• ベストアンサー

New polls question Giuliani Florida

U.S. presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani decided right from the start that his road to the White House passed through Florida, a diverse state rich in retired New Yorkers, immigrants and economic woes. 冒頭の文ですが、このdecided right from the start that his road to the White House passed through Florida,ですが、 right(まさに) from the start(この選挙を始めるにあたり当初から) that his road to the White House passed through Florida,(大統領への道がフロリダから始まると決意していた)みたいな感じでしょうか。 "These numbers can't be good news for Mayor Giuliani," he said. "Giuliani is showing the negative effects of poor finishes in Iowa and New Hampshire." ジュリアーニ氏は、アイオワ州、ニューハンプシャー州での失敗というマイナス効果を示している。 このpoor finishesとはジュリアーニ氏のことでしょうか。 どうも事実関係と一致しない気がするのですが。 何もしていないのに、失敗というのが良く分かりません。 氏自身ではなく、ジュリアーニ氏の行動が、マイナス効果を示しているということでしょうか。 http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1443042620080114?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0 2ページ目4段落です。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • taked4700
  • ベストアンサー率37% (777/2050)
回答No.2

回答がつきませんね。何故でしょうか? ちょっとしか読んでいませんが、多分、次のような意味だと思います。 >decided right from the start that his road to the White House passed through Florida, 「最初から、大統領への道は、(他のところをパスして)フロリダから始まる、と決めていた」 または、 「最初から、大統領への道は、(他のところを通るのではなく)フロリダを通っている、と決めていた」 でしょう。つまり、Iowa and New Hampshireは無視していたと言うことでしょう。 >"These numbers can't be good news for Mayor Giuliani," he said. "Giuliani is showing the negative effects of poor finishes in Iowa and New Hampshire." >ジュリアーニ氏は、アイオワ州、ニューハンプシャー州での失敗というマイナス効果を示している。 で、特におかしいとは思いません。上手な意訳が出来ないのですが、effectsとかfinishes と複数形になっているのは、具体的な出来事を意味していて、少ない得票数の結果、「たいしたことない奴だ」のようなマイナスの効果が発生してしまっていると言うことではないでしょうか。当初は、運動をしなくても、今までの実績でそこそこの票が取れると読んでいたのに、予想以上に悪いので、それが否定的な効果に現れていると言うことであろうと思います。 >氏自身ではなく、ジュリアーニ氏の行動が、マイナス効果を示しているということでしょうか。 「氏自身」と言う意味がよく分かりません。ともかく、二つの州を手抜きすると言う戦術が予想以上のマイナスを招いていると言うことだと思います。

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

>当初は、運動をしなくても、今までの実績でそこそこの票が取れると読んでいたのに そうなのですね。 この2地区は完全に諦めて、範疇にないものと思っていましたので、この2地区での敗戦は予想され、そのマイナス効果も想定済みという深読みをしてしまいました。 しかもここでは氏の主観ではなく、もっと客観的なものですね。 質問が分かりにくく失礼しました。

その他の回答 (1)

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

最初の文はそういうことでいいかと思います。 2つ目の文ですが、poor finishes というのはジュリアーニがアイオワとニューハンプシャーで惨敗したことを指していますよね。 この文を一応訳しておきますと「ジュリアーニはアイオワとニューハンプシャーでの惨敗の悪影響をあらわにしてしまっている」 事実関係と一致しない、というのはどういうことでしょうか? 彼はこれらの州での戦いを見送ったため存在感が薄れてしまい、そのあとの選挙戦でも悪影響が出ているということで、「何もしなかった」ということがすなわち失敗だと思います。

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

「何もしなかった」ということがすなわち失敗 やはりそのままの意味でよいのですね。 何もしないで、ほとんどアイオワとニューハンプシャーは放棄し、最初から諦めていたに近いようなものだから、それなりの悪影響は出ることは想定済みだろうという深読みをしてしまいました。 ジュリアーニ自身がそのように思っていたかどうかに関わらず、実際に悪影響が出ているのですね。 質問の仕方も悪かったようです。 ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英訳してください!!!

