• ベストアンサー

thoseの用法

When the machine scanned the blank paper, it found that it had a pattern that was just as clear as those found on the microchips. のthoseはa patternですか?でも、thoseはthe+複数形じゃないと指せないんじゃないですか?

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.4

はじめまして。 ご質問1: <thoseはa patternですか?> 正確にはa patternの複数形patternsを指しています。 1.ご質問文で使われているthoseはpatternという普通名詞の複数形を指しています。 2.前出のa patternを特定して指しているのではないのでご注意下さい。 3.つまり、 a pattern=those ではないということです。 4.ここでのa patternはblank paperのパターンのことを指しています。一方、those=patternsの方はmicrochipsのパターンのことを指しています。 5.つまり、このthoseで使われているpatternsとは、「パターンという概念」を持つ普通名詞として使われています。Thoseはその代わりに使われている代名詞なのです。 ご質問2: <thoseはthe+複数形じゃないと指せないんじゃないですか> いいえ、かならずしもtheは必要ありません。 1.thoseは不定冠詞のつく名詞やその複数形も、指すことのできる指示代名詞・形容詞です。 例: There are apples on the table and under the table. I eat those on the table. 「テーブルの上と下にりんごがある。私テーブルの上のそれらを食べる」 2.ご質問文の場合は、thoseはfoundという過去分詞で後置修飾されていますから、特定の名詞になります。従って、thoseを名詞に置き換えると the patterns found on the microchips とtheがつきます。 3.ご質問文のthoseはthe+patternsを置き換えた代名詞ということになります。 以上ご参考までに。

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.3

a book → they の件ですが, もちろん,I bought a book. の後のように,特定の一冊の本なら, it で受けます。 a book に対して,特に特定した1冊の本でなく, 「本というもの」の場合,通常 one になりますが, 実は主語に one は使えないため, 「本というものは」と主語にしたい場合は it にせざるを得ません。 このような総称的な主語 it を they にすることがあるということです。

回答No.2

a pattern という単数形が前にあって, 後で the patters found on the microchips と繰り返したいとき, those となります。 a pattern 自体は,「一つのパターン」ですが, 後は on the microchips のためか,複数の patterns です。 those = the ones であり,pattern → one で,the patterns → the ones = those と考えればいいです。 同様に,they は複数を受けると考えるのが通常で,前に複数名詞を探せ,とよく言われます。 私もそう教わってきましたし,今は生徒にもそう言っています。 しかし,現実の英語では,a student のような単数形を,he で受けると男性優位だし,he or she も面倒なので,they という男女の違いのない複数で受けることがよくあります。 ものである a book なども,主語は総称複数が自然であるため,they で受けることがあります。 結局,前に単数として出てきても, 後で複数として用いるのであれば, those や they という複数を表す代名詞を用いることができます。 ここでは pattern という名詞として共有してあれば, 前は単数,後は複数 と別でもかまわないわけです。

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

the patterns だと思います。

関連するQ&A

• ここでの"as"の用法について

こんにちは、 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [UK,adult版]p.193の真ん中あたりの文に関してです。 ハリーはトリウィザードトーナメントの賞金をフレッドとジョージに、Joke shop開店のための資金としてあげたのですが、そのことをウィーズリーおじさんとおばさんが知ったときの心配をしている場面です。 It had just occurred to him that Mr and Mrs Weasley would want to know how Fred and George were financing their joke shop business when, as was inevitable, they finally found out about it. 「as was inevitable」はどのように文法解釈すればよいのでしょうか? 日本語訳としては「どうしたって、最終的には」となっていたのですが、「as was inevitable」でなぜこのような日本語になるのかがわかりません。 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします。

Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17, 2155, she wrote, 'Today Tommy found a real book." It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather had heard about books like it when he was a little boy. He once said his grandfather had told them that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper. They turned the pages, which were yellow. It was very funny to read the words. They stood still, instead of moving the way they were supposed to - on a screen, you know. And then, when they turned back to the page before, it had the same words on it. It was just the same as it had been when they read it the first time.

• 翻訳お願いします

Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17 , 2155 , she wrote , “Today tommy found a real book..” It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather had heard about books like it When he was a little boy. He once said his grandfather had told them that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper. They turned the pages , which were yellow. It was very funny to read the word. They stood still, instead of moving the way they were supposed to - on a screen , you know. And then , when they turned back to the page before , it had the same words on it. It was just the same as it had been when they read it the first time. “Oh,” said Tommy. “What a waste!” When you're through with the book , you just throw it away , I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it , and it's good for many more. “Same with mine ,” said Margie. She was 11 and hadn't seen as many telebooks as Tommy had. He was 13. She said , “Where did you find it?” “In my house.” He pointed without looking , because he was busy reading. “In the attic.” “What's it about?” “School.”

• 代名詞thoseが何を指すか、判断基準はありますか

(以下前文)antisocial behaviors may be combined with a style of parenting that contributes to these behaviors. in a study 536 boys, (以下質問部) Moffitt found that 【those】 who had both neuropsychological dificits and adverse home enviroments scored four times higher on an aggression scale than those with neither neuropsychological deficits nor adverse home environments. 代名詞thoseが何を指しているのかわかりません。 うまく訳す事が出来なくて、いつも苦労しています。 他の代名詞の場合は、例えば 代名詞they・them・theirは、 その直前の複数名詞の代名詞(状況に応じて更にさかのぼる)が該当する。 代名詞itは、その直前の単数形の名詞(状況に応じてさかのぼる)が該当する。 但し、 1、強調構文 2、It is 形容詞/副詞 that/to →仮主語のit 3、状況のit (時間や天気など) は例外。 と覚えています。 thoseの場合は、このような一定の判断基準はありますか?教えて下さい。

• 和訳をお願いします。

翻訳機はなしで^^; Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17, 2155, she wrote, 'Today Tommy found a real book." It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather had heard about books like it when he was a little boy. He once said his grandfather had told them that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper. They turned the pages, which were yellow. It was very funny to read the words. They stood still, instead of moving the way they were supposed to - on a screen, you know. And then, when they turned back to the page before, it had the same words on it. It was just the same as it had been when they read it the first time. "Oh," said Tommy. "What a waste! When you're through with the book, you just throw it away, I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it, and it's good for many more. I wouldn't throw it away." "Same with mine," said Margie. She was 11 and hadn't seen as many telebooks as Tommy had. He was 13. She said, 'Where did you find it?' "In my house." He pointed without looking, because he was busy reading. "In the attic." "What's it about?" "School."

• よくわからない文法があります!

"But it was when she said what she did that it occurred to me, as I lay there, that this whole notion of his deliberately not trying was one that had been doing the rounds from as far back as the Juniors." ...was one that had been doing the rounds from as far back as the Juniors. の意味がよくわかりませんm(_ _)m

• Until that moment all...

Until that moment all the maps he had known had located Japan in the middle of the picture and had colored it red ; yet when he got to Britain he found that the country in the middle of the map was Britain and that it, too, was painted red. the country in the middle of the map was Britain and that it, too, was painted redの部分は過去完了形になふのではないですか。

• would の用法?

Researchers from Yale University have found that infants as young as six months old are able to tell the difference between nice and naughty playmates. In an experiment, researchers showed infants a wooden doll that was walking up and down small hills. Another doll WOULD come up to the first doll and either help it climb up the hill or push it backward. ・・・・・・・ と、いう英文があります。 上から3行目の大文字表示させたwouldの意味の取り方がわかりません。 過去にしたことを(実験として 繰り返しやった。)表現するために 用いられたものでしょうか? whenなど 過去の起点を表示されていれば 意味がとりやすいのですが、それも無い文なので、わかりません。 行われた実験の手法の説明文する文でした。 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 問 In those days people ( ) that the earth was flat.の理由を教えてください。

問 In those days people ( ) that the earth was flat. 解 In those days people (believed) that the earth was flat. (have believed)(had believed)がだめな理由と なぜ (believed)になるかを恐れ入りますが、お願いいたします。

• as の用法

Price is the money value of a product or service AS agreed upon in a market transaction. この as の用法がわかりません!which is では置き換えできないですよね?just the way that it was では置き換え可能ですか?