• ベストアンサー

Don't quote me.

70年代の刑事ドラマからです。お願いします。 強盗犯を追跡中の刑事A。 発砲してきた犯人を狙って撃った弾は、通りがかった女性に当たってしまいます。 主治医Xから、彼女は現在失明状態だと説明を受けますが…。 A: Will she be able to see? X: ... There's a possibility. A: How much of a possibility? X: Look, this isn't a grocery store. I can't trade 5 pounds of hope for $10 of wishes. You shot her, she's blind. The chances of her recovering her eyesight are maybe 50 percent. And don't quote me. タイトル部分がわかりませんでした。 教えていただけないでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

Gです。こんにちは!! とうとう摂氏ゼロになってしまいました。 今回は上海に一週間いることになりますが、今のところ20度以上なのでその点だけは楽しみにしています。 <g> フィーリング、フィーリング、フィーリングです。 皆さんのご回答はこの文章としての意味合いはそうなります。 つまり、引用しないでくれよ(直訳的ですが)、ここだけのことにしておいて、頼りにしないで、そして、(その数字を)保証できるほどの確信はない、後になって引き合いにしないでくれよ、などの意味合いがあるのは問題ないことです。 しかし、目が見えるようになるのは50%かもしれない、と言っていますね。 その後に、Don't quote me.と言っているわけです。 私が言いたいのはフィーリングです。 なぜ、ここでandが使われているのか、と言うことなのです。  Butではないのです。 Butであれば、50%のチャンスはある、でも、、、、、、。となりますね。 Andであるからこそ、この文章が違うフィーリングが出てくるわけです。 50%のチャンスがある、そして、それを俺が保障したなんて後で言わないでくれよ、それだけチャンスがないと言うことだと言うことを知ってくれ、と言うフィ-リングを出そうとしているわけです。 つまり、Look, this isn't a grocery store. I can't trade 5 pounds of hope for $10 of wishes. You shot her, she's blind. の部分を強調しているといってもいいほどの役割をしているわけです。 Butではそのフィーリングを出すにはあまりにも弱いと言うことなのですね。 50%の確立はある、だからそんなに心配するな、でも、今俺が言ったことを、、、、、するなよ、と言っているのではない、と気がついてもらいたいのです。 つまり、「中学で習った基本的なANDの意味を忘れてしまってはもったいない」と事なのです。 そしてなぜこの人はこのANDを使いたかったのか、に関心も持たなければフィーリングそのものを感じることができない、と言うことになってしまうのです。 hanaさんや私のことを知っているほかの何人かを除いてはこのことを「細かいこと過ぎる」「自分の英語習得には参考にならない」と感じてしまうみたいで非常に残念に思っていますが仕方ないですね。 <g> I sell you this for $1.00 but it's a good price.と I sell you this for $1.00 and It's a good price.ではその人が持っていて伝えようとするフィーリングはぜんぜん違うと言うことであり、文法学者さんが「接続詞」と呼ぶだけでフィーリングに関して教えてくれないのではもったいない、と言うことになると思いませんか? これでいかがでしょうか。 分かりにくい点がありましたら、補足質問してください。  

hana2005-1962
質問者

お礼

こんにちは、Gさん! I'm sorry for the late reply. >引用しないでくれよ quoteを、この直訳的意味でとっていいものかどうか迷っていました。 >それだけチャンスがないと ここでの"and"の持つ意味にまで言及してくださって、ありがとうございます。 ここでは、quoteが気になっていて、正直、そこまでは考えていませんでした。 この場面では、 一般人を巻き込んでしまった一警官に対する、周囲からの冷ややかな空気が感じられてなりませんでしたが、 彼が、ここで"and"を使ったのも納得できました。 よくわかりました。 >細かいこと 私は、学校文法や長文読解を終えました。 会話習得(に近づくこと)が次の目標です。 これに対するアプローチについては、人それぞれ、様々な方法があるでしょうが、私は自分なりの方法を見つける事が出来た、と感じています。 スクールでインストラクターと話す機会がありますが、たまに彼らが、”素”になって聞いてくれる”日本に対する素朴な疑問”には、どう答えたものか、と考え込んだりするときもあります。自分が日本人であることを再認識できるし〈g〉、いかに知識が浅いかをおもいしらされたりもしますが、後日改めて報告したり、と、こういうコミュニケーションをとれるのは楽しいですね。 話してみたら、同じような悩みをかかえていた、なんてこともありました…。でも、このときは感情が先走ってしまって、うまく話せませんでした。彼女は理解してくれましたが(言葉を超えて、です)、話せなかったことはいまでも残念に思っています。 そして、まさにこんなときなんです。 toolとして英語を使いこなしたい!と思うときって。 日本語を話すとき、無意識のうちに言葉を選んでいるように、 英語でもそうできるようになりたい、 少しでもそこに近づきたい、と思っています。 …すみません、ポイントずれちゃったかな。 長くなってしまいました。失礼しました。 そうそう、以前に教えていただいた、If構文で読み取る”裏のフィーリング”はずっとここ(どこ??〈g〉)にありますよ。 (I keep that in mind.です) とても大切にしまってあります。〈g〉 ありがとうございました! PS >今回は上海に G san, I'm glad to know that you're gonna give me an opportunity to say to you, "Happy landing!" this time again, right?〈g〉

