• ベストアンサー

pretty piece of magic

父の骨とう品の描写です。以下の訳で合っているでしょうか? And there was a little statue of that pretty piece of magic when Bottom was given ann ass's head. それに底に驢馬の頭が彫られた魔術用の小さな彫像もあった。 magicは奇術用の小物でしょうか? Bottomがなぜ大文字なのかもピンと来ません。 アドバイス何卒宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • askite
  • ベストアンサー率34% (10/29)
回答No.1

難解ですね。 これはひょっとしたら、Shakespeare の作品 "A Midsummer Night's Dream" からの一節でしょうか? "magic" は、その中に出てくる Oberon という王様が施す魔法のことかもしれません。「誰かが眠っている間に、その人の目に "magic juice" を垂らす。そうすると、目覚めたとき一番最初に見た人を愛する」というような内容のようです。 "Bottom" も人名ですね。"Nick Bottom" という Athens の職工らしいです。 "given ann ass's head" は "given an ass's head" の入力ミスでしょうか?

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

補足

askiteさん。ご回答ありがとうございます。 ご回答遅くなりました。 アイルランドの作家の一節です。 シェークスピアは無論読んでいると思います。 父の書斎の骨とうの描写で、他の文章にこれといった脈絡はありません。 annはanのタイプミスです。 Bottomは魔法にかけられて驢馬の頭になってしまったのしょうか? 多分。

関連するQ&A

• 高校のリーダーでわからない文章があり困っています!

Was this statue the only one of its kind, or were there more like it? Could this statue be connected in some way to the emperor's tomb? 秦の始皇帝陵の兵馬俑坑の発見についてのお話です。1974年、中国のある農民が古代中国の兵士達の彫像を次々と発見し、それが始皇帝の墓のすぐ近くにあるとわかったというあらすじの直後にこの文章がでてきました。 明日テストなのでなるべく早く回答よろしくお願いします!

• ロングマン英英とジーニアスの説明が違う!:at/in the back of one's mind

こんにちは、いつもお世話になります。 現在、ムアコック著「紅衣の公子コルム(Corum)(3)」という洋書(ファンタジー)を翻訳本と共に読み進めているのですが、 その中でこんな文章がありました。 背景:敵勢力に負けそうな中、神からのお告げで、「タネローンという町に着けば、援助を得られる」という。 その町を目指して旅をしていたコルム一行がやっとタネローンに着く。 そこで、コルムはある一つの彫像を見つける。 そのときのコルムの心理描写: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ And there was a slight suggestion of familiarity about it which made him begin to hope for, in the back of his mind, he equated this statue with salvation, though he did not know why. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 剣の王第3部3章百万の天体の結合(The Conjunction of the Million Spheres.) 斎藤伯良訳 ハヤカワ文庫 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ その姿になんとなく見おぼえがあり、コルムはふたたび希望をいだき始めた。なぜだか分からないが、コルムの心の奥に、この像を救い主と見なす気持ちがわいてきたのだ。 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ジーニアス英和辞典 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ At the back of one's mind 心の奥に(で). ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ロングマン英英 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ at/in the back of your mind a thought that is at the back of your mind is one you try to ignore because you do not want it to be true: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/back_2 (6番の説明です。) 結局、ロングマンとジーニアスの真っ向から対立する解説に、僕はどちらを信じて良いのか分かりません。 結局の所、コルムは、『心の奥でに』思ったのか、『そんな事は無いだろうが、と思いつつ』「その像を救い主と見なす気持ちがわいてきた」のかどっちなんでしょうか??? 教えてくださいよろしくお願い致します。

• 次の英文の和訳をお願いします。

次の英文の和訳をお願いします。 1.A census is an official record of who lived where on a given date.There have been censuses in the UK since 1801 and the information recorded has increased over time. 2.The guide telks you that when Michelangelo had finished this statue of Moses he was so thrilled by the figure he had created that, feeling it must come to life, he struck it on the knee with his hammer and commanded,"stand up!"

• a piece of は使わないといけないのでしょうか?

たびたび失礼します。 たとえば私はケーキを食べたという場合、 I ate cake.(I ate a cake) としていいのでしょうか? 辞書でcakeを見ると必ず、piece ofやslice ofがついています。 それじゃあ、I ate cakeという言い方は間違いなのかという 疑問をもってしまいます。辞書で調べるのは限界です。 どなたか教えてください。

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

Then he took up the pen. I can still smell the rain and hear it thundering about me, and feel it dripping on my head from the bough hanging above me. He raised his eyes and looked out at the rain. It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station between the tree and the window. I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain. Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he me, for it was growing dark. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面です。 ------------------------------------------ ●It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station ~・・・ここのmy stationとはどういう意味ですか? ●I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain.について a hunted piece of natureとはどういう意味ですか? ●Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he meについて he meのつながりがわかりません。どう読むのでしょうか? 前文は He did extract one long sheet of paper, and held it up. It was typewritten with a paragraph in handwriting at the bottom on the side visible from the window. He laid it side by side with another sheet of paper which was lying on the desk. I pressed close up to the window, intending to wave and smile if I was seen, and to call out that I was sheltering from the rain which was now coming down in thumps. But he kept his eyes on the two sheets of paper. There were other papers lying about the desk; I could not see what was on them. But I was quite convinced that he had been practising handwriting on them, and that he was in the process of forging his mother's will. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• 日本語訳を! 5-(2)

お願いします。 (4) Different towns in Egypt worshipped differnt gods. The leaders of the town would try to convince everyone that their god was the most powerful. If their god was powerful, it meant they were powerful, too. Before Upper and Lower Egypt were unified, each had its own capital with its own goddess. Upper Egypt's goddess looked like a vulture. Lower Egypt's goddess looked like a cobra. After Upper and Lower Egypt unified, the kings wore a crown with both a vulture and a cobra to symbolize the joining of the regions. (5) One of the pharaoh's most important jobs was to take care of the gods. If the gods were happy, the Egyptians figured they would be happy, too. The crops would grow, the Nile would flood to the right level, and Egypt would be at peace with its neighbors. Life would be in balance, or ma'at. The pharaohs built great temples to show respect to the gods. Inside each temple, in the innermost room, they placed a shrine. And inside the shrine, they kept a statue of the god for whom the temple had been built. Every day the priests served the statue as if it were alive. (6) One pharaoh, King Neferhotep (who ruled about 1741 to 1730 BCE), paid special attention to the temple at Abydos. King Neferhotep wanted to be sure the priests were taking care of the statue exactly as they were supposed to take care of it. After all, those priests were the king's representatives. So if they displeased the gods, then the gods were displeased with the king as well. Ma'at would be thrown all out of whack.

• 英文を訳して下さい。

Soviets also sprang up throughout the area and, in time, organized an influential Regional Center at Tiflis using the loyalty of the Russian Armenians. Hakob Zavriev was instrumental in having Ozakom issue a decree about the administration of the occupied territories. This region was officially identified as "the land of Turkish Armenia" and transferred to a civilian rule under Zavriev, who oversaw districts Trebizon, Erzurum, Bitlis, and Van. Each of the districts under Administration for Western Armenia had their own Armenian governor, with Armenian civil officials. The position of the Caucasian Muslems was different though membership was drown from ethnically representatives of Duma deputies. In November 1917, the first government of the independent Transcaucasia was created in Tbilisi as the "Transcaucasian Commissariat (Sejm)" replaced "Transcaucasian Committee" following the Bolshevik seizure of power in St. Petersburg. It was headed by a Georgian Menshevik Nikolay Chkheidze. On December 5, 1917, this new "Transcaucasian Committee" given the endorsement to Armistice of Erzincan that was signed with the Ottoman command of Third Army. This was followed with what is known as Trabzon peace nogetions. On February 10, 1918, the Sejm gathered and made the decision to establish independence. On February 24, 1918, Sejm proclaimed Transcaucasia independent under Transcaucasian Democratic Federative Republic. Headed by the Georgian Social Democrat Evgeni Gegechkori, Transcaucasian Commissariat was anti-Bolshevik in its political goals and sought the separation of Transcaucasia from Bolshevik Russia. The committee ignored the Social Democratic hegemony in the region and provoked the Soviet to demand its abolition. The 1917 Canadian federal election (sometimes referred to as the khaki election) was held on December 17, 1917, to elect members of the Canadian House of Commons of the 13th Parliament of Canada. Described by historian Michael Bliss as the "most bitter election in Canadian history", it was fought mainly over the issue of conscription (see Conscription Crisis of 1917). The election resulted in Prime Minister Sir Robert Borden's Unionist government elected with a strong majority and the largest percentage of the popular vote for any party in Canadian history.

• a piece of plastic

He slept another 3 hours with one ear nestled against a piece of plastic. この場合のa piece of plasticとは耳栓のことでしょうか? それとも枕のことでしょうか?それとも別の物でしょうか? 「さらに3時間、彼は片耳を塞いで眠った」的な意味かと思っているのですが。 アドバイスをよろしくお願いします。

• piece of my wish

今井美樹君のpiece of my wish メチャいい曲と思いませんか? 僕はカラオケでフレンドさんと コラボしたりします

• peace of shitとは、どういう意味なのでしょうか?

こんにちは、この前学校で、たまたま映画で覚えたpeace of shitという文を、冗談半分で英語の時間に友達に言ったら、先生に、「どんな教育しているんだ」みたいな目で本気で睨まれました。 そんなに悪い言葉のですか?教えてください。それと綴りがたぶん違います。 それで、peace of shitを覚えるときに、文の前に「Fuck you ナアヨウアpeace of shit!!」と、言っていたのですが、ここのカタカナの部分に当たる言葉を誰かわかりませんか?わかるのなら、お手数ですが、綴りと単語を教えてください。 宜しくお願い致します。