• ベストアンサー

倒置?

Only when his wife entered his life and imposed her will upon him did he decide to rebel. がどういう構造をしているのかわかりません。。 おそらく、倒置だと思うのですが…

• 0_0y
  • お礼率97% (35/36)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.2

妻が彼の人生に入ってきて、彼女の意志を彼に押しつけるようになって初めて(なった時だけ)、彼は反抗する決心をしました。 Only when his wife entered his life and imposed her will upon him の部分が先に出て、それ以降が did he decide to rebel. のように倒置になっています。 He decided to rebel only when his wife entered his life and imposed her will upon him. が、倒置でない語順です。 <参考> 3 - 3. 否定の副詞語句が文頭にくる場合 http://eigogakusyu-web.com/grammar/116/#TITLE_03_03

0_0y
質問者

お礼

早速の回答ありがとうございます。 参考サイトも役立ちました

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

Only when his wife entered his life and imposed her will upon him did he decide to rebel. He decided to rebel only when his wife entered his life and imposed her will upon him. で only when ~を前に出して, did he decide ~と倒置になっています。 only when ~は「~する時だけ」で,「~する時しかない」という否定の裏返しなので, 否定を表す語が文頭に出た場合の倒置に含まれる,と説明されます。 妻が彼の生活に立ち入り,自分の意志を彼に押し付けるときのみ, 彼は(妻に)反抗しようと決心した。

0_0y
質問者

お礼

早速の回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 倒置の文章について

倒置の文章について Only when the signed document is received in this office will a contract exist between you and us. この倒置文を倒置のない文章に戻すと When the singed document is received in this office, a contract will only exist between you and us. となると考えていいでしょうか。

• 助動詞を含む倒置の語順について

助動詞を含む倒置の語順について Great ( ) his surprise when the truth is revealed. 上の文のカッコの部分にはwill be なのか be willなのかを教えてください。 His surprise will be greatが元の文ですよね。ここからgreatが先頭に出ます。 Great his surprise will be.倒置になったので、語順が変わります。 Great will be his surprise.となりますよね? このように考えるとwill beなのかなぁと思うのですが、倒置だから元の語順と異なるのが普通だ、だからbe willだとも思ってしまっております。 どなたが教えてください。

• 倒置文についてです。

Only when the tension increases do I start working seriously to get the job done. という倒置文において、なぜdoが出て来るのでしょうか?これは、代動詞というやつですか? どういうときに、出てくるのかよくわかりません。 例えば、下の3つの例文においては倒置文を作った時に、(3)だけはdidが顔を出しています。(1)、(2)の文ではただ自動的にひっくり返しただけの文になっています。何が違うのでしょうか? (1)I have never felt happier than now. → Never have I felt happier than now. (2)We had hardly left the hall when it began to rain heavily. → Hardly had we left the hall when it began to rain heavily. (3)He little dreamed of such a thing. → Little did he dream of such a thing.

• 英語の質問です。

Shi will make him a good wife. という、文がありました。 訳は「彼女は彼のいい奥さんになるだろう」です。 しかし、彼の だから、 文中のhimは、hisではないのでしょうか? him って、彼を とか、彼に ですよね? 目的格・・・・か、ちょっと曖昧なのですが。。 すみませんが 教えてください

• his will prevailedの訳し方?

He could not bear contradiction; he did not have the strength that allows opposition. He could be generous only when his will prevailed. 最後の一文のhis will prevailedは、どのように訳しますか? よろしくお願い致します。

• 以下の英文の言い回しは合っていますか?

