• ベストアンサー

訳がわかりません

An elderly woman came out, with some paper parcels from town, and then a child, and then there she was, herself, unmistakable, a plain woman but a private passion, carrying her suitcase, handing over her ticket, not looking in his direction. この文の後半部分(特にbut以降)の訳がわかりません。 全訳には、「年輩の女性がいくつかの紙袋を持ってでてきた。子供がそのあとに続き、その次に彼女がでてきた。まぎれもなく彼女自身で、目立たぬ女性ながら、彼の情熱の対象である女性が、スーツケースを下げ、切手を渡しながら、彼の方を見た」 とあるのですが、どうしてlookingの前にnotがあるのに、訳では「見た」となっているのかわかりません。何かの構文なのでしょうか? すごく困惑してるので、ささいな点でも教えていただけると嬉しいです。 長々と失礼しました。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

下記の文を直訳すると then there she was, herself, unmistakable, then there she was, herself, unmistakable, a plain woman but a private passion, carrying her suitcase, handing over her ticket, not looking in his direction. (そして、ついに彼女、彼女自身が、紛れも無い彼女で、スーツケースを下げ、個人的な激情を除けば無表情で, チケットを(男に)手渡した、男の顔など見向きもせずに。) butはexeptと同意語で使われている。 の様な理解になります。 もしよろしければ教えてください。 上記文のsheはan elderly womanではないはずです、この文の直後に彼女の名前等が出てくるのでしたら。その文面を教えてはいただけませんか? 前の章で彼女のことがするでに紹介されているのか。これから徐々に彼女に付いての説明があるのかが知りたいのです。宜しくお願いします。

sai0828
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 私は入試問題でこの文に出くわしたのですが、この文は最終段落の最後の文でした。なので続きはわかりませんが、前半の文の内容は、主人公(男)がjaneという女の子と駆け落ちするということで、何日か後にある駅で待ち合わせします。ですが、その1日前に主人公が風邪を引いてしまいます。それでも頑張って約束の日に駅で待っているのですが、なかなかjaneがやってきません。 そしてこの文が続きます。なので、年輩の女性は主人公が気分を悪そうにしているから紙袋をもってきたということです。 fruchanさんのおっしゃる通り、sheはjaneという女の子ということになります。 私も訳はfruchanさんのようになると思うのですが、なぜ最後男の顔を見向きもしなかったのか疑問が残ります。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.3

彼の目を見るということは、これからの起こることに対して覚悟を決めた意思表示になると考えます。遅れて最後に現れ、例えば、伏し目であれば、ほんとに駆け落ちをしてよいのかと思案した様。と受け取ることもできますよね。 すると訳は、 彼の目には答えず、チケットを渡した。 文才があれば上手く表現できるのですが、これくらいで勘弁してください。

sai0828
質問者

お礼

ご丁寧にありがとうございます。 私の現在の周りの環境を考えるととてもじゃないですが,英語に詳しい方がいなかったので非常に助かりました。

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

その「全訳」が間違っていると思います。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

Maybe she panicked when she saw the barries were down on the other side. She dropped her bicycle and spilled all the groceries in her basket. People on both sides were calling to her, telling her to run because a train was coming, but she just stood there.Then suddenly a brave young man jumped over the barrier on the other side,ran to the woman, put her on his shoulder and carried her to safety.The train came in on the track closest to me, so she wouldn't have been injured, but still it was a scary moment.When the barriers came up again, some other people picked up the woman's bicycle and groceries for her.If the railway company doesn't make that crossing safer, it's only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured there.

• 英語

And they must have wondered how such a delicate-looking woman could work with naked, dead bodies. Her voice is beautiful. →beautiful her voice is. →How beautiful her voice is.(感嘆文) such a delicate-looking woman could work with naked, dead bodies →〃 →how such a delicate-looking woman could work with naked, dead bodies(感嘆文) こういう解釈ですか?

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

Millie has a daughter and a son, but they live on the opposite side of the country and aren’t able to visit now. Her daughter is 4, and when I saw her over the summer, she briefly referred to me as auntie. Millie pulled her daughter to the side and told her that I was not her auntie and that I was to be referred to by my first name. I was to be referred to by my first nameの訳をよろしくお願いします

• 英文翻訳をお願いします

英文翻訳をお願いします But always know there is more to a woman than her looks in my opinion. If a man gets too caught up on a woman's looks he gets blinded and can never truly see the real woman inside, which makes him and the woman live in a false reality. But once the man and woman truly see eachother for who they are and accept eachothers differences then that's where a true relationship begins, whether it's good or bad.

