a way to interact with someone and to give, to share of a resource in a way that wasn’t weird and didn’t make me feel bad. That was exciting. But more importantly, he told stories about the poor that were different than any stories I had heard before. In fact, those individuals he talked about who were poor was sorts of a side note. 最後の一文のa side noteはどういった意味でしょうか?何かの例えですか?those individualsは貧困層でmictolendingを受けて事業を起こそうとする人々のことです。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

#1です。 >>とうことはthose individuals was sorts of a sidenoteで「それらの個々人はついでにすぎない」ということになりますが、those individualsは話のメインポイントではないでしょうか?  この話はインドか何処かの小規模融資のことかと思いますが、対象が貧困だ、ということはメインポイントではなくて、対象が少しでも融資があればそれを生かして地域全体を向上させる意気込みがある、ということだと思います。  言い換えれば相手が富裕層か貧困層か、ということは「ついで」なので、大切なことは少額の融資を最大限に活用する能力が期待できるということだと思います。 

eigo-eigo-eigo
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 なるほど。すごくしっくりきました。thoseがindividuals who were poorを限定していたんですね。 助かりました。またよろしくお願い致します。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

sidenote は、下記のように「傍注」です。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/sidenote/UTF-8/  ですから、話の主要な点ではなくて、いわば「横路」「付け足し」「寄り道」「ついで」みたいに出て来たに過ぎない、といった意味です。

eigo-eigo-eigo
質問者

お礼

わざわざリンクまで貼っていただいてありがとうございます。 とうことはthose individuals was sorts of a sidenoteで「それらの個々人はついでにすぎない」ということになりますが、those individualsは話のメインポイントではないでしょうか?一部なのでなんとも言えないと思いますが、一応該当文の直後の英文ものせて置きます。 He was talking about strong, smart, hardworking entrepreneurs who woke up every day and were doing things to make their lives and their family’s lives better. All they need to do that more quickly and to do it better was a little bit of capital. It was an amazing sort of insight for me.

関連するQ&A

• 英語の長文和訳。

英語が得意な人が居ましたら、 和訳をお願いします。 I'm glad that I can talk to you about my life here in Texas. I can't believe that about Three months have already passed since I came. Every day has been so exciting for me. I have always been interested in America. I began to study English when I was ten years old. Since then I have wanted to be able to speak English well. Soon after exciting high school in Japan. I hoped to go to America. So I studied very hard. At last my dream came true and I arrived in Texas. I have made so many friends through living and studying here in America. Last week one of my friends, Kate, invited me to dinner. Her parents went to Japan last lear. She showed me some pictures they took to remember their trip. At dinner, Kate's mother asked me about Japanese cooking. She said, "I hear that tofu is very healthy, but I don't know many ways to cook it. Maki, could you tell me a few different ways to cook it?" putting tofu in miso soup was the only way I could think of. later, Kate's father asked me about haiku. He said,"I hear that haiku was born in Japan. Would you tell me about Japanese haiku?" I couldn't tell him about haiku because I don't remember anything I learned about it. After dinner, we talked about our towns. Kate asked me the population of mine, but I couldn't answer that question,either. I was surprised to be asked questions like those. Before coming here, I read a lot of books about America, not Japan. My friends here want to know about Japan as much as I want to know about America. I never thought of that before. I now understand that it is important to learn about one's own country and to be able to talk about it. 以上です。 誤字や脱字があったらすみません。 和訳、宜しくお願いします。

• 英語の得意な方にお願いです。

英語の得意な方にお願いです。 長いですが、和訳をお願いします。 課題で和訳をしなければならないのですが、 自分なりの、和訳が合っている自信がありません。 Poverty is Denial of All Human Rights Peace should be understood in a human way - in a broad social, political and economic way. Peace is threatened by unjust economic, social and political order, absence of democracy, environmental degradation and absence of human rights. Poverty is the absence of all human rights. The frustrations, hostility and anger generated by abject poverty cannot sustain peace in any society. For building stable peace we must find ways to provide opportunities for people to live decent lives. The creation of opportunities for the majority of people - the poor - is at the heart of the work that we have dedicated ourselves to during the past 30 years. Grameen Bank I became involved in the poverty issue not as a policymaker or a researcher. I became involved because poverty was all around me, and I could not turn away from it. In 1974, I found it difficult to teach elegant theories of economics in the university classroom, in the backdrop of a terrible famine in Bangladesh. Suddenly, I felt the emptiness of those theories in the face of crushing hunger and poverty. I wanted to do something immediate to help people around me, even if it was just one human being, to get through another day with a little more ease. That brought me face to face with poor people's struggle to find the tiniest amounts of money to support their efforts to eke out a living. I was shocked to discover a woman in the village, borrowing less than a dollar from the money-lender, on the condition that he would have the exclusive right to buy all she produces at the price he decides. This, to me, was a way of recruiting slave labor. I decided to make a list of the victims of this money-lending "business" in the village next door to our campus. お願いします><

• 英語を訳してください!

I spent Saturday night in a small hotel not many miles distant from Oxford. It was a peaceful little hotel that fell quietly asleep in the darkness as soon as the voices of the last birds and the last beer-drinkers had faded into silence. Weary as a result of unaccustomed exposure to the air, I fell under the soporific influence of the place, went early to bed, and was asleep before midnight. Suddenly between twelve and one, I was awakened by a crash. The house shook as though a football team were tumbling over the furniture in the room below. A gramophone began to whine rhythmically about love. Whether it was dancing or fighting that was going on to the music I did not know, but whatever it was, the violence was such that I was surprised that the house did not come falling about my ears. 上の文章を日本語に訳していただきたいです。 特に最後の一文が分かりにくいので、面倒でしたらそこだけ訳してくださっても構いません。よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いします!