色々な言い方があるとは思いますが、私の考えた英文でも間違いはないでしょうか?ご指導下さいm(__)m (1)早く病気が良くなればいいですね。→I hope you will be getting better soon. (2)すみませんが、駅へ行く道を教えて下さい。→Excuse me, but could you tell me the way to the satation?(疑問形にしていいのでしょうか) (3)手紙を見て彼との約束を思い出しました。→His letter reminded me of the promise. あるいは of his promise. あるいは of the promise with him.(どの言い回しが自然でしょうか?) (4)いつどこで彼女と知り合ったのですか?→When and where did you get to know her?(did you come to know her?も同じ意味だと思いますが、get to know her?でも大丈夫ですか?) (5)英語を書く時、iの点を書くのを忘れない様に注意して下さい。→Please make sure to dot the i's when you write English.(調べたら、iの点を書く= dot the i's と英語ではよく表現すると載ってたのですがこれでいいのでしょうか?)

• 源氏物語の翻訳について 5

いつも回答をありがとうございます。 少しずつですが疑問を解決して読み進めることができて嬉しいです。 続きです。 1) The seven weeks of mourning were,by the Emperor's order, minutely observed.Time passed, but he still lived in rigid seclusion from the ladies of the Court. The servants who waited upon him had a sad life,for he wept almost without ceasing both day and night. とあります。 the servantsが複数になっていますがhad a sad lifeと単数形になるのはなぜなのでしょうか? 2) Kokiden and the other great ladies were still relentless,and went about saying ”it looked as though the Emperor would be no less foolishly obsessed by her memory than he had been by her person.” 会話文になっているところですが、no less ~thanの構文ではあるのですが、he had been by her personの意味がとれません。ここは全体的にどのように訳したらよいのでしょうか? 3) He did indeed sometimes see Kokiden's son,the first-born prince.But this only made him long the more to see the lady's child,and he was always sending trusted servants,such as his own old nurse,to report to him upon the boy's progress. ●この文で最初のHeの後にすぐdidが入っていますがなぜでしょうか? ●またButの後のonlyの後には何か単語が省略されているのでしょうか? ●the moreとなっていますがmoreにtheがつくこともあるのでしょうか? 質問が細かくなってしまいましたがよろしくお願いします。

• 大至急、翻訳をお願い致します。

ROCK STAR DIVORCE AIN'T EASY Robin asked why Scott's performances have been erratic lately (a reference to the time she went to see him earlier this year and he took forever to take the stage and, later, was incoherent) Scott said his failing marriage wasn't the only thing weighing on him: "My brother died [this year]...it was drug related." Scott added that the situation with his wife was "very complicated," as she left him to figure things out on his own when he needed her most: "I have a [new] girlfriend now...a model/actress/director." Scott told Howard that his wife left him for "Joe the Plumber" (not The "Joe the Plumber," just some guy) when he was in rehab: "I don't want to know anything about it...it'll eventually come out. It definitely drove me crazy - my biggest addiction was my wife...I'll always love her...whenever she needed help, I was there at home to detox her. Whenever I needed help, it was all, 'He can't be around here.'" Scott also noted that their break-up inspired a lot of the songs on "Happy in Galoshes."

• この英文中のtoについて

秋田大の入試の一節です。 Adult standards have been imposed upon his with too great an effect and  to  the detriment of his whole life. 「その子には大人の基準があまりに効果的に押し付けられたため、 生活全体が損なわれてしまっているのである。」 この最後の方のandはwithとtoを並列しているのですか? impose A with B to ~~なんていう熟語があるのでしょうか。 このtoがいまいちわかりません。 よろしくおねがいします。

• 英語の文法ミス指摘してください

I like this story because there are many points, which makes me thinking about what human-being happiness is many times. Even though, Robert has a physical disability, he enjoys his life more than me. He did not imply negative contents of his physical disability. On the contrary, he has great pride in himself. For example, when the wife offered him to move his staff to his room, he said, “it can go up when I go up”. He declined her gentle offer because he wanted to do whatever he could do it by himself because of his pride. Also, he alway tries enjoying his life. When the husband offers blind man to smoke together, he accepts that offer, and he said, “There is a first time for everything”. Although it was a first time to smoke, He didn't to hesitate to do it. He likes doing new challenge, which is worth doing. That is why he enjoys his life.