疑問点を解決!ニューヨークの魅力と建物について

このQ&Aのポイント
  • ニューヨークはその摩天楼で有名です。様々なスタイルの建物があるが、それぞれ美しいものもあればそうでないものもあります。しかし、それらが一緒になると世界で最も素晴らしい光景の一つとなります。
  • ニューヨークは摩天楼に最適な場所でした。小さな混雑した島で、上へ行く場所はたったひとつしかありませんでした。
  • 1783年、ジョージ・ワシントンは新しい国の大統領に就任しました。彼の事務所はマンハッタンにありました。しかし、ニューヨークは新しい国の首都としてはわずか1年間だけでした。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の疑問点

New Yorkについての英文を読んでて疑問点が出てきたので教えてください。 New York is famous for its skyscrapers. There are many different styles of building. Some are beautiful,some are not. Together they are one of the most wonderful sights in the world. この文のTogetherはどういう意味でしょうか。 New York was the perfect place for skyscrapers. On a small, crowded island, there was only one place to go―up. この文のthere was only one place to go―upはどういう意味でしょうか。 In 1783, George Washington became president of the new country. His office was in Manhattan. But New York was only the capital of the new country for a year. この文ではButというよりAnd soとかのほうがいい気がするのですが どうでしょうか。 以上、よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.3

>New York was the perfect place for skyscrapers. >On a small, crowded island, there was only one place to go―up. >この文のthere was only one place to go―upはどういう意味でしょうか。 「New York は高層ビルを建てるのには最適な場所だった。 小さくて、窮屈な島の上では行ける場所はひとつしかなかった---上である。」 つまり、土地が狭かったので、建物を建てるときに横に広く場所を取ることができず、結果として上に向かって伸びるしかなかったということです。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.2

こんにちは。最後の段落のButですが、どうなんでしょうね。ButかAnd と続くかは少し置いておいて、New York was only the capital of the new country for a year.の部分を見ると、他にも首都となった都市があったという解釈ができます。 もちろん現在のワシントンDCもそうですが、ウィキぺディアでみると、ジョージ・ワシントンが大統領になった年(1789年のようです)以降、首都と考えられている都市は、1789-1790がニューヨーク、1790-1800がフィラデルフィア、1800-現在が今のワシントンDC、となっているようです。 なので、3ヶ所しかありませんが、首都の期間が1年だったというのがニューヨークが唯一だった、ということだと思います。 前の文章からこの文章につなぐとして、ButかAnd soか答えは出ませんが・・・。

noname#181603
noname#181603
回答No.1

Together は 高層ビル全体で、という感じ。 If they(=skyscrapers) are together, they are one of.... (Being) together, they are one of .... とおなじことだとおもいます。 go up は 「建物が建つ」でしょうか。 順接のAnd so ではなく、意味的に逆接です。 大統領がオフィスを構えたが、首都であったのは1年だった、みたいなかんじです。only は 後ろの for a year にかかっているように感じますが。

関連するQ&A

• There is/are S 分詞の意味

高校文法ですが、   There are a lot of people waiting for their turn. There was some tea left in the pot. それぞれ、A lot of people are waiting for their turn.      Some tea was left in the pot. とほぼ同じ意味とされていますが、その使い分けがよくわかりません。 何冊かの参考書を読み比べましたが、   Thereで始まる文は、唐突な感じを避ける事ができる。   Thereで始まる文は、主語を強調している。 という解説のみで、日本語を訳し分ける必要はないらしいのですが、 あえてその違いがわかるように訳すとしたら、どんな訳が考えられるでしょう。また、使われる文脈、状況の違いなどを教えていただけないでしょうか。 

• 英文の疑問点

英文の疑問点があるので教えてください。 By 1898, there were more than 3 million people living in New York City. これは文法的にはどうなっているのでしょうか。 livingは分詞ですか? 訳し方も教えてください。 Why did so many people come to New York? A lot of them were running away from problems in their own countries. They could start a new life in the United States. They came to live the "American dream." 最後の文、They came to live the "American dream."の意味を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします。

• ぎこちない英文ですみませんが・・。疑問点があります。

My hobbies are diverse. In one of them,I am often hanging out a mall with friends just for fun,but there I am ashamed of not buying an item but thinking it's so great and precious a goods that I should only stare at these goods. In another of them,I like to watch cross-border's dramas,called "24" and "Prison Break",and so on. In a third of them,I like to take a trip frequently. Unfortunately,I don't have much money now,in another words,I can't afford to pay for various tour's plans in spite of I want to do. Instead,I think I'll go abroad to study English and culture,saving a lot of money. Finally,I like playing a lot of sports better than any other thing. という趣味に関する英作を提出しました。 すると、In one of them,In another of them,In a third of them,but there I am ashamed of not buying an item but thinking it's so great and precious a goods that I should only stare at these goods. を削除されてしまいました。やっぱり変なんですよね??;; 初学者なんで、これくらいの文しか書けません。。 それに、なんでIn (one,another a third of)は削除されてしまったのですか??topicの書き方が変ですか?? 全然分かりません。教えてください><

• 英文解釈お願いします

There was a time when it was believed that because children were young and knew less,they were less intelligent,and therefore that the person responsible for raising them needs little intellect. There are ,indeed,still many people -even some who are responsible for education in this country-who hold the opinion that the more intelligent teachers should be reserved for older children,while those who are less intelligent would do quite well with young children. これの構造分析と訳お願いします

• 英語ができる人、この英文をやくしていただけませんか

In 1995, 94.5% of the wood material used was produced in the country. However, with the nation’s rapid economic expansion there was a surge in demand for more wood material. With the rise of the strong yen, Japan bought more things from abroad, and material produced in Japan fell to 45.0% by 1970. Afterwards, this figure fell even further, and by 2000 the percentage of wood material produced in the country was only 18.2%. A large percentage of imported wood is wood pulp, the basic material for paper products.