その他の回答 (3)

• akijake
  • ベストアンサー率43% (431/992)
回答No.3

こんにちは。 ここでのquoteは何かを証拠や例として挙げると言う意味合いだと思います。 Don't quote me. をそのまま考えると、「自分の言った事を「彼がこう言った」みたいな感じで、確実なものとして誰かに言うな(考えるな)」ということではないでしょうか。 「50%の可能性」と言った後で、 And don't quote me. と言っているという事は、 「確実な数値ではないが/はっきりとは言えない」 「あんまり(この数値に)期待/頼りにしないでくれ」 のような感じのニュアンスで言っていると思います。

hana2005-1962
質問者

お礼

こんにちは。 回答ありがとうございます。 返信が遅くなってしまいました。申し訳ありません! >確実なものとして誰かに言うな そうですね。 "quote"って本当にあまり見たことがなかったので、迷ってしまいました。 辞書ではわからないもっと別の意味があるのか…と。 場面からはわりと固いことばなのかな、という印象も受けたんですが。 ありがとうございました!

• fwkk8769
  • ベストアンサー率61% (160/259)
回答No.2

Don't quote me (on that[it]). 「ここだけの話しにしてください」(『ウィズダム英和辞典』第二版)ということのようです。

hana2005-1962
質問者

お礼

こんにちは。 回答ありがとうございます。 返信が遅れました。申し訳ありません。 >『ウィズダム英和辞典』第二版 わざわざ探していただき、ありがとうございます。 辞書にも記載があるんですね。 よくわかりました。 ありがとうございました。

noname#114795
noname#114795
回答No.1

quote は「引き合いに出す」,「例示する」,「引用する」の意味合いですね. この場合,その医師は,回復の可能性について,後で責任を取らされかねない証言をしたくないという意思表示をしているのでしょう.

hana2005-1962
質問者

お礼

こんにちは。 回答ありがとうございます。 返信が遅くなり、申し訳ありません。 quoteについては、 引用するときに使う"quote""unquote"を見たことがあるくらいでした。 ストーリーの中で、このセリフを考えてみて、 深い意味合いにとれることがわかりました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 入試問題です。初めて見る問題でさっぱりわかりません

入試問題です。初めて見る問題でさっぱりわかりません。 She is a talented musician( ). 1 that brother of her 2 that brother of her's 3 her that brother 4 that brother of hers よろしくお願いします。

• relayの意味

I don't want her to think we're being cheap, as we've talked about the possibility of her coming a few times -- but outside of sharing these blog posts with her, how can I express to her that I'm concerned she would have the worst time of her life, as others have relayed in their posts? https://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/lifeadvice/askamy/s-2022201-p2 ここでのrelayedはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語質問

以下の文章を和訳して頂きたいです。 かなり困って居ます><宜しくお願いします。 (1)I had a sister who had diabetes.She died when she was 39. If she had lived a century ago, she would have been dead by the age of 14. Had she been born today, she probably would have lived a full life because gene therapy would soon be able to replace her defective ganes. My parents told me Andrea had diabetes when I was a high school student in California. And later, I learned Andrea would have the disease forever and would be taking shots every day of her life so she could live. I knew it was serious. Without insulin, Andrea's cells would die even though she had plenty of suger in her blood. Each day she would measure her suger level and them inject insulin into her thigh. (2)Time passed, and I went to Colorado Callege. Andrea went to the University of Southern California. I think that USC was a good choice for her. She went to classes, parties, and maintained her California blonde good looks. She graduated, married a lawyer-to-be, adopted a child because of repeated miscarriages due to her diabetes, and got divorced-a typical American story except for the diabetes. (3)Andrea, along with the rest of my family, remainded in California while I was moving about the country getting an education, as well as being a wife and mother of two children. I settled on the opposite side of the country in Buffalo, New York. (4)One day Andrea came to Buffalo. We soon learned she was going blind. She told us that only an operation would help her eyes. Her physicians did not hold out much hope because of her lifelong treatment with inslin; although it had saved her life, it had also caused malfunctioning in her circulatory system. Her eyes were only part of the problem; her entire cardiovascular system was compromised. The operation, in fact, would be dangerous. (5)My sister was adament. She had tired going to classes designed to help patients who were going blind. She said she would rather be dead than blind. She was going forward with the operation, which would be in a couple of weeks. (6)Andrea died on the operating table at the age of 39. It was cardiac arrest, not an uncommon fate for diabetics whose cardiovascular systems were compromised. She had visited me to say goodbye-except I did not know it.

