• ベストアンサー

his will prevailedの訳し方?

He could not bear contradiction; he did not have the strength that allows opposition. He could be generous only when his will prevailed. 最後の一文のhis will prevailedは、どのように訳しますか? よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数8

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

彼は否定されることを耐え忍ぶことができなかった。反対意見を容認するだけの寛容さを彼は持ち合わせていなかったのだ。彼は自分の意志を貫き通すことができたときのみ、寛大であった。 "when his will prevailed." "彼の(自らの)意志を貫き通すことができたとき" でしょうか。

X_in_a_XXX
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 すごいですね!

その他の回答 (1)

• Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.2

#1さんの書かれたとおりなのですが、あえて追加するとwillは名詞で「意志」なのですね。

X_in_a_XXX
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 追加ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 倒置?

Only when his wife entered his life and imposed her will upon him did he decide to rebel. がどういう構造をしているのかわかりません。。 おそらく、倒置だと思うのですが…

• Bill will come back when he h

Bill will come back when he has spent all his money. の訳を教えてください。

• There is no knowing when he will be

There is no knowing when he will be done. この英文のknowingは動名詞でしょうか?又noはnotでは駄目でしょうか? 最後にNobody knows when he will be done.にすると意味は違ってきますか? お願い致します。

• on his own terms

My grandfather passed away three years ago. It was the first death in the family I’ve experienced. I was absolutely in bits when he died. He was very healthy all of my life until that point. He had an ongoing “flu” for a couple weeks that turned out to be cancer, and he passed within a month of letting all of the immediate family know about the diagnosis. He did not opt for treatment that would have lengthened his life, which I absolutely am grateful for. He passed on his own terms in his home. He passed on his own terms「自分が思うがままに死んだ」?でしょうか?どういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• union in his faith

I am agnostic, but my boyfriend is religious. He has recently become more devoted to his religion and is not certain but thinks he will want a union in his faith, which does not allow marriage to a non-adherent. union in his faithとallow marriage to a non-adherentはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 以下の英文訳がわかりません。

That which a person did not burn for in his young days, he will not easily work for as a man どういう文法でしょうか?

• only if...or if..の構造

defendant may be found not guilty by reason of insanity only if he was so severely disturbed at the time of his act that he did not know what he was doing, or if he did know what he was doing, did not know that it was wrong. 被告は有罪ではないと見出すだろう、精神障害という理由によって、自分が何をしているかわからないという彼の行為の際に、彼がひどく困惑する場合に限り…または、自分が何をしているか知っているときや、それが間違っていると知らないときに限り… or if~が、どういう繋がりになってるかいまいちわかりません。 構造は下記のような形だと思います。 defendant may be found not guilty by reason of insanity 【only if he was so severely disturbed at the time of his act that he did not know what he was doing】, or【if he (did know what he was doing), (did not know that it was wrong).】 only if~で、~の場合に限り、と条件付けが始まっていますが、 自分が何をしているかわからないという彼の行為の際に、彼がひどく困惑する場合に限り or 自分が何をしているか知っているとき、それが間違っていると知らないときに限り と訳すのでしょうか?文脈的に不適切な気がします。

• 文法問題

he could not bear to think of (his dog being sold) to that cruel man. ↑は正解の文です。 選択の問題なのですが、()のところが(having his dog sell)だと、なぜいけないのでしょうか? 正解の方は「彼は彼の犬があの冷酷な男に売られるとかんがえるのに堪えられなかった」 「彼は彼の犬をあの冷酷な男に売ることを考えるのに堪えられなかった。」 どちらでもよさそうだなと思ったのですが。 よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳を! 3-(7)

お願いします。  Today when archaeologists dig up the bodies of pyramid builders it is clear that many survived serious injuries thanks to Imhotep and his long list of cures. But many did not. And, during the Old Kingdom, life everlasting was not for the common man. He could only hope to play his part in the cycle of life and death by building a tribute to his king and in doing so add to the grandeur of Egypt.

• 和訳の添削をおねがいします。

Neither would have become the success he did had he not been willing to learn from his failures and keep trying when things went against him. で、 失敗から学ぶことや、物事が彼の考えに合わないときでも挑戦し続けることを嫌がっていては成功はない と訳したのですがどうでしょうか? Neither would have become the success he did had he not の部分がよくわかりません。 もしよければ解答を作っていただけるとうれしいです。