In 1939, Japanese diplomat Chiune Sugihara was stationed in Lithuania during one of the darkest times in human history. He saved thousands of Polish Jews from the Nazis by issuing transit visas to them. Refusing to obey his own government, he wrote visas day and night. He even wrote them quickly by hand and passed them through a train window as he Lithuania. His bold and extraordinary act was largely unknown and unsung for many years―until people who had been rescued by Sugihara began to tell his story. Soon, his courage and greatness were celebrated all over the world, catching the attention of the mass media and inspiring several authors to write books on the actions of the "Japanese Schindler". Meanwhile, the Israeli government was gathering names of "courageous rescuers" to repay their efforts. As one of the ways to express its gratitude, the government decided to plant trees in their honor. When Sugihara's courage came to light, Israeli officials immediately made plans to plant cherry trees in his memory. But suddenly, officials changed the order. They decided the cherry trees, deciding that cedar was stronger. It was only after they planted the trees that the officials learned that "Sugihara" in Japanese means ... cedar trees.

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

It pains me to write the things I do on here (I want to be writing positive Scott articles) but to act like Scott showing up late and performing drunk is okay for his health wouldn't be the right thing to do, it's a road that will end in his death. I sincerely hope if there is anybody reading this article who knows Scott that they can reach out to him and prevent the worst from happening. ※『Scott Weiland』は人物名です。

• ス  の字の書き方を英語で説明

Start from the upper and left, and go to the right. And from that point, draw a diagnol line to the bottom line. In the middle of the second line, draw yet another diagnol line to the bottom right. いかがでしょうか。

• 英文翻訳をお願いします。

Supporting troops from the 33rd Brigade, were caught by fire from the German pillboxes but reached the Cockcroft, passed beyond and dug in despite fire from Bulow Farm. On the left flank, these battalions reached the Langemarck road, passed Rat House and Pheasant Trench and ended their advance just short of the White House, joining with the right side of the brigade on the Lekkerboterbeek. In the XIV Corps area, the 20th Division attacked with two brigades at 4:45 a.m. The battalions of the right brigade leap-frogged forward on a one-battalion front, crossed the Steenbeek and then advancing in single file, worming round shell craters full of water and mud. Alouette Farm, Langemarck and the first two objective lines were reached easily. At 7:20 a.m., the advance to the final objective began and immediately encountered machine-gun fire from the Rat House and White House, which continued until they were captured, the final objective being taken at 7:45 a.m., as German troops withdrew to a small wood behind White House. The left brigade advanced on a two-battalion front and encountered machine-gun fire from Au Bon Gite before it was captured and was then fired on from German blockhouses in front of Langemarck and from the railway station. Once these had been captured, the advance resumed at 7:20 a.m., despite fire from hidden parties of defenders and reached the final objective at 7:47 a.m., under fire from the Rat House. German counter-attacks began around 4:00 p.m. and advanced 200 yd (180 m) around Schreiboom, being driven back some distance later on. The 29th Division to the north, attacked at the same time with two brigades. On the right the first objective was reached quickly and assistance given to the 20th Division further south. The Newfoundland Regiment passed through, being held up slightly by marshy conditions and fire from Cannes Farm. The Newfoundlanders continued, reached the third objective and then took Japan House beyond. The left brigade took the first objective easily, then met machine-gun fire from Champeaubert Farm in the French First Army sector and from Montmirail Farm.

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

During a rally in Florida this morning, Donald Trump broke from his speech to discuss a topic of national importance: how beautiful he is. Spotting someone in the crowd wearing a Trump mask, Trump went off on a tangent about his own face. “Look at this mask. Look at this mask. Oh wow. Wow, that’s beautiful. Look at that. Looks just like me.”

• どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。

どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。 It was summer of the year 1883.A poor peasant was on his way to a big city to look for work.His clothes were ragged and his shoes worn out,he had an empty stomach and no money,but he was whistling cheerfully to himself.A kind hearted driver had brough him several nundred miles in his automobile and he had only ahother fifty miles or so to go. Having not eaten for several weeks,he was a little hungry.He had an old,dry piece of bread in his pocket which he had scrounged from a hardware store he would soon pass,and he was saving it for the right moment.Now that moment had come. Just beside the road,there was a hamburger store.The delicious smell of beef,onions and lettuce wafted through the closed window to where the poor man was standing.He sat sat down on a toadstool and began to eat his sandwich. When he had finished eating,he stood up and began to walk away.The owner of the hamburger store came running out,shouting "Hey!You haven't paid for your hamberger."The poor man answered with indignation "What humburger?I don't eat any hamburgers."The store owner replied "No but you smelled them while you were eating,that's nearly the same thing.Pay up or I'll call the cops." The poor man didn't want any trouble,so he said"OK,I admit I did smell one.How much are they?""85 cents,"replied the store owner.The poor man took out a dollar bill and shook it loudly."Did you hear that?"he asked."That was a dollar bill.Now where's my change?"

• どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。助けてください。

どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。助けてください。 ※最後まで、翻訳できる方、お願いします。 It was summer of the year 1883.A poor peasant was on his way to a big city to look for work.His clothes were ragged and his shoes worn out,he had an empty stomach and no money,but he was whistling cheerfully to himself.A kind hearted driver had brough him several nundred miles in his automobile and he had only ahother fifty miles or so to go. Having not eaten for several weeks,he was a little hungry.He had an old,dry piece of bread in his pocket which he had scrounged from a hardware store he would soon pass,and he was saving it for the right moment.Now that moment had come. Just beside the road,there was a hamburger store.The delicious smell of beef,onions and lettuce wafted through the closed window to where the poor man was standing.He sat sat down on a toadstool and began to eat his sandwich. When he had finished eating,he stood up and began to walk away.The owner of the hamburger store came running out,shouting "Hey!You haven't paid for your hamberger."The poor man answered with indignation "What humburger?I don't eat any hamburgers."The store owner replied "No but you smelled them while you were eating,that's nearly the same thing.Pay up or I'll call the cops." The poor man didn't want any trouble,so he said"OK,I admit I did smell one.How much are they?""85 cents,"replied the store owner.The poor man took out a dollar bill and shook it loudly."Did you hear that?"he asked."That was a dollar bill.Now where's my change?"

• どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。

どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。 ※翻訳サイトを使わない翻訳を、お願いします。 It was summer of the year 1883.A poor peasant was on his way to a big city to look for work.His clothes were ragged and his shoes worn out,he had an empty stomach and no money,but he was whistling cheerfully to himself.A kind hearted driver had brough him several nundred miles in his automobile and he had only ahother fifty miles or so to go. Having not eaten for several weeks,he was a little hungry.He had an old,dry piece of bread in his pocket which he had scrounged from a hardware store he would soon pass,and he was saving it for the right moment.Now that moment had come. Just beside the road,there was a hamburger store.The delicious smell of beef,onions and lettuce wafted through the closed window to where the poor man was standing.He sat sat down on a toadstool and began to eat his sandwich. When he had finished eating,he stood up and began to walk away.The owner of the hamburger store came running out,shouting "Hey!You haven't paid for your hamberger."The poor man answered with indignation "What humburger?I don't eat any hamburgers."The store owner replied "No but you smelled them while you were eating,that's nearly the same thing.Pay up or I'll call the cops." The poor man didn't want any trouble,so he said"OK,I admit I did smell one.How much are they?""85 cents,"replied the store owner.The poor man took out a dollar bill and shook it loudly."Did you hear that?"he asked."That was a dollar bill.Now where's my change?"

どなたか、翻訳、お願いします。助けてください。 ※最後まで、翻訳できる方、お願いします。 It was summer of the year 1883.A poor peasant was on his way to a big city to look for work.His clothes were ragged and his shoes worn out,he had an empty stomach and no money,but he was whistling cheerfully to himself.A kind hearted driver had brough him several nundred miles in his automobile and he had only ahother fifty miles or so to go. Having not eaten for several weeks,he was a little hungry.He had an old,dry piece of bread in his pocket which he had scrounged from a hardware store he would soon pass,and he was saving it for the right moment.Now that moment had come. Just beside the road,there was a hamburger store.The delicious smell of beef,onions and lettuce wafted through the closed window to where the poor man was standing.He sat sat down on a toadstool and began to eat his sandwich. When he had finished eating,he stood up and began to walk away.The owner of the hamburger store came running out,shouting "Hey!You haven't paid for your hamberger."The poor man answered with indignation "What humburger?I don't eat any hamburgers."The store owner replied "No but you smelled them while you were eating,that's nearly the same thing.Pay up or I'll call the cops." The poor man didn't want any trouble,so he said"OK,I admit I did smell one.How much are they?""85 cents,"replied the store owner.The poor man took out a dollar bill and shook it loudly."Did you hear that?"he asked."That was a dollar bill.Now where's my change?"