和訳をお願いします! I think that he’s an incredible dreamer, incredibly naïve, he’s incredibly smart in what he wants to be smart at he’s one of those guys that knows ten thousand little things but doesn’t know much about one big thing and it was really fun, it was really fun to read and... Again there was something inspiring about it, there was something child like about it. There was something oddly brave about it and the thing that was very cool about the part to me was that he’s a simple guy and in his simplicity he doesn’t over think the world. And so he just lets the world happen to him and I think that that’s a blessing a lot of the time. ある俳優のインタビューです。 自分の役柄について聞かれ答えているのですが、どうしても意味が理解できないんです。。。 長文ですが宜しくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 英語長文です!!

Something happened once when my friend Jack was Living in Minnesota-- something that he didn`t consider any big deal.I called Jack`s house to speak with him, and the phone was answerd by an unfamiliar voice. The radio was playing loudly in the background, and for a moment I thought I might have dialed an incorrect number. The voice on the other end said a few labored words that I could`t understand, and then stopped. The rock music from the radio continued. I stayed on the line, concerned that something was wrong. Three or four minutes passed, and finally I heard another phone being picked up in the house. I heard Jack`s voice say, ‘Hello?‘ I said hello back, and I said I`d thought that a foreigh-born person or a person who was unable to speak clearly had answerd his phone, I asked him if anything troubling was going on. `I`ll tell you in a minute,` he said, and his voice went away and soon enough I could hear it in the room where the other phone was off the hook-- the room from which I was hearing the rock music. I heard Jack say , I`ve got it,honey.` Then.`It`s all right. Thank you for answering.` He hung up that phone,and when I heard him again he could talk without her listening. `She`s such a sweettheart,` he said, and then explained. He had been out of town on business, and when he returned the girl -- the girl who had answerd the phone with such difficulty -- had moved into his house. His wife Janice was working as a schoolteacher, and at the school where she taught there were children who had severe disabilities.This girl was one of those children. She had been born with a serious problem that had affected her both physically and mentally. It was not the kind of illness that surgery or medicine could fix.

• 英語詳しい方

次の文を一番正しく英語表記してるのはどれですか? 「3番目の匿名企業のテスト期間は3ヶ月と聞いてますが何月から何月までですか? また、この企業の名前を確認する方法はありますか?」 (1)I have heard that the investigative period of corporations remaining anonymous is three months, from which month to which month is it? Is there a way to check the name of this company? (2)I have heard that the investigative period of corporations remaining anonymous is three months, from what month to what month is it? and Is there a way to check the name of this company? (3)I have heard that the investigative period of corporations remaining anonymous is three months, from what month to what month is it? Is there a way of finding out the name of such corporations? これ以外にもあれば教えてください

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

I was in the cafe by the north entrance to the station, reading my paper and having a coffee .I had an appointment with a client nearby and I was killing time because I'd arrived half an hour early.I suddenly heard a terrible shout, and when I looked out of the window,I saw that a woman was in the middle of the crossing. I assumed she'd fallen off her bicycle because it was lying on the tracks and all her shopping had come out of her basket.People were calling out to her from the road.Some were telling her to stay put and others were telling her to get off the crossing. She didn't seem to know what to do.She just say there.One of the waiters in the cafe saw this and ran out to get her.

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

He continued: "Chester was really the only person we thought of having come in. He was a fan of STP and when we talked to him his full idea was 'If we're going to do this, I want to do this honoring the past but moving forward in a direction with contributing something valid to music.' That's where we really agreed in the utmost — having that sentiment of moving forward. "There's a lot of songs that I'm really anxious to play, especially with someone who can sing those songs and perform those songs the way they were written.

• この英語を日本語へ翻訳お願いします。

なんとなくは分かるのですが、知らない単語があり的確に訳せません...。 お力添えお願いします。 don't think that way .... i understand your situation . i know how it feet to be in that type of situation . here is something to make you feel better . don't worry i still think that you are a wonderful person and thank you! for be in honest .... i respect you ... now think about this " ( That me think that you are the best person in the world and is happy for the way you are! ) " and only think about it all day so you feel better

• 英語

The attitudes of young women in nineteenth-century America were very different from (1) girls today. Before World War I, girls rerely mentioned their bodies in terms of ways for self-improvement or struggles for personal identity. Becoming a better person meant paying (2) attention to the self, giving more assistance to others, and putting more effort into reading or lessons at schools. When girls in the nineteenth century thought about ways to improve themselves, they almost always focused on their internal character and how it was reflected in outward beiaviors.  This difference is illustrated in the tone of personal diaries. In 1892, a teenager wrote in her personal diary: “(myself,I,to,talk,am,determined,about,not), to work seriously, and to be modest in conversation and actions.”  A century (3), American girls think very differently. In a New Year's resolution written in 1992, a girl wrote, “I will try to make myself better in any way I possibly can with the help of my babysitting money. I will lose weight, get new lenses, a new haircut, good makeup, new clothes and accessories.”  This short declaration clearly shows (A) girls feel about themselves in contemporary America. Like many adults in American society, girls today are concerned with the shape and appearance of their bodies as a primary expression of their individual identity. ・(1)アanything of イnothing of ウthat of エthose of (2)アclose イfull ウless エsteady (3)アago イearlier ウlater エolder 自分はエ、ウ、ウにしました。 ・( )内の語句整序 ・(A)にはthatを入れました。 お願いします。