• ベストアンサー

英文解釈に関しての質問です。

When she had time to spare,she attended to her garden, out of which she often gathered a few herbs to present to her father for his supper. という文で 2行目の「out of which」の役割が良く分かりません。 which が her garden を指すのであれば、 out ofはいらなくても良いのでは?と思ってしまいます。 out of whichでなくてはならない理由を教えてください。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

out of which よりも,from which とか,in which の方がわかりやすいですし,普通かな,と思いますが, which だけでは正しくありません。 which ということは,先行詞 her garden を it で受けているのと同じです。 すると,which → it を関係詞節内に戻して,英文ができないとだめです。 she often gathered a few herbs it では通じません。 she often gathered a few herbs out of it とか from it なら, 「それ(彼女の庭)から,いくつかハーブを集めた」 と正しい英文ができます。 この out of it が out of which になっています。

h08271012n
質問者

お礼

なるほど! 分かりやすい解説ありがとうございます!

その他の回答 (1)

noname#91223
noname#91223
回答No.1

仰る通り、which は her garden を指すと考えられます。 ハーブを集めた場所が庭の中ではなく、out of her garden だったと考えれば矛盾が無いように思われます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の書き換え教えてください

次の文矢印から始まる文に書き換えたいのですがよろしくお願いします。 Her father dided suddenly , and she had to give up school. →Her father's sudden death _______________.

• この解釈で合っていますか?

During the war, Stephen’s grandmother was evacuated to an hotel near Oxford, where she lived much the same life as in London, often cleaning out her own room, and in winter distressing everyone by her unwillingness to have a fire. Once, on a bitterly cold winter’s day Stephen went to visit her. She was at the bus stop waiting for him in the snow, when he arrived. They walked to the hotel, but turned back when they had got there, to spend half an hour fruitlessly searching in the snow by the path on which they had come, for one of her mittens, which she had let fall. 戦争中スティーブンの祖母はオックスフォードの近くのホテルに疎開して、そこでロンドンにいた時とほとんど同じ生活を送り、たびたび自分で部屋をきれいに掃除し、冬には暖炉に火を入れることをいやがってみんなを悩ました。ある時、ひどく寒い冬の日に、スティーブンは祖母を訪ねていった。彼が着いた時、祖母は雪の中をバスの停留所で彼を待っていた。彼らはホテルまで歩いたが、ホテルに着くと引き返して、祖母が落とした片方の手袋を見つけるために、2人が通ってきた道のそばの雪の中を半時間もむなしく捜しまわった。 文最後の「which she had let fall.」の文構造が理解できません。whichの先行詞は「 for one of her mittens,」で、これがlet+o+do(~をうっかりさせる)の目的語になり 、訳は「彼女がうっかり手袋の一つを落とした」と解釈しています。合っていますか?よろしくおねがいします・

• 英文を日本語に訳してください。よろしくお願いします

・As a child, the writer wanted her mother to be at home rather than her father. ・When the writer entered high school, she started to prepare her own lunch and her father made the lunch bag. ・At high school, the writer did not want her friends to see the napkin because it was too precious to her. ・The writer`s father kept on putting a napkin inside the lunch bag to show his love. ・Because of cancer, the writer`s father wasn`t able to write to her every week.

• この英文添削をお願いします。

以下の私の英文チェックをお願いできますか? (1)だからこそ父の言葉は彼女の胸に響いた。 That's why her father's words have touched her heart. (2)父は自らそれを止めたと思っているだろうが、もともと彼女にはそれをしようという気持ちはなかった。彼は彼女の気持ちがわからなかったのだろうか?父は娘のことをわかっているようで、でもまだ彼女がどういう人物なのかわかっていなかったのかもしれない。 Her father thought he stopped it but that not true. She was not going to do it. Didn't he know how she felt? He believed that he knew his daughter very well and he thought he knew what kind of person she is, but actually not. (3)それでも彼女の父に対する感謝の気持ちは残っている。 Even if, her feeling of gratitude to her father is still remaining. (4)しかし彼女の混乱した気持ちを整理するには時間が必要だった。 However, she did have to take a time to comoise (?) her thoughts. すみませんがよろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文について質問があります。

英文について質問があります。 下記の英文の、「which」がわかりません。 ナゼwhichがつくのでしょうか? whichの役目を教えてください。。。お願いします。 彼らは、その子に桃太郎と名前をつけました。 ・They named the boy momotaro, 「which」 means "peach boy" 彼はみた、鶴が自分の羽をくちばしでむしりとっては、布を織っているのを。 ・he saw a crane weaving cloth with her own feathers 「which」 she plucked out with her bill

