What is the meaning of 'make fun of himself'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The phrase 'make fun of himself' is used in an interview with George Clooney in TIME magazine. It refers to his strategy for being a movie star, which involves making jokes about himself. This approach may seem counterintuitive, but it is not self-serving. Instead, it allows him to entertain himself and others.
  • In an interview with George Clooney in TIME magazine, he discusses his strategy for being a movie star. He explains that he makes fun of himself, which means he jokes about himself in a non-self-serving way. This approach allows him to entertain himself and connect with others.
  • The phrase 'make fun of himself' is used in an interview with George Clooney in TIME magazine. It refers to how he approaches being a movie star. Rather than taking himself too seriously, he uses self-deprecating humor to entertain himself and others.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

make fun of himself の意味を教えてください

雑誌TIMEで次の表現がありました。 ジョージクルーニーのインタビュー記事です。 His strategy for being a movie star is pretty simple, if counterintuitive: he makes fun of himself. "There's nothing self-serving about what he's saying. He has to turn it into a way to make fun of himself." (こちらは、クルーニーがトムクルーズへのコメントとして。 2度 make fun of himself とでてくるのですが、「自分をからかう」では、少し意味が違う気がします。 自分自身を楽しませる というような意味合いでしょうか? 翻訳など仕事されている方など専門家のご意見をいただければうれしいです。

• boooks
  • お礼率55% (187/336)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

専門家ではないので回答の資格がありませんが、少しだけ書かせていただいてもいいでしょうか。 検索して原文を読みましたが、最初の文は後にこう続いてますね。 >His strategy for being a movie star is pretty simple, if counterintuitive: he makes fun of himself. It's the by-product of every successful person's strategy, which is to figure out what the other person is thinking. "Before they could kill me on Batman & Robin, I said, 'It's a bad film, and I'm the worst thing in it.' You try to defend an indefensible position, you'll look like a schmuck. 「バットマンとロビン」という駄作で主演したとき、みんなからたたかれる前に自分の方から「いやあ、ひどい映画で自分も最低だよ」と言ったということがその"he makes fun of himself."の例として挙げられていますね。 これからしても、自分をネタにして笑いをとる、くらいの意味ではないでしょうか。 トム・クルーズへのコメントですが、これも別の記事では http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/clooney%20tells%20cruise%20make%20fun%20of%20yourself_1060630 このように言い換えてる部分もあります。 >But film fans' favourite Clooney insists the Top Gun star isn't arrogant or "self-serving" - he just needs to mock himself more. 自分がへまをしたら保身に走るのはバカで、それを自分のほうからネタにして笑ってしまうというのが賢い人のやることだ、という内容のようですね。 日本で言えばたけしが最高の例かもしれません。 なお、こういうときは検索して使用例を見ると、想像が付くことが多いかと思います。 http://www.google.co.jp/search?num=50&hl=ja&q=%22make+fun+of+oneself%22&lr=

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.4

make fun of himself は、「自分自身を楽しませる」というニュアンスはないはずです(make fun of 自体に)。まさに、辞書にでている通りです。 内容的な意味合いはNO.1の方の回答の通りでしょう。 Tomが主演した最近の映画(ないしその中でのTom)の評判がよくなかったかなんかあったのでしょう。そのことに対してGeorgeはTomに対して「そんなにマジに考えず、自分を笑いものか何かにして適当にやってけばいいんだよ」というようなことをいっているのでしょう。 例えば、さんまが最近主演した映画がまじめな恋愛ものとします。その映画の評判が芳しくなかったときなどに、さんまが「いや・・、美女との肝心のキスシーンの時に「歯」がえらく目立ってしまって、映画のイメージが・・・」といったような感じ。

• litsa1234
  • ベストアンサー率28% (230/795)
回答No.3

>His strategy for being a movie star is pretty simple, if counterintuitive: he makes fun of himself. 「スターでいるために彼の取る戦略は単純である。まさかと思うが、彼は自虐的な振る舞いをしてみせる。」 >"There's nothing self-serving about what he's saying. He has to turn it into a way to make fun of himself." 「彼は我田引水的なことは言わない。逆に露悪家的な言い方に変えてしまわないではいられない。」

回答No.2

専門家のご意見を待ちたいですが#1サンの所にもあるように makes fun of himselfはhe just needs to mock himself more.のmocks himselfと同じでmock=laugh atですからlaugh at himself(自嘲する)という意味かと思います。he just needs to mock himself moreはAll he has to do is to mock himself more.ぐらいの意味で 「彼は(困った境遇になったときは)ただ自嘲するだけでいいんだ」ということかと思います。 興味があったため参加させていただきました。すみません。

関連するQ&A

• psych himself out of

I know he feels like shit for letting this happen, and when he’s depressed he loses his sense of ambition/faith in himself and psychs himself out of even applying for jobs, but he won’t even take half an hour to write down a few things he would just like to have in a new or additional job. psychs himself out of とはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 「make fun of ~」は悪意で使いますか?

英辞郎で「make fun of 」を引くと 「~を物笑いの種にする」とありました。 He is soooooo cool. I often make fun of his lovely jokes. この文章からだとどのような和訳になりますか? 前文で褒めているので嫌味にはなりませんか?

• catch himself

My father had an ulcer that became infected. It was relatively simple to cure but he refused to believe the doctors. Instead he diagnosed himself with some sort of virus. He stopped taking his medicine. He created his own ointments instead. He’s very intelligent so his reasoning could sound very convincing. It was hard to identify when it crossed the line into mental illness. But the infection never healed. He went from surfing and swimming every day to barely being able to walk. He aged twenty years. And still he refused to go to a doctor. He’d isolate himself from anyone who challenged him. When he finally collapsed and was admitted to a hospital, the doctors said he had the lowest red blood cell count they’d ever seen. Only then did he accept that things were out of his control. He’s much healthier now. He’s almost back to normal. He’ll occasionally fall into the old script of defending his actions, but he manages to catch himself. catch himselfはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• save him from himself

My five year-old son is starting kindergarten and wants to dress himself. None of his clothing matches and I’m worried his friends and others will make fun of him for the way he looks. He is insisting on picking out his own clothes. My husband and I are torn over what to do. Do we allow him to pick his own clothes OR do we save him from himself and demand he wear what we tell him to? save him from himself はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• invited himself

But since the second visit, he has invited himself over a few times.https://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/lifeadvice/dearannie/s-2039650 とあったのですが、 invited himselfとはどのような意味でしょうか?単にcameとは違うのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• make too much の使い方を教えてください

手持ちの表現辞典に次の文例がありました。 彼は子供を可愛すぎる。 He makes too much of his child. この make too much は英和などで調べてものっていないのですが(調べ方の問題かもしれませんが)、どうして、可愛すぎるという意味になるのかわかりません。 差し支えなければ、意味と用例を教えてもらえますでしょうか。 よろしくお願いします。

• make it a rule to...

He makes it a rule to take an hour's walk before breakfast. 「make it a rule to...」はよく知られていますが、ネイティブはこんな表現を使うでしょうか。 単に、He always takes an hour's walk before breakfast. というほうが普通ではありませんか。

• make it to 名詞の意味

This makes it vulnerable to Staricco’s fourth criticism of CPE, namely, the culturalist bias shown in stressing the constitutive role of economic imaginaries in the emergence and consolidation of social forces and economic regimes. 上記英文のmakes it vulnerable to Staricco’s fourth criticism of CPEをお訳し下さい。宜しくお願いします。

• makes himself scarce

Susie is almost 12 and seems to be testing the limits in ways I would never have tolerated. She sasses her mother and dominates the conversation at the dinner table. When told to clear away her dirty dishes, she instead goes to the cupboard for a snack. Her discarded clothes are in every room of the house. When told to get ready for school, she turns on the TV. The bathroom floor is cluttered with whatever she tossed there. She even "forgets" to flush the toilet! My daughter, with incredible patience, sees this behavior as typical for her age. I see Susie as a brat testing her power. Her father says little and makes himself scarce. makes himself scarceとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• on the receiving end of buyingの意味

"the dollar's weakness makes it easier for the euro to be on the receiving end of buying"という文章なんですが、on the receiving end of buying とはどういう意味でしょうか?