• ベストアンサー

英文の訳で、理解できないのでおしえてください。

英文の訳で、理解できないのでおしえてください。 As much as Walt Whitman, Emerson helped open Aperican poetry to new possibilities. open を、「開かれたアメリカ詩」とするのか 「開かれる」のを手助けしたのか。 文法的にもどうなっているのか分かりません。 『Walt Whitmanと同様、 Emersonはアメリカ詩の 新しい可能性の扉を開いた』 と、無理矢理に訳しました。 文の構造も理解したいので よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数7

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.3

動詞が二つ続くパターンとしてこのカテでもおなじみですね。 help O to 原形 help O 原形 いずれも,「O が~するのを助ける」「O を助けて~させる」 O がないこともあり, help (to) 原形 で助ける相手が自明で「~するのを助ける」 あるいは「~するのに役立つ」と訳せばうまくいくことも多いです。 今回は「~するのに尽力した」くらいでいいと思います。 すなわち open は動詞です。 open American poetry to new possibilities において,American poetry は open の目的語ということになります。 「アメリカの詩の世界に新しい可能性を開く」とした方がわかりやすいかもしれません。 しかし,open O to ~で「~に向かって世界などを開く」という意味合いがあり, 「新しい可能性へと向かって,米国の詩の世界を切り開いていく」という感じになるでしょう。 何となく,では American poetry open としてもいいのかもしれませんが,英語はそうはなっていません。

aiciaiciai
質問者

お礼

open ...to~で、~にむかって世界などを開くという意味があったのですね。 openは American poetryの目的語だと思っていました。 help 目的 不定詞で、 目的が無いことがあるんですね^^; やっと納得できました。 ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (2)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

>>『Walt Whitmanと同様、Emersonはアメリカ詩の新しい可能性の扉を開いた』 これでいいです。  うるさいことを言えば「アメリカの詩に新しい可能性を開くのを助けた」になります。ここの open は、to のない、「原形の不定詞」、とか、「不定詞の原形」と呼ばれるもので、下記の(注3)に help との用法が上がっています。  http://www.eibunpou.net/08/chapter18/18_3.html

aiciaiciai
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます!! なんとなく、原型不定詞だと、 Emerson helped American poetry open to.... となるのかな、と思ったので 悩んでしまったんです。 American poetry と open が倒置というか、 逆になっていると考えてよいのでしょうか。 細かいことまですみません。 よろしくお願いします。

• cowstep
  • ベストアンサー率36% (756/2081)
回答No.1

openは動詞です。 次の文例のように、helpの後のtoは省略可能です。 I helped my mother (to) wash the dishes.

関連するQ&A

• 詩の和訳をおねがいします。

前半の意味は理解できるのですが、後半の意味がわかりません。教授してください。          As poetry is the harmony of words,so much is that of notes.

• 英文を訳してください

Yet the very nature of the new weapon proved a mixed blessing, making it as much a source of provocation as of diplomatic leverage. こちらの文の前半なのですが、 a mixed blessingはどのように訳せばいいのでしょうか? 内容はアメリカが核兵器(原爆)を作ったなどの話の流れなのですが、 「しかし、新しい武器の本質は外交的な力のように、多くの挑発の源泉となって~を証明した」となると思うのですが…。 わかる方訳して欲しいです。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• なぜこの訳になるのですか?

こんばんは。いつもお世話になっています。 先ほど、アメリカのアニメを観ていたら、ここはなぜこの訳になるのだろうか?という部分がありました。 A: Wow, we've got $500!! B: Hey, how wonderful! Our first plesant surprise. C: It's not the money as much as the feeling that we earned it. (英語字幕では、It's not the money. It's the feeling that we earned it.となっています) わからない部分はCの台詞です。日本語字幕では「いい気分よね」としかなっていません。なぜこういった訳になるのでしょうか?できれば文法的解釈も交えて教えていただけたら幸いです。 ご回答はお時間がある時で結構です。よろしくお願いします。

• as much asの使い方

as much asがわかりません。テキストに以下英文と和訳がありました。 "Breadfruits has as much potassium as 10 bananas."(ブレッドフルーツにはバナナ10本分に相当するカリウムが含まれます。) (1)文法的に理解できませんので、説明をお願いします。 (2)「~分に相当する」という言い方についていろんなサイトを調べましたが、〇times as much as ~みたいなのがよく見受けられました。もし言い換えたらBreadfruits has potassium 10 times as much as bananas do.というふうにいうことも可能ですか?

• 課題内容の解釈(英文学)

初めて質問させていただきます。 私はただいまイギリスに交換留学中で、Love Poetryという授業を受講しています。そのなかで、ESSAYの課題の一つの解釈に困っています。 課題は "Like any other actors in the human comedy, they speak most piercingly when they speak most personally, and because they speak personally their statements are as various as their fingerprints’ (Jon Stallworthy on love poets). Discuss this statement in the light of love poetry from more than one period" というものです。授業内容は、Love Poetry という愛の詩集から、時代ごとに作者、詩をピックアップし、その解釈を考えながら理解するというものです。この課題は留学生用のものです。 「役者は、個人的な内容を表現するせりふを言うとき、鋭い口調になる」 これについて1つ以上の時代から該当する詩を選び、述べよ。 でよいんでしょうか?それにしても、なぜ詩と役者が結びついているのでしょうか?多くの詩人は劇作家としても有名だから、でしょうか? なにしろ、日本でしていた勉強とは分野が違い、英文学初心者なもので、対訳の詩集などで勉強はしているものの、なかなか身につかないので、どなたか解釈の例を挙げていただけるとありがたいです。

• not so much ... as it is

The problem with our new project is not ( ) the cost as it is the time required. (1)so (2)only (3)because of (4)so much not so much A as Bの表現なので(4)を選びました。 『我々の新しいプロジェクトの問題は、コストというよりむしろ必要とされる時間だ。』 it is がどうしてあるのか、文法的にわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 文法的に分からない英文があります。

The American Language Program,an academic unit of Columbia University,dates back to 1911,making it one of the oldest English as a second language programs in the United States. 訳(アメリカン・ランゲージ・プログラムは、コロンビア大学の教育機関です。創立されたのは1911年、アメリカ合衆国にあるESLプログラムとしては、最も歴史あるものの1つと言えます。) 英文中の、 making it が文法的に理解できません。 makingは文法的にどういう役割をしているのでしょうか? また、itは何を指しているのでしょうか?

• 訳をお願いします!

以下の学術記事の訳をお願いします。。。 単語を追っていっても、文法が分からないので意味がつかめません。 どうかお願いします! The average global temperature has risen between 0.4 and 0.8℃ since the late 19th century; scientists expect that temperatures may increase from 1.4 to 5.8℃ between 1990 and 2100. This may not sound like much, but it could change the earth’s climate as never before. At the peak of the last ice age, 18,000 years ago, ice covered much of North America. But the temperature was only 3.9℃ colder than it is today! Past climate change must have occurred slowly. If so, this allowed plants and animals to adapt to their new conditions or move somewhere else. However, if future climate change occur as quickly as some scientists predict, plants and animals may not be able to react quickly enough to survive. In 2001, a report on various projections of the sea level change was made. It estimated that by the year 2100, the sea will rise at least 9cm and perhaps as much as 88cm. The main cause of global warming is an increase in carbon dioxide (CO2) in the air. This has an effect on the sea level, agriculture, the weather, and even the spread of disease. In trying to slow global warming, there are long-term measures that have already been taken. For example, 1n 1997, a conference was held in Kyoto and attended by many world leaders. The result was the Kyoto Protocol, an important emission-related document. In the Protocol, the leaders set clear goals for cutting emissions. Countries with heavy industry and high demand for energy production still have a long way to go, however. In 2003, America produced 23.9% of the world’s CO2; that’s 20 tons a year per American citizen. China produced 14.5% of all CO2, but at a rate of only 2.7 tons per capita. Japan produced 9.4 tons per citizen, but only 4.9% of the world’s CO2. India produced almost as much CO2-4.4%, but at just 1 ton per citizen.

• 英文を訳して欲しいです

英文を訳して欲しいです 先ほど自分のYouTubeチャンネルに次の様な英文が届きました 意味が理解できないのでどなたか訳していただけませんか? What's up, I just finished watch some of your videos on YouTube and have to say I was highly impressed. I just don't get why videos as good as yours aren't getting more views. I just don't understand it, I mean your videos are much better than most of the crap on there. They were completely enjoyable to watch (much more so than many videos on the site). Isn't it crazy that people would rather the same garbage over and over instead of new and fresh material? I used to have the same problem with low views until I found, tubetrafficmembership . com How it works is they send a bunch of viewers to you videos. The views help you climb the search engines and really improve your visibility in the YouTube community. They really helped me, maybe they can do the same for you. They even have a free trial going on right now! No matter what you decide I hope you keep sending your videos in, they make YouTube all the more enjoyable. Have a great day. -Amy です。宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の訳をお願いします。

英文の訳をお願いします。 Terni is a large modern city and Saint Valentine's church is on the edge of town. So it is not so easy to find the church. “If Saint Valentine had been born in a city in America, they would have built a theme park there. But as he was born in Italy, you could enter Terni without knowing it was Saint Valentine's hometown," an American friend said to me. In the square in front of the church, Saint Valentine's Festival is held on February 14. Many couples, young and old, attend the festival. Inside, the church looks like any other Italian church, but two baskets overflowing with letters would catch your eye. The priest has to deal with 50,000 a year. Of these, 10,000 come from Japan. Saint Valentine is well known in this country, too. In spite of its connection to Saint Valentine,Terni has few advantages. “We wish more tourists would visit Saint Valentine's hometown," a city official says. The local government hopes to make Terni into a modern city. They built a new footbridge to link the church with a parking lot for cars and buses. The Saint Valentine Foundation is working hard to make Terni into more than a city which comes to life only one day a year. For example, it has helped to organize a concert dinner with TV personalities. But one of its concerns is not to let the religious meaning of Saint Valentine be lost among the commercial activities. However, some local people argue that, since the chocolate, cards, and candlelight dinners of Saint Valentine's Day are a huge business the world over, they wourld over, they would be foolish if they did not take their share of it.