• 英文解釈について

He was a man ,curious to look at, and every day when I came out and passed his garden he was there , his crutches under his arms ,leaning on the gate ,silently regarding me as I went by. という文章なのですが挿入を元に戻してHe was a man and every day when I came out and passed his garden he was there  で彼は男で私が外出し、彼の庭を通るときは毎日、彼はそこにいた。 curious to look at his crutches under his arms で腕の下の松葉づえを注意深く見ながら??ここらへんからおかしくなります。 解釈のほどお願いいたします。 Three of the Pylamids are very large ,the great being that of Gizah ,but there are many smaller ones. という文ではThree of the Pylamids are very large but there are many smaller ones. でピラミッドのうち三つはとても大きいが、とても小さいのもある。 ここに分詞構文the great being that of Gizah をつけようと思ってもなかなか意味がわかりません。 解釈のほどよろしくお願いします。 My eyes ,not being so much under control as my toungue ,were attracted towards my aunt very often during breakfast. では、舌ほどうまく眼は動かせないので朝食の間何回もおばを見てしまった。程度の訳でよいのでしょうか? 日本語訳でも意味がわかりません。 the earlier a thing is learned ,the longer ,and so the greater , the use of which can be made of it. では「すればするほど」の構文だとは思うのですが、the longer や 関係代名詞of whichの先行詞であろう主語に対応する動詞がないように思えます。これも解釈のほどお願いいたします。 以上の4つの英文についてお尋ねします。一つでもいいのでご指南願います。

• 英文和訳をお願いします。

以下はある映画の結末についてのネイティヴ?のコメントですが、私の英語力では把握しきれません。分かりやすく訳していただけませんでしょうか。 When Amy dives in to rescue Dan, her real world experience gets mixed up with her memories and phobias about the past, where her Dad drowned and she was unable to pull him out of the water. We see her struggle with Dan, but they are appearing to sink lower and lower into the sea. Amy refuses to let Dan go as she let her father go, so she simply doesn't give up. It's all tied into her deep trauma. She drowns with Dan. Then we see the sailor circling the boat, the baby crying, and no one else in sight. All the adults have died. Then finally, the movie cuts to Amy, who can hear her baby off in the distance. She looks down to the deck, and it is her father that is laying in his front, "rescued" finally once and for all by his daughter. "Rescued" in heaven, that is. Amy has died and wherever or whatever she now is, she's finally reunited with her father and has managed to do what she has spent her entire life wishing she could have done - she has pulled him from the sea. But sadly yes, she's dead. She didn't pull Dan out of the sea, he and she both drowned in the real world. It's supposed to be a sort of spiritual, transcendent ending like Silent Hill or Solaris. I don't know why people don't get this ending. The body is too old to be Dan, with greyish hair and the same marks on his back as Amy's father in the earlier scene where we see him drown.

• 英文の解釈の質問です

【問題文】 My father, from a view of the expense of a college education, which having so large a family he could not well afford, and mean living which many so educated were afterwards able to obtain, altered his first intention about my education. この英文の考え方について質問です。 自分で考えると二通りの解釈の仕方ができてしまうのです。 以下に自分なりの考えを示します。 (その一) 途中の接続詞”and” は”from a view of the expense~”と”from a view of the mean living~”を結んでいる。whichは制限用法で、先行詞はthe expense。直前のコンマは先行詞が直前の語ではないため。”having so large a family” は分詞構文(理由)の挿入。 (訳) 家族がとても多かったため大学の学費を出す余裕があまりなかったことや 大学教育を受けても多くの者は卒業後に並の収入しか得られないことを考え、 私の父は、私の教育に関する最初の考えを改めた。 (その二) “and” は単純に”My father~” と”the mean living~”を結んでいる。 “from a view of the expense of a college education,” が挿入。 “which”の先行詞は”My father” (訳) 私の父には大学教育の出費という観点から十分養えないほど多くの 家族がいたことと、大学教育を受けても多くの者は平凡な収入しか 得られないことが、私の教育に関する父の最初の考えを改めさせた。 どちらでしょうか。あるいは両方とも誤りでしょうか。 その場合、お手数ですが訳と解説を願いします。

• この英文にわからないところがあります

下の文を読んでいて、下から2行目のthat doesn't mean の意味がわかりません。会話文の前半は「ただあなたの話がおもしろいと思わないだけよ。」と言っていると思うのですが。よろしくお願いいたします。 Anything she told you immediately became exciting. Sameness bored her and she would jump from on subject to another in a way that sometimes made her conversation bewildering. As my father used to tell her, she had absolutely no sense of humour. To that accusation she would protest in an injured voice: "Just because I don't think certain stories of yours are funny, Fred, that doesn't mean...," and my father would roar with laughter. 訳だけではなく(全訳はいりません。that doesn't mean のところだけでいいです。)、考え方も教えていただけると嬉しいです。よろしくお願いいたします!

• 英文で訳し方がわからないところがあります。

英文で訳し方がわからないところがあります。 She crouches on the ground clutching a handful of earth to fling over her father`s coffin. ここでのearthの訳し方が特にわかりません。 fling over というのも『投げつける?』と訳していいのでしょうか? どうかみなさんの手を貸してください。 お願いします。 ※crouch しゃがむ clutch 握る coffin 棺