• 英文解釈について質問があります。

英文解釈について質問があります。 There really isn't much happening in Sydney, so we find ourselves recording all the time. Also, I have two jobs, so when I have free time I want to make the most of it. Q1これですが、 「シドニーでは何かが起きるという事がなかなか無くてね、だからいつもレコーディングするという事に活路を見出した。それと、俺は仕事を2つ抱えているんでね、だから空いた時間にはレコーディングに当てたいんだよ」。 これは最後のI want to make the most of itのitはレコーディングですよね。で、ようは、仕事を2つも抱えていて、自由な時間がなかなかとれない。だからこそ、空いた時間を(活路を見出した)レコーディングに費やしたい。 ということをいいたいんですよね。 ――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――― Recently I have been doing some duo recordings with Martin Ng (a Sydney cardiologist/turntable player). We have already recorded loads of material & some of the early recordings are being released on German label Staubgold. It kinda reminds me a little of Lucier's recordings (whom I love). Q2意味自体はほぼとれているのですが、ラストセンテンスのit kinda remainds meのitは何を指すのでしょうか? &で並んだ二つの文章をまとめるとtheyになりますが・・・。 ――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――― It goes through waves; 5 years ago there was plenty of live activity, & at the moment it's the opposite. The only thing that can be done is artists organizing their own shows, but there aren't many spaces or interest for this either. Sydney has really gone to the dogs..... Q3これも大部分は意味がとれているのですが、but there aren't many spaces or interest for this either ここだけわかりません。というかeitherがわかりません。ミュージシャンにとっても、シドニーにいる一般人にとってもということですか? ――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――― The lack of live events is made up for in other ways however...eg radio, there are loads of experimental radio shows both in terms of live and DJed stuff. Also Sydney's does have a really interesting studio output thing happening. There are many talented, innovative artists here. A lot of people are recording, slowly getting recognition & releases overseas + touring overseas; right now this seems to be the only way to operate. How much can one actually do here? Melbourne, on the other hand has a lot more happening; people actually go out to hear music there! But sometimes being in a place far away, with little activity brings out things that are real different. For example, John Zorn suggested Robbie & I record our Tzadik CD in New York, with New York musicians & we chose to do it in Sydney, on our own - it wouldn't sound the way it sounds if we did it in New York. Sometimes there's something interesting when people create in their own isolated environment. Q4これも大部分は意味がとれているのですが、ところどころあやふやです。 How much can one actually do here? Melbourne, on the other hand has a lot more happening; people actually go out to hear music there! But sometimes being in a place far away, with little activity brings out things that are real different. この文章の意図することがわかりません。oneとは何を指すのですか? but以降って、場所によってでてくるものが本当に違ってくる。ということをいいたいのですか? それゆえに、次からfor exampleでつないでいる。 以上です。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の訳について

(前略) Soon he is dancing around together with his goats. A monk who is walking by notices this strange sight. He too tries some of the berries and finds that they lift his spirits. He takes some of the berries with him back to the other monks. They are pleased because the berries help them stay awake during the evening prayers. This is only one legend of the discovery of coffee - and there are many.However, most researchers believe that the field where Kaldi, or someone else, first discovered coffee was in Ethiopia, a country in northeast Africa. ・・・・・・という英文を自分で訳してみると、(翻訳サイトでは訳していません!!) すぐに彼は自分のヤギと一緒に踊りまわっています。 働いている僧はこの奇妙な光景に気づきます。彼は、とても実のいくつかを挑戦して、彼らは自分の精神を上げることが分かります。彼は、他の僧と実のいくつかを取ってもって帰ります。その実は午後の祈るの間、彼らを目覚めておくことを助けるので彼らは喜びました。これはコーヒーの発見の伝説の一つだけです。そしてそれらは多い。しかしながら、多くの研究者はカルディや他の誰か、最初にコーヒーが発見されたのはアフリカの北部にある国であるエチオピアの野原ということを信じています。 ・・・・・・となったのですが、 訳がもし間違っているのなら、間違っている箇所を指摘して正解を教えてもらえないでしょうか。また、復習をしたいのでこの英文の全訳も記載していただくとありがたいです。(いろいろとお願いしてスミマセン・・・。)

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

From a simple time-saving system designed while most of New York was still in bed, BlackRock's computer system has grown into the “operating system” for a company that has itself grown into the world's largest manager of financial assets. 上記英文中,最初の方の,From a simple time-saving system designed while most of New York was still in bedのwhile most of New York was still in bedを除いた部分の邦訳をお願いします。

• 英文の違いについて

英文の違いについて Let's go to some place quiet. Let's go to some quiet place. 上記二文はどちらも正しいのでしょうか。 意味が少し異なるのでしょうか。 わかる方、回答よろしくお願いいたします。

• 大学受験 英作文の問題

次の英文の書き出しで始まる文で、「現在、全世界で約3000から8000の言語が話されていると言われている。もしそうではなく、全世界の人々がみな同じ一つの言語を使用しているとしたら、我々の社会や生活はどのようになっていたと思うか。50から60語の英語で続けて書きなさい。複数の文になってもかまいません。」という問題で、英文を考えました。文法などの間違いがありましたら、ご指摘ください。 書き出し文If there were only one language in the world, 以下、続けて、 there would be no war. Today there are some conflicts in the world because there are many languages. Misunderstanding because of them leads to some conflicts. Moreover,each person has pride of his or her language. If someone looks down on your language,you will be angry. That is why there are some conflicts. よろしくお願いいたします。