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

I once befriended a neighbor I had met on trips that were organized by my town's Parks and Recreation Department. She and her husband were both elderly, and they had no children. As she aged, our friendship grew, especially after her husband died, and we spent pleasant times together over tea. I'd take her on her errands. 最後の文の訳をよろしくお願いします

• 訳と、この場合の返し方

メールをしている相手からこのような文が入ってきました。彼はどんんあタイプがすきといっているのですか?すべてが訳せなかったので教えてください。自分なりに理解したのは素直な人が好きで、いいときも悪いときも一緒にいてくれる人というところです。それと、最後could you....の部分は特に意味はないとおもうのですが、このような文章にはどのような返事をすればいいのでしょうか?例えば英語で教えてください。I like a woman who is very honest and loyal to her man. I don't like head games, so I dont play them. Ilike a woman who can be there for me in good and bad times. Understand me and let me be me and except me in good and bad times a woman who is nit judgemental. I am a man who takes care of home. I believe in taking my lady out to a dinner a movie or just for a walk or something she likes to do. I cook for her. Rub her feet and wash her body and share my thoughts dreams. I want a woman i can call my own. Grow with her untilthe end of time. COuld you be this woman

• watchとlookの動作イメージの違いについて

下記にan eldery woman's shoplifting を目撃したことを話すmailの文章があります。動詞を適語にして文を完成させます。 I was buying a new alarm clock the other day in Taylor's the jewellers, whan I actually saw somebody shoplifting. I'd just finished paying for my clock and as I turned around, an elderly woman was slowly putting a silver plate into a bag that She was carrying. Then she walked( was walking) over the another part of the shop and picked (was picking ) up an expensive-looking watch a number of times. when she thought that nobody was looking (looked), she dropped it into the bag. before I had a chance to tell the staff in the shop, She noticed that I was watching (watched) her and hurried out. Unfortunately for her, two police officers was walking past just at that moment and she ran straight into them. 上記の文の中の was looking とwas watching のみが正解らしいのですが、looked とwatched も それを最初から最後まで目撃したよ という意味ではlooked とwatchedもありだと思っています。 臨場感を考えると過去進行形しかありえないのでしょうか?それともlookとwatchの根本的な意味を間違っているのでしょうか?教えてください。

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (27) Antony commanded his slaves to lift him up. Plutarch says that they carried Antony to the tomb, but even then, Cleopatra would not allow the doors to be opened, but she showed herself at a window and let down cords and ropes to the ground. The slaves fastened Antony to these and the queen pulled him up.... Cleopatra... laid him upon a bed... and smeared her face with his blood. She called him her lord and husband and commander. Antony died in the aims of the queen. (28) With Antony dead and Cleopatra defeated, Octavian was the undisputed ruler of the known world. Cleopatra tried to make him fall in love with her. He could have been her third great Roman─but he wasn't interested. Instead, Octavian planned to take Cleopatra, the last Ptolemaic ruler of Egypt, to Rome as his slave. (29) Rather than be humiliated, Cleopatra chose death. She tried to kill herself, but Octavian's guards caught and stopped her. However, in the end she succeeded with a trick. The queen humbly asked the conqueror to allow her to mourn Antony's death and to give his body a proper farewell. Octavian agreed. (30) Cleopatra ordered a bath to be made ready and when she had bathed, she put on her royal robes and ate a fancy meal. Soon an Egyptian peasant arrived with a basket of figs. The guard inspected it but didn't see the asp, a poisonous snake, hidden beneath the fruit. Cleopatra sent away all of her servants except two women whom she especially trusted and loved. These servants locked the doors of the tomb, obeying the queen's command. Cleopatra had planned to let the asp come upon her when she wasn't looking. But according to one story by Plutarch, as soon as she saw the snake, she grabbed it and pressed it onto her bare arm, inviting a fatal bite.

• 構造分析お願いします

The elderly lady who borrows two romantic novels a week from her library would not want to access those on a cumbersome screen which gives her eye-strain and is expensive and charmless これの構造分析お願いします

• 小説の一部なんですが、訳を教えてください

以下のパラグラフのbut以下の文章がわかりません。レイチェルは主人公の娘です。 (Rachel is not a stupid person. She has a doctorate in biochemistry from the University of Chicago and works as a researcher for a large drug company outside Princeton,)  but much like her mother before her, it's a rare day when she speaks in anything but platitudes-all those exhausted phrases and hand-me-down ideas that cram the dump sites of contemporary wisdom. much like her mother before herは、「レイチェルを前にしたとき(レイチェルに向かって言うとき)の母親とそっくりで」、という意味ですか? 「レイチェルは頭のいい娘だが、彼女に向かって話すときの母親と同じように、使い古された決まり文句しか普段は言わない」ということでしょうか? hand-me-down ideas というのもよくわかりません。 よろしくお願いいたします!