• 英文

以下の英文の翻訳お願いできませんか? (1)I had a sister who had diabetes. She died when she was 39. If she had lived a century ago, she would have been dead by the age of 14. Had she been born today, she probably would have lived a full life because gene therapy would soon be able to replace her defective genes. My parents told me Andrea had diabetes when I was a high school student in California. And later, I learned Andrea would have the disease forever and world be taking shots every day of her life so she could live. I knew it was serious. Without insulin, Andrea's cells would die even though she had plenty of sugar in her blood. Each day she would measure her sugar level and then inject insulin into her thigh. (2)Time passed, and I went to Colorado College. Andrea went to the University of Southern California. I think that USC was a good choice for her. She went to classes, parties, and maintained her California blonde good looks. She graduated, married a lawyer-to- be, adopted a child because of repeated miscarriages due to her diabetes, and got divorced--- a typical American story except for the diabetes. (3)Andrea died on the operating table at the age of 39. It was cardiac arrest, not an uncommon fate for diabetics whose cardiovascular systems were compromised. She had visited me to say goodbye ---except I did not know it. (4)One day Andrea came to Buffalo. We soon learned she was going blind. She told us that only an operation would help her eyes. Her physicians did not hold out much hope because of her lifelong treatment with insulin; although it had saved her life, it had also caused malfunctioning in her circulatory system. Her eyes were only part of the problem; her entire cadiovascular system was compromised. The operation, in fact, would be dangerous. (5)My sister was adamant. She had tried going to classes designed to help patients who were going blind. She said she would rather be dead than blind. She was going forward with the operation, which would be in a couple of weeks. (6)Andrea, along with the rest of my famiy,remainedin California while I was moving about the country getting an education, as well as being a wife and mother of children. I settled on the two opposite side of the country in Buffalo, New York.

• up and told me

I was dating this amazing girl for a few months, when all of a sudden, she up and told me her feelings toward me had changed. up andはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします((。´・ω・)。´_ _))

和訳お願いします((。´・ω・)。´_ _)) Meet Jenne Jenne is seven year old. She's still young and very helpful. She works as a PR dog. She was a guide dog for a blind pearson before. Now she's a ‘‘teacher” for us. She's very clever. We can learn a lot from her. Come and meet her at the Midori Junior High School gym at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday,April 15. Jenne was cute! She looked happy with the instructor. Can we meet her again? I was very surprised. Jenne sat biside the instructor and never bark. Jenne was waiting quietly during the instructor's speech. She looked very smart. We can be like Jenne. She's very helpful. Let's help people,too. 長々とすいません… バカなもので← 急いでいるので回答してくださると嬉しいです(・∀・)

• 和訳お願いします

I love her. She is sexy and beautiful. She looks like she's the kind of woman that feels a bit trapped by her beauty in such a way that it disallows her toughness to be taken so seriously. haha Awesome drawing.

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

Whether the family has a mother or not has no influence on a child's chances of surviving. To the researcher's surprise, what was effective in improving children's chances of survival was not the presence of their father's mother but of their mother's mother.

• 英文の構造で分からないところがあります

いつもお世話になっています。 以下の英文は、「父は母のアルコール依存症について家族以外の者には誰にも話さなかった。それで、いくらかの自尊心を保つことはできた」という内容に続く文なのですが、 It wasn't there if it wasn't spoken about. This did in fact keep open the possibility of her behaving well, and in the last year of his life he took her on a few holidays abroad, and she, freed from any hint of being a mother, for once not bored, and having him all to herself, loved every moment of those escapes. (あるものは話されなければ存在しない。これは、彼女(母)がよく振舞う可能性を確かに開き続けた(?)。そして、彼(父)が亡くなる最後の年に、彼は彼女を数日間の海外旅行に連れて行った。彼女は、母親であることから全く解放されて、こういう場合に限り退屈しないわけだが、彼を自分の用のためだけに使い続け、この逃避の全ての瞬間を本当に楽しんだ。) この文の、This did in fact keep open the possibility of her behaving wellという部分がよく分かりません。特にkeep open the possibilityのところはどういう語法なのでしょうか。keep opening the possibilityなら分かるのですが。

• walked me through

I've been friends with "Myrtle" for nearly 20 years. She used to work for me. I'm a very strong, independent woman. I've never needed many friends (I've been married to my best friend for 37 years). Myrtle has always been a drama queen. She demands a lot of attention. She is exhausting. Her husband and I have also butted heads over the years. It drains me to hang out with them for any period of time. The last time she had one of her explosions, I backed off. My therapist has walked me through my feelings and I'm now very clear that being with her is unhealthy for me. I tried to back out slowly, but then she created drama over nothing again -- exploding, and then coming back and apologizing. walked me through my feelingsとcreated drama over nothingの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします