• ベストアンサー

second Endlish literature classのsecondの意味

After Mike leaves, Chales goes off to his second English literature class of the day. という文章があります。 Mikeが去った後、チャールズは今日2回目の英国文学クラスへ出かけたという意味なのでしょうか? どのように訳せばよいかわかるかた宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.3

>2時間目ということなのか2回目のということなのか #1へいただいた上記補足を拝見しました。私は、どちらともとれると思います。文脈次第ですね。 ただ、ニュアンス的にも日本語の「今日2つめの英文学の授業」ですから、『“2つめの授業がたまたま英文学”ともとれるし、“英文学の授業が2つあって、その2つ目”ともとれるけれども、どちらかというと後者と解釈するのが自然』というふうに私は感じます。あくまでも私個人の感覚です。それに明確に前者の意味を表したいなら「second class of the day which is English literature(今日2つ目の授業である英文学」と書くことだってできるはずです。 確かに、英文学の授業が日に2つもあるというのは不自然かもしれませんが、その不自然な状況を表すためのセンテンスなのかもしれませんし、大学などで文学を専攻していれば、古典、現代など、同じ「英文学」でもさまざまな角度に授業が分かれていたりします。 いずれにしても、「2時間目」という訳語は冒険だと思います。というのは、「English literature」を受けていて、しかも授業に「goes off」するということは、少し高度な勉強を移動教室でしているということになり、選択制の授業を単位制で取得しているという可能性が高く、よって、例えば2時限目は授業をとっていなかったり休講だったりして、「2つ目」の授業が午後に来たりすることだってあり得ます。それに、どうしても文脈で判断できない場合は、「今日2つめの英文学の授業」と訳しておけば、どちらともとれて無難ですよね。

pyon34
質問者

お礼

なるほどです。 よくわかりました。ご回答に感謝いたします。 どうもありがとうございました。 いつもご回答いただいて大変助かります。 また何かあったときにアドバイスいただければ幸いです。 宜しくお願いいたします。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

English literature class と名詞を羅列すると”English”も”literature”も形容詞的な意味合い(扱い)になります。形容詞は名詞の修飾語ですので削除しても問題はないはずです。すると、 second English literature class of the day ↓ second class of the day になります。 訳すと 今日の2番目になるクラス(一番目が算数で二番目が英文学)の理解での2回目のクラスであればよいと思います。

pyon34
質問者

お礼

どうもありがとうございます。 2時間目という意味なのですね。 なるほどです。

• ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.1

「た」を「る」に換えれば、意味はそのとおりです。その状況を頭に描いて、自分ならその状況を日本語でどう言うか、というふうに考えると、より自然な日本語訳を書けます。ただ、「Mikeが去った後、チャールズは今日2回目の英国文学クラスへ出かけた」みたいな訳文を書くプロも大勢いますけどね。ちなみに意味について、何かわかりにくいことがあるのでしょうか。

pyon34
質問者

補足

早速のご回答ありがとうございます。 説明が足りずにすみません。 second Endlish literature classのSecondは学校の授業の2時間目ということなのか2回目のということなのかどっちなのかわかりませんでした。

関連するQ&A

• 文法 There goes~ について

There goes Mike in his boat! マイクは自分のボートにのっていくよ。という意味ですが、 ここのThereはThere is のthere なのか、「ほら」という意味のthere なのか、「そこに」という意味のthere なのか教えてください。 これは Mike goes there in his boat.の倒置でしょうか? それともThere goes で意味があるのですか? ちなみにthere is~ 「あります」と訳しますが、ここのthere は、「そこに」という意味があるのでしょうか?

• chargeの意味

I just left my dermatologist's office after waiting an hour to see him, and I'm furious. Don't doctors realize that their patients' time is also valuable? Another doctor left me sitting in his office for two hours, and I was the second appointment of the day. When I asked the receptionist why the long wait, she told me the doctor likes to flirt with the nurses at the hospital. This same doctor charged me for a hospital visit after he popped his head into my room to say he was running late and didn't have time to see me. ここでのchargedはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳

Soseki received several replies to his ad. In July 1901,he moved into a boarding house run by two elderly women,Miss Leale and her sister. The sisters were sophisticated and the environment suited Soseki. He lived there about one and a half years until he left Britain. Soseki was fairly happy there,but his mind was troubled by many things. From the time Soseki first started studying English literature at university,he had been obsessed with one simple question: “What is literature?” He hadn’t yet found a clear answer―the purpose for his life. In Britain he hoped to find the answer. In reality,however,studying English literature as scholarship was a fairly new concept even in Britain. After six months of studying in Britain,he finally realized that he would have to create his own theories on literature. Ikeda kikunae’s logical way of thinking had inspired him. From then on,he avoided social life,spending most of his time alone reading books and thinking. Eventually,his closed lifestyle led to a mental breakdown. 以下の質問に英語で答えなさい。 1, What question was always on Soseki’s mind? 2, What inspired Soseki to create his own literary theories? 3, Why did Soseki suffer a mental breakdown? 和訳と問題よろしくお願いします。

• 英文を添削してください

英語の授業は2種類あります。 I have two English classes. ひとつの授業はネイティブのイギリス人が先生です。 One of the class is conducted by native Englishman. 先生の話を聞いて、映画を見れば授業は終わります。 The class finished after we listen to his talking and watch the movies. とても楽な授業なのですが、時間がとても長く感じます。 This class is very easy, but I feel the time is too long. もう一つの授業は英語の文章を日本人の先生が説明します。 The other class was conducted by Japanese, and he explains the English sentences. 先生の説明はとてもわかり易いです。 His explanation is very easy to understand.

• ノーベル賞文学にカズオイシグロが選ばれたが、

ノーベル賞文学にカズオイシグロが選ばれたが、 彼がカズオイシグロが選ばれた事の利点欠点限界盲点とは? 皆さんにとって、 カズオイシグロとは? 彼がノーベル賞に選ばれたのは 長崎出身、日系人、マイノリティー、 英吉利のブッカーを獲得したがらなのだろうか? ジョン オースティンとカフカ、 プルスートを足した存在なのだろうか? 文学カテゴリー皆さんの ご回答のほど、 お待ちしております。 http://www.asahi.com/sp/articles/ASKB56RPCKB5UCLV019.html ノーベル文学賞にカズオ・イシグロ氏 英国の小説家 下司佳代子=ストックホルム、編集委員・吉村千彰2017年10月5日20時29分 https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/カズオ・イシグロ カズオ・イシグロ(Kazuo Ishiguro OBE, 漢字表記:石黒 一雄、1954年11月8日 - )は、長崎県出身の日系イギリス人作家である。1989年に長編小説『日の名残り』でイギリス最高の文学賞ブッカー賞を受賞した。ロンドン在住。2017年、ノーベル文学賞受賞。 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuo_Ishiguro Kazuo Ishiguro OBE FRSA FRSL (Japanese: カズオ・イシグロ or 石黒 一雄; born 8 November 1954) is a Japanese-British novelist, screenwriter and short story writer. He was born in Nagasaki, Japan; his family moved to England in 1960 when he was five. Ishiguro graduated from the University of Kent with a bachelor's degree in 1978 and gained his Master's from the University of East Anglia's creative writing course in 1980. Ishiguro is one of the most celebrated contemporary fiction authors in the English-speaking world, having received four Man Booker Prize nominations, and winning the 1989 award for his novel The Remains of the Day. His 2005 novel, Never Let Me Go, was named by Time magazine as the best novel of 2005 and included the novel in its 100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005. His seventh novel, The Buried Giant, was published in 2015. In 2008, The Times ranked Ishiguro 32nd on their list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945".[1] In 2017, the Nobel Prize in Literature was awarded to Ishiguro "who, in novels of great emotional force, has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world".[2][3]

• 和訳 His work is……

和訳 His work is…… His work is an exploration of the strong tendency in English literature and histori- ography to posit a longing for a golden age in which the city (and the forms of complex social organization it both produces and comes to represent symbolically) was not the dominant venue of human life. 彼の作品は英国の文学や修史の中に、その中で都市(と都市が生み出し象徴的に表現するようになる複雑な社会組織の形式)は人の人生にとって最もふさわしい場所ではなかったという、ある黄金時代へのあこがれがあると想定する、ある強い傾向の探究書である?? 都会と田舎の比較から、都会には田舎の生活に対するあこがれがある云々といった内容ですが、In which以下の文章がよくわかりません。特にカッコ内のit bothのitは何を指すのでしょう?

• 日本語に見合う文章になっているでしょうか?

私は婚約者を心筋梗塞で亡くしてから心の病にかかり、隔週の木曜日に通院しています。 木曜・金曜以外の午前中に、英会話初級クラスはありますか? After I lose a fiance in myocardial infarction, I suffer from the illness of the heart and go to the hospital on Thursday biweekly. Is an English-conversation beginners' class class during the morning of other days of the week on Thursday except - Friday?

• 翻訳お願いしたいです。

Because of his age, the zoo dentists want to be sure that Artie does not have any problem with his teeth.Theydecide to take an X-ray, their animal patient comes agreebly out of his pool and goes to an examining table. When the zoo worker tells him to open his mouth, Artie does so with no problem.However, things after that do not go so simply. It is not easy to get an excited sea lion to stay still while an X-ray is taken of his teeth! Every time they take a shot, the sea lion moves to a different position. After a number of attempts, the dentists finally succeed in getting a clear picture. Sea lions eat their food whole, and can eat as much as 20 pounds of fish in one day.Even though they do not chew their food,their teeth and gums can still get diseased. For Artie, his checkup goes well and the dentists conclude that his teeth are just fine: not bad for a 30-year-old who has never brushed his teeth!

• 和訳をお願いします!

A Flying 'Chaucer' An English professor was reading 'The Canterbury Tales' to his class and noticed that a student had fallen asleep. Annoyed, he sent the book spinning through the air and bouncing off the boy's head. Startled awake, the student asked what had hit him. 'That,' said the professor, 'was a flying Chaucer.' ジョークの部分も教えて貰えると嬉しいです!

• 和訳

Soseki wrote about his English: “It’s a pity that my listening comprehension is not good enough,to say nothing of my speaking ability.” In Japan,he did not have much trouble talking with British people,but the people in London often spoke too fast for him to understand. In particular,he found the cockney dialect spoken by working class people in East London,very difficult to follow. But,in fact,Soseki’s English must have been quite good. He could understand plays. And he was taking private lessons in English literature. He probably was critical of his English because he wanted it to be perfect. He was a perfectionist by nature. Referring to the English ability of the Japanese at that time,he wrote: “The Japanese can read difficult books and know many difficult words,but the mouth and the ear are far behind. If many foreigners visit Japan in the future,our English will not be good enough to communicate with them.” Regrettably,even a hundred years later,the problem Soseki pointed out hasn’t been solved. 和訳していただけたら嬉しいです